Famine in Far-Go Adventure: Questions, Errata, Problems (SPOILERS)

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here be spoilers for the Famine in Far-Go adventure.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
I'm running the adventure for my group, and I've done Encounters 1 and 2.

They both reference "Trees" as terrain features, and the Tactics for the vegepygmie scavenger say it will hide in the trees.

... and there are no trees on the map.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
If you have Dungeon Tiles use the tree tiles from the wilderness set to dress up the maps. Or if you play Heroscape use the trees from there.

I am planning on using a lot of the dungeon tiles to spice up the maps myself.

Also scanning in or making a color copy of your maps and then cutting them up to make "new" tiles would be an option as well. You can laminate the new cut-outs and give yourself all sorts of new options.

The Star Wars miniatures maps and tiles would work well too.
I ran this for a second group today; the party did Encounters 1, 2, 3, and 9. In almost every encounter we lost a character -- all of them belonging to billdownawell.  His first character blew an overcharge and got lost in the time stream; the next was accidentally killed by another player who didn't notice that the Force Axe targets all creatures (not enemies) in close burst 1.

The group went down to meet the crazy Hermit, and bill's third character killed the guy's sick pig immediately upon hearing the boxed text; to placate the angry Hermit, the rest of the party hunted down and killed the pig-murderer and brought the remains back as a peace offering. Then in the last fight he was killed by the CIFAL.

... all in all a pretty good session.

Encounter #9: There should be a better connection between the Corrins and the CIFAL in #9 -- maybe make the icky bugs come out when one of the birds dies and crashes on the roof? Also, you may want to have your birds circling at 11 squares instead of 12. None of my Corrins were able to get off their close blasts since they don't fly fast enough.

Encounter #3: The players all wanted to get motorcycles, but when the non-minions are bloodied, their motorcycles are destroyed. I narrated that all the motorcycles exploded in creative ways, telling them "you know, like in the movies." The minions don't actually state that their bikes are destroyed when they die, but I assume that's the intent anyway. One porker surrendered and I let the players keep his cycle.

The Surplus: I assume this is where the players are supposed to buy popcorn. I guess it's nice to know where Yondalla ended up after being kicked out of 4e D&D!

Map of East Dah-Koh-Tah (page 90): This map doesn't show where the Hermit lives, and it's not easy to figure out where he's actually supposed to be located. Also the map scale is kind of hard to find at first; each little square on the map is 5 miles.

Oh, by the way, one of bill's characters had the Temporal origin.

The at-will Novice power for the Temporal origin is seriously broken. Do not use it as written.

If you're the type of person who doesn't freak out at encounter Novice powers, please consider making this an encounter power. If not, keep it an at-will but do something like removing the dazed, the damage, the weapon keyword, and/or the teleport.

The at-will Novice power for the Temporal origin is seriously broken. Do not use it as written.

If you're the type of person who doesn't freak out at encounter Novice powers, please consider making this an encounter power. If not, keep it an at-will but do something like removing the dazed, the damage, the weapon keyword, and/or the teleport.

Or let it stay broken.  With random character generation, it won't come up much.  When it does, it is special.

I love random character generation.  Play what you get.  In the context of random character generation I would say it is not broken.

That power is bad but not nearly as broken as the Magnetic's Novice at-will. The thing to realize here is that the power is a minor action and unless I'm not seeing a ruling in the main-book then the magnetic can use his power 3 times a round, every round. I am going to have to make a house-rule that powers may only be used once a round to keep that cheese down to a minimum.

Another issue I had was that I could not find any rules about Melee Touch attacks, they are listed for certain origins like Ectoplasmic and Entropy but I cannot find any rules for them in Gamma World.

Yeah its pretty overpowered.

Shoot the pig and teleport it on top of the hermit then shoot him the chest.

Always pay attention to your fellow party members.

That power is bad but not nearly as broken as the Magnetic's Novice at-will. The thing to realize here is that the power is a minor action and unless I'm not seeing a ruling in the main-book then the magnetic can use his power 3 times a round, every round. I am going to have to make a house-rule that powers may only be used once a round to keep that cheese down to a minimum.

Another issue I had was that I could not find any rules about Melee Touch attacks, they are listed for certain origins like Ectoplasmic and Entropy but I cannot find any rules for them in Gamma World.

Wow, yeah, I just looked and you're right. Magnetic is seriously broken.
Who is to say that these are broken at all? I mean, this isn't D&D 4e, this is unbalanced and "hilarious" according to the developers. "A giant, humanoid rabbit hahahahaha, that's soooooo funny".

I don't really think of this as a beer & pretzels kind of game at all. It's not like Teenagers from Outer Space or Toon.

The way I see it broken is that they weren't consistent with their terminology and visual queues such as Encounter powers having a green background for the title or Minor action attacks (so yes, the Magnetic and Yeti are broken in that respect). Hell, they even have a Daily power for the Alien origin's Expert power and it's not that strong at all.

Errata would be nice, but I don't forsee anything coming out of the lackluster editorial department for a lot of the issues Gamma World has. They would have probably been better off with the D&D Essentials Rules Compendium required and pushed all the flavor and origins in the books. *shake* I really don't understand what they thought they were doing when they pushed the GW books out the door.
Who is to say that these are broken at all? I mean, this isn't D&D 4e, this is unbalanced and "hilarious" according to the developers. "A giant, humanoid rabbit hahahahaha, that's soooooo funny".

I don't really think of this as a beer & pretzels kind of game at all. It's not like Teenagers from Outer Space or Toon.

