New company with SWM license?

The excerpt below was taken from the Planet Mongoose website.  You can find the post (dated 11/12/10--it's European, so that means December 11, 2010, for those who aren't familiar) here:

blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/

This appears to be the most solid evidence we have that the license has been picked up.  Now, I'm not trying to start any internet rumors, but this may be our first hint of things to come.

In other A Call to Arms news, I can now report that we did not manage to grab the licence we were chasing for the game - Star Wars. We weren't really expecting this one to happen (we made a sideways reference to it in the State of the Mongoose), but we got much further along than we thought we would.

The interesting thing is why our negotiations ended - another company beat us to it. We are not going to reveal who this is (you have heard of them), as that is their fanfare to blow. However, I am sure many will find it intriguing that the licence covers card games, RPGs, and... miniatures. Now, the company concerned is not known for its miniatures lines, which will probably put paid to my dream of 28mm multipart/multipose Stormtroopers.

IMAGE(http://home.comcast.net/~jps201/mst3k_files/ms_seats.gif) "An opinion is not a right to be express whenever it is false/incorrect/a lie." -LOL
Did the company Wizkids fold? I noticed no one mentioned them, though they would be a logical possibility based on the information (and the fact that they had the SW pocketmodel game already).
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.
I've seen some conjecture that it's FFG.  Which might be cool for us, IG-58, considering our geographical locations.
IMAGE(http://home.comcast.net/~jps201/mst3k_files/ms_seats.gif) "An opinion is not a right to be express whenever it is false/incorrect/a lie." -LOL
Why? What does FFG (Far Future Games?) have to do with us in Minnesota?
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.
Fantasy Flight Games??
Why? What does FFG (Far Future Games?) have to do with us in Minnesota?

Fantasy Flight Games is headquartered in Roseville.
Did the company Wizkids fold? I noticed no one mentioned them, though they would be a logical possibility based on the information (and the fact that they had the SW pocketmodel game already).

Closed by Topps, purchased and reopened by NECA. Unless the author of the blog is being sarcastic, miniatures games is pretty much all WizKids is known for, so they're not who he's referring to.
Vaughn: Fantasy Flight Games. Okay, cool! Karie says that's just North of St. Paul.
eMouse: I always personally considered those pocketmodel games to be a sort of variant on the CCG concept, but I suppose it's entirely subject to interpretation. I'd still be inclined to consider Wizkids (or whatever they are now) to be a possibility, though.
EDIT: I have to say though, no way am I in for another RPG game edition, and even a minis line is dicey at best. The only way I'd do it was if, as someone suggested, they turned out to be 28mm multipose figures (along the lines of GW's gorgeous LotR line), and preferably in styrene plastic rather than metal.
"Every time I think I'm out..."!!! Laughing

Just kidding. I will want them, but I will resist them.

I will.

Really. 

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

Nice find DV.

Fantasy Flight Games is a great company!  They have won numerous awards and put out a lot of great board games.  If they have the license that would be great news, especially from an RPG perspective.

Laughing
Photobucket
Nice find DV.

Fantasy Flight Games is a great company!  They have won numerous awards and put out a lot of great board games.  If they have the license that would be great news, especially from an RPG perspective.

Laughing

If you scroll to the bottom of their website, there is a link to some info on their event center.  It's a little over an hour from where I live.  Might be fun to visit.  Of course, I don't know that they have the license, but it's fun to speculate about.
Of course, I don't know that they have the license, but it's fun to speculate about.

The rumors are all over the internet.  It's almost like the cat is out of the bag.  Usually when so many people on so many sites are are all saying the same thing something is up.  If the speculation were inconsistant then I would be hesitant to believe it.  That's not the case with FFG.  I think somebody at FFG spilled the beans to a few friends and now it's spreading.

Laughing

Photobucket
Of course, I don't know that they have the license, but it's fun to speculate about.

The rumors are all over the internet.  It's almost like the cat is out of the bag.  Usually when so many people on so many sites are are all saying the same thing something is up.  If the speculation were inconsistant then I would be hesitant to believe it.  That's not the case with FFG.  I think somebody at FFG spilled the beans to a few friends and now it's spreading.

