CB bugs Dec 21, 2010

153 posts / 0 new
Last post
While the update's not out yet, i figure i'd start a thead a little early to catch all the new/remaining bugs CB and help keep them all in once place.

So post them here when you find them.

Known Issues

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

A new bug seems to be that, like the Armor choices, a number of magic weapon options are missing due to poor parsing - Spear is being read as the weapon, not the group for a number of weapons.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Trying to print the character sheet to pdf creates a blank pdf. Also first page of character sheet still defaults to essentials style.
Edit: The later seems to work now. It seems they meant it'll default to what choice of sheet you made last time.

The list of known issues has been updated!

wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg...
rod expertise does not appear to be adding the to hit bonus for hexblade attacks that are weapon and implement powers (i.e Icy Skewer, Piercing Shard, etc) when rod is equipped in offhand. (works fine on the hexblades implement only powers)

EDIT: oh look at that; it's a "known issue". 
Sentinel Druids don't get their alternate stats added to AC.  But I noted this earlier that it didn't appear in the compendium.
On Essentials: Everyone deserves to play a class they enjoy. Hex Grid UserAndroid UserD&DMapTools
Dungeons & Dragons Compendium
Our House Rules
Index of 4e Errata
It's good to see that they've acknowledged that Crescent Moon isn't working properly (it's a good power, but both Character Builders fail to get it right).

Also, on one of my characters at least, saving throw bonuses are being displayed in the "Conditional Bonuses" space under Defences as well as in the space under "Saving Throw Mods".
Tibis Refugee of many worlds
Just built an Infernal pact Hexblade and the Builder gave me BOTH pact weapons instead of just the Infernal pact one.

Edit:Ah I started as a Fey pact and switched, I see where that is listed under known issues already.
Beguiling Strands spell. Base push of target is 3 squares. Enchanters get a +2 to the force movement in squares. So the new push in squares of 5 isn't showing on the power card.

Same thing with the Orb Expertise feat the addition squares in force movement isn't showing.

And please please please sort the powers.  I mean really...
Improved Power Strike for Essentials melee classes doesn't seem to be appearing on list of class features (it did prior to stability fix, noticed it disappeared few hours before todays update) for Slayer and Knight. I think it also happens for Improved Backstab for Thief. Just tried it with Scout and it appeared for him, but only one checkbox got added to the power card (I think they gain additional uses more than once?)

Edit: Correction - thieves show three checkboxes for Backtab
I can't make a Songblade Khopesh. The khopesh is a heavy blade, so it should work, but it doesn't. It works when I import it, but it would be cool if I could import a character and post-import, label it as "Forgotten Realms" instead of "Custom.' I realize it makes little or no difference, but if it really doesn't make a difference, why does it matter what you pick? I can't import a character, for example, and put it in Dark Sun to get a theme, can I?
When I save my characters, it loses all the PC fluff info, name, age, weight, height.  I fill all that in, the tab shows green, I save type character and the tab shows I have not named my character, and all those fields are reset to the default.
No support for Item Sets.  A character with 3/5 Blade Dancer's Regalia has no AC bonus, no set card, no set tags, no nothing.

Edit: They must have hotfixed this.  They are now showing! Whoo hoo!

For all classes and races: In the feats section, the racial and class feats category is GONE.  You can no longer pick them...

Think you guys need to hotfix this one.  That's pretty bad...

Neither Dragonborn nor Humans (maybe other races) cannot choose Constitution for their ability bonus.  Dragonborn gives you a choice, but you can only choose Strength.  Human gives you a choice of any ability score, but Constitution. 
Neither Dragonborn nor Humans (maybe other races) cannot choose Constitution for their ability bonus.  Dragonborn gives you a choice, but you can only choose Strength.  Human gives you a choice of any ability score, but Constitution. 

Choosing Constitution works fine for me both for Humans and Dragonborn.
Yes.  I went into Chrome and tried it the CB on that browser.  Works fine now, retaining the character info, letting me pick Con, etc....

I think what happened is that I updated a level 21 half-elf that I had previously made in the online CB.  I went to save it and the CB froze.  I restarted and could not reload by half-elf.  restarted again, and started playing around  with some other characters.  Weird stuff started happening, like being unable to choose male, constitution, losing Pc info, the xp was being set to 175,000 but the level wasn't changing, etc...

All is working fine when I went to the chrome CB, but still cannot reload my level 21 half-elf.  I think that file got corrupted and is now corrupting the rest of my CB. 
Five of the languages from Forgotten Realms (Netherese, Shou, Thayan, Tulgan, and Untheric) have no description, and strangely will keep the description of whatever previous language you click on for a summary of.  Also in Heroes of the Fallen Lands it says the Revenant is a playable race in Essentials, but whenever you go through Essentials quick character or the Encounters steps of making a character the Revenant is never a choice.  Is this something that will be added latter like the Executioner, Assassin?
I just want to confirm that the entry in the Known Issues list that states, "Inherent bonuses are always enabled" is actually correct. Can anyone verify how it's implemented? When I tried creating a level 8 character and went to the marketplace, I wasn't shown level 1-3 items until I changed the setting. Is that what this entry means? Or does it mean that, if I select +1 armor it will continue to increase my A/C at the expected levels without me having to buy new armor? If that's the case, then if I buy +2 armor, will it make my A/C +1 too high at later levels due to the inherent bonuses?
We had the benefit of using the beta Assassin for months in the original CB, but after 3 months none of the versions of Essential Assassins have shown up in the new CB.

Hexblade Star Pact (Nov 5th) is not in the CB.

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

I just want to confirm that the entry in the Known Issues list that states, "Inherent bonuses are always enabled" is actually correct. Can anyone verify how it's implemented? When I tried creating a level 8 character and went to the marketplace, I wasn't shown level 1-3 items until I changed the setting. Is that what this entry means? Or does it mean that, if I select +1 armor it will continue to increase my A/C at the expected levels without me having to buy new armor? If that's the case, then if I buy +2 armor, will it make my A/C +1 too high at later levels due to the inherent bonuses?

Inherent bonuses are suppose to always be trumped by equipment bonuses, therefore even if it were always on, it should not add to the equipment and armor, but it will add to a character that does not have an item with a bonus.

So, a 8th lvl chr without magic armor will get the bonus, or if the armor bonus is less than the IB, it will get the IB instead.  This in theory is how it is suppose to work.

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

Inherent bonuses are suppose to always be trumped by equipment bonuses, therefore even if it were always on, it should not add to the equipment and armor, but it will add to a character that does not have an item with a bonus.

So, a 8th lvl chr without magic armor will get the bonus, or if the armor bonus is less than the IB, it will get the IB instead.  This in theory is how it is suppose to work.

Not trumped, but they don't stack.

Thus if you had a +2 item, but a +3 inherited bonus, you'll get +3, which can be an issue.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Syberys Shard of the Mage doesn't work on my Swordmage|Wizard.  It shows up with an equip button, but clicking on it does nothing, and it's not added.

guides
Power
my builds

-- Can only choose female for gender.
-- Saving a new character with no gender appears to blank the name out
-- Human intermittently  not available as a racial choice. 
-- Loading a male character and saving it will change it to female and make it not able to be loaded again.  
I could not duplicate the above gender issues.

My bad, poor choice of wording on my part, you are correct.

I have tried clearing my cache and loading CB again. I am using FireFox 3.6  and I am still not getting any choices but female and locking up on import or loading of a previously male character..

Exporting shows:
Quinten

name
5' 10"

NOTE: stupid BBS software keeps hiding the HTML code no matter what I do to show it.

I have tried clearing my cache and loading CB again. I am using FireFox 3.6  and I am still not getting any choices but female and locking up on import or loading of a previously male character.

