Wizards' Interactive Character Sheet for Gamma World

77 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's free content (so far, ALL GW content has been free, yay!), and it's here:

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

Thoughts?

Here's mine: Like the original character sheet in the Gamma World box, it's not useful as a real character sheet. You'd need to supplement it with additional sheets and/or cards for your powers, for example.

There's also an error in the way it creates higher level characters: It assigns your primary origin's expert power at level 5 and your secondary origin's at level 9 -- except that's not the way it works by the rules as written, on page 32.

All in all it's not BAD as a quick character generator, but it's nowhere equal to the D&D Character Builder (offline or online versions, either one). And you're gonna need to use another character sheet of some kind anyway.

Full disclosure: I'm someone who has created character sheets for GW.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.

Other quirks:

1. No way I can see to set Engineered Human in the pulldown lists of origins. You can choose Engineered Human by setting your secondary origin equal to your primary origin. No way to choose EH as a primary, though.
2. No way to choose which Uber Benefit you choose at level 10.
3. Doesn't choose your weapons/armor for you if you pick "random" (and won't let you carry more than one ranged weapon and one melee weapon).
4. Lets you equip both a shield and a two-handed weapon.
5. No way to enter ability scores you've rolled up with dice, or to change the random skill bonus you get.
6. It lists all traits for both origins, including overcharge bonus for the secondary origin. (It's been a judgment call so far on the boards whether both origins provide overcharge bonuses or just one; is this a data point in favor of both?)
7. According to the copyright notice at the bottom, you can't use this sheet for store or convention games.
8. Serious problem: I think the ranged weapon calculations are off. I tried making up a Hawkoid Felinoid with 11 Str, 10 Con, and light weapons. My melee stats are right -- +3 weapon accuracy, +3 dex bonus, +1 level = +7 attack bonus; +3 dex bonus, +1 level = +4 damage bonus -- but my ranged stats are wrong (+4 attack, +1 damage).  Switching to a light two-handed gun still gave me just a +5 attack, +1 damage -- when it should be +8 attack, +4 damage. I switched to a heavy two-handed gun and got +6 attack, +4 damage -- which would be right if I had 16 Str or Con.
9. Another serious problem: It's not calculating hit points correctly. First noted by FlashbackJon below.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.

While limited, I could see some uses for this for having people quickly throwing a character together without shuffling books, then writing out the full information on proper sheets (like some of the ones you have done Oraibi, they are a big hit with my group).  And I was really hoping it would vaguely clear up the overcharge questions, but since its still listing all traits and doesn't allow a primary Engineered Human its not helpful for that.

If only it was an iPhone app it would be perfect though (we have like 4 of them at the table).

Far more important to me though was the announcement with it that The Workshop of Misfit Omega Tech adventure comes out tomorrow!

It looks pretty.

Like how it generally knows what goes where and does the math. Like the random generation feature, but if I went with this sheet I wouldn't be using it. I like to stay grounded with dice whenever possible because that's just more fun.

As functionality goes, yeah, no where near as impressive as either CB. Still like Oraibi's sheets better. A sheet that's pretty and nifty is nice, but at the end of the day I prefer a sheet I can work from that's built for when I'm in the thick of play.

Far more important to me though was the announcement with it that The Workshop of Misfit Omega Tech adventure comes out tomorrow!

Yeah, I am pretty excited about that.

8. Serious problem: I think the ranged weapon calculations are off.

More than just the weapons.  I rolled a Plant Cockroach and with 20 Con, it says my Max HP is 18.  It's calculating Reflex with Int, even though Dex is higher.  In fact, every character I've rolled, the HP has been WAY off.
8. Serious problem: I think the ranged weapon calculations are off.

More than just the weapons.  I rolled a Plant Cockroach and with 20 Con, it says my Max HP is 18.  It's calculating Reflex with Int, even though Dex is higher.  In fact, every character I've rolled, the HP has been WAY off.

Ugh yeah. I just got a plant cockroach with 23 HP.

3. Doesn't choose your weapons/armor for you if you pick "random" (and won't let you carry more than one ranged weapon and one melee weapon).

Did this get patched? My weapons/armor loadout is filled when I pick random and the 1 melee 1 ranged for character creation is ideal; tho I can see why this wouldn't be good for importing a played character into the builder as additional weapons would still have to be penciled in.

6. It lists all traits for both origins, including overcharge bonus for the secondary origin. (It's been a judgment call so far on the boards whether both origins provide overcharge bonuses or just one; is this a data point in favor of both?)

That's what I see it as.

7. According to the copyright notice at the bottom, you can't use this sheet for store or convention games.

This is an issue for me; a wonderful tool full of potential that isn't compliant with store/convention games; is it because players could literally roll up what they want and roll stats until all of them are 16+?

