[Read First!] T2 Forums FAQ (UPDATED)

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome to T2 General Forum!

These forums are for everything T2 concerned that doesn't fit other forums. This is included, but not limited to: Articles, Rotation discussions, favorite T2 cards, concerns with T2 play, etc.

We ask you to read [Read First!] threads at each forums before you post a new thread, and that you observe to Posting Guidelines found at second post at said threads. For T2 & Standard forums related questions, please consult the FAQ below. If you have further questions regarding forums, we'll be happy to help you. [For your T2 related questions, please post your thread in one of the forums found here.]

Contact CageofPanacakes [VCL] via PM, AIM (Acowondrugs).
Contact xMono789 [VCL] via PM, AIM (xMono789)
Contact Royk [VCL] via PM
Contact Zammm [Senior VCL] via PM, AIM (GrifterMage) or by E-Mail
Contact the_rooster [Forum Guides] via PM

VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is this forum for?
A: This forum is for discussion of the current Type 2 (Standard) format. You can discuss T2 Rotation, new sets in this forum. Card strategys, standard philosophy, events, players, and the metagame.

Q: How do I Autocard?
A: Example: Damnation (Damnation).

Q: What is Type 2/Standard?
A: Standard and Type 2 are the same thing; a format consisting of the latest two blocks and the latest core set. The format is one of the most competitive and the most common tournament format. Whenever a new block enters the format, another block leaves, which keeps the format fresh, but it's also sad sometimes, because you often see good sets leave the format. This is partly the reason many prefer “Eternal” formats, like Vintage, which never shift. However, no matter how much you have against this format, it's fun and is still the most popular Magic format.

The card sets currently allowed in Standard are the following:

* Magic Core Set 2011
    * Zendikar
    * Worldwake   
    * Rise of the Eldrazi
    * Scars of Mirrodin

Q: Are any cards banned in Type 2?
A: No; there are no cards banned in Type 2 at the moment. Note that there aren’t any restricted cards, either: the only format that has restricted cards is Vintage.

Cards are usually banned when they are is too powerful, and every deck runs the card or builds around it. An example of this is Skullclamp, which was banned because it was so overpowered.

Q: Is there a limit to the number of copies of a card I can use in my deck?
A: Yes. In any constructed tournament, Standard or otherwise, you can only have four copies of any one card in your deck, with the sole exception of basic lands. (Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, Forest, Snow-Covered Plains, Snow-Covered Island, Snow-Covered Swamp, Snow-Covered Mountain and Snow-Covered Forest.)

Q: What are the Tiers?
A: The tiers are a leveled system to show the popularity of a given deck. Tier 1 indicates the most popular decks, tier 2 refers to decks that often see tournament play, and so on. Note that, it is this poster's opinion that ranking each deck with clear set tier numbers (some people go as far as ranking with decimals, like tier 1,5) is a wasteful discussion, and given that metas are always mutating, that people should instead focus on testing a variety of decks nevertheless, regardless of their "tier" numbers.

Q: Can I use an old card if it is the same as a card printed in a standard-legal set?
A: Yes. You can use any tournament-legal cards in a Type 2 deck as long as it has been reprinted in a Standard-legal set. (You can see a list of those sets further up on this page.)

Q: I have some cards that have gold borders and a black card back. Are these cards legal for Type 2 play?
A: No. These cards come from the "World Championship" decks that Wizards of the Coast releases after every World Championship event. (Once a year.) Cards with borders that aren’t black or white, or cards with irregular card backs are not allowed in tournaments of any sort.

Q: What is a "Rogue" deck?
A: A rogue deck is a deck that is not listed on the tier system, for example, a deck based on Yawgmoth's Will. A rogue deck often catches the metagame by surprise and can often win large tournaments simply by being rogue, as they are not listed on the tiers, so other decks are not prepared for them. Rogue decks have to be made perfectly and tested a lot, because a bad rogue deck will most likely lose to the best decks in the format. Whether a deck is rogue or not does not matter if it's not very good.

Q: What is a "netdeck"?
A: A "netdeck" is a deck that is taken right off of the internet. Many players heavily dislike this, because they like to be creative, but netdecking is, despite its bad press, a good way to get a grasp on the format and know which cards are good and which are not. Netdecking often helps new players more than making their own deck, even if making your own deck is more fun; it’s also quite an advantage for those who make rogue decks, since they can accurately predict a large portion of the field, and therefore make a deck that is even better against the metagame.

Q: What is this I hear about "aggro", "control" and "combo", and can I get a description of these concepts?
Aggro, or aggressive decks, like to play fast, with lots of cheap creatures to overwhelm an opponent before they get the chance to gain control of the game. Aggro needs plenty of utility cards to help them in the long run, though, because after turn 6 or 7, they don't have much pressure left on the opponent. Typical aggro cards are Tarmogoyf, Goldmeadow Stalwart and Mogg Fanatic.

Control decks like to play slow and not let their opponents make his or her own decisions by being able to counter their most dangerous spells and keep control of the board with cards like Wrath of God. Control has some problems with fast aggro decks though, because they often rely on countering spells and not on playing early blockers to sabotage the aggro decks.

Combo decks are decks that rely on a particular combination of cards that, when used together, handily win the combo player the game. A combo deck usually has cards that can tutor for the combo pieces they need to win. Most combo decks are rogue, and have great problems with control decks that run countermagic. On the other hand, they can trounce aggro decks, because aggressive decks usually have no way to stop the combo player from "going off" and winning the game with his combo.
VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.
Also note this in the contacts section:
My AIM is xMono789.
Royk's AIM is roykillany, though he isn't on there very often.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Also note this in the contacts section:
My AIM is xMono789.
Royk's AIM is roykillany, though he isn't on there very often.

Well you were not around when I posted this, was gonna ask if you wanted additional contact infromation.
The information from Advice for New Posters should probably be merged into the FAQ.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
The information from Advice for New Posters should probably be merged into the FAQ.

You say that like any of the information in this thread is accurate anymore. For example, this has obviously not been changed since Scars of Mirrodin came out.

As far as I know, Mono isn't even a VCL, and I think I've seen COP post like twice in the past 5 months.

What we need is to just have a new thread be made and sticky that one instead of this one.

There's a lot of things that need to be changed on this forum, anyway.

(at)MrEnglish22

You say that like any of the information in this thread is accurate anymore. For example, this has obviously not been changed since Scars of Mirrodin came out.

As far as I know, Mono isn't even a VCL, and I think I've seen COP post like twice in the past 5 months.

What we need is to just have a new thread be made and sticky that one instead of this one.

There's a lot of things that need to be changed on this forum, anyway.

I'm aware of that. The link is as much a reminder when that new FAQ is made as anything else, and in the meantime at least it is there for new posters to read.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I vote you delete this after copying the still-relevant parts, and make a new one.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl