49+ Origins - How to handle them?

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
With Famine in Far-go out, we're up to 41 total origins. Legion of Gold will have another 8, and then there are several fan-made origins on these boards already!

For those of you sticking to the random generation, how are you handling this, or how are you planning on handling it?

Personally, I'm currently thinking I'll do it like this, with Far-Go and the base set:
Each player will roll twice, evens and odds. Evens means the base set, odds for Far-Go. Then they'll roll the d20's as usual, for their origins. If they roll the same number twice but on different lists, Engineered Human becomes an option - They can chose to either use the origins they rolled, or replace one with Engineered Human. If they're using the same list for both results and get the same number twice, Engineered Human works like normal, becomming their secondary. Functionally, this adds in a (slight) opportunity for Engineered Human to become a character's primary origin.
With Famine in Far-go out, we're up to 41 total origins. Legion of Gold will have another 8, and then there are several fan-made origins on these boards already!

For those of you sticking to the random generation, how are you handling this, or how are you planning on handling it?

Personally, I'm currently thinking I'll do it like this, with Far-Go and the base set:
Each player will roll twice, evens and odds. Evens means the base set, odds for Far-Go. Then they'll roll the d20's as usual, for their origins. If they roll the same number twice but on different lists, Engineered Human becomes an option - They can chose to either use the origins they rolled, or replace one with Engineered Human. If they're using the same list for both results and get the same number twice, Engineered Human works like normal, becomming their secondary. Functionally, this adds in a (slight) opportunity for Engineered Human to become a character's primary origin.

I intend to combine all the origins into a single table, sorted alphabetically. I also intend to keep Engineered Human as a rarity, reserved only for a double origin roll.

Base Set + Famine in Far-Go = 40 Origins = 2 20-entry charts, d2 + d20 for each origin.

Base Set + Famine + Legions = 48 Origins = 4 12-entry charts, d4 + d12 for each origin.

Or use a customizable dice app to generate a d40 and a d48.

Simple.  
I was thinking about just slapping together a javascript page that I send people to during character creation.

But there's also: d6 + d20 roll for each. 1-3 (or odds) = core origins, 4-6 (or evens) for FiF. When Legion of Gold comes along, I just change that to 1-2 = core, 3-4 = FiF, and 5-6 = LoG.

I am not using fan-made origins other than my kludge for Pure Strain Humans which nobody has taken. I am currently in the redesign of how Pure Strain Humans work and one player has found the new ideas interesting. But this option was a choice rather than random.
My current thought is to have a percentile roll: 2 percent chance of each of the "normal" 48 origins and 4 percent of Engineered Human.  If a duplicate is rolled the person would get to choose one of their two origins (declaring it primary or secondary as they see fit).
You could always have the first roll be from the core and the second roll be from the expansion.
That is what I might do. 
This is one reason that cards for origin selection work better than dice.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Ah, very good point!
Maybe I'm missing something here but ignoring LoG for a moment (or a few months actually...), the FiFG book breaks it down exactly what to do on page 7 (d6 to determine table, then d20 to determine origins) But I must say, that it had occured to me to have players roll one origin from each table as well...
For last night's game, I had the players choose one of the following:

(a) Roll two origins from the FiFG.
(b) Roll one origin from GW and one origin from FiFG.
(c) Roll randomly as per page 7 of FiFG for both origins.

Everyone chose either (a) or (b).

Caoimhe Ora Snow

The only problem I have with using a d6 to determine which table to roll on, is the upcoming release of Legion of Gold, and that it will have 12 less origins than the other products. I'm wondering WHY they chose to cut down on the number of origins for LoG, and what they're going to suggest for character creation.

I'm considering the merits of using a dice roller and just setting up a d50, and adding Engineered Human and either a Pure Strain Human option or a "Player's Choice" option for the 50 slot.

How are people determining Engineered Human coupled with the Famine in Far-Go origins?

Like Serpine's answer. Just make it a couple d% rolls.
I'm handling additional origins by making customized charts with 10 origins each that center on a theme.  That way players get a little more control over their character by picking which themed chart to use while still retaining the random element.

glimmthegnome.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/s...  
I too am a bit confused as to why they decided to only put in 8 origins. I do have a suspicion that there might be something special about why they only chose 8, though the most likely being that, like was suggested, there will be some rules for Pure-Strain along with everything else, bringing the total up to 50. Though how w're supposed to roll for that, I dont know.

