4. Artifacts and Various Colours
5. Land and Artifact Mana Sources
6. Synergy and Strategy
7. Sample Decklists
8. Multiplayer Artifacts You Need To Own
9. Dealing With Artifact Pwnage
10. Conclusion

1. Introduction

Artifacts were always intended to be universal tools in the game of Magic, able to be added to virtually any deck you choose. Have you got a multiplayer deck? If you do (and if you're reading this, the odds are high!), you've got room for artifacts in it. So once we step into the multiplayer realm, how do we know what makes a good artifact inclusion for a deck? Let's explore!

Thanks to Mirrodin block, Scars block, and the Esper shard of the Shards block, it is nowadays entirely possible to build a competitive artifact-based multiplayer deck. Along with discussing the best artifact cards available, this guide will give you some artifact-based multiplayer strategies to befuddle your playgroup with.

This guide doesn't include Eldrazi or Karn Liberated. Yes, they're colourless. Yes, they're awesome fun. No, they're not artifacts. I'll leave them for someone who wants to write the Guide to Multiplayer Colourless. ;)

2. Card Elements and Roles

Okay, so obviously, there are piles and piles of artifacts (as of time of writing this, try 1254 on for size)!
To break these up, let's stick to Anthony Alonghi's method of referring to a card's function, as we've seen in other guides, and mention the better ones under each grouping.

2a. Cockroach Cards

Like cockroaches in real-life, Cockroach cards are hard to kill. Just when you think you've got rid of them, they're back again, annoying you once more. In terms of Magic, we're looking for things here that are hard to kill or recurse well.

Show

We can break this down further into four categories:
Hard To Kill
Am I impossible to get off the table. Or even indestructible?
Show

Darksteel Plate. Makes any old creature unpiffable.
Etched Champion. Protection from all colours = how am I meant to kill this thing, again?
Karn, Silver Golem. A defensive house, with an excellent repeatable ability.
Myr Servitor. Not again! Make them go away!
Scarecrone. Artifact recursion and card draw in one. Play two, and they'll be in play for eternity.

Constant
Do I have a continuous effect?
Show

Ankh of Mishra. Extremely annoying to play against (and with, unless you plan for it).
Blood Clock / Umbilicus. Sensational next to Warped Devotion, full of combo goodness.
Bottled Cloister. Interesting repeatable card draw. Is good with Ensnaring Bridge.
Caltrops. Constant creature damage on attack. Good with Tamanoa.
Chalice of the Void: Shuts down all spells of a given CC. Gets even better in multiplayer.
Cloud Key. Makes stuff more cheaper.
Crawlspace. Lock-down defense that makes people look elsewhere. Often makes opponents swing at each other, rather than you.
Ensnaring Bridge. Locks the game up. Great in creatureless decks, and with hand-emptiers like Grafted Skullcap.
Etherium Sculptor. The rest of your artifacts made cheaper.
Ethersworn Canonist. Nonartifact lockdown for the rest of the board. says "I'm suddenly unpopular"!
Fluctuator. Spawned an entire broken Living Death deck with cycling creatures.
Grafted Skullcap. Extra cards, combos well with Ensnaring Bridge and Null Brooch.
Iron Maiden. A Black Vise for all your opponents (not an 80s metal band).
Krark's Thumb. It's silly, but it's effective. Four Fiery Gambits in a row FTW!
Lodestone Golem. Four of these, four Sculpting Steels, a lot of opponents who want to punch you in the face.
Meekstone. Fatty lockdown. Great with Icy Manipulator and friends.
Mesmeric Orb. Let's mill everyone at once!
Mindlock Orb. Good lockdown card, shuts the game down next to Maralen of the Mornsong.
Noetic Scales. Unexpectedly good creature control, especially in discard decks.
Null Rod. Vintage/Legacy-level ability lockdown.
Painter's Servant. Broken with Grindstone. Useful in plenty of other ways, too.
Phyrexian Metamorph. A fantastic alt-Clone that has no end of uses.
Pithing Needle. Targeted lockdown is good tourney sideboard material. Multiplayer? Who knows.
Portcullis. Locks the game's creature base while it's out. Has to be dealt with.
Psychogenic Probe. Decks have been built around this effect, with surprisingly good results.
Sculpting Steel. More people = more artifacts = more targets to copy.
Skullcage. Puts the clamps on your opponents' hands.
Smokestack. Has always been good. Now I want to partner it with It That Betrays.
Thrumming Stone. The card adored by Relentless Rats decks.
Trinisphere. It's always been painful to play against. Multiplayer just spreads the love further.
Wheel of Torture. Black Vise for everyone.
Winter Orb. Land lockdown for the table. Still unfun to play against after 15 years!

Repeatable
Can I keep activating multiple times? This includes equipment, which can obviously be re-equipped on multiple creatures, especially after the initial one dies.
Show

Altar of Dementia. Wins the game if left alone. Turns your creatures into rattlesnakes as the game goes on.
Ashnod's Altar. A combo piece for so many infinite combos that we've lost count.
Birthing Pod. An interesting repeatabale creature tutor that is still being broken in new ways.
Citanul Flute. The gold standard of creature tutors when it comes to artifacts. It's fetching the best creature out of your deck every turn if you have the mana.
Crystal Ball. And it is one!
Dragon Arch. Creature-sneaking for gold cards. Loved by the Invasion/Planar Chaos dragons.
Grindstone. Was just annoying. Until they printed Painter's Servant.
Isochron Scepter. Has spawned decks. Very very good, though not much fun with Orim's Chant imprinted!
Kill Switch. Excellent control, but not for an all-artifact deck!
Krark-Clan Ironworks. Another combo-enabling mana source.
Kusari-Gama. When it's equipping something big, it forces your opponent to roll the dice.
Lightning Greaves. Exceptionally versatile, and annoyingly hard to stop.
Liquimetal Coating. So simple, and yet the cornerpiece of so many potential combos.
Mimic Vat. Still being broken in new and exciting ways. Recursable with things like Gravedigger.
Mirari. Brutal in an MBC deck with Corrupts flying about.
Mirrorworks. Oh the Johnny possibilities! Sundering Titan... artifact land... keep going!
Mystic Compass. Cheap and completely inocuous. Can colour-screw an opponent, enables landwalk, especially with Elvish Champion.
Panoptic Mirror. Why do people only ever want to imprint Time Stretch? Soulscour is much more fun!
Phyrexian Altar. Sacrifice outlet that produces coloured mana.
Planar Portal. Got ? You've got the best card in your deck. Each turn.
Proteus Staff. Produces some entertaining game situations. Can turn your weenies into bombs.
Prototype Portal. Insane with artifact lands imprinted. The possibilities are endless.
Quicksilver Amulet. Creature-sneaker of the highest order.
Rings of Brighthearth. A very good combo-enabler. Loved by guys with good activated abilities.
Scroll Rack. Possibly the best library manipulator of the bunch.
Sensei's Divining Top. Fetchable by Trinket Mage. Great with Counterbalance.
Skullclamp. Exceptional card draw, usable over and over.
Soul Foundry. Your bomb creature, recopied every turn.
Staff of Domination. Utility, thy name is Staff of Domination.
Steel Overseer. Triskelion loves his new friend.
Swiftfoot Boots. The new hexproof Greaves. Lets you throw more equipment on top where Das Boots couldn't!
Sword of Body and Mind, War and Peace, Feast and Famine, Fire and Ice, and Light and Shadow. They're all good in their own ways, and they're all repeatably beefing things.
Tangle Wire. Excellent lockdown control, especially when you can bounce it. Nasty with proliferate.
Temporal Aperture. An underrated permanent-sneaker.
Thopter Foundry. Creature generator that loves being next to Sword of the Meek.
Thousand-Year Elixir. Creature haster that elves love.
Umezawa's Jitte. And you thought it was just bonkers in tourneys.
Voltaic Key. There's hardly a limit on what it can untap.
Well of Lost Dreams. Excellent card draw in a deck with life gain.
Whispersilk Cloak. Repeatable shroud and unblockability for your nastiest creature? Hmm...
Zuran Orb. Still excellent situational lifegain after all this time.