Laughing

From what I'm reading, FFG is the guess based on what Mongoose published.  Paizo has apparently denied having the license.  It certainly doesn't seem to be a Russian company that others mentioned previously.  That was discussed a little on another forum.
well here's hopin to official news on the subject soon.
Dimetrodon
I would like to see a company put out more minis.  As a collector, new characters and sculpts are always welcome.  Not as excited if it would be unpainted metal pieces.  A slightly bigger scale might still be OK for some to be compatible with what we have.  Depending on the game play, not sure if I want to learn a new set of rules and everything.  Might just adapt pieces to the current rules set.  Interested to see what happens in the next year or so.

Good news to be sure.  Thanks for sharing the link, DV.  What's the Internet for if not spoiling news like this?
ive always hoped that FFG would make a starcraft miniatures game. well atleast they got the star part right.
@All --- SPECULATION ---

While it might be good news that FFG has possibly picked up the license (and dare I say, the quality of merchandising... Tongue out)
there is a downside.

Tannhauser, a boardgame produced by FFG, retails for about $90USD or so, and comes with 8 figures.
FFG's W40K Horrus Heresy game is about the same cost, and similar amount of figures...

Im thinking that FFG intends to make the same thing here with the Lucasfilm license....
I can only hope the keep the base sizes the same, and hope they make a multipart 28mm range...
Ultimately, it would be great if FFG made such a line in the pathfinding system (color-coded squares which show line of sight/cover on the board)

Heres hoping we all get new SWMs in the new year,
Kobayashimaru

EDIT: Heres a link to some AUSSIES who are trying to take on the big boys, namely GW...
www.warandpeacegames.com.au/shop/product...
give them a squiz, its comparable to what FFG might produce...

EDIT2: Thanks for the heads up Laughing To clarify, I meant that warandpeace was a retail outlet comparable to the other big brands of hobby shops in AUS... thanks for clearing up the source of the figures though. Laughing
I hope they continue the swm as it was
A little more coverage on the topic:

www.sterlinghershey.com/blog/2010/12/15/...
I was just comming to post this but some one beat me here.

I kind of hope it is NOT FFG, unless they have learned from past mistakes.
The whole Mutant Chronicles debacle, the expansive Arkham Minis and Tanhuser, just not seeing bright things if FFG does it.

kobayashimaru the link you go to is not from an Aussie minis company the makers of those Shoctroopers are bassed in the US, in Mass (about 45 min from where I live in fact).   The company you linked to sells the WarGames Factory stuff, But WarGames Factory is a US company.  The orcs they are releasing soon are due in to make some Vong troopers and Weequay, and I have used many of the Germans to make Jedi already.  They are a decent company.
Some RPG and mini http://members.cox.net/ghenghis_ska/Index.shtml
I was just comming to post this but some one beat me here.

I kind of hope it is NOT FFG, unless they have learned from past mistakes.
The whole Mutant Chronicles debacle, the expansive Arkham Minis and Tanhuser, just not seeing bright things if FFG does it.

I also hope it is not FFG and part of me hopes it is GW as they know how to make mini models, yes I want those multi part/pose minis. FFG have to much on their plate already and are a jack of all trades & master of none i.e. they have to many plates spinning to give the care SW deserves. Another good alternative would be Mantic as they also know how to produce good quality plastic box sets. The only probem is while these to know how to make great plastic kits they may not be so hot at creating a SW minis game but it would be a neat trick if whoever got the license could get either of these two to produce the models. I guess we just need to play the waiting game now. I like the idea of a minis/RPG crossover game. Looking at Earth Reborn lately I can't help but think this rule set could be adjusted nicely to fit with a SW minis/RPG crossover game. The mechanic of Vader torturing a Rebel to gain information to complete an objective is just to inticing. Check out the link below to see the ER rule set to see what I mean.

earthreborn.ludically.com/downloads

The post on Mongoose appears to rule GW out.  Paizo, Mongoose, and Margeret Weiss have all denied having it so far.

Edit:  Add SJG to the list of deniers, too.

forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=7553...
Green Ronin has denied it, too.

freeport-pirate.livejournal.com/136575.h...
FFG response to inquiry through email is "no comment".
FFG response to inquiry through email is "no comment".

That comment speaks volumes.  All the other gaming companies that could afford the license are denying it, while FFG is saying "no comment".  It's possible one of the other companies is lying, but not likely.

I'm curious to see if they will actually create another Star Wars Miniature game or will they simply use the license to make miniatures as a supplement for a Star Wars RPG.  I will definitely give whatever Star Wars product they produce a fair chance.  If they do make a new miniature game, it begs the question how many would focus on playing the new game and focus less on playing the WotC version?  The honest answer probably lies in how good the new version might be.  Squid mentioned the possibility of converting any new FFG pieces to the WotC rules, but we could also convert WotC pieces to the FFG rule system.  Just a thought.  No matter what, I think a fresh start is needed.  New faces, fresh ideas, and a new found interest will be good for the game.

Smile

Photobucket
It all depends on how compatable the minis are for this game. The game has to be pretty amazing to get a mass conversion, and I don't exactly expect anyone to be able to do it. If the minis are completely uncompatable with this game (ie 2 inch bases), then it will likely be the TCG all over again. There is still a significant amount of people interested in this game, so they either have to pay attention to that, or follow WOTC's failure.
Yes, I get this feeling a lot of folks reading these posts are thinking, "Hallelujah! We can just pick up where we left off!!" But it isn't going to be that way. Instead of a set with Clone Wars season 2 & 3 figures with 1" round black bases and cards that match what we already have hundreds of, we'll get Luke, Vader, Chewbacca, stormtroopers, battle droids and everything else we have a bazillion of - and with a rules-set that is completely new, and probably a new appearance & mounting protocol. After the hundreds, or thousands, you've spent on the game, will you all really just throw 'em in a big box and start all over? I mean, really??!
Not me. There's only two solutions for me:
1. WotC resurrects the license.
2. Someone makes styrene multi-pose figures; and that's only interesting from a modelling standpoint. Gaming? Bah. I have more now than anyone else will make.
I wonder if they'll do anything with the starships, and space combat. I could maybe get behind that...

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

either way im just hoping somebody does something. the miniature gaming industry doesnt seem to offer very much right now. unless im missing something, but there doesnt seem to be any companies releasing any miniature games. i mean come on now is the time to do it. there is no competition.
I wonder if they'll do anything with the starships, and space combat. I could maybe get behind that...

True, IJT. SSB was a relatively small investment and few folks liked how it turned out anyway, so I could deal with a reboot of THAT.
... Instead of a set with Clone Wars season 2 & 3 figures with 1" round black bases and cards that match what we already have hundreds of, we'll get Luke, Vader, Chewbacca, stormtroopers, battle droids and everything else we have a bazillion of ....

Maybe I'm just being hopeful, but I could see a new company going with Clone Wars first, including some of the unique guys in the show that never became minis.  It's what is selling right now (especially in the action figure line) - with the TV show and it is the last movie released.  Some kids (under age 17) don't even know who Luke and Han are.  The gaming would most likely appeal to the older crowd that has the income for a collectible game, but the young blood is stock for the future of a new game.  You're probably right overall, but sometimes I like to be the optimist

I'm in the same boat of looking for something worth collecting and I'll play only if the rule set is REALLY good or different, but not optimistic about that aspect right now.  Not interested in a card game at all.  Some board games with figures might be tempting.
Same size/scale = lots of my money

Different size/scale = none of my money

Cool rules is a plus, but I like the current rules - I can make my own cards easily, what I want is new minis.  I can live with some percenatge of inevitable repeats/duplications, but not a different size/scale.
Photobucket

I've been watching the discussion of this on RPG Geek.

It seems the only big company (not that you can really call many RPG companies 'big') left to not comment is FFG.  Although others could be lying.

Personally I'd love the Star Wars licence to go to Cubicle 7, although I'd worry about release schedules if it did.  Not sure if they are big enough, although they have the Doctor Who and Lord of the Rings licence.  But they are linked to Mongoose who would have surely already known if Cubicle 7 were going for the licence.

As for FFG.  Actually I would like to see some Star Wars RPG books with the quality of the Warhammer 40K line.  Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader and Deathwatch are fantastic books.  And although FFG make miniatures they are not 'known' for miniatures, which is what Mongoose hinted at.

Dojimaster's hit it right on the head, though. That's right where I'M at.
Unless, perhaps, for some mutant reason they made the next set like 1/144 scale, in which case they'd have me! 'Course, they'd lose about everyone else 'cos only I'm that freaky. Star Wars: the Wargame. Boo-yah.

As a total - largely unrelated - side note, but just for your entertainment, I found on my modelling forums a thread about a new Star TREK tabletop boardgame from Wizkids. Check it out!
trekmovie.com/2011/01/05/first-look-at-s...
I'd also only be interested in THAT if Wizkids made multiple, additional figures and sold them separately. And I know it's TREK (Gag! Heave!) but I think it's an interesting little snippet.
It seems the only big company (not that you can really call many RPG companies 'big') left to not comment is FFG.

FFG has commented. Their comment was: "No comment." ;)

See here.

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

Would you like to help build the D&D 5e forum community?
You can start by introducing yourself here.
It seems the only big company (not that you can really call many RPG companies 'big') left to not comment is FFG.

FFG has commented. Their comment was: "No comment." ;)

See here.

Yes, I know.  But "No comment" is no comment.

Either;

a) They have the licence but don't want to say anything yet.

b) The tea lady answered the phone didn't know anything non-tea related 

re: the new Star Trek game.  I saw that on Boardgamegeek the other day.  I will be buying that.  But a proper Star Trek minis game is well overdue.
Ummm this whole "who has the license" thing has me intrigued. Does anyone have a master list of the companies that have outright denied obtaining it. It would be interesting to work out who is left. Does anyone know if Mantic Games have denied it?

The thought of GW getting it is just too exciting. If anyone could make awesome plastic kits of SW miniatures it would be them, especially with their new plastic ranges which have amazing detail. Bring on the Stormtroopers multipose plastic box set.
That seems to be the #1 "wannit" for a new range, Chim. Pretty much the only solution that would guarantee ME being onboard!!
BUT, there's that pesky declaration that The Winnah "is not known for their miniatures;" and GW is virtually synonymous with minis. So that particular dream just ain't looking good.
That seems to be the #1 "wannit" for a new range, Chim. Pretty much the only solution that would guarantee ME being onboard!!
BUT, there's that pesky declaration that The Winnah "is not known for their miniatures;" and GW is virtually synonymous with minis. So that particular dream just ain't looking good.

Well I suppose we can indulge ourselves until we find out otherwise. The link you provided does point the finger at GW though and got me all excited LOL.

I would be quite happy if a rule set like Earth Reborn (see boardgamegeek) came out although less minins would be involved. It would provide scope for a lot of interaction and abilities.

Good the suspense is killing me. Whoever has it better come clean soon Laughing

Anyone out there with that master list of denials?
There should be a master list on either the ENWorld thread or the RPG.net thread. I can't remember. Off the top of my head, though, FFG is pretty much the only contender that hasn't come out and said "No". But, of course, I don't think anyone has actually asked WotC ... but then, they're certainly known for their minis as well, so it's almost certainly not them. I don't know that anyone asked GW either.

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

Would you like to help build the D&D 5e forum community?
You can start by introducing yourself here.
LET'S indulge ourselves, then, with a sorta cross-section of LotR and Warhammer as Star Wars.
Imagine: boxed (styrene) sets of...

Imperial Stormtroopers
Heroes: A New Hope
AAT and crew
Battle Droid platoon
Sandpeople tribe
Rebel marines section
Sith Command w/ guards
Republic fighter tank & crew

It'd be... awesome.
I've been keeping tabs on the RPG.net thread and adding the denials I see there to this thread.