can you counter a counter spell?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
For instance a regular opponent I play against uses Sanguine Bond (and a lot of life gaining cards, so they usually win the game that way) - and I have to destroy or stop Sanguine Bond from being cast. Normally I use Counterspell , Solemn Offering or ideally a card like Counterbore which would get rid of all of them.

My question is - this regular opponent also has Dawn Charm and when I try to counter the Sanguine Bond they belive they can counter my counter and therefore still cast Sanguine Bond.

?
For instance a regular opponent I play against uses Sanguine Bond (and a lot of life gaining cards, so they usually win the game that way) - and I have to destroy or stop Sanguine Bond from being cast. Normally I use Counterspell , Solemn Offering or ideally a card like Counterbore which would get rid of all of them.

My question is - this regular opponent also has Dawn Charm and when I try to counter the Sanguine Bond they belive they can counter my counter and therefore still cast Sanguine Bond.

?

You can counter a counterspell, but not with Dawn Charm.  The counterspell doesn't target the player, so Dawn Charm can't target the counterspell.

Yes you can counter a counter.
Dawn Charm wouldn't work though, your Counterspell is not targeting him, it is targeting a spell on the stack.
MTG Rules Advisor
Despite what this fella would have you believe, you can counter counterspells: www.youtube.com/watch?v=g21_tARcHRc

Sorry, off topic I know, but it's still funny months after having watched it the first time. ^^

More seriously though, as both Rudolf and K-Mogg have said, you can typically counter counterspells, but not with Dawn Charm, unless the counter also targets you (although off the top of my head I can't think of any counters that target both a spell and a player). So Counterspell can counter Negate, but Dawn Charm cannot. 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Despite what this fella would have you believe, you can counter counterspells: www.youtube.com/watch?v=g21_tARcHRc

Sorry, off topic I know, but it's still funny months after having watched it the first time. ^^

More seriously though, as both Rudolf and K-Mogg have said, you can typically counter counterspells, but not with Dawn Charm, unless the counter also targets you (although off the top of my head I can't think of any counters that target both a spell and a player). So Counterspell can counter Negate, but Dawn Charm cannot. 

I feel an overwhelming urge to verbally assault the guy doing that video after watching it and a few others of his. I think my IQ went down watching them.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

Hey, I've recently started playing MTG, and I was wondering if I used Pacifism, my opponent used Spell Pierce, would I be able to counter that with Essence Scatter?
Hey, I've recently started playing MTG, and I was wondering if I used Pacifism, my opponent used Spell Pierce, would I be able to counter that with Essence Scatter?

No,Spell Pierce is not a creature spell.

Next time, please start a new thread, rather than add to an old thread.

No

Ninja'd by 23 seconds

How to autocard: [c]gravecrawler[/c] = gravecrawler Find me on kingdomofloathing.com as Adamantois

I am now a rules advisor, thanks rules forum, you guys are awesome and knowledgable.

Damn... Lols Thank you ^_^
Okay so if my opponent use Spiral Pierce again, could I counter with Offering to Asha and/or Overrule? And with Overrule, the mana cost is 1 water, 1 light, and X. Is the X cost how ever many I want to use?
Okay so if my opponent use Spiral Pierce again, could I counter with Offering to Asha and/or Overrule? And with Overrule, the mana cost is 1 water, 1 light, and X. Is the X cost how ever many I want to use?

Yes, you can use either or those spells to try and counter Spell Pierce.  And, you can choose whatever value you want for X, as long as you have the mana to pay for it.

Sign In to post comments