Recursive
Can I keep coming back over and over? Do I help other things recurse? Or am I a good recursion target?
Show

Blasting Station. Give me the creatures, I give you infinite damage.
Clone Shell. Basically a 2/2 that usually replaces itself with something better when it dies. People are probably still discovering the best combos with this guy.
Cloudstone Curio. The poster child for janky recursive combos. Limited only by your imagination.
Crucible of Worlds. Makes your lands recursive. Broken with Terramorphic Expanse, among others.
Deathrender. Recursable with several creatures, and probably capable of producing infinite combos.
Elixir of Immortality. Deck recursion and lifegain rolled into one beautiful card. Makes Feldon's Cane look like n00b fodder.
Esperzoa. Best friend of artifacts with enter-the-battlefield abilities.
Grinding Station. Give me the artifacts, and I'll do the milling.
Junk Diver. Get two and a sacrifice outlet, and stand back.
Myr Galvanizer. Two of these, a mana myr, maybe a Viridian Longbow... good times.
Myr Propagator. Exponential Myr, particularly next to its friend the Galvanizer.
Myr Reservoir. Recurses your dead Myr and then recasts them for you.
Nim Deathmantle. The more I play this, the more combos stick in my head. Makes your creatures hard to remove. Infinite combo with Composite Golem.
Salvaging Station. Re-use all those cool things Trinket Mage fetched for us.
Scythe of the Wretched. Put it on a creature that deals blanket damage, and get out of the way.
Sharuum the Hegemon. And if there are two...
Skull of Orm. Still one of the few enchantment returners, and still useful.
Sphinx Summoner. Excellent target for Master Transmuter and other recursers.
Summoning Station. Infinite Pincher token combos abound.
Sword of the Meek. Was pretty good, and then they printed Thopter Foundry.

2b. Gorilla Cards

Gorilla cards, as the name suggests, are the big, dumb facesmashers. The ones you lay on the table, and then pump your fist and scream "FTW!" - opponents are either dealing with them straight away or their time on this earth is limited.

Show

Artifact-wise, we can split our gorillas into two categories - the beatstick creatures, and the non-creature artifacts that are big, bold and brash.

Artifact Creatures
Show

Arcbound Overseer. Loves proliferate, too!
Arcbound Ravager. Helloooo Raffinity. While obviously not quite as good in multiplayer, Ravager still makes an awesome beatstick in the right deck.
Bosh, Iron Golem. A creature that comes with its own sound effect. : BOSH!
Eater of Days. If you can survive the two turns, you'll have fun. Or if you drop Torpor Orb first.
Filigree Angel. It's a 4/4 flier, and it usually gives you a pile of life in the process. Fun with Master Transmuter.
Leveler. Well, you're either swinging now, or you're playing Endless Whispers or Torpor Orb. It's not rocket science!
Lodestone Myr. Death by Myrtrample.
Magister Sphinx. It's a flying beatstick, and it handles that lifegain player in the corner before it's even swung.
Master of Etherium. The lord for artifact creatures.
Myr Battlesphere. Katamari Damacy for the win!
Phyrexian Dreadnought. The card that made Stifle worth $10+.
Psychosis Crawler. Nothing is subtle about hating on an entire MP table everytime you draw a card!
Razormane Masticore. It's probably the worst Masticore. And even then, it's a 5/5 for that can remove threats (i.e. it's darn good).
Reaper King. Hi! I'm playing Scarecrows! All your permanents will be leaving now!
Sen Triplets. Straight up neuters people. Much more viable in multiplayer, but will be an obvious threat.
Sharding Sphinx. A fat, flying beatstick that generates a following of thopters. Sensational in multiples.

Unsubtle Artifacts
Show

Door of Destinies. A fixed Coat of Arms that only affects you (and is therefore a true gorilla).
Engineered Explosives. Almost targeted colourless removal. A legacy and vintage staple.
Eternity Vessel. Already obviously good. Nasty with proliferate or Energy Chamber.
Goblin Cannon / Rocket Launcher. The damage is limited only by the size of your mana pool.
Helm, Shield, and Sword of Kaldra. Each alone is good. Together, they're bats.
Jester's Cap. Remove an opponent's three biggest threats.
Jester's Mask. Target opponent wants a new hand.
Jester's Scepter. Badly disrupts one player. The bane of a Relentless Rats deck.
Legacy Weapon. There are few sweeter words on an artifact than "Exile target permanent".
Magistrate's Scepter. Four turns for the price of three!
Mindslaver. OK, done. Can I recurse it now?
Nevinyrral's Disk. The classic reset, especially in black or red decks. Unstoppable next to Darksteel Forge.
Oblivion Stone. An interesting take on the Disk. And an excellent budget reset.
Orochi Hatchery. When X=20, your opponents know what's happening next. Oh, and it uses charge counters.
Phyrexian Processor. Again, when X=20, your opponents know what's happening next!
Plague Boiler. Another interesting Disk variant that you can try and set yourself up with. In-colour with Glissa, the Traitor.
Platinum Angel. And it flies, too.
Platinum Emperion. Great, so long as you're not playing the $10 fetch lands!
Powder Keg. A slow-to-ramp reset.
Ratchet Bomb. A better, easier-to-cast Powder Keg.
Scourglass. A Disk variant that you can work to your advantage.
Snake Basket. I've made 200+ snakes before. How about you?
Worldslayer. Let's find ways of resetting the board over and over and over!

2c. Pigeon Cards

In real life, pigeons are fed better when there are more people around. They naturally flock to places where there are heaps of people with heaps of food. Likewise, Pigeon cards like hitting up the nine-player free-for-alls. These are usually the obvious "good in multiplayer" cards, benefiting from there being multiple opponents.
Show

Beast of Burden. Is phat in multiplayer.
Bonehoard. Potentially huge with the extra graveyards it has in MP. Great with mill.
Brass Herald. Affects all creatures of the chosen type, so is sensational in 2HG or Emperor with everyone playing the same tribe. And good card draw to boot.
Fellwar Stone. The more opponents there are, the more likely it is to tap for any colour.
Mind's Eye. By far the best artifact card drawer for multiplayer. Up there with Rhystic Study.
Paradise Plume. Life gainer in the league of Soul Warden in multiplayer.
Sun Droplet. Once you get into the multiplayer arena, this makes you almost unkillable. One of the best pigeon artifacts.

2d. Rattlesnake Cards

We all know the famous "Don't tread on me" rattlesnake. Rattlesnake cards work in the same way - they say "Stay away, I'm dangerous" to your opponents.
Show

Aether Spellbomb. Fetchable by Trinket Mage. Recursable with Academy Ruins. Card draw. Bounce. Combo. Combo. Combo.
Basilisk Collar. Nothing says "keep away" like deathtouch. Everything else makes the Collar gold.
Brittle Effigy. I've got and an itchy tapping finger... don't make me do it!
Dispeller's Capsule. Rattlesnake artifact and enchantment removal. Fetchable with Trinket Mage.
Executioner's Capsule. As per Dispeller's, for creatures.
Farsight Mask. Hurt me and I get cards.
Helm of Possession. Once again, the threat of theft.
Null Brooch. Forces your opponents to stall. Especially good with Grafted Skullcap.
Predator, Flagship. Underrated creature remover that also makes your guys evasive.
Pyrite Spellbomb. The red damage version of Aether Spellbomb, and just as good.
Quietus Spike. Nothing says "block me" like "I'll halve your life if you don't".
Snow Fortress. A criminally underrated wall that can take out attackers before it even needs to block.
Sunstone. A long-forgotten repeatable fog.
Tidehollow Strix. Flying and deathtouch = good defense.
Triskelion. Already a good deterrent, before you start putting it next to things like Immaculate Magistrate.

2e. Spider Cards

Spider cards spin a pretty web for your opponents, and then let them fly into it. They make your opponents pay for their uninformed decisions. Usually, these take the form of instants, so there aren't too many artifacts that fall into this category.
Show

Darksteel Sentinel. The Sentinel's flash makes it produce some awkward blocks for your opponent, and gives you a solid body afterwards.
Grifter's Blade. It's a small surprise, but it's still a surprise.

2f. Plankton Cards

Ah, plankton. Where would whales be without it? Likewise, we can't have a whale of a time without Plankton cards - cards that allow everyone to feed off them or gain benefit. These are the cards that make you everybody's friend (at least until you start swinging at them).
Show

Anvil of Bogardan. At least no-one cares until you drop a Megrim.
Blinkmoth Urn. Along the lines of Mana Flare. Free mana for all. Just make sure you get the most!
Extraplanar Lens. Mana Flare for a given land.
Font of Mythos. Cards! Cards! Cards!
Gate to the Aether. Another of those "everyone plays stuff for free" cards.
Gauntlet of Might. A red player's best friend.
Gauntlet of Power.  A *insert colour here* player's best friend!
Genesis Chamber. Everyone gets a Myr!
Heartstone. Usually Sliver Queen's best friend, but benefits everyone. Wish they'd reprint it.
Helm of Awakening. Making everyone's stuff cheaper since 1996.
Horn of Greed. Cards for the table. Someone needs to put this in a landfall deck!
Horn of Plenty. Cards for all.
Howling Mine. Cards for all.
Infinite Hourglass. It's utterly bonkers, and it turns the game on its head.
Konda's Banner. One or two of your opponents suddenly like that legendary guy a whole lot more.
Memory Jar. At least it helps everyone until you drop a Megrim.
Mycosynth Lattice. Who cares what colour your lands are now? Just have fun until I drop Memnarch!
Tangleroot. Green mana for everyone. Just make sure you're the one playing elves.
Teferi's Puzzle Box. Lets everyone cycle through their decks, for better or worse!
Temple Bell. A new variant on Howling Mine.

