1001 Uses for Shadow Coffin

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Executioner has a fun power: Shadow Coffin.  effectively, it gives you the ability to scoop up the corpse of a badguy you've killed, assumably to show to whoever hired you to kill him, or just so that other bad guys don't find the body.

This thread is to think of other uses for the power:

1.  Troll Grenade
As your Shadow Coffin, select an easily broken item, like a glass bottle.  Kill a troll without using fire or acid.  Scoop up the body in your Shadow Coffin.  The next round it will resurrect and begin regenerating, but will remain safely trapped inside the coffin.  Throw the grenade at a desired target, then hide.  Congratulations, you just threw a very angry troll at somebody.

2.  Barbarian Grenade
This is the same concept as above, except the target killed should be an ally of yours with one of the many "if you are killed, you rise with half hitpoints." Epic Destiny features.  Kill and bottle your ally (with his permission, of course!) then throw him at someone who displeases you.  Surprise!
3.  Crushing Defeat
There is no size or weight restriction on the target of your Shadow Coffin.  This mean you could kill a Kraken or something really stupid-big and bottle it.  Then you can throw it at someone, the bottle breaks, and bam, they're sitting under 20 tons of rotting eldritch horror.
Shadow Coffin requires that you kill a target. A troll does not die when you reduce it to 0 hit points without fire or acid, it just falls unconscious. I'm not sure you could target it with Shadow Coffin in this way.
Shadow Coffin requires that you kill a target. A troll does not die when you reduce it to 0 hit points without fire or acid, it just falls unconscious. I'm not sure you could target it with Shadow Coffin in this way.

I'm looking at the troll entry in the compendium, and the ability in question says nothing about the troll not dying.  It just reads: "If the troll is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer by an attack that does not deal acid or fire damage, it rises on its next turn (as a move action) with 15 hit points."

as far as I can tell, it dies, then gets better.
Hmm... I'm looking at the Compendium entry as well and this is what I see:

Troll Healing (healing)

Whenever an attack that doesn’t deal acid or fire damage reduces the troll to 0 hit points, the troll does not die and instead falls unconscious until the start of its next turn, when it returns to life with 15 hit points. If an attack hits the troll and deals any acid or fire damage while the troll is unconscious, it does not return to life in this way.
Which troll are you looking at?  Are different trolls worded differently?  I copied my quite directly from the compendium, so...

Your troll would not work in a grenade, but mine, it appears, would.  *Shrug*

EDIT: I found the troll you've got there, just "troll".  All the other trolls have either the ability I quoted or one that's worded mostly like mine but with the bit about fire or acid being applied after death to prevent resurrection.
I copied my entry directly from the Compendium as well. I am looking at the "Troll", the level 9 Brute out of the Monster Manual. Though I just checked the actual entry in the Monster Manual and the wording is identical to the text you quoted, but in the Compendium it is as I quoted. That's strange, it appears to be the only troll in the Compendium with that wording. Which troll are you looking at?
4. Loot Saver
Killed the treasure laden Bad guy and now his caslte is collapsing? Suck up his body, and loot it after you get to safety.

5. Loot carrier
give the really heavy artifacts and treasure to a soon to be dead goblin and kill him then suck him up for easy carrying of priceless treasures
6. Lockbox.  Equip a rat or other creature with whatever you want to lock away.  Then hide said creature in an adamantite cube (or other suitably indestructible object), for a safe that only you can open, even if anyone even knew what it really was.  For extra laughs, do this with a real safe.  Would-be thieves break open the safe and find...nothing.
Nice. I'm linking this one in the Executioner's Guide.
Even better than a lockbox; hidden lockbox:

Kill whatever rat with pockets you have holding your goods, and make the coffin a wineglass. Put the glass in a rack with 50 others of the same kind, and a chest/safe/strongbox with some valuable items that you don't mind if they get stolen. Any theives would take the contents of the chest unaware there was anything else of value in the room.
Frame-up: use it to smuggle a body into a secure area. Leave the corpse in the room of someone you don't like and let them try to explain to the authorities how it got in there.
You may want to bear Bag of Rats in mind here.  I don't think any sane DM would let you use those 'equip a rat with X' tricks.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
7. Extracting Poison Materials: Your assassin can't very well carry that ancient dragon all by himself to extract the materials needed for your Dragon Bile poison, so you send him away into your coffin for later use when you have time (i.e. extended rest) :D

8. Emergency food storage: Slay something big that your character would cook and eat (cow, shark, person -CANNIBALISM!!-, etc etc etc).  In the event that your character finds him/herself without his/her equipment due to being kidnapped or robbed from, which will be embarrassing on your part, you can at least release your emergency food from your boot or sock they didn't take from you.  Best know how to cook.  I'd suggest a nice, tasty fish.

9. Framing Someone:
Step one: Kill a random civilian (if you're evil or neutral, this should come naturally to you).
Step two: Infiltrate a targeted household or building with epic ninja stealth.
Step three: Make sure your scapegoat's home.
Step four: Release body of some poor citizen you killed in the house.
Step five: Leave the building quietly with your ninja stealth and call for a guard that you heard screaming from a building while you were on your way to the bar.
Step six: profit.
Frame-up: use it to smuggle a body into a secure area. Leave the corpse in the room of someone you don't like and let them try to explain to the authorities how it got in there.

I had posted uses for it and submitted THEN saw your post XD LMAO!

Good to see like-minded assassins ;) Happy hunting! 
Trophy Collecting:

Eventually you will want to retire and start your own wax museum.
11. Kill an elemental to be able to release a suitable amount of an element at will.
The various elementals all have suitably nasty bodies to be thrown at an enemy. 

11a)/1a): Anything else suitably nasty and/or poisonous. Oozes anyone? Golems? Really anything that your enemy really doesn't want all over him.  
You may want to bear Bag of Rats in mind here.  I don't think any sane DM would let you use those 'equip a rat with X' tricks.

Bag o Rats is explicitly to limit the twisting of combat abilities that need you to kill enemies to trigger off innocuous things.  That is, if I recharge an encounter power every time I kill something, I just grab a rat from my bag and kill it.
Bag 'o Rats is calling out that kind of combat abuse.

Shadow coffin is another situation entirely:
1. It calls out "creature" rather than "enemy," which implies that friends, foes or rodents are all equally valid targets.
2. It's not a combat power (troll grenades aside).  Allowing a player to trap a rat isn't abusive from a mechanical standpoint, as it does them no more good to trap a rat than to trap a human.
3. There's no fluff reason to disallow rats as a target of shadow coffin.  If I can trap a dragon, I can trap a fuzzy little animal.
4.  Disallowing it encourages players to murder random townsfolk.  While a good DM enforces consequences of actions, it may not be wise to give a trained assassin even more reasons to become a serial murderer.

Which is to say, "any sane DM" is more likely to ALLOW this than disallow it.

Troll grenades, on the other hand, are far more likely to get the kibosh. 
You could use it to get past "airport" security. Kill some one and load them down with weapons, you armor, whatever you can't normally take past security. When you get in get your stuff out and go to town.
I don't know what number we're on.

12?: Fake your own death.
Hire spme guy with about your build to wear an appoxamation of your attire, then kill him in such a way that his face is totally mutilated, and shadow coffin him.  When you need someone to think you're dead, duck behind something and let out a bloodcurdling screm, then smash the coffin and use any of your various invisibility spells to escape.  Whoever is persuing you will find the body and think that some kind of assassin killed you.

Bonus Points: as a Changeling or Traveller's Harlequin, after killing someone, take on his appearance and make it your own, live your life as the guy in your coffin, then when it's time to fake your death, enact the above maneuver, and take the form of someone else.  You can then take the credit for killing the horrible assassin that's been plaguing the city, collecting your own (sizeable) bounty.  Find a new identity to steal and repeat as necessary.

Bonus Points: as a Changeling or Traveller's Harlequin, after killing someone, take on his appearance and make it your own, live your life as the guy in your coffin, then when it's time to fake your death, enact the above maneuver, and take the form of someone else.  You can then take the credit for killing the horrible assassin that's been plaguing the city, collecting your own (sizeable) bounty.  Find a new identity to steal and repeat as necessary.

That....is something I should consider doing....
13?: Death By Maggots.
Kill a Larva Mage (MM p175) and place him in your shadowcoffin.  He will then turn into innumberable worms and maggots.  When you wish to deal someone an absurd amount of damage, break the "maggot grenade" at their feet, then hit them with Shadow Storm (An O-Assassin at will obtainiable by being a human) which adds +1 damage for every creature adjacent to the target.

It's not clear how many maggots comprise a Larva Mage, but it appears to be in the thousands.  Of course, this is a clear violation of the bag of rats rule (as the resulting maggots are "harmless vermin" according to the entry) but if you can get it waived this would probably be a sure kill.

... must... do... this... now! You could just keep doing it, too. Make a monopoly of your many deaths by researching the best assassins in your region and killing them, impersonating them taking the job to kill the current best assassin you're impersonating, and "killing" your current self. You'd make a killing*!

14(?): "And you'll never be seen again."
You're brawling with a bunch of thugs working for a guy you're being paid to take out. But you need info, not blood on your blade. You kill all but two. You kill one and use Shadow Coffin, in the open and for the other to see. Now you get chatty. You tell him how you just captured that person for all eternity; a fate worse than death. If he's your last hope and he's uncooperative, you'll just have to show him how death can get even worse when administered by your hand. If the average thug doesn't break down sobbing at the prospect of eternity in darkness, then you're doing it wrong. Note: since you steal their body and leave no trace (unless your DM ruled that their arm got cut off during an awesome hit or something), it would actually be rather difficult to raise such a person captured from the dead. Even BBEGs wise to your game would fear death at your hand, if only because there'd be no escape.

*I win everything forever.
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
Are there any rules on what is or can be your shadow coffin?
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Are there any rules on what is or can be your shadow coffin?

It can't be magical, and it must be "on your person".  Other than that, whatever you want.  It could be a non-magic ring, a fake eye, a coin, or a rock, doesn't matter.
15:  It's just a wafer-thin mint...
Use a tiny digestable item as your coffin, and trap a very large creature inside it, or something very pointy.  The item should be small and durable enough to survive the forking and chewing, so that it is swallowed whole, but soluble in stomach acid.  Once swallowed, the coffin will be digested, and the occupant released full-sized into his stomach.  You should be behind something when this happens, as the resulting explosion should be impressive.

Wealthy people often have magic items which detect poison or make them immune to it, so this is a good alternative for a culinary-based assassination.
That would work... you need something that is traditionally swallowed whole.

I'm not sure if a Lich's Phylactery is magical, otherwise you could trap a dead Lich in his own Phylactery for your own amusement. I wonder how it'd react to that.

You could also trap the (still dead) victim of a Vampire Lord in the coffin (suitable name for that one) to get an Angry Vampire Grenade.

If wonder if you can wire it so that Assassins with an equipped coffin can be killed and then put into a new coffin with their own coffin equipped... if you make a suitably large bang you could create an entire cascade of corpses of dead assassins.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
16: No body, no crime.
By using Shadow Coffin, there are no remains to tie you to the murder. This is good for avoiding constables and jail cells in a more cosmopolitan or modern game. Without any proof that the victim is dead you could walk free even if you are suspected depending on the local laws.
Effect: The target disappears and is trapped in a nonmagical object of your choice on your person (such as a handheld mirror, a small gem, or a piece of jewelry). The target remains trapped until you release it or until the object is destroyed. To release the target into an adjacent square, you must hold the object and concentrate for 1 minute.

I see a lot of 'throw the breakable object at someone'-uses. The above does not specify that it has to be breakable (nor even a container) and the target doesn't get released when the item is broken. Instead, the Essassin has to hold it and concentrate for 1 minute (10 rounds!)

That said:
17.  A great distraction! Just climb up on the clocktower in the middle of the city market square and drop the corpse of a nice and terrible being in the middle. Or, if you're evil, just drop a Purple Worm corpse on their heads.
Heroic Dungeon Master
Effect: The target disappears and is trapped in a nonmagical object of your choice on your person (such as a handheld mirror, a small gem, or a piece of jewelry). The target remains trapped until you release it or until the object is destroyed. To release the target into an adjacent square, you must hold the object and concentrate for 1 minute.

I see a lot of 'throw the breakable object at someone'-uses. The above does not specify that it has to be breakable (nor even a container) and the target doesn't get released when the item is broken. Instead, the Essassin has to hold it and concentrate for 1 minute (10 rounds!)

That said:
17.  A great distraction! Just climb up on the clocktower in the middle of the city market square and drop the corpse of a nice and terrible being in the middle. Or, if you're evil, just drop a Purple Worm corpse on their heads.

I bolded the sentence before the one you bolded. If the object is broken, the target is released. You only have to concentrate to release the target without breaking the item.
In that case, 'Grenades away!'

Should teach me to read somewhat better instead of just skimming for changes. 
Heroic Dungeon Master
That would work... you need something that is traditionally swallowed whole.

Or so small it doesn't even register: a grain of salt with a thin wax covering would work fine.

If wonder if you can wire it so that Assassins with an equipped coffin can be killed and then put into a new coffin with their own coffin equipped... if you make a suitably large bang you could create an entire cascade of corpses of dead assassins.

Well, if each assassin used as their coffin something that "broke" of it's own accord over time: a moist solid ball of clay, for example, would crack and fall apart as it dried.  Assassin 2 kills assassin 1 and puts him in his moist clay coffin, and it then killed by assassin 3.  Inside Assassin 3's clay ball, assassin 2's clay ball shatters, releasing assassin 1 into the same coffin as assassin 2.  When Assassin 3's ball shatters, two assassins will emerge.

In theory, you could do this ad infinitum, though I suspect the mechanism is much like bags of holding, in that if one shadow coffin is placed inside another "something bad" happens.
Is that rule still in 4e? I never saw anything like it.
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
Is that rule still in 4e? I never saw anything like it.

No, it isn't.  But then it was a pretty frequently exploited rule: I once saw a diagram of a "reality-warp missile" and arrow with an unusial "warhead".  It consisted of a portable hole and a bag of holding, with a mechanism to push the former into the latter on impact.  The resulting tear in reality was capable of erasing things from existance.

It appears they've made an effort to eliminate alot of those extraneous rules to avoid wierd things like that and assumably to simplify the usage of the items in question.  Still, I know alot of DMs who play with old rules like that in place.
Something I just thought of.

18. Golem Elevator.  Kill a golem (preferably rock or some other solid material like that) and scoop it up into a small glass bead or similiarly small and easily breakable object. Place it on the ground and stomp on it. The golem pops into existence under your feet and you are now either launched into the air, OR you are now standing on top of a very tall golem.
Think the Ossassin sucks? Think again! Check out my attempt at a fix!
19: The Ganon Conundrum - High Epic Only

Recurring villains got you down? Do cultists keep resurrecting your arch-nemesis? This time, Shadow Coffin the jerk into a rock somewhere and just leave him. They're sure as heck not going to find him in there.  edit: Be sure to chuck the rock into the forest so you don't know where it is. If you know, then the Mystic Sages (as in Consult Mystic Sages) know and they might tell. Just lose the bloody thing completely.

Depending on how your DM understands the wording, trap the BBEG in a seed and then plant it in a druid's sacred grove somewhere. The seed is not "destroyed" by germinating, but is no longer available to be destroyed. Your bad guy is lost in a pocket dimension forever. Serves 'em right. Worst case scenario, your hated foe is now a tree and you've got a free lineage of guardians to keep it that way, albeit unknowingly.
19: The Ganon Conundrum - High Epic Only

Recurring villains got you down? Do cultists keep resurrecting your arch-nemesis? This time, Shadow Coffin the jerk into a rock somewhere and just leave him. They're sure as heck not going to find him in there.  edit: Be sure to chuck the rock into the forest so you don't know where it is. If you know, then the Mystic Sages (as in Consult Mystic Sages) know and they might tell. Just lose the bloody thing completely.

Depending on how your DM understands the wording, trap the BBEG in a seed and then plant it in a druid's sacred grove somewhere. The seed is not "destroyed" by germinating, but is no longer available to be destroyed. Your bad guy is lost in a pocket dimension forever. Serves 'em right. Worst case scenario, your hated foe is now a tree and you've got a free lineage of guardians to keep it that way, albeit unknowingly.

The only problem with this plan, is you lose your shadow coffin power as long as the corpse is trapped.

The only problem with this plan, is you lose your shadow coffin power as long as the corpse is trapped.

Exactly - hence the "High Epic Only" stipulation. I'm not willing to part with Shadow Coffin for multiple tiers, but at level 27 to keep some Horrible Evil under wraps permanently? That's a trade I'll make.
Sign In to post comments