Its kind of annoying really, since in the Community Origin Compilations we've been doing sets of 20, with each set having a special origin you can choose from if you roll doubles - making for 80 origins plus extras. Up til now, the suggested method has been d6 for table, d20 for origin, rolling both dice for each origin. With Legion of Gold we'll have to come up with something difference. I dunno, maybe we'll just add in enough to make a flat d100 roll or something, though that totally screws with the % chances of Engineered/PSH/Cloned/etc.
Interestingly, you can do d6 and d8, if you monkey with the first two sets a bit.  
I'm handling additional origins by making customized charts with 10 origins each that center on a theme.  That way players get a little more control over their character by picking which themed chart to use while still retaining the random element.

glimmthegnome.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/s...  

This is a good idea. I approve!

Caoimhe Ora Snow

I think I'm going to pick my 12 favorite origins from those developed by the community and add them to those published by WotC.  That should make a total of 60 origins. 

1. roll d6, 1-2 roll on table in GW rule book,

2.  3-4 roll on FIF table,

3. 5-6 roll on custom table with the 8 origins from LoG and 12 from the community origins.  

4. Anyway tha is how I will do it.

How are people determining Engineered Human coupled with the Famine in Far-Go origins?

I imagine it would not change.  If you roll the same origin, your second one becomes Engineered Human.  Of course not having fif-g yet Cry, this is just logical speculation.
When log comes out, for origins I would tend to roll d12 with each origin.  1-5 core, 6-10, fif-g, & 11-12 log.  With 48 rollable origins, 20 in core, 20 in fif-g, and 8 in log, the d12 gives a good representative roll of all origins.
My choice is to use cards.

If you want a table...
2% per origin (including EH).
This gets you from 01-98.
Then just have 99-00 = "Player's Choice" or Roll Again
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
I was entertaining the thought of having each player make a list of origins that they're interested in.  I've looked at the game, and while the random origin thing has some merits, there are some I just couldn't deal with (I'm extremely bug-phobic and there ain't no way I'd be able to play an insectoid character) ... let the player make a list of his favorite 20 (or 12, or whatever) and roll 'em.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I have a deck of 40 cards, two for each of the GW origins. I'm planning on adding another 40 cards once I get my hands on FiF tomorrow. Engineered Human still only occurs on the draw of double origins.

Veteran of The Transfer... Add 700 to my post count... 

I was entertaining the thought of having each player make a list of origins that they're interested in.  I've looked at the game, and while the random origin thing has some merits, there are some I just couldn't deal with (I'm extremely bug-phobic and there ain't no way I'd be able to play an insectoid character) ... let the player make a list of his favorite 20 (or 12, or whatever) and roll 'em.

I've become a fan of GlimmtheGnome's suggestion above.  Smaller, themed tables.  They could just be themed to the type of character a player likes.  :D

Random thought, combine that and the origin cards: what if player's made their own origin decks?  Following the same rules, at least 7 cards, no more than 2 of each.  It's an interesting concept, I think, even if the numbers themselves need tweaking so 1 player doesn't play the same 3 characters every time he dies. 
In my experience many players like to play a general type or role in the party. Allowing them to refine their selection to fill that role might benefit all. I submit the following table which allows for random rolls, but specific roles:

Die RollType
1,2Tank (Fighter)
1Android (RB 36)
2Cockroach (RB 37)
3Giant (RB 42)
4Plant (RB 48) ©
5Rat Swarm (RB 51)
6Seismic (RB 52)
7Yeti (RB 55)
8Prescient (FF 22)
9Reanimated (FF 23)
10Shapeshifter (FF 24)
11Simian (FF 25)
12Hypercognitive (RB 45)
3Support (Cleric/Bard)
1Alien (FF 9)
2Electrokinetic (RB 39)
3Empath (RB 40)
4Radioactive (RB 50)
5Engineered Human (RB 57)
6Fungoid (FF 15)
7Mythic (FF 18)
8Plastic (FF 21)
4Speedster (Rogue)
1Doppelganger (RB 38)
2Hawkoid (RB 44)
3Speedster (RB 53)
4Arachnoid (FF 10)
5Ectoplasmic (FF 12)
6Gelatinous (FF 16)
7Felinoid (RB 41)
8Wheeled (FF 27)
5Blaster (Magic User)
1Pyrokinetic (RB 49)
2Entropic (FF 13)
3Mind Breaker (RB 46)
4Telekinetic (RB 54)
5AI (FF 8)
6Exploding (FF 14)
7Plaguebearer (FF 20)
6Controller (Cleric/MU)
1Gravity Controller (RB 43)
2Mind Coercer (RB 47)
3Cryokinetic (FF 11)
4Magnetic (FF 17)
5Nightmare (FF 19)
6Temporal (FF 26)
While I have not heard or looked for much info on the next expansion I know I saw something about jobs. Is it possible that they will be equivilent to an origin?
Insted of a Yeti/Rat swarm you might have a Yeti/Bounty hunter or a Rat swarm/scavenger.
IF it worked that way there could be 20 options.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Or let the group make a list of origins they like, or maybe just make one dependent upon where you start the game or what type of game you want to play.