2g. Combinations

Often, cards can be a combination of the above categories.
In reality, a lot of the very best cards are going to be those that serve a dual purpose. So a lot of the bomb artifacts you want are going to be in this list, achieving two very separate purposes for you at the same time.
Show

Cockroach/Gorilla: I'm big, dumb, and I just hang around! This includes hard-to-kill gorillas, continuous effects that win the game, and bomb equipment.
Show

Akroma's Memorial. Let's see... if you can't rid of this in the next couple of turns, every single one of my creatures turns into Akroma? Yeeeaaah...
Argentum Armor: Watch me! If the creature I've equipped attacks, I can piff it! And I'm still around after that!
Behemoth Sledge. Essentially a repeatable Armadillo Cloak. Nothing subtle about that!
Blightsteel Colossus. Indestructible and kills in one swing. Can we ask anything more?
Cranial Plating. Repeatable house-maker in an artifact deck.
Darksteel Colossus. The prototype indestructible gorilla. Currently out of Standard, but still getting snapped up by casual players like the hero it is.
Darksteel Forge. An "FTW" for artifact decks. This + Mycosynth Lattice + Memnarch = a slow drawn-out death for all of your opponents, one by one.
Darksteel Juggernaut. Almost as good as a Colossus. If only it had trample!
Eldrazi Monument. All my creatures indestructible, you say?
Glassdust Hulk. Surprisingly big, repeatably unblockable, and you can cycle it to boot.
Goblin Charbelcher. People have built decks that allow this to go off for lethal. Over and over.
Inkwell Leviathan. An untargetable facesmasher. Fun to drop with Quest for Ula's Temple.
Loxodon Warhammer. The N00bstick, so named because any ol' n00b can smash face with it over and over.
Lux Cannon. Subtle, it is not. Repeatable, it certainly is.
Mage Slayer. You're probably putting it on another gorilla, too. Like Charnelhoard Wurm.
Masticore. Legendarily good. Regeneration makes it harder to kill, and you know it's going to sweep your board eventually.
Memnarch. He's going to take your stuff, and yet he's big enough to leave a dent still.
Molten-Tail Masticore. Is it as good as the original? You be the judge. It's close.
Mycosynth Golem. Accelerates your deck, and is still a respectable body in itself.
Sphinx of the Steel Wind. Has taken Darksteel Colossus's throne as best artifact finisher. Extremely hard to kill, is a big flying body, and has the adorable combination of vigilance and lifelink.

Cockroach/Rattlesnake: I'm repeatably warding everyone off!
Show

Erratic Portal. Use it on your opponent's creatures when they tap out, or on your own if there's benefits involved.
Forcefield. It's old, expensive, and a threat of complete lockdown to your opponents.
Gorgon Flail. Inexpensive, cheap to cast, and frightens people off over and over.
Grafted Exoskeleton. As above, minus the cheap to cast bit!
Grim Poppet. Adores proliferate, underrated creature removal.
Icy Manipulator. One of the originals in this category. Excellent control.
Kuldotha Forgemaster. No-one's broken this yet, but I suspect it's due. Its ability has the potential to be very good in multiplayer environments.
Spine of Ish Sah. Recurses and sits in your hand, threatening to take the next big threat on the table. Who cares if it costs ? It's repeatable colourless removal!
Stuffy Doll. Impossible to kill, last thing you want blocking your gorilla.

Cockroach/Spider: You just fell for the trap! Again!
Show

Cryptic Gateway. Tribal creature-sneaker that works instantly. Raging fun with Dragons and other fat tribes.
Master Transmuter. I've seen it swap a thopter token for a Darksteel Colossus. In response to an attack. Repeatable recursion, saves itself too.
Vedalken Orrery. Turns every nonland card of yours into a potential trap.

Cockroach/Plankton: I'm repeatable, and everyone loves it!
Show

Contagion Clasp: Throw those -1/-1 counters around. Well, your opponents at least have a chance of enjoying what you proliferate.
Contagion Engine: The Clasp, squared.

Gorilla/Pigeon: I'm big, dumb, and I love having people around!
Show

Arcbound Crusher. Sure, he's little when he comes out. But if you're playing him, you're playing him in an artifact deck, and he's getting big fast. And he loves other people playing artifacts too.
Sphinx Sovereign. It's already a flying monster. When it nails everyone for three life at end of turn? That's just gold.
Sundering Titan. Not only is it huge, it's also less likely to be taking your own lands in this environment. And then there's Master Transmuter...

Gorilla/Rattlesnake: I'm big, dumb and frightening!
Show

Chimeric Mass. Becomes the beatstick you want on command, and can get very, very big.
Ethersworn Adjudicator. Sits and threatens, and people forget it also happens to be a 4/4 flier.
Magma Mine. It's amazing how you get ignored once it's past four counters or so.
Steel Hellkite. It's massive, flying and pumpable. And if I let it through, it's taking a bunch of my permanents with it?
Time Bomb. As per Magma Mine, makes you invisible once it gets a decent number of counters.
Triskelavus. It's a 4/4 flier already. And then it starts behaving like a Triskelion. Or a Tetravus.
Wurmcoil Engine. Fat, deathtouching, and reproduces on death. Now I want to recurse it!

Gorilla/Plankton: I'm big and dumb, and everyone loves me!
Show

Coat of Arms. I've now got ten 10/10s! Hang on... what did it give you? Oh...

Pigeon/Rattlesnake: I'm scary and I'm bothering the whole table!
Show

Norn's Annex. The new gold standard in multiplayer defense. Has the potential to completely shut out non-white decks and token decks from attack.
Nullstone Gargoyle. Forces the whole table to stall. And given it's a 4/5 flier to boot, that can be handy.
Thought Prison. Stall and pain for the whole table if you choose well.

Pigeon/Plankton: I'm affecting the whole table, and I like having more people around.
Show

Storm Cauldron. Well, they love the "two lands a turn" bit. They're probably not so keen on the rest. Infinite with Fastbond and Glacial Chasm. Can stall the board.

Rattlesnake/Spider: I'm scary, and I trap people.

3. Colour-Hosers and Alternate-Wins

There are only a couple of obvious colour-hosers and alternate wins that come in artifact form.

The colour-hosers, while few in number, are nonetheless interesting and fun to play with.
Show

Naked Singularity is not so much a colour-hoser as an "everyone not playing artifacts" hoser. This plus Eon Hub in an all-artifact deck is a guarantee of hate.
Quicksilver Fountain is a blue mage's way of hosing every non-blue player.

And while not an artifact itself, special mention should be given to Ritual of Subdual, which turns all mana colourless while it is out. This helps the game play heavily to the favour of the artifact player (especially with Eon Hub out), but will get them hated on fairly quickly!

The alternate win-conditions provided by artifacts were disappointing and hard to pull off until Mirrodin Beseiged came out. Now, it's death by Blightsteel Colossus poisoning. And two other impossible options.
Show

Darksteel Reactor is an alt-win that will earn you no friends. Let's put a twenty-turn clock on all of my opponents and see if I can last that long!
Door to Nothingness is nigh-on-impossible to activate once, let alone enough times to remove all of your opponents. It's harder to use effectively in multiplayer, as it's going to frighten more people.
Poison Decks are now completely viable in multiplayer thanks solely to Blightsteel Colossus. Unblocked, it's an insta-gib. Previously, we were limited solely to Serpent Generator, Corpse Cur, Ichorclaw Myr, Necropede and Vector Asp as artifacts capable of dealing poison counters. There is also Grafted Exoskeleton, which is perhaps the only other decent artifact-based alt-win - throw Grafted Exoskeleton on something large and evasive and go to town (hmm... Sphinx of the Steel Wind looks even better all of a sudden...).

4. Artifacts and Various Colours

White
These days, white is the colour of Equipment and artifact protection. While there are a few other fun things we can do here, Equipment is probably our focus when playing a white artifact deck.
Show

Blue
Blue is the key artifact colour. Want to build an artifact-heavy deck? Chances are that the one colour you're running in the background is blue. With its powerful tutors and artifact-related power abilities, it has been the colour of artifice since the very beginnings of Magic.
Show

Black
Black has little interaction with artifacts, usually just forcing people to sacrifice them rather than actually working with them. The majority listed here will reward you for playing artifacts, or punish your opponents for killing them.
Show

Red
Red is expert at destroying artifacts. Working with them? Not so much its strong point. Most of the red cards of note will allow you to sacrifice artifacts for your own benefit.
Show

Green
While green is very good at destroying artifacts, or rewarding you for having opponents play artifacts, it has little synergy with artifact-heavy decks.
Show

Gold
There are a couple more rather esoteric gold cards that haven't rated a mention as of yet.
Show

5. Land and Artifact Mana Sources

Land
Of the handful of lands that work well with artifacts, some are famous, some are banned or restricted, and some are rarely going to hit a multiplayer table.
Show

• Tolarian Academy has to be the gold standard here. It spawned a meta-dominating tourney deck, and saw several cards restricted. In an artifact-heavy deck, it is an exceptional accelerant. Making it an artifact itself, and then untapping it constantly... that's where it starts getting evil.

• In any other format, Mishra's Workshop would probably be listed first. Only because of the longer play time in multiplayer does it lose out here. It's still sensational.

• 12-Post (4 Cloudposts, 4 Glimmerposts, 4 Vesuva) is possibly the best potentially budget solution available to those working an artifact deck at a kitchen table. It's such effective mana ramping that Cloudpost has been banned in Modern.

• Academy Ruins allows for some excellent recursion of artifacts, and is particularly good with the Spellbombs in a Trinket Mage toolbox deck.

• The Mirrodin artifact lands (Ancient Den, Great Furnace, Seat of the Synod, Tree of Tales, Vault of Whispers) are great to combo with things that care about the number of artifacts in play (such as Master of Etherium, or anything with Metalcraft abilities).

• Darksteel Citadel has discovered new life as Phylactery Lich's BFF (here indestructible creature, meet indestructible artifact land).

• Glimmervoid will give you coloured mana to play with.

• There are also plenty of lands that become artifact creatures - Blinkmoth Nexus, Dread Statuary, Gargoyle Castle, Inkmoth Nexus, Mishra's Factory and Stalking Stones. Urza's Factory produces multiple artifact creatures.

Artifact Mana Sources
    As we know, there are also plenty of artifact mana sources or enablers around. Let's look at the most effective options here.
    Show

• Basalt Monolith. Good mana source, breakable with Voltaic Key. A budget Grim Monolith.

• Black Lotus. It's a few grand a copy for a reason.

• Candelabra of Tawnos. Baaroken with lands that produce more than one mana.

• Chrome Mox. It's got 'Mox' in its card name, and it's banned in Modern. That means it's not bad.

• Coalition Relic. Possibly the best budget stone that can produce any colour. Likes proliferation, too.

• Doubling Cube. Needs seven mana to start doubling, so is slow to get going, but great after that.

• Everflowing Chalice. Great colourless mana source. Fun with proliferate.

• Expedition Map. While not a stone in itself, it fetches your best non-basic land (usually Academy Ruins first, so you can do it again). Trinket Mage finds it, too.

• Fellwar Stone. It's old, but it deserves mention as it becomes that much better in multiplayer.

• Gilded Lotus. The card that made people play Twiddle again.

• Grim Monolith. Basalt Monolith, bigger, better and just as combo-able.

• Lion's Eye Diamond. At first, people thought losing your hand was too big a disadvantage. And now it's a Vintage staple.

• Lotus Bloom. The suspended Lotus. You've got a three-turn wait, and it's still awesome.

• Lotus Blossom. Possibly the worst Lotus, and yet still underrated.

• Lotus Petal. The best common ever printed, period.

• Mana Vault. Another of the mana artifacts that drove the Academy deck.

• Metalworker. Insanely good mana producer that is worth over $10, and yet still worth every cent.

• Mox Diamond. Almost as good as the original Moxen.

• Mox Emerald, Jet, Pearl, Ruby and Sapphire. N00bs won't understand until they try playing with them.

• Mox Opal. The more 0CC artifacts get printed, the more broken this will get.

• Sol Ring. Another accelerant that is worth every cent. An EDH staple.

• Thran Dynamo. One of the best not-so-broken mana sources. Loves being next to Voltaic Key.

~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
    Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
    CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
    Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
    Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
    Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
    Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
    Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
    Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
    Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
    Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
    Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
    Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
    Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
    Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)

6. Synergy and Strategy

Some of the most popular artifact synergies include the following:
    Show

Metalcraft
    Show

New in Scars block, this keyword lets you benefit from having three or more artifacts in play. You're obviously going to be more successful when using 0cc artifacts and artifacts with Metalcraft themselves. To this end, Mox Opal fits both of these categories, and in this regard is probably worth its high price tag.
    The Mirrodin artifact lands and Memnite are also good 0cc artifacts that fit well.
    Etched Champion and Rusted Relic are good artifact creatures with Metalcraft abilities.
    There are several archetypes in Scars Block Constructed that focus on dropping numerous metalcraft artifact creatures next to Tempered Steel.

Esper
    Show

Esper was without a doubt the most powerful shard in the Shards block. People were purposely drafting it in Limited. And if that's happening, you know it's powerful down to the common level.
    Firstly, you're almost certainly playing , so Arcane Sanctums are in, along with some other mana fixing.
    Esper certainly gives us numerous ways to win:
    We can play creature beatdown with Master of Etherium, Sphinx of the Steel Wind, Inkwell Leviathan and Sharding Sphinx.

At the common/uncommon level, Etherium Sculptor, the Capsules and Tidehollow Strix all see heavy play in multiplayer environments, and are well worth investing in.

Continual Board Reset
    Show

This synergy is all about exploiting Darksteel Forge.
    Traditionally, the trick is to get the Forge out early (via Tinker or something similar), and then play Nevinyrral's Disk or a similar artifact-based reset. The indestructibility granted by the Forge will allow it to stay out and continually reset the board. From here, you are limited only by the tools you have at your disposal to win.

Another alternative is to equip an indestructible creature with Worldslayer and get an unblocked swing in with it. From there, you are resetting the board every turn.

Finally, this can also be achieved by imprinting Soulscour on Panoptic Mirror, but trust me when I tell you that this takes much longer to set up, and is much harder to protect!

Academy
    Show

The classic Academy deck has been known to work in multiplayer environments, but it's obviously harder to do - there will be more disruption, and more targets.
    The deck drops Tolarian Academy first turn along with a pile of mana artifacts. Mox Opal is ripe for this deck format now - the original used Lotus Petal alone. Throw in Mana Vault, Voltaic Key, Tinker, Sol Ring and Grim Monolith, and chances are good that you have an Academy capable of producing at least once you've played your hand out.
    Then you cast Windfall and fill your hand up again.
    The idea is to eventually pick your deck up, cast Mind Over Matter, throw out the non-kill cards to MoM to untap the Academy continuously, generate a heap of mana, and Stroke of Genius or Braingeyser your opponents for the kill.

If your playgroup uses the Vintage or Legacy restricted list as a basis for your deckbuilding (as a lot of groups do), this deck is a lot harder to pull off these days.
    Vintage-wise, at time of writing, Mana Vault, Lotus Petal, Sol Ring, Tinker, Windfall and the Academy itself are all Restricted. Legacy has banned Tolarian Academy altogether!

Proliferate
    Show

Another new addition from Scars of Mirrodin, proliferate decks abuse Inexorable Tide, Thrummingbird, Steady Progress, Contagion Engine and Contagion Clasp to control the board and win with an artifact that works using counters of some description.

Board controllers like Triskelion and Grim Poppet adore being used in this capacity. Triskelion in particular can machine gun the whole board quickly in a well-rounded deck.

Anything that makes use of charge counters is particularly good here also. Combined with Energy Chamber, things can get nasty quickly. Chimeric Mass, Lightning Coils, Lux Cannon and Umezawa's Jitte are all ripe for abuse here. You can even go tribal and run Door of Destinies!

Finally, any blanket artifact damage probably likes being next to proliferate, as it inevitably uses counters. This includes Armageddon Clock, Time Bomb and Magma Mine among others.

Myrball
    Show

The idea behind Myrball is to generate a pile of Myr and then go swinging with Myr Battlesphere. This is generally made possible by Myr Matrix, Myr Propagator and Myrsmith, and accelerated by Myr Reservoir.
    Myr Galvanizer will allow you to attack all out with the Battlesphere and beef your little guys up in the process.
    The Reservoir and Myr Retriever add some recursion.

Stations
    Show

Station decks are possibly the ultimate Johnny artifact deck. They're full of expensive, synergistic cards that go infinite together, pieced around the four Stations from Fifth Dawn - Blasting Station, Grinding Station, Salvaging Station and Summoning Station.
    Obviously, there are many, many ways of sending these infinite. The usual Station deck will seek to accelerate the Stations out quickly using artifact mana and/or Tinker-like spells, and provide a fair bit of sacrificial fodder for recursion.

Trinket Mage
    Show

Trinket Mage decks contain an array of 0-1cc artifacts and a way of recursing Trinket Mage as needed to control the game.
    While there are a huge pile of artifacts usable in these decks, the most common are the Spellbombs, the Capsules, artifact lands, Expedition Map, Relic of Progenitus, Voltaic Key and Sensei's Divining Top.
    Trinket Mage is typically bounced using Riptide Laboratory and/or Aether Spellbomb, and the artifacts are usually recursed with Academy Ruins and/or Leonin Squire.

Equipment
    Show

Equipment decks make for a pretty good n00b starting point when it comes to multiplayer artifact decks. The concept is simple - get Stoneforge Mystic or Stonehewer Giant out early, and fetch the awesome equipment out of your deck one-by-one.
    Lightning Greaves and Leonin Shikari are important additions to this deck - they ramp up the trick factors exponentially and keep your opponents guessing.
    The New Phyrexia 'War of Attrition' event deck is an excellent starting point for this archetype, giving you access to some of the cornerstone cards for a decent budget.

Other deck strategies can be based around a single artifact:
    Show

Fun artifact-based combos of note:
    Show

7. Sample Decklists

These decks are mostly taken from our glorious Multiplayer forum, or are recommendations of interesting builds from forum members. If you're going to spread the love elsewhere on the Internet, remember to credit the deck's designer (it's good form, you know)! ;)

8. Multiplayer Artifacts You Need To Own

And so we come to the cream of the crop. The cards in these lists represent the cards that send artifact decks to the next level in multiplayer environments. We know them, we love them, we house people with them. If you don't own copies, go get them now!

The Artifacts
    Show

• Blightsteel Colossus. Kills with one unblocked swing, and nigh on impossible to kill. I'd still take Sphinx of the Steel Wind as the #1 finisher, simply out of fun, but this an excellent alternate option.

• Darksteel Colossus. Until recently, the best artifact finisher money could buy. Hint: it's still up there, even if it doesn't have infect.

• Darksteel Forge. Can make your entire deck virtually bulletproof. Needs to be answered, and it is difficult to do so.

• Elixir of Immortality. Rendered 5-10 cards superseded when it was printed. Excellent long-game deck recursion, and budget to boot.

• Etherium Sculptor. It's easy to find, and it puts artifact-heavy decks on the table fast.

• Isochron Scepter. Utility, repeatability... it's got it all. Limited only by casting cost and imagination, it will find its home in a large variety of decks.

• Lightning Greaves. Haste and shroud is a deadly combination. Being able to do it over and over is gold.

• Lotus Petal. Probably the best common ever printed. The corner of many combos, and the bringer of coloured acceleration. Great Metalcraft enabler, too.

• Loxodon Warhammer. Simply swings games, even at multiplayer level.

• Master Transmuter. It protects, it recurses, it accelerates. Simply too good in too many departments.

• Masticore. Still one of the best uses for bunches of mana. Can clean a board in record time, and hang around in the process.

• Metalworker. Provides mana acceleration that is brokenly good. Not budget, but will not disappoint if purchased.

• Mind's Eye. By far the best artifact card draw available. Exponentially good in multiplayer.

• Nevinyrral's Disk. The classic reset. Some would argue that it is still the best artifact reset available. Certainly still red and black's best answer to enchantments.

• Norn's Annex. Propaganda and Ghostly Prison have been multiplayer defensive staples. The Annex builds upon it, along with the added advantage of being an artifact.

• Sharding Sphinx. Produces too many resources and potential further threats. Two or more on the table will see things exploding.

• Sol Ring. We could have power nines in this list, but budget and availability is always a consideration in a casual environment like multiplayer. Sol Ring is probably the best of the rest - has a price tag that at least doesn't give you a heart attack, and is easy enough to find, especially since being reprinted in From The Vault:Relics as a shiny.

• Sphinx of the Steel Wind. The best artifact finisher and Tinker target available. Period.

• Sun Droplet. The ultimate "so much better in multiplayer" artifact. And budget, too.

• Sundering Titan. Already big. Even better in a multiplayer environment.

• Voltaic Key. No limit to the utility it provides. It traps, it accelerates, and it's budget.

The Support Cards
    Show

• Academy Ruins. Simply excellent recursion. Keeps those threats hanging around.

• Argivian Restoration. An old card that a lot of people have forgotten, but quite simply the best one-shot recursion available.

• Leonin Abunas. Makes an artifact deck almost as bulletproof as Darksteel Forge. Combos well with Whispersilk Cloak.

• Leonin Shikari. Adds that extra danger factor to an equipment deck. Suddenly everything is a bigger threat, harder-to-kill, and a greater deterrent.

• Soulscour. Simply the most fun a multiplayer artifact deck can have with nine mana.

• Stoneforge Mystic. Gets equipment decks swing quickly and early. Available for a relative budget price in a New Phyrexia event deck.

• Tezzeret the Seeker. The planeswalker artifact decks wanted, and now dropping in price.

• Tinker. Restricted or not, swapping an artifact land for a Colossus on Turn 3 never gets old.

• Tolarian Academy. Quite simply the best accelerant money can buy for an artifact deck, even at $30 a copy. Even one copy is worth it.

• Trinket Mage. Utility extra-ordinaire, and highly available for a budget price.

• Vedalken Archmage. Can put an artifact deck on the table in record time.

At the end of the day, this list will always be subjective. For a good idea of the artifacts that are seeing day-to-day use in the decks of forum members, follow this link to a previous discussion on the most useful artifacts in the multiplayer environment. It will give you a good idea of the variation between various playgroups, and the varying levels of success some people have had with certain cards.

9. Dealing With Artifact Pwnage

The Multiplayer forum has discussed hosing artifacts in a multiplayer environment previously. This is a good starting point to find out what you may be up against when playing an artifact-heavy deck in multiplayer.

Probably the most disruptive thing an artifact player can come up against is repeatable targetted artifact destruction. Arguably the nastiest cards allowing this to occur are Aura Shards and its little Sliver brother - these can take an artifact deck to pieces in a very short period of time. Really, the best defence against this by far is Darksteel Forge, as Aura Shards can do nothing against it. Secondly, some of the white cards that shroud your artifacts (e.g. Leonin Abunas, Indomitable Archangel) will also provide all the protection you need. While these are creatures, and can therefore be removed fairly easily, they provide a complete lock with Whispersilk Cloak.

Then there is blanket destruction - the artifact sweepers like Shatterstorm and Creeping Corrosion. Decks relying heavily on artifact lands are particularly vulnerable to these effects (a Meltdown will make them cry for the measly cost of ). While Darksteel Forge still does its job in these situations, shroud will get you nowhere - this is usually a cleanup and recovery job. Fortunately, there are still plenty of options here - Open the Vaults, Roar of Reclamation and Second Sunrise will deal with the situation quickly, while Argivian Restoration and other reclaimers will fetch your biggest loss back quickly. You can also make people pay for sweeping you via Disciple of the Vault - the promise of pain is a good way of preventing these things from happening!

Finally, there are the artifact hosers. While these are not often seen on the multiplayer table, they do exist, and if your playgroup is particularly artifact heavy, you should probably be ready for them. Molder Slug is possibly the worst of these, forcing gradual sacrifice of your resources - at least as a creature, the Slug can be removed (e.g. Executioner's Capsule, Brittle Effigy) or dealt direct damage (e.g. Masticore, Tower of Calamities). Other, more subtle hosers like Hum of the Radix require a little more preparation and resources to get rid of. At the end of the day, there will always be situations that we cannot prepare for or handle - and it's then that we wheel out Nevinyrral's Disk and other board reset alternatives!

10. Conclusion

It's entirely possible to school an entire multiplayer board with deck consisting of close to 100% artifacts nowadays. Give it a shot in your own playgroup and raise some eyebrows! Try some of the cards mentioned above out in your decks, play some of the decks mentioned, and enjoy yourself!

Want more? Samot administers The Artificers' Group here on the Wizards forums. Join in and talk artifice with the gang.

May your colourless mana be plentiful!

"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
    Who Am I?
    I am Blue/Black
    I am Blue/Black
    Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
    Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
    I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
    IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
    Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

I find artifacts and enchantments get mass hate and if you run artifact land and creatures something like
    Fracturing Gust will destroy you.

How do you bounce back from mass artifact hate?
    It can devastate your mana base and kill almost all of your permanents.

Mass atifact hate isn't really used in my meta.  By all means, it should be, given the popularity of artifact decks (2 modular decks and an Esper deck are among some of the most played by three different players), but nobody other than myself have shown any interest in them, going for more general forms of removal (ie, creature removal).  The most artifact hate that I've seen from other players is Viridian Shaman.  As a result, I'm pretty safe in running artifact lands, since, at worst, I'll only be down one or two during the entire course of the game.

As for weathering the hate, anything with "darksteel" in its name is a good place to start.  Green can return them from the grave.  In terms of creatures, black can do the same.  Blue can just abuse Trinket Mage and Academy Ruins, plus it has Argivian Restoration.  Red can swap it with something else.  White also has some good recursion.  There are also other ways to protect your artifacts.
    "Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
    Who Am I?
    I am Blue/Black
    I am Blue/Black
    I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
    Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Robert Morris's Mirrodin-Block Infinite Myr Stations Deck
    As lauded by The Ferrett in Serious Fun many a moon ago.
    68 cards, but goes infinite in countless nasty ways.

I suspect a modern version would be running some of the Scars Myr cards, like Perilous Myr, Myr Galvanizer and Palladium Myr.

Nov. '98 Neutral Ground Type II Academy
    One of the original Academy builds, usable enough in multiplayer. Extremely not Vintage or Legacy legal nowadays!

I was told of an infinite mana combo the other day: Composite Golem + Nim Deathmantle.
    Who Am I?
    I am Blue/Black
    I am Blue/Black

Is this your Christmas gift to the forums?  Thank you!

We need to get zammm to add it to the sticky.

Maybe a point somewhere that Meltdown makes decks running the artifact lands cry.

Many artifacts deal with counters of one form or another; Energy Chamber loves proliferate.

No love for Razor Pendulum?  Or did I simply miss it?

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Ask and ye shall receive!

So mote it be.

Thank you!

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
    OK, so here is a really Esper/Mirrodin-centric artifact deck that focuses on recursion, buff/protection and crowd control.  I didn't really advertise it here on this forum, because it seems a little unremarkable for ingenuity, but I've found it solid in my meta.  There are a bunch of really fast creatures to come out, recursion to pad my losses and crowd control that only grows more stifling as the game gets later.  Some games have been won by the Cumber Stone stopping everyone until I powered through with creatures buffed by the various swords, other games by continually wiping everything with the Scourglass and then putting another in play immediately for the next turn.  Nothing sucks, so there really isn't a bad draw that can be had unless I'm just flat-out mana screwed.

4 x Etherium Sculptor
    4 x Master of Etherium
    4 x Esper Stormblade
    4 x Tidehollow Strix
    2 x Sphinx Summoner
    4 x Sanctum Gargoyle (recursion engine part I)
    1 x Sharuum the Hegemon (recursion engine part II
    2 x Sword of Light and Shadow (recursion engine part III)
    2 x Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 x Sword of Body and Mind
    4 x Icy Manipulator (beatdown stopper part I)
    4 x Cumber Stone (beatdown stopper part II)
    4 x Scourglass (beatdown stopper part III)
    4 x Seat of the Synod
    4 x Ancient Den
    4 x Vault of Whispers
    4 x Arcane Sanctum
    1 x Academy Ruins (recursion engine part IV)
    1 x Tundra
    1 x Underground Sea
    1 x Scrubland

I've been toying with the idea of taking out the various mirrodin swords, Academy Ruins, and the Esper Stormblades to put in 4 x Sword of the Meek, 4 x Thopter Foundry, 2 x Sharding Sphinx and 1 x Tolarian Academy to supercharge the Master of Etherium, but since the Master ends up getting whacked most of the time anyway, I might keep it as is.  In any case, the Masters end up around 10/10 to 12/12 on average and there doesn't seem to be a lack of creatures for me due to the recursion, and the mirrodin swords give much-needed color protection/buffing for that one beater the opponent couldn't deal with.
    Beautiful guide and a great read!

one thing though: in dealing with artifact pwnage you don't mention Open the Vaults or Roar of Reclamation eventhough you do name them in part 4. white.

WARNING: MIRRODIN BESIEGED SPOILER
    Show

seen the lovely new Glissa?
    Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)

WARNING: MIRRODIN BESIEGED SPOILER
    Show

seen the lovely new Glissa?

Show
    Yep.  She, among others, is the reason why I'm going Phyrexian for the prerelease.

Who Am I?
    I am Blue/Black
    I am Blue/Black

Classic ThrummingRats
    As seen on MTGSalvation and Wizards.com.

probably not the deck you were looking for but:

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.a...

at the very bottom there is a Psychogenic Probe deck.
    Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
    The good news - an O.P. can hold a lot of text.
    The bad news - I had to trip over the limit to find that out!

Cathaldus - Nothing against your initial post, but could you knock it out, just so the sections are all in a pretty row for future viewers? I can refund you with a free reply later in the thread! ;)

Helphelpe - Thanks! I've added it in. Much as it's not the original forum one, it is a MaGo creation. And hence, Johnny-worthy.

Phew, I'm done! ;)

I've added everything I wanted to add, I think.
    If there are any glaring errors, let me know.
    If there are cards or decklists you want added, let me know.
    If you think I'm a raging tosser, let me know (it's the Internet - I can choose to ignore you if I like).

Thanks for all who had their input!

I just went through the entire guide looking for ideas for my new EDH deck (those who have seen the spoiler of Mirrodin Besieged know what I am going to build). I really love the guide, it is well written and very clearly sorted. I appreciate all the work and time you have put into it.

Just two minor things, the auto cards don't work for the following cards:
    2a repeatable sword of body and mind
    2a recursive Myr Reservoir

Cathaldus - Nothing against your initial post, but could you knock it out, just so the sections are all in a pretty row for future viewers? I can refund you with a free reply later in the thread!

I actually had to look back and see what you were talking about.  Yep, it's right there, right smack dab in the middle of your guide, hilariously out of place.  I've already gotten rid of it.
    Who Am I?
    I am Blue/Black
    I am Blue/Black

erdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">@helphelpe: Thanks, I'm anal about things like that. Glad you highlighted them to me. I've fixed them now... no idea why the Sword's autocard wasn't working. I seriously knocked the spaces out in between the words, put them back in, and it began working!

@Cathaldus: Yeah, it did make for an amusing comic interlude in the end! If I hadn't ended up writing such a fat guide that needed to spray across two posts...

I don't visit much anymore, but I love artifacts in mp and this is a great write up. However I am sad to see Tangle Wire isn't listed anywhere on here.  It is so able to be abusive in mp.  Its really quite a disgusting lock down mech for mp.
    I don't visit much anymore, but I love artifacts in mp and this is a great write up. However I am sad to see Tangle Wire isn't listed anywhere on here.  It is so able to be abusive in mp.  Its really quite a disgusting lock down mech for mp.

Good gracious, you're right... Tangle Wire's brutal when it's built around, almost as nasty as Stasis. It must've fallen victim to the "I can't mention everything" factor. Now thrown in under repeatable Cockroaches.

Good gracious, you're right... Tangle Wire's brutal when it's built around, almost as nasty as Stasis. It must've fallen victim to the "I can't mention everything" factor. Now thrown in under repeatable Cockroaches.

Hello proliferate!
    Who Am I?
    I am Blue/Black
    I am Blue/Black

Stations
    Show

Station decks are possibly the ultimate Johnny artifact deck. They're full of expensive, synergistic cards that go infinite together, pieced around the four Stations from Fifth Dawn - Blasting Station, Grinding Station, Salvaging Station and Summoning Station.
    Obviously, there are many, many ways of sending these infinite. The usual Station deck will seek to accelerate the Stations out quickly using artifact mana and/or Tinker-like spells, and provide a fair bit of sacrificial fodder for recursion.

Seeing your Guide reminds me to input my Scars of Mirroden updates to my Machine deck.  (Actually, I've only added Alara cards, since I skipped that block.)

Growing aggravated by an online account system whose changes make it harder to access information, while ignoring useful feedback from community members.

Share your opinions here: http://community.wizards.com/forums/102116

http://community.wizards.com/forums/103446

http://community.wizards.com/forums/129986

http://community.wizards.com/forums/102616

What about Muse Vessel?  I know that BoaB featured it once upon a time, and mixed it with bouncing/stealing land to reign fairly triumphant.  In a MP environment, I don't see that strategy working well or reliably, even with Limited Resources or Sunder shenanigans.

Still, I'm thinking a Muse Vessel deck or subtheme - packing Fellwar Stones and/or Rupture Spires - might provide an interesting addition to decks based on twisting targets, so principally a RU deck.

This use would put the Muse Vessel in the Pigeon side of the house, though also perhaps Spider or Rattlesnake, depending on usage.

Am I crazy for this thought?

Cheers!
    What about Muse Vessel?  I know that BoaB featured it once upon a time, and mixed it with bouncing/stealing land to reign fairly triumphant.  In a MP environment, I don't see that strategy working well or reliably, even with Limited Resources or Sunder shenanigans.

Still, I'm thinking a Muse Vessel deck or subtheme - packing Fellwar Stones...

I don't know, krichaiushii, but I liked that article and the one on eight-post enough at the time to create this:

It is fun, but doesn't do what I want - which is create intresting games with Muse Vessel :0 Tell me if you come up with something. Most games it just creates a ton of mana and then does a lot of high-powered nasty things.

Added Mirrodin Beseiged, after giving it time to percolate.

I've kept Sphinx of the Steel Wind as the #1 finisher. Blightsteel Colossus could easily have taken the slot, but I find it just a bit too big a gorilla for my tastes. As much as Blightsteel is killing in one swing, the Sphinx has far more utility. Care to argue the point? (Yes, I'm open to changing this - you can talk me into doing so if you come up with a compelling enough argument!)

Other awesome Beseiged cards that received good props - Bonehoard, Mirrorworks, Spine of Ish Sah, Psychosis Crawler.

I'm going to challenge you a lot here. I obviously love the idea of these guides and understand the hard work that goes into them, but sometimes I feel like they lack an overall useful purpose for the readers. I've read your guide from cover to cover (excluding decklists) and if I had to make comments, it would be the following:

Be very mindful of how your classify cards. I know you've probably heard me say this a dozen times by now, but I still feel like people aren't getting it right. Believe me, I screwed up in this area as much as anyone else, but I'd still like there to be some cohesion and consistency between the guides if possible. Here is the rough outline:

Cockroach cards: these are effects that persist over time.
    Gorilla: these cards have global impacts.
    Rattlesnake: these cards ward off threats.
    Pigeon: these cards benefit from an increase in players.
    Plankton: these cards help everyone.
    Spider: these are "trap" cards.

Looking at your guide, a lot of this isn't followed. For example, you list a lot of Rackling-like effects as Pigeon cards. These are Cockroach cards because it's a persistent effect. Yes, it hits each player, but that doesn't make it a Pigeon card. It's always doing 3 (or whatever) damage per player, be it 1 or 10 opponents. The card isn't bigger or better in multiplayer. Pigeon doesn't mean it's good at defending against or killing other players. Most of what you have listed as Pigeon and Gorilla cards are Cockroach cards. There's just not much consistency at all. I don't get why Storm Cauldron is listed as a Pigeon/Plankton when it's really just a Cockroach/Plankton. It might be "wacky"card in multiplayer, but the fact is that the card doesn't care if there's 1 or 10 opponents, it's still behaving the exact same way. Half the cards (if not more) in this guide should just be Cockroach cards.

Bonehoard, Sun Droplet, Beast of Burden, Mind's Eye, these are Pigeon effects. As the number of players increases, these cards increase in power. Basically, the rough keywords for Pigeon cards is something like "each upkeep" or "number of Xs in play/in each player's hand/all graveyards." Ask yourself if the card will be bigger or get more triggers or whatever if there are more players around. If not, it's not a Pigeon.

Your spider cards just seem completely off. This is where you're looking for things with Flash that can come out to surprise people, like Leonin Bladetrap and Darksteel Sentinel. Cards like Veilstone Amulet are just Cockroach cards, they don't pop out of nowhere to screw people over. Spiders are a very small subset of cards, they aren't permanents that come into play at sorcery speed. None of your equipment without Flash is a spider effect as they have to be played on your turn, equipped, and then whatever. That gives players tons of time to react to them and decide what to do about them. Look for the Ethersworn Shieldmages, not the Bronze Bombshells (no idea why that's there).

I don't like your take on Gorilla cards. You seem to have chosen every creature 4/4 or bigger and called it a Gorilla regardless of what it actually might be. Gorilla cards are the mass removal Oblivion Stone, Sundering Titan spells that globally destroy things or cause massive damage/life loss, force discarding, etc. Rusted Relic is just a 4 mana 5/5. That's not a multiplayer card/effect that players really care about. Think of Gorillas as cards that blow up the world or bash everyone to bits. Keyword there is "everyone." Just being big doesn't make the card a gorilla. I would take out most of the big creatures that don't have good effects (keep Platinum Angel and Platinum Emperion as Cockroaches obviously) Also, again, I see cards like Black Vise here. This is a Cockroach effect because it's persistent. But, moreso, it only hits one player, making it a pretty useless mutiplayer card. I would never have it in the guide when Iron Maiden is strictly better.

That's the next point I'd like to get to, about the usefulness of the these guides. Back in the day I used to list every card too, even creatures like Coffin Puppets and Smolder Initiate. Do they benefit in multiplayer? Yes. Do they have an animal element? Yes (Cockroach, persistent effect). Would I ever suggest using them in a 100 years? No. The truth is that we can try to list every card possible, but then people are tricked into thinking terrible cards are good. I want people reading my guide to buy cards like Exsanguinate and Syphon Mind. I suggest those cards every day on these forums. Why go into detail talking about Smolder Initiate when there's no way he'd ever stay in someone's deck? Bad cards are bad, even if they do technically fit within the parameters of these guides. Just as an obvious example, look at Dwarven Weaponsmith which you have listed. Would you ever in a million years suggest him/keep him in a multiplayer deck? Hell no. Sure, he technically has a Cockroach effect, but that doesn't make him good. Again, this is just my personal belief, but don't fill the guides with terrible cards because they technically make the cut. Keep them streamlined to highlight the best cards so that players can actually use these guides to find good cards and make informed card choices. If you wouldn't suggest the card on a regular basis, don't keep it in.

Why do I have such a strong opinion on this? Think about your audience. Mutiplayer magic is by and large a casual format played by less experienced players. If you don't make the optimal card choices obvious I find that people tend to pick the wrong ones. If at the end of the day you just want more people to use Exsanguinate, do what I did and say "play Exsanguinate" 10 times in the guide. Drill the most important stuff as hard as possible and cut whatever isn't important.

As for your "cards you need to own" section, how rich do you think people are? Do you honestly think that telling people to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on overpriced chase rares is helpful? Sun Droplet is great, Elixir of Immortality is great, but Darksteel Colossus? That belongs in almost every deck? Really? I can't say that I agree. This should be where you showcase the cheap, powerful cards like Mind's Eye (and yes you did list it) that players can actually afford. They should also be cards that go with almost any deck. Lotus Petal is not a card everyone needs. It costs a lot of money and will mana screw players. It's good in some combo decks, but there's no way it's a card that all players need. I'm not saying that you shouldn't list good cards just because they're expensive, but try to remember your audience here. So much of your list just seems useless to me. Most of it is decent in pure artifact decks, but not in mutiplayer decks in general.

Building that note, I don't like how most of your guide is built around making pure artifact decks and not just integrating mutiplayer artifacts into multiplayer decks. I feel like you got way to hung up on the idea that the deck has to be entirely based around artifacts for artifacts to be useful. You talk about the Sphinx a lot and how it's the "best" Tinker target. What % of the decks that come through this forum even have Tinker in them? 1%? I understand that the Sphinx is good, and he's used a lot in Vintage, but this is multiplayer magic. I don't think that a lot of your advice is applicable to any random reader. It all feels too specific to an artifact based deck sporting artifact lands and Tinker, fueled by a massive bankroll to buy any and all cards. It's a fun thought, but has no real world application.

*Keep in mind that this is just what goes through my head when I work on my own guide. Every day I cut more and more of it to try and make it more "useful" (my own warped, biased definition of useful) in my eyes. If your goal is to make an information center that lists artifacts, artifact support cards and how they fare in multiplayer, by all means. After all, it's what I used to do too. I'm just not convinced that actually helps anyone.
    My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
    Thanks, Tich - I appreciate it. Contrary to popular belief, I am very much human, and do screw up. Across a guide this large, there are guaranteed to be stupidities on my behalf.

Be very mindful of how your classify cards. I know you've probably heard me say this a dozen times by now, but I still feel like people aren't getting it right. Believe me, I screwed up in this area as much as anyone else, but I'd still like there to be some cohesion and consistency between the guides if possible.

Agreed entirely - that's an area that I've had to battle in, and I have no doubt there are several cards in the wrong categories, even besides the ones you've mentioned. Having others point them out helps you get the categories correct in your own head, so it's always helpful to have that feedback. Definitely off to fix the ones you've pointed out!
    And yes, I'm probably guilty of padding the Spider section out a little. I needed something in there, but the reality is that there are very few artifact traps out there.

That's the next point I'd like to get to, about the usefulness of the these guides. Back in the day I used to list every card too, even creatures like Coffin Puppets and Smolder Initiate. Do they benefit in multiplayer? Yes. Do they have an animal element? Yes (Cockroach, persistent effect). Would I ever suggest using them in a 100 years? No. The truth is that we can try to list every card possible, but then people are tricked into thinking terrible cards are good. I want people reading my guide to buy cards like Exsanguinate and Syphon Mind. I suggest those cards every day on these forums. Why go into detail talking about Smolder Initiate when there's no way he'd ever stay in someone's deck? Bad cards are bad, even if they do technically fit within the parameters of these guides. Just as an obvious example, look at Dwarven Weaponsmith which you have listed. Would you ever in a million years suggest him/keep him in a multiplayer deck? Hell no.

You're kidding me... did I actually put Dwarven Weaponsmith in the guide?

*runs off and checks*

Oh hell, I did too...

