12/15/2010 BoaB: "Sprouting Souls"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I'll be honest, this deck just seems amazing. I kinda want to go out and buy the cards for it just to have it. Both fun and competitive - the best kind of deck.
no love for Sarkhan the mad? he seems strong to me. (non budget version)

T1 play etb tapped land and chill

T2 nest invader

T3 thrinax (swing for 2)

T4 (swing for 5) cast StM (using spawn), turn nest invader into a dragon,

T5 turn thrinax into a dragon and cast torrent of souls (returning thrinax). Swing for 32

Just seems better than Sarkan Vol to me.  Although the stealing ability on Sarkhan Vol is always nice I guess.

Now obviously this is the nuts draw but the deck will always have some sort of token for StM to morph into a dragon token. Leaving two threats to deal with; Sarkhan and the 5/5 dragon, and the dragon makes it hard to swing at Sarkhan. I've been playing with two copies of StM in my Furnace celebration deck, and I'm always happy to draw one.

Another entertaining article.  Seems to have got the format right over the last few weeks (in my opinion) of:

deck
discuss the cards
match reports (although I'd love to see more of these)
non-budget version

Anyone know what the "Steel Artifact" deck list is/was?
Another entertaining article.  Seems to have got the format right over the last few weeks (in my opinion) of:

deck
discuss the cards
match reports (although I'd love to see more of these)
non-budget version

They did a Deck Tech of this at Worlds: www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

I like it.

@JvL: Like the Jund deck. Cascade is powerful. I wish WotC (and even Star City Games/TCGPlayer) would support Extended. I still miss my Lightning HelixCry

Edit: The list in the Deck Tech

Steel Artifact - Johnathan Smithers
4 Court Homunculus
2 Etched Champion
4 Master of Etherium
4 Memnite
2 Ornithopter
3 Ranger of Eos
4 Steel Overseer
4 Tidehollow Sculler
3 Mox Opal
3 Springleaf Drum
4 Tempered Steel
2 Thopter Foundry
4 Thoughtseize
4 Darkslick Shores
1 Fetid Heath
4 Marsh Flats
3 Plains
4 Seachrome Coast
1 Swamp

Sideboard:
2 Burrenton Forge-Tender
3 Celestial Purge
2 Disfigure
1 Duress
3 Ethersworn Canonist
3 Leonin Arbiter
1 Ranger of Eos

This is why I read the mothership from the bottom-up.  It's today's Daily Deck!

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Thanks guys
before the last standard rotation I was playing a red green aggro deck with four sarkhan vol and cards like kozilek's predator and siege-gang commander to abuse sarkhan's + ability. with sarkhan in the deck I don't think I ever lost a single game to the polymorph decks. good call JVL.
Great article.  He tested it against tier 1 decks in the meta, and played matches through to completion.  A relatively cheap deck, fast, aggressive, effective, and fun.  This is what all BoaB should be.
Jake--thanks for the shoutout!

Keep up the good work! 
game 2 of your first match you should maybe play thrinax first so that when he counters you get to pump your leech.
game 2 of your first match you should maybe play thrinax first so that when he counters you get to pump your leech.

Or pumped the leech to draw removal and tap him out thus allowing the thrinax to resolve. all options are viable. I think I would rather have a thrinax in play and a dead leech, than a leech in play and a countered thrinax. The leech can be killed later easily enough (smother/consume the meek, grasp of darkness etc) but a thrinax is harder to deal with. (as it leaves tokens behind)

It's likely they wouldn't kill the leach (because playing itno removal like that sygnals you have a blightning you want to resolve) and you wopuld get 2 extra points of damage in.

Not sure if any one else thought of this, but what about Mitotic Slime?  Seems like an obscenely good card for the deck (My fave card from M11 actually), albeit a bit higher on the CMC compared to other cards like dragon fodder, sprouting thrinax, putrid leech, etc.

Anyone got ideas on what would be a good idea to take out if someone (like me) wanted to incorporate three of these?