[M:EM] Magic: Expanded Multiverse Official Thread

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
A short time ago, this forum began to collect a number of individuals interested in creating fan works based around Magic's storyline--not just fanfiction, but fan planes, fan characters, fan civilizations... the works. In arrogant defiance of Sturgeon's Law these brave individuals actually turned out some interesting and original work.

And then people started borrowing things from one another.

And after a bit of this sort of activity it dawned on us... Hey, why not turn this into a real continuity?

That is the core of the Magic: Expanded Multiverse. It is an attempt to create a showcase for fan works while avoiding conflicts with the main storyline and with the works within the Expanded Multiverse itself. It is a place to share the random character ideas you come up with but don't feel like using. It's a place to look for other interesting characters to play around with, or exciting planes to explore. Even if you aren't a writer yourself, it's a good place to relax and enjoy some good stories about this infinite multiverse we love.

Because the multiverse is as vast as our imaginations can make it.

Basic Laws of the Expanded Multiverse:

1.      The Magic: Expanded Multiverse is built by fans, for fans. If you have something you want to share, there are two main ways to submit it:

There may be other ways to get in as well, so keep an eye on this forum!

2.      Respect Other Authors. This means two things:

• Everything belongs to someone--most people will have pet characters that they don't want to see murdered in off-screen backstory or something.

• This is a group project--if you have a pet plane or character don't cling to them with a death grip; let people play in your world.

When in doubt, talk to the other authors, respect people's wishes, and pay attention to the Use Symbols (as described below). Connected to this rule is:

3.      Don’t smash a plane every week. Keep referring to Rule 2 and remember that the nine Planeswalkers you just killed all had fans and dedicated creators. Your story doesn't have to turn into a slaughter to be good. Use caution.

4.      The Main Storyline Is, Typically, Off Limits. Cameos might be ok; having Jace fall in love with your character is not. There is wiggle room here, but when in doubt leave canon materials out. 

5.      Everything in the archives is considered canon unless directly contradicted by Wizards material.

6.      M:EM is for sharing. The Magic community is full of talented, creative people, and this is their place to shine. With that in mind, get out and promote the project! Tell other fans that are interested in art, writing, game design... tell anyone that can contribute. If there's a story you particularly like, share it on all the omnipresent Social Networking sites, share it on the forums, share it on the street corners and the whisky bars, scream it from the rooftops of London and... well, the point is, we're creating something for people to read and enjoy.

This is a whole multiverse ready for the taking. Get out there and have fun with it.

[spoiler The Archives and Use Symbols]
The archives are everything Project Magic creates, and the archivist is in charge of indexing and maintaining them.  The index of the archives is marked for your ease of understanding.  When you submit something to the project, you can determine a lot of the marks applied to the characters, planes, and other bits in the story that become part of Project Magic's Canon.

:chaos: means Open.  Marking something Open effectivley gives up ownership of it to the Council and the comminity at large.  Open things are things that are free for everyone to use.

means Public, the default mark.  Marking something Public means you want other people to use it and build on it, even in ways you might not have intended, but you'd like to retain some creative control over where it goes.

means Private.  Marking something Private means you consider it entirley yours, and want the last word on its inclusion in other works, or interactions with it: you retain almost total creative control over Private things.  Because you can already veto big changes to Public things, though, remember that you don't have to mark a character as Private just to keep them from being killed off by someone else.

means Active.  This thing is being worked on, right now, and isn't going to stay in its current form.

means Contested Canon.  This thing steps on other things toes or has had its toes stepped on, or has been made problematic by Wizards.  It needs to be considered and might be deleted, changed, or kept as is.

means Dead.  This thing no longer exists in the present, though it existed in the past.  You might be able to resurrect it somehow, but that would be a Major Change, which the council if it's Open or the Author if it's Public or Private and not yours might not like.

means, roughtly, Planeswalker.  This character can travel the planes.  Occassionally, this might be used for other things that can travel the planes.

means this has been archived, but not voted on yet (and it needs to be voted on).  It isn't canon until the council votes, even if it's in the Archives.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler The Council's Duties (A Demystifier)]
There is a Council of at least 5 people, who vote on additions to Project Magic and its internal affairs.  Among them there is a Council Leader, an Archivist, and a Speaker.

The Council Leader leads the council, and is responsible for filling the first council and refilling the Council if it ever falls below 5 people.  The Council Leader is also responsible for starting the vote against council members who abuse their power or break the rules.  The first Council member is Keeper, and if ever he steps down or goes inactive, the Council elects a new Council Leader

The Archivist is responsible for maintaining the Archive thread, where we keep Project Magic and index it to be easily searchable.  Since this is a big task and hell to redo, the Archivist can't just step aside.  if the Archivist is ever removed from office, the Council elects a new archivist from its own members.  If no one is willing to be Archivist, it falls to the Council Leader to find an Archivist.

The Speaker's job is keeping the Council orderly: he or she decides what's being voted on, when votes end, and is responsible for counting the votes and declaring results.

Once it's at its minimum number, the Council votes on adding new members: both yes and no votes have to be very confident and no votes have to give reasons.

The Council votes on all additions to Project Magic's archives.  They can vote to accept something, reject it with reasons, or accept it only if certain changes are made.

Characters, planes, and other things introduced in an accepted story don't have to be voted on independantly.

You can also ask the Council to allow you to make major changes to a plane, character, or whatnot that's normally Open for use to every contributor of the Project.  While getting your proposal approved doesn't mean your work (and thus the changes) will ultimatley be accepted, it might tell you if they;re goign to be rejected off hand before you put the time and effort into writing!  it also basically 'checks out' the plane or character to you, warning other writers that something big is going down.[/spoiler]

[spoiler The Current Council]
Lead--KeeperofManyNames
Speaker--Skibo, Lord of Tallies
Guru(s)--DavFlamerock
                Yxoque
Archivist--Arbitracious
Jedi123
Thrull Champion
Tevish Szat (official unofficial rules lead)
Yanmato
VorthosianLoreWeaver

Barinellos is The Neguru. From his dark temple in the center of the earth's core he sends his fiery Continuity Hounds out to worry our flanks. He is not a voting member.[/spoiler]

The main bulk of the project can be found in this group. This is an open group, and although the Council holds most of its discussions there, anyone is willing to stop by and share their opinion on whatever we're deciding. Additionally, there are sometimes group projects floating about over there that anyone can contribute to, so don't be afraid to stop by and say hello! If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail us at expandedmultiverse@gmail.com
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Note to council members: Most council business should be done on the subforum. No need to clutter up the main page, or this thread, with posts that only we need to see.

For people new to the M:EM: Feel free to ask any questions at all here. Someone will always be watching for interest in the project. You can also reach us by posting in the subforum, or emailing expandedmultiverse@gmail.com

Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Reserved.
i like it, this looks rather clean and nice, i approve
w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]
This thread would also be nice place to put a link to the subforum in question. In case anyone needs it before Keeper decides to make a fancier one on a reserved post, here's one.

community.wizards.com/expandedmultiverse

If you ask a question here and no one replies in, say, 24 hours, you could try over there for better results.
Or message a council member if it's really important. You could do that.
"The truth resists simplicity."
Some memorable quotes
57461258 wrote:
I know, as a good liberal scholar, that I'm supposed to respect every other belief and culture and what have you that comes along but... at the end of the day, when all is said and done, some things are just plain wrong.
92481331 wrote:
Venser "Ah, Hello Myr. This is the King. Long Time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling. The Myr Battlesphere. The Myr. Where the first rolls and the second follows. Roll, roll, roll. For that purpose we went to the bother, the bother of fixing up Mirrodin. The King of the Multiverse going to the bother just for rolling a Myr Battlephere, just for that, we went to the bother."
92126575 wrote:
Heard a joke once: Mare goes to doctor. Says she's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says she feels all alone in a threatening world where even ponies you thought were your friends can't be trusted. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Go to one of Pinkie Pie's great parties tonight. Party hard. That should pick you up." Mare bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Pinkie Pie." Good joke. Everypony laughs. Roll on snare drum. Curtains. Fade to black.
69511863 wrote:
Sure, "the average person" might go see Transformers 3 if s/he wants a good story, but that doesn't stop people from making decent movies. Hell, they even managed to make Batman into a respectable movie. "The average" person might like American Idol or Jersey Shore, but people still made The Wire.
57722938 wrote:
I think the people who would sit down and listen to a minstrel reciting Homer, or thought that novels were art, or read poetry were always a minority. It's a common viewpoint that art was better in the past because everyone's forgotten the bad stuff, while we haven't had time to forget the awful stuff that is current.
56738148 wrote:
For almost all Magic fans, the "story" of Ravnica, for example, is that it's a city world with ten guilds -- yes, for most, that's a "story." All but a tiny fraction of the fan base are entirely unaware of an elaborate plot perpetrated by Augustin IV to trick Agrus Kos and Szadek into breaking the Guildpact, thereby enabling the Azorius to take control. Likewise, the vast majority of Magic players don't know who Harbin is, or Nivea, or Al-Hayat, or Feather, or Jared Carthalion, or Rebbec, or Zagorka ... the list goes on and on.
57916198 wrote:
I'm pulling this out of nowhere and it has nothing like fact attached to it, but it cannot be disproven without breaking the fourth wall, and this is going to be my headcanon because it makes perfect sense. I posit [Tamiyo, the Moon Sage] writes the Planeswalker's Guides to planes.
And one more thing...
CANON is the collected events and details of a fictional work that come directly from its author or someone with equal authority to the author. CANNON is a weapon that fires metal balls at a target, usually a structure or a crowd of enemy combatants. Every time you confuse the two, I'm forced to break one of my own fingers.
Also note that ANYONE is welcome to contribute to the discussions in the group, whether they are part of the council or not. This is an open project, and we want to hear from everyone that has a good idea. Don't be intimidated by the fact that we have a council, in other words.

(The opening post has been modified to reflect that fact...)
This is an interesting project.  I have a couple questions:

First,  and most importantly: Where are these archives posted?  I'm not really familiar with the Community groups, and I'm not sure if there's already a section there that I can just look at and say "Okay, here are all of the fan-made ideas, and their archive status."

Second, I know people were talking about writing up a compilation story of Guildwars III, which I am looking forward to.  I was curious, though, if anyone had planned to do something similar for Eldrazi Awaken.  If not, I may like to try that, since I had one of the central characters in the story. 
Susan Summerson from the Hell breaks loose Flavorful Voting Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29076567/Hell_breaking_loose:_an_Avacyn_Restored_voting_game?pg=1 Click here for more Forum Games:
Show
Susan Summerson also appeared in the Innistrad Mafia Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28609371/Innistrad_Mafia?pg=1 Writer of Nally Bear from The Gathering Flavorful Voting Game: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28846821/The_Gathering:_M12_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Writer of Phyrex the Myr from Phyrexia Reborn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27993097/Phyrexia_Reborn:_A_Flavorful_Voting_Game?pg=1 Writer of Tinker the Myr from Legacy of Karn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26647005/Karns_Legacy_(A_flavorful_voting_game) Writer of Crusader Tolkana, who has appeared in: Eldrazi Awaken: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/24071149/Eldrazi_Awaken:_A_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Colors of Magic: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/25352501/Colors_of_Magic:_a_flavor_game?pg=1 Guildwars III: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26082093/Guildwars_III:_Shattered_Pact_(A_flavorful_voting_game)?pg=1 Writer of Isaic from Treasures of Zendikar http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/22819881/Treasures_of_Zendikar?post_id=402182877#402182877
That might be a good idea, isaic. VLW has been talking about an Expanded Omniverse thing that would include alternate storylines like our Eldrazi and GW games, so that might be a good idea.

We're currently still working on setting the archive up, honestly. Look for an archive thread to appear in this forum in the next few weeks, containing links to the different stories, planeswalkers, and planes that are a part of the Multiverse. The links will probably direct to threads within the group that I linked to above, but right now the actual archive sections are completely empty.
Second, I know people were talking about writing up a compilation story of Guildwars III, which I am looking forward to.  I was curious, though, if anyone had planned to do something similar for Eldrazi Awaken.  If not, I may like to try that, since I had one of the central characters in the story. 

A "Guildwars novella" thread will be going up in a few weeks (likely after new years), on the group page. If you'd like to do a Eldrazi awakening one, that would be pretty sweet.
… and then, the squirrels came.
That might be a good idea, isaic. VLW has been talking about an Expanded Omniverse thing that would include alternate storylines like our Eldrazi and GW games, so that might be a good idea.

We're currently still working on setting the archive up, honestly. Look for an archive thread to appear in this forum in the next few weeks, containing links to the different stories, planeswalkers, and planes that are a part of the Multiverse. The links will probably direct to threads within the group that I linked to above, but right now the actual archive sections are completely empty.

A "Guildwars novella" thread will be going up in a few weeks (likely after new years), on the group page. If you'd like to do a Eldrazi awakening one, that would be pretty sweet.

Thanks for the updates.  I hope to be more involved in this community going forward, so I may try to put together a similar novella thread for 'Awaken.'  And let me know if there's anything I can do to help out with the compilation work.  It looks like there probably won't be many updates during the holidays, though.

Susan Summerson from the Hell breaks loose Flavorful Voting Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29076567/Hell_breaking_loose:_an_Avacyn_Restored_voting_game?pg=1 Click here for more Forum Games:
Show
Susan Summerson also appeared in the Innistrad Mafia Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28609371/Innistrad_Mafia?pg=1 Writer of Nally Bear from The Gathering Flavorful Voting Game: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28846821/The_Gathering:_M12_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Writer of Phyrex the Myr from Phyrexia Reborn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27993097/Phyrexia_Reborn:_A_Flavorful_Voting_Game?pg=1 Writer of Tinker the Myr from Legacy of Karn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26647005/Karns_Legacy_(A_flavorful_voting_game) Writer of Crusader Tolkana, who has appeared in: Eldrazi Awaken: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/24071149/Eldrazi_Awaken:_A_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Colors of Magic: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/25352501/Colors_of_Magic:_a_flavor_game?pg=1 Guildwars III: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26082093/Guildwars_III:_Shattered_Pact_(A_flavorful_voting_game)?pg=1 Writer of Isaic from Treasures of Zendikar http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/22819881/Treasures_of_Zendikar?post_id=402182877#402182877
Just reminding everyone that this is here. We have a few major projects coming up soon that will be posted in the main forum here. One, of course, is the Archive itself. We have quite a bit of new material that we've added to the Expanded Multiverse, and we're excited to start sharing it. Additionally, we will soon be running an art contest, a card design contest, and a short story contest across this and other forums, so keep an eye out for those.

Remember that you can always submit independent work for review, help us design new planes, and nominate yourself for a voting position on the Council.

This sounds pretty cool. I would definitly like to be a part of this. As far as magic goes, I have always leaned more toward flavor and storylines than to the card mechanics, though I do recognize the role that mechanics play in establishing flavor.

I have played Magic off and on for about five years so I am a little lost as to everything that has been happening, but this is something that could help me get current. I'd appreciate any advice or critisism on anything that I post. I am just glad I've found a place to share it.

This sounds pretty cool. I would definitly like to be a part of this. As far as magic goes, I have always leaned more toward flavor and storylines than to the card mechanics, though I do recognize the role that mechanics play in establishing flavor.

I have played Magic off and on for about five years so I am a little lost as to everything that has been happening, but this is something that could help me get current. I'd appreciate any advice or critisism on anything that I post. I am just glad I've found a place to share it.

THere is a link in my sig you can follow and join the group.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
I updated the first post with some minor edits. There are now links to the Voting Request Thread and to the WIP forum.

StrTower (and, for that matter, anyone else interested in this): Keep in mind that we're always looking for more council members. If you have the time and the desire to be heavily involved in the project, you might want to consider becoming a voting member.
Aaaand the Archive is up! I would be very curious to hear what everyone thinks about it, and about the works that we've included so far. It is clearly a work in progress, but it should be in a more filled out form soon.
I hope this thread becomes a sticky because it is a crucial link to past ideas.

I wouldn't expect every poster to be aware of all the serious fan creations made in the past, but for someone looking to create something it may be easier or more congruent to use the 'stub' of an abandoned idea and work with that rather than going entirely from scratch. This would help make the forum seem more cohesive too, like an open source development.

What I would not like to see (pardon my bluntness) is for the M:EM to be treated as though it were canon. Obviously people would take the featured works seriously, and they should because a lot of time and effort has gone into these, but it should be understood that not every new creator will be interested in or even capable of absorbing the entirety of M:EM before posting their ideas. Whats more is that I don't think they should be expected to either.

Somebody saying "you can't do this because NAME already covered it in his/her idea" would hurt this exercise I feel. In my mind, the M:EM should be more of an exploration of possiblities or even alternate histories than actual canon events. The actual events are what WoTC make. I'm not trying to trivialise M:EM, but to keep the focus on freedom and exploration.