Yes, again, you're dead right. You're probably finding the areas I tried to pad out. But your point is well taken - there's no point trying to pad out something that isn't worth padding out in the first place. I had fun with the Weaponsmith 10+ years ago, but he's just not at a high enough power level in today's environment to rate a mention.
    People, are there any other cards mentioned in the guide that are teh suxx0rs in your opinion? Let me know, and I'll piff it. I'd hate there to be too many more Dwarven Weaponsmiths rating a mention (this is the Artifact Guide, not the Dwarf Tribal Guide, after all). ;)

As for your "cards you need to own" section...
    I'm not saying that you shouldn't list good cards just because they're expensive, but try to remember your audience here. So much of your list just seems useless to me. Most of it is decent in pure artifact decks, but not in mutiplayer decks in general.

Building that note, I don't like how most of your guide is built around making pure artifact decks and not just integrating mutiplayer artifacts into multiplayer decks. I feel like you got way to hung up on the idea that the deck has to be entirely based around artifacts for artifacts to be useful. You talk about the Sphinx a lot and how it's the "best" Tinker target. What % of the decks that come through this forum even have Tinker in them? 1%? I understand that the Sphinx is good, and he's used a lot in Vintage, but this is multiplayer magic. I don't think that a lot of your advice is applicable to any random reader. It all feels too specific to an artifact based deck sporting artifact lands and Tinker, fueled by a massive bankroll to buy any and all cards. It's a fun thought, but has no real world application.

Now this one was the tricky one in writing the guide.
    An artifact guide was always going to have to walk the balance between pure artifice decks and mentioning sole artifacts that work anywhere. I'm still not convinced I've got the balance right, but I think it probably comes down to getting the right decks in the Strategy and Decklists, and getting the right cards in the Awesome List. 
    I do take your point on the Cards You Must Own list, as I feel like I'm missing some staple commons and uncommons that deserve to be in a thousand decks. I just can't seem to stumble across them at this point. So, yes, suggestions taken.
    Though a fair few of the bomb cards I've listed in there are actually a lot more available than some people think. I'm on a budget like most casual guys, and I'm nowadays able to raise the money for Darksteel Colossus, Tinker and Sharding Sphinx easily (they're all under $3 a copy, probably less. Though Tinker will always be around there). In part, I am probably blessed to have been buying heavily around Urza's Block time, which gave me the Academy, the Tinkers, the Metalworker, the Masticore and so forth cheaply. I hope I've mentioned their relative cost well enough in there, but I can only speak from experience with these ones - they are freaking awesome to play with, despite their cost.

So yes, any ideas on how to strike a better balance will be greatly appreciated.
    Maybe I need to start a "Your Favourite C/U Artifacts" thread to fill this out?

*Keep in mind that this is just what goes through my head when I work on my own guide. Every day I cut more and more of it to try and make it more "useful" (my own warped, biased definition of useful) in my eyes. If your goal is to make an information center that lists artifacts, artifact support cards and how they fare in multiplayer, by all means. After all, it's what I used to do too. I'm just not convinced that actually helps anyone.

Oh, it's greatly appreciated as always. I think these days that having dirty great lists will help the EDH players, but you're right, we can probably do with a culling here (after all, what we have is still very much the first cut). I know exactly what you mean by having to go off your own biases and experiences when writing these things - about the best I can do is have first crack at it, and open it up for other people to refine out my own biases.

I'm glad we see eye to eye on so many things. I'm definitely guilty of padding myself, I know for a fact Muck Drubb is still in my guide a spider card. Gotta steal those Armadillo Cloaks! Yeah... right... That wins multiplayer games... To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. If we're padding sections then we're just giving bad advice. It's just best to leave it at Leonin Bladetrap and maybe a few other decent cards like Darksteel Sentinel, but honestly, there really isn't much to write home about. Most of the equipment with Flash is incredibly weak and not worth using, especially in multiplayer. 1 toughness is worthless, no one is going to put that in their decks. I wouldn't try and dazzle the world with artifact's spiders, it is what it is. Keep the Bullwhip type cards that force players to make bad decisions though, that's altogether different and pretty powerful in multiplayer.

To be honest, in my new revision (which is coming up this week) I'm cutting out the combined elements section. I hate the idea of listing Pigeon cards but having Kokusho, the Evening Star hidden away in under some random "combined element" because it's also a rattlesnake. He should be at the front and center of the Pigeon section. At the end of the day, even though cards can fall under multiple categories, they're really going to fall under one big one. Why split hairs when it just makes things so much more complicated? Not sure what you think about that, but I think that this will fix the "less dense" sections somewhat. Sorting cards is nice, but I feel like I'm getting too specific.

Speaking of which, I have kind of a new vision for my guide. In fact I might make it a whole new post. I almost want to make a multiplayer bible that lists like the 15-20 best cards for each color for each animal element. Nothing obscure, no padding, just the Multani, Maro-Sorcerers, Kokusho, the Evening Stars, Balances, Poxes, Rhystic Studys, Evacuations, Insurrections etc. Pure, mindless, multiplayer power that anyone can read and go "I want this card." No thinking, no strategies, no combos, just a running record of the best multiplayer spells. If your deck is blue and you need defense you open up the blue rattlesnake section and see Propaganda, Wall of Frost, Web of Inertia, etc. Done. If you're playing red and you need a gorilla card you find Earthquake. This is what I'm trying to do with my guide, cut the filler and keep the gold.  Ithink I might work on this "bible" though as well in the meantime.

I'm also not sure how to tackle the EDH thing myself, since you kinda brought it up at the end. I wanted to talk about good EDH generals and strategies, but talking about card choices could be a guide of its own. For now I'm happy just talking about the 10 or whatever generals I mention, and leaving the rest to the EDH forums and their guides.
    My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies

Added relevant New Phyrexia cards for your enjoyment. Norn's Annex most certainly hits the 'Must Have MP Artifacts' list. Total attack lockdown for a little over $1 a copy? Yeah!
    And yeah, Tich, probably removed three times as much as I added!

Threw in the now-Comprehensive-Rules-backed Psychosis Crawler deck as an alt-build, provided no-one thinks it completely janky.

I've since updated my Bosh control deck (given that with the release of the Commander decks I'll have a playset of Sol Ring, this seemed like the deck to put it into).  The current incarnation of the deck (-1 Thran Dynamo, +1 Mimic Vat) is an absolute powerhouse.  I can win out of nowhere with Chandra's Spitfire + Pyrohemia, aggressively Pyrohemia people out (especially if I hit with a Wurmcoil Engine, play the slow control deck [c]With Mimic Vat + Bosh, Iron Golem or win through pure Valakut attrition.  Pyrohemia is easily one of my favorite cards now.

The current version will be able to kill off 3 opponents as quickly as the beginning of turn 6:

Who Am I?
    I am Blue/Black
    I am Blue/Black

Bump!
    Okay, added the vast majority of suggestions from our sister MTGS forum, a couple of new cards and a couple of new decklists.

Currently chasing the following decklists to add to this guide, if people are able to supply any that work. ;)

I've currently got a new Crown / Scepter / Throne of Empires deck kicking around that I'm testing for WorthinessTM. If it proves as awesome as it so far seems to be, I'll throw details in on the next iteration.
    I also have a mate in my playgroup rocking an absolutely brutal MP Stonehewer Giant deck at the moment - I've asked him for his decklist, and I'll throw it up for your enjoyment.

Bump!
    Okay, added the vast majority of suggestions from our sister MTGS forum, a couple of new cards and a couple of new decklists.

Currently chasing the following decklists to add to this guide, if people are able to supply any that work. ;)

In real life, the deck came apart.  As I recall, the deck itself might be buried in the massive Sunforger toolbox thread here in the depths of the MP forum, although I vaguely suspect I may have posted Sunforged Djinn seperately.  That would still be in the same depths.

Anyhow, it didn't play well, as it tried to do too much.  If you haven't already done so, that Sunforger toolbox deck, however, should be up for adding.

Regardless, I will see if I cannot dig up the thread.

Cheers!

First of I enjoyed reading your guide.  It gave some ideas that I might have not thought of for some of my decks.  It was neatly done and informative.  I would like to thank you for your time it must have taken just to get it started and try to think of some the best cards to to put in.  But i think you left one out, Ebony Owl netsuke.  I have draw deck i'm working on centered around it.  One other thing the example decks you have posted, the autocard doesn't work.

I am Red/Green
    I am Red/Green

I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.

How to autocard

Most important rule in autocarding is make sure you spell the card correctly.

Single Card

[*c]Forest[*/c] minus * = Forest

Deck

[*deck]

16 Forest

2 strip mine

[*/deck]

minus * =

Card Nicknames [*c=Wrath of God]WoG[*/c] minus the * = WoG

Single Player Decks I'm currently playing

Assault of the Minotaurs

Lands