Mental push questions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I noticed that several creatures (Gren archer, Dabber, Eradicator Mk3, etc.) do not have their regular at-will ranged attacks count as ranged basic attacks (i.e. the icon is not circled). I was thinking it was an oversight until I saw it occurring fairly often. Now I'm beginning to think it might be purposeful.

I don't have the book in front of me, but I'd speculate there might be a lot of both occurrences (circled and non-circled at-will, regular ranged attacks). Anyone know if this is purposeful?

It can make a big difference for the mind coercer's Mental push power, i.e.:
"Charisma modifier psychic damage, and the target makes a basic attack as a free action against a creature of your choice"

Other questions related to Mental push:
- Can you have the creature attack itself? Previously in the D&D Rules Forum this was determined as yes (by RAW). But when I played in a game run by one of the Game designers, he ruled no. So I'm just curious how everyone else would rule.

- When the creature makes this attack (assuming it's a ranged attack) does it provoke an Opportunity Attack?
Any time a ranged attack is made with enemies that are adjacent, this allows attacks of opportunity.

So, if you force a creature to attack it's ally, it's allies wouldn't AoO it, but if one of your allies are next to the attacker, then AoO does happen. IIF that creature is doing something that provokes an AoO such as ranged attacks, disengaging an enemy without shifting, etc.

At least, that's how I'd read it. Without knowing fully what you're talking about, I don't really think I can say any more than that.
Perusing the core book, only three creatures have a basic attack that is NOT melee: the Horl Choo Stinger's Stinging Quill, the Menarl Slime Spitter's Spit Poison, and the Eradicator's Alloy Tentacle (which has a melee icon but is listed as Ranged 40).

It seems to imply that "natural weapon" ranged attacks are basic, but that's not clear, since the terl's croak power is not, and obviously melee attacks don't follow the same pattern.  It still seems vaguely intentional though.

I might rule differently in-game, but that's not what you're asking.   
Perusing the core book, only three creatures have a basic attack that is NOT melee: the Horl Choo Stinger's Stinging Quill, the Menarl Slime Spitter's Spit Poison, and the Eradicator's Alloy Tentacle (which has a melee icon but is listed as Ranged 40).

It seems to imply that "natural weapon" ranged attacks are basic, but that's not clear, since the terl's croak power is not, and obviously melee attacks don't follow the same pattern.  It still seems vaguely intentional though.

Excellent info. Thanks! I had speculated on that too, but hadn't pursued it because one of the few GW creatures I had access to here at work (alien visitor) had a RBA with a weapon.

I might rule differently in-game, but that's not what you're asking.   

Actually, I'm interested in that info too.

I was starting to think about it, and most monsters simply use their abilities as the situation warrants, without necessarily worrying about player issues like "what weapon am I holding right now?"

If I felt like making monsters swap weapons in the same way players do, I might also simply rule that whatever weapon/implement attacks the creature has are only "basic" if they're presently held/wielded.  That has the benefit of being congruous with player action.

If not, I might instead rule that a monster's basic attack is the last at-will weapon attack it made. 

Either way, the Terl's Croak should be basic, though. 
Sign In to post comments