There is already a peer review process to select the best examples of work to form part of a compact list for new people looking to read up on the best of what this forum has to offer. These selections should be respected and people looking to work within them should seek to collaborate with the original author or obtain their permission, or the permission of whoever is currently responsible for the idea.  It is obvious that continuity should be maintained among these works, and I like how you have The Neguru as an independent watchdog for that :D however continuity is not something to be expected from newer members, which is why I suggest the following...

In addition to peer-reviewed works, there could also be a separate "bits box" for any works to be included, regardless of their state of completion or polish. Something that people could rummage through at their leisure. Once an idea has been suggested by the author for inclusion in the bits box, it is basically abandoned by the author and free for anyone else to do with as they wish, though the author can still work on the idea if they want, and will be mentioned as the author in the description. By throwing an idea into the bits box, you are basically saying that you don't care who uses it or how it is used. You could, for example, write some fiction for a selected work (such as a featured worldbuilding project) and then abandon it to the bits box rather than try to push it for serious consideration. Someone else, like the author of the featured work in which your fiction is based, might take up this idea, change it or polish it, and suggest it for inclusion. The important thing is not to worry about continuity or originality, but to simply encourage random ideas. If 90% of everything is trash, then perhaps we need to start looking at our garbage in a different light? One man's trash is another man's treasure, after all.

What do you think KoMN?

I'm still new here so forgive my audacity these are just my opinions and suggestions. If there are any obvious things I have missed on account of being new I would like to be informed of them. For instance I only just got around to looking at the Tome of Flavour, which includes a fanfiction section.
I go now to finally read the Sertaria thread.
Well, there are two potential solutions that we've discussed for that problem. One is Unmutleyverse, which is sort of the psychotic, silly version of M:EM. The other is Magic: Expanded Omniverse (M:EO) which would encompass alternate realities.

The reason that I'm reluctant to launch those is because M:EM is still getting off the ground. If I felt like it was going strong, and we were getting a significant cross-forum involvement and getting known outside of the Flavor and Storyline community, yeah, I would say that's reasonable. But right now I really want us to focus on spreading word of the basic project.

The other reason is that I just don't agree with some of your assumptions. For one thing, I think it's a good thing that people have to go into this with a background of knowledge. It means that newcomers are going to be reading our history... but they're also going to be reading a LOT more of Magic's backstory, which ultimately is something I think all of us agree more people should do. And furthermore, I happen to agree very strongly with MaRo's mantra that restrictions generate creativity. If there's a limit to what kinds of stories you can tell, you're going to have to pay more attention to where the limits lie and how effectively your stories fall into those limits.

That said, I do like your bit box idea... but I think we have a bit box. It's the Work In Progress section of the group page. Several of us have already used it that way, dumping ideas in there, seeing if they turned into anything, and ultimately abandoned them as not worthwhile. Abatoria is a good example of that: Szat created a plane that he didn't really like, I expanded on it in ways that ultimately I felt didn't work, and we both shrugged our shoulders and moved on. Anyone can bring that back as something worthwhile. Remember that you can toss anything up in the Work in Progress section, regardless of how finished it is, and even regardless whether or not you plan to submit it.

So, in summary, I think that some of your concerns are reasonable, but I think keeping the restrictions we've put on things makes the whole project more interesting and ultimately will make it more successful as a venture. How does that sound?
Ok cool that answers most of my questions. Other than the bits box being a more 'sortable' version of the forum page, basically everything I suggested is already being done in one way or another.

I guess this is the first forum I have ever been seriously interested in, so I tend to be a bit shy when it comes to 'barriers of entry' if you know what I mean? The idea behind the bits box is to basically encourage ideas regardless of experience or overall knowlege of canon. As you said, people are doing that anyway, so my idea would only formalise what already exists. I totally agree that being well-versed in lore -both canon and non-canon- is something that should be actively encouraged and promoted, but I just worry that if it becomes enforced then it may scare off potential contributors.

I feel that being informed requires patience, which is a skill that some people have in droves, and some people do not have much of at all. Some people (myself included) just want to make things up, and aren't so concerned with what has come before. This isn't out of disrespect, but rather just too much enthusiasm and not enough patience. I am forcing myself to go through and read alot of the history bit by bit, and it is certainly good to know, but it is also painstaking, and I often feel as though I am wasting my time when I could be working on ideas. I have a hunch I am not the only person who is of this temperament. People like me benefit from peer review by the more informed in terms of continuity and such. That way, we don't have to resort to doing something we don't want to do, while the more informed get to do something they would want to do (I think), which is inform other people. However if there is an attitude of rejecting these less informed people and their ideas or forcing them to do what they don't want to do, then they will likely go elsewhere, and the vibrancy of the forums may suffer. 

Wow I just realised how arrogant this makes me sound! uhh sorry about that? >_< I hope it doesn't also sound like a huge /nitpick to you. Just disregard the whole thing if you want LOL maybe its just my anti-authoritarianism speaking??

Everyone I have met here so far has been decent and honest, even friendly  I have had no experience yet of anything I have mentioned above it is merely a worry of mine having tried a bunch of other forums in the past and left because of the barriers to entry

Lastly, are the Expanded Multiverse and Tome of Flavour the same thing?

thx

EDIT: I didn't even mention the idea of forum clogging, and how I am sympathic to people who don't want that (ie lots of less serious ideas drowning out the more serious ones). The solution to that would be to have different forums for each, but that is all pipeline stuff, and there aren't really enough contributors yet to warrant the need for that.
The Tome actually predates M:EM and can be seen as a failed prototype of what we're trying to do with the new Archives. Most of the info from the Tome is eventually going to be moved into the archives. We've already taken the best of the non-canon-breaking fanfiction stories and incorporated them into the tome... although a lot of them are waiting to be gathered into (pdf) book collection form.

One of the things I like about how we've organized things is that if you want, when you become a bit more experienced, you can join the Council and start moving the project more in the direction of greater freedom. A lot of us have a particular perception of how everything should work, and we've had some pretty fierce battles over what to accept and what to stay away from.

I think you have a good point, though, and I think we need to make sure that we're encouraging people to come up with new ideas, even if they don't know the massive backstory. I think we're doing a decent job of that so far, besides occasionally saying "hey, be careful that your world isn't getting too similar to x plane or y civilization". So, I think that helps to lower the barriers to entry (good way of putting it, incidentally) pretty significantly.

I do want to keep looking at this as an expanded, coherent canon, but do you have any ideas for how we can work within that constraint to lower barriers to entry? You're newer, so you probably have a better picture of what barriers there are, so I would be curious to hear your take on things.
I do want to keep looking at this as an expanded, coherent canon, but do you have any ideas for how we can work within that constraint to lower barriers to entry? You're newer, so you probably have a better picture of what barriers there are, so I would be curious to hear your take on things.

I started writing a longwinded reply but I felt it was too nitpicky for something that isn't really a problem at this point. I saved it on my computer though so I might bring it up with you in a message or something at a later date.

I share the belief that restrictions can breed creativity. In fact one of the things I noticed since arriving here is that the Savour the Flavour and Making Magic articles (and the others) seem to have set most of the unspoken creative agenda for this forum via memetics, which is pretty sweet if you ask me -proof that most people are eager to work within boundaries as long as they trust the people who set them. 

I tend to talk in visionary terms ("wouldn't it be awesome if X was a reality?"), and leave most of the practical implementation to those more skilled at it. One of those visions was the bits box. Basically, it is formal, unadulterated promotion of bad ideas and amateurism, with the aim of producing lots of interesting trash for other people to rummage through. Coupled with M:EM I feel the two could compliment each other nicely.

Forums (and the internet) tend to be open places in general, so it always seems a little wierd discussing things like having a formal and promoted discard pile when people borrow each other's ideas anyway. As we both agree, however, restrictions can be fun! Like playing around in sandboxes.

I am not aware of the kinds of groups available to join, but is there a group just for this Flavour and Storylines forum? Also are you able to send out bulk emails to all members of a group? I know there is an activity tracker but a semi-regular email 'update' or even brief newsletter seems like a great way to keep people not just informed, but linked-in to the community. Pipeline stuff though.

Thanks for taking the time to hear me out bro. Lastly I just wanna say thanks to you and others for working on building the flavour forum so far. I tend to drop out of forums pretty quickly and I doubt I would have hung around here for very long if it wasn't for you guys and for some of the really cool ideas being cooked up here

...aaaand that ended up being a long post anyway >_<

Clearly I have been online for too long. Your avatar is starting to expand and contract as though it were an optical illusion :S

If you build it, they will come.

Shi-kakakakaka..... *wavy hand movements*

*dissapears into the fog*
Sign In to post comments