Master of The Radiant Way- Elf Cleric of Pelor|Centered Breath Monk Radiant Fist

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been meaning to do a cleric|monk hybrid for a while.  A Leader/Striker with a lot of control built in.  This is a good fifth man who can heal/grant saves, deal good multitarget damage, and impose status conditions and forced movement, all while being mobile and fairly tough to take out.

Pros: Radiant damage and vulnerability in paragon and plenty of dazed/stunned/blinded starting from level 1 with many party friendly burst/blast attacks and a little bit of sliding/pushing too.  Clerics have a lot of close burst/blast implement powers and this lets them get right up close and use them with less worry about getting beat down as much.  For clerics you get to use a weapliment with no problem and a dagger works fine, with a mace in your other hand.  If you switch out brand of the sun with sacred flame you no longer need a weapliment and can use an accurate holy symbol instead, but I used an accurate jagged dagger for this build to increase the crit chance for monk/radiant fist powers since they blind on a crit starting at level 16.

He is fine in heroic, but at level 11 he really takes off and is creating radiant vulnerabilty every encounter when he uses the radiant fist encounter power and when he uses his channel divinity power Solar Enemy.  And action points cause his attacks to do extra radiant damage keyed to wisdom, while in epic they recharge both a monk and cleric encounter power.  At level 16 his flurry of blows becomes radiant as well and I gave him a symbol of divine light as well to increase the vulnerability to 10 in late paragon.  He can also heal a lot more starting in paragon.

He has a good amount of self preservation through his monk utilities.  For monks this is a good excuse to pump wisdom for powers like Iron Dragon Defense and Harmonious Disciple.  Also, monks usually have minor actions free for sustaining cleric dailies and healing words. You can use five storms movement the same round with cleric powers.

Cons:  Less damage/mobility than a straight monk and some powers do not even do damage (but do stun or daze multiple enemies) and less healing than a pure cleric. 

Harbinger of doom is because it adds in stunning/sliding when an enemy misses you with a 1 while still letting you reroll 1s, which fits in with the control theme.  Avatar of Freedom would also work, but requires you take that an additional feat and only works in Eberron with Path of Light, while this works with any sun domain deity.  Demigod would be fine as well.  Deadly Draw would be a good addition as would mark of passage, but I not sure what I would get rid of.  Ranger MC is for extra damage and stealth skill and you could put a lot of others there instead.  Equipment and numbers should be ok, but I used the old builder and then manually added some stuff in.

Edit: possible alternative weapon setup to boost AC is to use an accurate staff and hafted defense, but that loses out on starblade flurry and off hand weapon of healing.  I updated him post heroes of shadow to add in holy symbol expertise, death's shadow for an at will, and gave him a singing stick

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Stunning Radiance, level 30
Elf, Cleric|Monk, Radiant Fist, Harbinger of Doom
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid): Centered Breath (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk: Hybrid Monk Will
Hybrid Talent: Unarmored Defense
Background: Geography - Forest

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 14, Dex 26, Int 10, Wis 26, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 12.

AC: 46 Fort: 36 Reflex: 42 Will: 45
HP: 171 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 42

TRAINED SKILLS
Thievery +28, Religion +20, Perception +30, Stealth +28

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +23, Arcana +15, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +17, Dungeoneering +23, Endurance +17, Heal +23, History +15, Insight +23, Intimidate +17, Nature +25, Streetwise +17, Athletics +16

FEATS
Radiant Fist: Solar Enemy
Level 1: Unarmored Agility
Level 2: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Accurate holy symbol)
Level 6: Holy Symbol Expertise
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 10: Implement Focus
Level 11: Starblade Flurry
Level 12: Gambler's Word
Level 14: Warrior of the Wild
Level 16: Blessing of Corellon
Level 18: Healer's Implement
Level 20: Weapon Proficiency: Singing Stick
Level 21: Supreme Healer
Level 22: Divine Mastery
Level 24: Form Mastery
Level 26: Punishing Radiance
Level 28: Font of Radiance
Level 30: Armored by Faith

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Death's Shadow
Hybrid at-will 1: Five Storms
Hybrid encounter 1: Drunken Monkey
Hybrid daily 1: Stunning Palm
Hybrid utility 2: Harmonious Discipline
Hybrid encounter 3: Astral Flare
Hybrid daily 5: Consecrated Ground
Hybrid utility 6: Stream of Life
Hybrid encounter 7: Feeding the Doves
Hybrid daily 9: Twilight Touch
Hybrid utility 10: Iron Dragon Defense
Hybrid encounter 13: Mantle of Glory (replaces Drunken Monkey)
Hybrid daily 15: Tree of Creation (replaces Stunning Palm)
Hybrid utility 16: Altered Awareness
Hybrid encounter 17: Thunderous Word (replaces Astral Flare)
Hybrid daily 19: Rising Dragon Fire (replaces Consecrated Ground)
Hybrid utility 22: Mass Cure Serious Wounds
Hybrid encounter 23: Legion of One (replaces Feeding the Doves)
Hybrid daily 25: Sacred Word (replaces Twilight Touch)
Hybrid encounter 27: Healer's Reproof (replaces Mantle of Glory)
Hybrid daily 29: Breath of the Stars (replaces Tree of Creation)