Also, is speed calculating correctly? I thought base speed was 6 but char gen says 5; now I'm second guessing it and have to go check the book.
Achievements: 06/28/10 - MODERAT0WND!!11 06/30/10 - A Friendly Nod 07/04/10 - Troll Infiltrators 11/16/10 - RIP CB (What you are paying for should work; is it?) 12/20/10 - "No Way! That's Great...*chuckle*...WE'VE RERELEASED GAMMA WORLD!" Scapegoat of the Month for November: Pirates
I have noticed that the speed is stuck at 5. It should start at 6.

Technically, according to the book, all of your stat mods should include your level already. IE: A strength of 18 at level 1 should have a +5 modifier. This could be a typo in the book though.

According to the unofficial FAQ, the designers want to encourage overcharging. I think it is safe to say that overcharge bonuses stack just as skill bonuses do as well.

It increases the chances of a successful overcharge and therefore more fun in game.

I am therefore reversing my earlier rulings based on the book that overcharge bonuses come only from the primary origin. It seems to me that there are more and more "speed edits" in the books with nobody really paying attention and just trying to get the product out the door.
Me personally, I think that "undercharges" are more fun.

And I'm not the only who agrees with that.

Hi All,

I am looking at the code now.

1. No way I can see to set Engineered Human in the pulldown lists of origins. You can choose Engineered Human by setting your secondary origin equal to your primary origin. No way to choose EH as a primary, though.

- true, the rules on page 30 state that if the origins match then the second origin becomes engineered human.

2. No way to choose which Uber Benefit you choose at level 10.

- oops... how did I miss that... I will see what can be done to insert this as soon as possible.

4. Lets you equip both a shield and a two-handed weapon.

- currently it lets you select what armor/shield you will be using as well as 1 melee and one ranged weapon. The armor/shield modify stats as though they were equipped. I could look into adding an "equipped" toggle. I will look into this after I get the major calculation bugs fixed.

5. No way to enter ability scores you've rolled up with dice, or to change the random skill bonus you get.

- correct it was designed to roll that for you so your DM knows you didn't fudge the numbers. I will add this to a list of possible features for a future update.

6. It lists all traits for both origins, including overcharge bonus for the secondary origin. (It's been a
judgment call so far on the boards whether both origins provide overcharge bonuses or just one; is this a data point in favor of both?)

- Thats just how I assumed it worked. I will check and make sure its working as intended.

- thats the same copyright from the sheet that comes in the box. I will ask if the copyright needs to be changed.

8. Serious problem: I think the ranged weapon calculations are off. I tried making up a Hawkoid Felinoid with 11 Str, 10 Con, and light weapons. My melee stats are right -- +3 weapon accuracy, +3 dex bonus, +1 level = +7 attack bonus; +3 dex bonus, +1 level = +4 damage bonus -- but my ranged stats are wrong (+4 attack, +1 damage).  Switching to a light two-handed gun still gave me just a +5 attack, +1 damage -- when it should be +8 attack, +4 damage. I switched to a heavy two-handed gun and got +6 attack, +4 damage -- which would be right if I had 16 Str or Con.

- I am looking into this now and should to have a solution shortly.

9. Another serious problem: It's not calculating hit points correctly. First noted by FlashbackJon below.

- yikes, looking into this as well.

=M=
Wotc_Mark,

Even with all the bugs, I'm seriously impressed that you all have put this together. Thanks for the support and the response in the forums. It really means a lot to some of us.

-Travis

- true, the rules on page 30 state that if the origins match then the second origin becomes engineered human.

This is true, but the option to pick your own origins would allow you to select Engineered Human as your primary. Or at least, there's nothing in the rules in the box that prevents you from doing so!
Sorry I didn't catch these bugs before... I just uploaded fixes to several mathematical problems.

• Fixed speed base value to be 6.

• Fixed a bug that was causing Reflex to calculate with Int regardless of the bonus granted by Dex.

• Fixed a bug that was causing Hit Points to calculate from a random number each time rather than the actual Con score.

• Corrected the data for light and heavy ranged weapons. The abilities associated were reversed with Dex/Int being applied to heavy ranged and Str/Con being applied to light.

I will work on adding the "Uber Feature" selection as a dropdown somewhere on the form and on any other feature requests as time permits over the next few weeks =)

On a side note, the modifier listed next to your stats is not modified by level. I found it easier to simply include level where appropriate and show you the actual base value.

=M=
Sorry I didn't catch these bugs before... I just uploaded fixes to several mathematical problems.

• Fixed a bug that was causing Reflex to calculate with Int regardless of the bonus granted by Dex.