I don't see the issue either.  i have at least 1 male/female/neither.

Try making him from scratch.

guides
Power
my builds

I have tried clearing my cache and loading CB again. I am using FireFox 3.6  and I am still not getting any choices but female and locking up on import or loading of a previously male character.

I don't see the issue either.  i have at least 1 male/female/neither.

Try making him from scratch.

I did, here is what I get.

First: No Human listed...
 No Human

Second... when I do pick a race: No Male

No Male

EDIT: and just to verify Human was not listed.. I tried search
still no human 
Weird.

Only other thing i can think of is to export then delete all your characters, hopefully import them again.

guides
Power
my builds

I'd try forced redownload (shift+f5 should do probably) of the application before that - looks like it might have not downloaded properly.

Thus if you had a +2 item, but a +3 inherited bonus, you'll get +3, which can be an issue.

Well, this isn't working for me in all instances. For example, I created an identical Hybrid Battlemind/Ardent in both the online CB and offline CB. The online CB shows an A/C of 23, while the offline CB shows an A/C of 24.

When I export the character from the online CB into the offline, I see that "Spellscarred" and "Harper" are checked, while "Inherent Bonuses" is not. When I de-select Spellscarred and Harper and then select Inherent Bonuses, the A/C calculates correctly as 24. When I then import that corrected character back into the online CB, the A/C then correctly shows up as 24. (So that's the workaround, I guess.)

Also, as an added annoyance, the character portrait (Wilden) from the online CB instead shows as ClassPortWarden when imported into the offline CB.

If there's a way to attach those export files to this forum for others to investigate, I haven't found it.
Also, as an added annoyance, the character portrait (Wilden) from the online CB instead shows as ClassPortWarden when imported into the offline CB.

One strange thing I also noticed was that when I exported my character from the offline CB to the online CB, it actually kept my portrait from the offline CB! I wonder if that's a workaround to use custom portraits? (It shows up on my online CB character sheet when I print it, but on the "Load a Character" screen, it shows "no portrait selected" even though it appears when the character is loaded.) I haven't tested further, though.
I'd try forced redownload (shift+f5 should do probably) of the application before that - looks like it might have not downloaded properly.

Tried that and clearing local cache... still not getting human as a choice (looking before picking any class).  followed by no male choice.

Still no Signs of the Earth Warpriest, i don't understand why, because the Dragon 392 should be availiable with the new Character Builder Build.
Weird.

Only other thing i can think of is to export then delete all your characters, hopefully import them again.

I exported all of the characters and if I clear CACHE I can see human and male initially. But if I try to import the human paladin I have, it locks up for over 10 minutes (I forced refreshed) and that seems to remove human and male as an option for a character.

tried in both FireFox and Chrome, both had the same reaction...  
We had the benefit of using the beta Assassin for months in the original CB, but after 3 months none of the versions of Essential Assassins have shown up in the new CB.

Hexblade Star Pact (Nov 5th) is not in the CB.

Dragon #393 won't be until next month. Therefore no Star Pact or Winter Pact Hexblades until January.

Dragon is always on a two month delay, rather than one month (ideally) for books. If the CB crew is "on track" as claimed, then this should be true going forward (barring months with holidays, apparently).

Sadly, this means no Executioner until February. 

Still no Signs of the Earth Warpriest, i don't understand why, because the Dragon 392 should be availiable with the new Character Builder Build.

I was able to select Earth as a Domain for Warpriest just a few minutes ago.

Tried that and clearing local cache... still not getting human as a choice (looking before picking any class).  followed by no male choice.

Sounds like your character is borked. I would recreate him from scratch.
Just found the Earth Warpriest, but there is a bug.... The Power Weight of Earth is in the Character Builder  the power the Warden use.
Just found the Earth Warpriest, but there is a bug.... The Power Weight of Earth is in the Character Builder  the power the Warden use.

In the CB, care to share how you found it?