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Jagged dagger +5, Accurate symbol of Divine Light +6, Singing Stick of Healing +5, Dawn Warrior Starweave Armor +6, Cloak of Distortion +6, Shadow Band (epic tier), Bone Ring of Preservation (paragon tier), Sun Sphere (paragon tier), Holy Gauntlets (paragon tier), Trollhide Bracers (paragon tier), Phoenix Sash (paragon tier), Dimensional Stride Boots (paragon tier), Breakchain Tattoo (paragon tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
Wow... a rare build post from GO!

Monks are definitely out of my wheelhouse, but if you don't get some traffic here, I'm going to sit myself down with the compendium, and go through it piece-by-piece to provide feedback. As it stands right now, I don't think I'm qualified to grade/rate it.
Realistically, in order to get pass level 1, you need unarmored agility at level 1.
Your probably right about unarmored agility.  He starts out with 16 AC without it.  Most of the feat order does not matter that much so I will switch that around some since I put hybrid talent first out of habit.  Edit: the hybrid talent is what gives him 16 ac at level 1, he needs both unarmored agility and hybrid talent at level 2 though.

The main thing you need to know for the cleric powers is that the encounters and dailies are all either large party friendly close blasts 5 that do radiant damage and an effect or a burst that does radiant damage or which daze or stun.  The monk attacks are almost all multitarget with a movement or status effect.  The only true single target attacks the build has are brand of the sun since it does radiant damage and grants a save as an effect and clerics don't have a multitarget at will and stunning palm, which is single target stunned (save ends).
Very nice GO, seem like a fun build, have you playtested it?
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
No, I had it in the back of my mind for a while the idea of mixing a cleric and monk with this paragon path since someone suggested a using a holy symbol as a monk implement a while ago.  I did most of the work on it yesterday and have not tried it out.
No, I had it in the back of my mind for a while the idea of mixing a cleric and monk with this paragon path since someone suggested a using a holy symbol as a monk implement a while ago.  I did most of the work on it yesterday and have not tried it out.

Would've liked to see how it fared in actual playtest, it seems like it'd be a uniquely fun build.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
I consider this to be a super kitchen sink build.  I really like multirole characters, and the control, healing, and aoe all in one build looks pretty neato.  I think if I were going to modify this for myself, I'd probably deviate to MC shaman so I could have a pet and another encounter heal.  I mean, might as well go for broke.

You are right that a super kitchen sink is what I was going for.  I don't think I would MC shaman since that would be almost too much and you would need two feats to make it worth it.  If anything I thought about going MC invoker since that could give you another blast or ranged radiant power and give you a little ranged threat, especially if you swapped out brand of the sun for sacred flame and have a dagger.  Then you could go accurate dagger or accurate or even astral holy symbol.

I also added an edit above that it might be worth adding singing stick proficiency with this build.  That lets you keep a weapon of healing and gives you another +1 to AC with your other hand holding a dagger of some sort.  Of the feats I think he could lose healer's implement and uncanny dodge are at the top of my list.  I don't want to lose the MC feat since he needs it to be a decent scout, either picking up stealth or theivery that way or getting the religion skill that he needs for the paragon path.

I actually created a build like this a while back but it was a dwarf. It worked out pretty decent, the build was different and was build more for striking. Either way I will actually do a few changes of my own and playtest this build maybe as a elf.love dwarves. i don't concentrate on items till the end so after I build everything and play test it a few encounters I'll let you know how it turns out.probably will play test at lv 11 or 16 since by them the character should have a decent stability as of what it supose to do as well as it always depends what the other party members consist of.leader,controllers...

This build is really out of date since clerics have received a lot of support and errata since this came out and can use some obvious improvement.  I would probably use a weapon as a ki focus and then pick up a warpriest at will like fell strike or icon of fear.

I would switch out a lot of other stuff as well like consecrated ground and go for Death Surge over astral flare as well.  Unarmored agility could go because of battle clerics lore and hybrid talent can go to expanded traditition or for channel divinity and then get retrained out in paragon. 

It doesn't have a theme either, but something with a minor action or immediate action attack would work.