• Fixed a bug that was causing Hit Points to calculate from a random number each time rather than the actual Con score.

• Corrected the data for light and heavy ranged weapons. The abilities associated were reversed with Dex/Int being applied to heavy ranged and Str/Con being applied to light.

I will work on adding the "Uber Feature" selection as a dropdown somewhere on the form and on any other feature requests as time permits over the next few weeks =)

On a side note, the modifier listed next to your stats is not modified by level. I found it easier to simply include level where appropriate and show you the actual base value.

=M=

Wotc_Mark: I noticed that you have a lot of If/Else chains going on. You might be better served using objects (supported by all major browsers).

You can make all bonuses properties of the origin object and apply them as their added. It will help out in the long run.

Just a suggestion.

=M=

Wotc_Mark: I noticed that you have a lot of If/Else chains going on. You might be better served using objects (supported by all major browsers).

You can make all bonuses properties of the origin object and apply them as their added. It will help out in the long run.

Just a suggestion.

True, I take a look at doing that. Thanx =)

=M=

=M=

Just a suggestion.

True, I take a look at doing that. Thanx =)

=M=

ugh, I used their instead of they're...new babies take away a lot of brain power due to lack of sleep.

Thanks for the fixes, Wotc_Mark! And for the sheet! I had started one as well, but got sidetracked due to new kid.
Speed base is now 6.
However, origins that affect speed (Seismic, for instance), do not modify speed.

Origin attacks are not listed in the attacks box. You have 8 lines and only use 4 of them...

It would be nice if it checked your highest stat and defaulted your weapons to light/heavy based on that.

Level 5 power selection still missing.

Overall, very slick, I like it a lot.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
Hi Again,

However, origins that affect speed (Seismic, for instance), do not modify speed.

= yep working on that looks like just Siesmic was off.

Origin attacks are not listed in the attacks box. You have 8 lines and only use 4 of them...

= I decided not to add that for launch I will look at that for a possible future update

It would be nice if it checked your highest stat and defaulted your weapons to light/heavy based on that.

= not a bad idea

Level 5 power selection still missing.

= will update that shortly

Overall, very slick, I like it a lot.

= Thanx it is a labor of love, I love Gamma World =)

=M=

Another quick update

• Siesmic speed modifier now working properly.

• Added drop down selector for level expert 5 power to swap it with level 9.

=M=
the GW char generator is awesome, updates so speedy it will make the other IPs jealous (no complaint from me), and a wotc poster on the GW boards...

Xmas came early this year!
Achievements: 06/28/10 - MODERAT0WND!!11 06/30/10 - A Friendly Nod 07/04/10 - Troll Infiltrators 11/16/10 - RIP CB (What you are paying for should work; is it?) 12/20/10 - "No Way! That's Great...*chuckle*...WE'VE RERELEASED GAMMA WORLD!" Scapegoat of the Month for November: Pirates
Wotc_Mark:  Thanks for the Christmas present, it was quite unexpected.  I am sure all the bugs will be worked out.

Cheers and Happy Holidays to you!
Chelsea FC - winner of 2012 FA Cup and Champions League Champions of Europe! Three Lions Resident Footie
Another quick update

• Siesmic speed modifier now working properly.

• Added drop down selector for level expert 5 power to swap it with level 9.

=M=

This is a great Christmas gift for the Gamma World community, and I'd like to thank you for it! Hopefully, you're getting something good this year, yourself!
Very much appreciated, Mark. What a cool addition to the game. And very useful to get new characters started quickly.
Thanks so much for all your hard work, and for reacting to players' suggestions so quickly. You the man!
Thanks for this, it's great to see support for GW, a game so fun it even brought me and my friends into RPG's(we are dedicated CCG and Wargamers).

On that note I have a few bugs I figured I'd point out:

-Wheeler class is only giving +1 to reflex, should be +2.

-Some initiative bonuses are appearing that shouldn't be there(my Wheeler/Entropic was showing the +5 bonus from the Temporal Origin, I've have other characters show this too, either the bonus from Prescient or Temporal when neither of my origins were that)

-Also, the actual Temporal and Prescient origins are not recieving their initiative bonus.

Mark,
Thank you for the sheet and also for your fearless willingness to have it nitpicked on the forums... lol
@Mark: You are AWESOME!
I love this thing. I'm so glad to see GW getting some extra support.
IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/FR_Icon2-1.png)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Poland.gif)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/Ebb.gif)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/GamaW.png)
Thanks Mark!  WOTC's support of their very best product is appreciated!
I am LOVING this.  Just as I am pushing to play this game THIS comes along!

A few issues I have noticed since you are being goodly enough to fix them:

Radioactive Origin lists proper +1 Fort bonus, but applies a +1 Shapeshifter bonus to Reflex in Defenses.

Giant origin doesn't apply trait to ignore speed penalty in heavy armor.

Also, the sheet shows some nice colorful borders and grids which seem to disappear when printing.  I understand it saves on some ink printing, but could we have a toggle to turn that on or off?  I think it looks a lot better with those included.

And I would like to also speak out in support of being able to enter Ability Scores as it would allow characters rolled in person to be inputed to the sheet.

Thanks!

And I would like to also speak out in support of being able to enter Ability Scores as it would allow characters rolled in person to be inputed to the sheet.

Thanks!

Seconded. This also allows us to re-enter existing characters and level them up quickly with a new sheet.
IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/FR_Icon2-1.png)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Poland.gif)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/Ebb.gif)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/GamaW.png)
I am LOVING this.  Just as I am pushing to play this game THIS comes along!

A few issues I have noticed since you are being goodly enough to fix them:

Radioactive Origin lists proper +1 Fort bonus, but applies a +1 Shapeshifter bonus to Reflex in Defenses.

Giant origin doesn't apply trait to ignore speed penalty in heavy armor.

Also, the sheet shows some nice colorful borders and grids which seem to disappear when printing.  I understand it saves on some ink printing, but could we have a toggle to turn that on or off?  I think it looks a lot better with those included.

Thanks!

Set your browser to print background images and colors. That should fix the border issues.

Set your browser to print background images and colors. That should fix the border issues.

Duh! Embarassed  Thanks, that fixed it.  Looks good now!  Tongue out
Well, just rolled up a bunch of pre-gen characters using this and I've noticed that the weapons are not selected based on the appropriate stats. For instance, a Strength of 20, Con of 7, Dex of 11, and Int of 10 gave me light weapons...Should be heavy weapons...go fig.
Some issues I have found;

• the damage listed for heavy two -handed gun is 1d10 it should be 2d10

• the initiative bonus for temporal and precient is not showing in the intiative box.

Other than that this is a wonderful tool.  Thanks.
It now seems as if the Temporal +5 is added to every character.
Hi all, I will be looking at the reported issues and see what I can get fixed over the next few days =)

M
Hi all, I will be looking at the reported issues and see what I can get fixed over the next few days =)

M

I figured out that if you select your origins, certain parts of the character sheet do not update. This was the problem with the Initiative bonus.

If you roll Hypercognitive or Temporal, the bonus shows.

If you select Hypercog or Temporal, the bonus does not get factored in.

Suggestion: Rewrite the function that's called when origins are selected to automatically recalculate not only the ability scores, but all of the bonuses associated with the origin.

I would also suggest that you move to objects or at least origin arrays. Origin 1 may be ['Arachnoid', 'inititiative bonus', 'primary ability', 'speed', ...]. Expressed as +/- value. There is a base character that has all the normal abilities (rolled stats, etc.) so that if you choose your origins, you re-apply the origins to the augmented character array (or object). So a character is essentially a base object, 2 origin objects, and an augmented object. The augmented object represents the final character which you spit out to the character sheet. The base object itself is never modified, that way you can easily reapply the origins.

If you think about the gamma world origins like templates being laid over a monster, then you've got the idea. The base creature + template = augmented creature.

I would also suggest that you make Engineered Human selectable as primary or secondary directly instead of having to choose the same origins. It makes more sense. The random version shouldn't bring E.H. into the mix, but the choose-your-own-origin option should.

Please select the appropriate weapons for the character. A strong strength and weak dex wouldn't choose a light gun, they'd choose a heavy gun.

And finally, please make every element of the character sheet editable (the character-based text). That means all the ability scores, the weapons, everything.
OK one quick set of bug fixes.

- Shapeshifter now properly applies +2 bonus to reflex.
- Radioactive now properly applies +2 bonus to Fortitude.
- Wheeled now properly applies +2 bonus to reflex.
- Simian now properly applies +1 bonus to reflex.
- Prescient now properly applies +1 bonus to will.
- Cryokinetic and Ectoplasmic now have their proper data.
- Origin initiative bonuses should now be applying correctly.
- Giant now properly ignores speed penalty for heavy armor.
- Heavy 2 handed gun now has proper damage listed (2d10).

* Added the ability to select Engineered Human as either origin. However you may not select Engineered Human for both origins. This option is at the top of the list rather than alphabetically.

=M=
If you roll Hypercognitive or Temporal, the bonus shows.

I have a different experience, I rolled totally random characters, both hypercognative and temporal, and neither, factored the intiative bonus.

Also, with a total random cryokinetic/ mythic, the bonus of +1  fortitude and +1 reflex is not factored, but facotored in an arachnoid +2 to reflex