The way I see it broken is that they weren't consistent with their terminology and visual queues such as Encounter powers having a green background for the title or Minor action attacks (so yes, the Magnetic and Yeti are broken in that respect). Hell, they even have a Daily power for the Alien origin's Expert power and it's not that strong at all.

Errata would be nice, but I don't forsee anything coming out of the lackluster editorial department for a lot of the issues Gamma World has. They would have probably been better off with the D&D Essentials Rules Compendium required and pushed all the flavor and origins in the books. *shake* I really don't understand what they thought they were doing when they pushed the GW books out the door.

They were making a pre-Christmas release date. Also, considering previous support for Gamma World, this is not a game they take seriously at all. A few employees were able to make a good arguement for it, and were given limited support to develop it into a product that could be sold. The current game is a reflection of WotC's current ability to support products outside of their major products.

That isn't to say I don't like the product - It's great. There's just so much room for improvement, that I can't believe they were happy with the state of the product when it was sent to the printer.

They were thinking of making money.  I'm guessing Gamma World was done with out the complete support of all the WotC exec.  It was done cheaply and quickly and if successful its a win, if not then it wouldn't be a resources heavy draining loser.   Anyway I'm supporting with my money, purchasing booster packs and expansion box sets, so it's a winner with our group.  I hope to see the revised comprehensive rules in a year. 
Got it for Christmas!!  Great read so far.....

Having seen the questionable origins in Famine-in-fargo, on the surface they look overpowered.  But I have to balance that assesment with actual play of random generation and character death.  We have had three sessions of Gamma World so far with 1 death per session, and the last session getting two.  So I am tending to think, let them be gonzo if they rolled it.....it will soon pass....life on Gamma Terra.

I love the zombies from the monsters section.
What cryptic alliance cards are supposed to be in box?  I got eight, supposed to get 10.  6 are doubles, two are not.  I count 12 cryptic alliances, including 'dangerous' alliances.

Mine came with 2 each of Archivists, Brotherhood of thought, New Dawn, Radioactivists and Restorationists.   total of 10 cards.  2 for each of the main alliances and none for the hostile ones.

What cryptic alliance cards are supposed to be in box?  I got eight, supposed to get 10.  6 are doubles, two are not.  I count 12 cryptic alliances, including 'dangerous' alliances.

Yep, you got shorted 2 cards. Mine also came with 10 as detailed by Soraku.

Silly error: the Alien Expert power targets, of all things, Dex?  Foot in mouth
Silly error: the Alien Expert power targets, of all things, Dex?  Foot in mouth

That... Is an incredibly awkward find. I would likely rule that it targets Reflex, instead - MAYBE saying that it targets Reflex, but forces the target to use their Dexterity for their Reflex, given that knowing how to evade attacks might not help so much against a teleported in mini-nuke, but dodging behind a convienant lead-lined refridgerator might. XD
Hrm... When the death Saucer is first bloodied, it crashes, and is grounded for the entirety of the remainder of the combat. While grounded, it can't use Neutron Bomb. Why does Neutron Bomb recharge on bloodied, then?
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
Hrm... When the death Saucer is first bloodied, it crashes, and is grounded for the entirety of the remainder of the combat. While grounded, it can't use Neutron Bomb. Why does Neutron Bomb recharge on bloodied, then?

I'd imagine that the initial idea was to have it use Neutron Bomb immediately upon being Bloodied, as well.

They were making a pre-Christmas release date. Also, considering previous support for Gamma World, this is not a game they take seriously at all. A few employees were able to make a good arguement for it, and were given limited support to develop it into a product that could be sold.

Ironically, the poor editing, lack of errata, and various holes in the rules are all strongly reminiscent of the original GW, which was a typewriter-font, line-art, mish-mash of disfunctional rules if ever there was one.  Great fun, but not exactly the standard for quality control.  In that sense, GW is harkening back to it's roots.  All they really need is for the art to be a little worse, and to include some really soft dice that devolve into spheres over the years...

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Ironically, the poor editing, lack of errata, and various holes in the rules are all strongly reminiscent of the original GW

Don't forget 3rd edition, where they had to release a free rules supplement booklet to fix the major holes and errors in the release.  Three cheers for GW: The game where the most "wahoo" thing isn't the setting, but the books themselves.

I'm thinking that just means you need to hit the target's defence calculated without their level.
"Melee touch" isn't an indicator of what defenses get attacked, but just of the range of an attack.

The range "Melee touch" is almost always equal (in Gamma World) to range "Melee 1".

(The exception would be powers that increase your reach somehow, if they exist; depending on how they're written, they might increase the range of "Melee touch" but not "Melee 1" in all cases.)
Oraibi has it.  

Melee # = # squares
Melee touch = your reach
Melee weapon = your reach plus any weapon reach 

Oddly, however, there appear to be no rules for reach either.  
Weapons with reach don't exist in Gamma World outside of specific Omega Tech, which are written up as Melee 2 or Melee 3 without reference to reach.

Reach is a 3.x-ism which isn't really necessary in 4e/Gamma World.
Well, 4e has plenty of reach, but I nonetheless concur.  
The Arachnoid power 'cocooning webs' has no + level to attack, meaning its accuracy severely drops the more you level.

I'd suggest allowing a houserule giving the power + level.

Also, not a FIFG thing, but the Doppelganger's Multiplicity power should have the zone keyword.
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
The Arachnoid power 'cocooning webs' has no + level to attack, meaning its accuracy severely drops the more you level. I'd suggest allowing a houserule giving the power + level. Also, not a FIFG thing, but the Doppelganger's Multiplicity power should have the zone keyword.

You may want to post this on the Errata board...