Just like salting the GM's decks with psi Alpha mutations or area 52 Omega tech, there's no reason you can't similarly salt the origin tables for the type of game you want to play.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

This is one of the better threads on in the GW section.  Glimthe Gnome, Delphmonk and Oraibi have some great ideas about character creation.  I just checked out the WotC GW interactive character sheet.  Another tool to dull the wits of gamers everywhere.  
I just checked out the WotC GW interactive character sheet.  Another tool to dull the wits of gamers everywhere.  

So where is That? Is it in DDI?

I just checked out the WotC GW interactive character sheet.  Another tool to dull the wits of gamers everywhere.  

It's here:

www.wizards.com/dnd/blank.aspx?x=dnd/4dn...

It's outside the DDI paywall; i.e., it's free for everyone.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

This is one of the better threads on in the GW section.  Glimthe Gnome, Delphmonk and Oraibi have some great ideas about character creation.  I just checked out the WotC GW interactive character sheet.  Another tool to dull the wits of gamers everywhere.  

Thanks for the Props!  [Tchik*Tchik*]

It's here:

www.wizards.com/dnd/blank.aspx?x=dnd/4dn...

It's outside the DDI paywall; i.e., it's free for everyone.

Coooooooool.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
In my experience many players like to play a general type or role in the party. Allowing them to refine their selection to fill that role might benefit all. I submit the following table which allows for random rolls, but specific roles:

I like the idea of grouping origins by role.

This is one of the better threads on in the GW section.  Glimthe Gnome, Delphmonk and Oraibi have some great ideas about character creation. 

Thanks!   

A similar idea that I've had was to group origins by form and power. Some origins are clearly based on a character's powers ( such as Electrokinetic or Gravity Controller), while others are based on the character's physical form (Felinoid or Yeti, for example). Some fulfill both concepts.

(Rat Swarm, for example, could be a character who is comprised of a swarm OR it could be a character with a swarm of rats following him around, a la Willard. Plant could likewise be an actual evolved plant, or a humanoid with freakish plant-controlling powers, a la Poison Ivy from Batman.)

Ergo, I would like to compile two lists, and have the players roll a primary (power) origin, and a secondary (form) origin. Engineered Human would actually end up on the secondary (form) list. Origins that fit both lists will be listed at the same number spot and ...

I'm not sure exactly what happens if you roll the same number twice. Forcing the Engineered Human secondary would not only make them more common, it would make Engineered Humans with those specific powers more common than Engineered Humans with non-dual-type origins. Ideas would be appreciated.

The benefits of this solution:
- Makes Engineered Human a more common origin (which may not be a benefit, YMMV).
- Reduces both hard-to-grasp dual-form characters (such as hawkoid/yeti or cockroach/felinoid) AND cosmetically boring dual-power characters (such as radioactive/pyrokinetic or mind breaker/mind coercer).
- Makes dual-type origins less ambiguous. A plant/felinoid is a cat person who has plant-control powers, while a telekinetic/plant is a sentient plant with that has mastered the Jedi force push.

The problems with this solution:
- Makes Engineered Human a more common origin (which may not be an issue, YMMV).
- Makes the Origin type of all secondary (form) origins meaningless(which isn't an issue so much as a disappointment to the original authors).
- I still don't know exactly how to handle double rolls on dual-type origins.
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL

Taking into consideration their primary and secondary origins, I have the players classify their characters as either human, humanoid, mutated animal, mutated plant, or tech Enigineered.  It helps in determining the reactions of various NPC's.

Taking into consideration their primary and secondary origins, I have the players classify their characters as either human, humanoid, mutated animal, mutated plant, or tech Enigineered.  It helps in determining the reactions of various NPC's.

This is a very solid idea. It certainly allows you to visualize characters a bit more easily, as well! Due to the way the system works, it seems as though normal humans are quite the odd creature in this Gamma World.

Taking into consideration their primary and secondary origins, I have the players classify their characters as either human, humanoid, mutated animal, mutated plant, or tech Enigineered. 

This is a very solid idea.

It's so good that they put it on page 35 of the core rulebook.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Taking into consideration their primary and secondary origins, I have the players classify their characters as either human, humanoid, mutated animal, mutated plant, or tech Enigineered. 

This is a very solid idea.

It's so good that they put it on page 35 of the core rulebook.

Good Catch.
Sign In to post comments