12/09/2010 TD: "Uncovering Extended"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks Article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Probable Mystical Teachings fill-in: Jace, the Mind Sculptor (I know; surprise, surprise).

Can this be? The first time Mike "let them eat Jace" Flores has dared to comment about the ubiquity of this card? Admittedly, it was barely a roll of the eyes, but after nearly a year of saying absolutely nothing about the insanity of printing a mythic card that so dominates the format it costs $400 for a playset, I'll take that as a silence broken.
While I personally believe the format is far more interesting with Time-Spiral block...it's is, in fact, still pretty cool without it.
It is, in fact, still pretty cool without it.

It is, in fact, still last year's Standard without it.

There isn't a single deck reviewed that wasn't a deck in recent Standard. I recognized all of them. Sure some had Tarmogoyf or Logic Knot, but they are essentially the same decks.
Extended doesn't feel like a completely different format from Standard, I don't think.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
To be fair, none of us actually expected that Extended would be like that. And we certainly didn't say that this summer. And we were not shouted down for having the temerity to claim such nonsense.

I will say there were some pretty cool decks with Time Spiral still in the mix though. I wonder if we'd actually have a five-year rolling window if not for Tarmogoyf.
To be fair, none of us actually expected that Extended would be like that. And we certainly didn't say that this summer. And we were not shouted down for having the temerity to claim such nonsense.

Ah.
Thanks for clearing that up.  I must have misremembered.
As did Andy Pettite...
Mike Flores wrote:
In particular Sower of Temptation jumps up in value by a gigantic number of zeroes.

OOH! OOH! How gigantic? A million zeroes? A billion zeroes? Dare I say it, a zillion zeroes?

New(tered) Extended is infinity zeroes better than the real Extended that let me play with 40% more sets.

Now that I think of it, this Extended is also approximately 15 zeroes better than last year's Standard.
It is, in fact, still last year's Standard without it.

There isn't a single deck reviewed that wasn't a deck in recent Standard. I recognized all of them. Sure some had Tarmogoyf or Logic Knot, but they are essentially the same decks.
Extended doesn't feel like a completely different format from Standard, I don't think.

While I don't think they explicitly said so up front, this was entirely their intention.

Remember how Magic got a huge influx of players around Shards of Alara?  Well they were about to face their first rotation.  Old Extended meant picking up 4 blocks behind them, but post-rotation Standard excluded half their collection.  So New Extended was created specifically to let their old Standard decks be playable for longer.

I have no idea if it worked or not.  Online it doesn't seem that way, but stores might have a better sense of who their players are and what they're looking to do.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

The timing was definitely for the "what do you mean Vampire Nocturnus is going to rotate" crowd, no question. They didn't need to say anything. That's the only logical reason for the no-notice change. 

It appears that those M10ers are just playing Standard anyway, from the looks of things...assuming they are doing anything at all. Zendikar was the bug zapper here anyway, not Shards. For there to be any increase in Nu-Extended players it may well have to wait until even Lorwyn is gone next October. With Shards as the lead set and Zendikar out of Standard, we'll have a better idea if they were really better off using the time machine method of rotating out Jitte, Shocklands, and Tarmogoyf. 

But for now we do know that they didn't have to hit the panic button and pull the trigger in July.
Sign In to post comments