12/14/2010 SF: "The Myr of (Dark)Steel"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I'm being a little nitpicky, but you will almost never be dismantling your own artifacts in a darksteel reactor deck, because 99% of the time you're going to be pointing your dismantles at the reactor itself. The reactor won't be destroyed (because it's indestructable) but you can still make counters via the dismantle's second ability. In this deck, dismantle basically reads "Double the number of counters on target darksteel reactor".
Anyone else notice how the decklist for the Darksteel Reactor deck doesn't actually contain Darksteel Reactor?
Anyone else notice how the decklist for the Darksteel Reactor deck doesn't actually contain Darksteel Reactor?

Yes, I noticed I think the Darksteel Forge in the decklist should have actually been a Darksteel Reactor
I thought for certain I was going to read an article with some mention of Phylactery Lich. It's not a fault of Adam's; I was just surprised not to see and indestructable creature that loves darksteel items.
The Darksteel Forge/Reactor issue was changed but you guys caught what it should have been anyway. Thanks!

The reason I don't talk about Dismantling the Reactor itself is that from back in the day it was a fluury of Arcbound critters who would continue to die, piling the counters up and one would Dismantle that onto the Reactor. Doubling the counters on the Reactor is nice but if you've just brought it out it's going to take some time to charge. Dismantle is just a jump start through another artifact.

Of course, my experience wasn't made very clear. Sorry the back story didn't filter through.

I thought for certain I was going to read an article with some mention of Phylactery Lich. It's not a fault of Adam's; I was just surprised not to see and indestructable creature that loves darksteel items.

Yeah. There was no way I was going to come close to Doug Beyer's article about the Lich: www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

"What Up, Liches" is pretty tough to consider not the most awesome thing ever. And he even mentions darksteel in there. I was already rehashing some ideas (there are only 13 cards with "Darksteel" in the name) so I skipped doing it wrong to something done right the first time.

In hindsight, mentioning this fact would have been better. But now you know! 
Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs