A Song of Ice and Fire

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I can't believe no one has posted about running a 4E campaign set in George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Set in a very realistic medieval world where those in power struggle for control. It is very adult in nature and not a traditional fantasy story.

To learn more about it if you don't know... check here ( www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones ) for the upcoming HBO television series adaptation coming next spring. Looks good. The books are fantastic and I think 4E commends itself to play in.

Any thoughts?
You're aware of Green Ronin's dedicated SIF RPG, aren't you?

Anyway, I don't think that 4e would be a good fit for this world. 4e's promotion of balance alone would wreak havoc in GRR Martin's world.

Huldvoll

Baron von Bomberg

Huldvoll

---Baron von Bomberg

Former DDI subscriber

4e would work, you'd just end up stripping out a good majority of classes, and almost all races (due to low fantasy setting).  But with re-fluffing you can probably still use some, as different regions of people would be different races.

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

If you want to play in this world it doesn't matter what system you use... you lose all but the human race but I think that a lot of classes would work. But you're right, different regions would grant different people feats or encounter powers. That's a great idea.

Ranger, Fighter, Warlord, Shaman, Cleric, Druid, Monk, etc.

You'd have to make some adjustments but like Martin's books, focus on story.

I would personally set the story line during the rebellion with Robert and Ned fighting the Mad King.

4e would work, you'd just end up stripping out a good majority of classes, and almost all races (due to low fantasy setting).  But with re-fluffing you can probably still use some, as different regions of people would be different races.

Getting a Greater diversity in Height in Humans

Height : 2 feet + 12d6 inches gives a range of 3 feet to 8 feet

What we have in Game of thrones is a diverse human setting - Tyrion Lanister is about 3 feet tall where as Robert Baratheon is about 7 feet tall. Obviously there are some Barbarians (the hilltribes, or wildlings north of the wall) who are 8 feet tall (the upper human limit. This height generator will get a greater diversity to replace the loss of halflings, dwarves and giant kin. 
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
I can't believe no one has posted about running a 4E campaign set in George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Set in a very realistic medieval world where those in power struggle for control. It is very adult in nature and not a traditional fantasy story.

To learn more about it if you don't know... check here ( www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones ) for the upcoming HBO television series adaptation coming next spring. Looks good. The books are fantastic and I think 4E commends itself to play in.

Any thoughts?

Dragon magazine has a past article about reccommendations for running a Game of Thrones campaign, with ideas on how to handle the low-magic scenario, the dieties, and some other interesting things.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
You're aware of Green Ronin's dedicated SIF RPG, aren't you?

Anyway, I don't think that 4e would be a good fit for this world. 4e's promotion of balance alone would wreak havoc in GRR Martin's world.

Huldvoll

Baron von Bomberg

While not a big fan of 4e, I don't agree that being balanced would be an issue, presuming players are making up their own characters rather than playing specific characters in the story. If the DM decides to veer from the regular rules, balanced mechanics makes it easy to do so.

I think the near-invincibility of the characters due to healing surges would be more detrimental to the feel of a 4e Thrones campaign than anything else. In that world, the mortality of the characters is part of what adds to the visceral appeal.

What, specifically, do you think balance does that would wreak havoc?
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Getting a Greater diversity in Height in Humans

Height : 2 feet + 12d6 inches gives a range of 3 feet to 8 feet

What we have in Game of thrones is a diverse human setting - Tyrion Lanister is about 3 feet tall where as Robert Baratheon is about 7 feet tall. Obviously there are some Barbarians (the hilltribes, or wildlings north of the wall) who are 8 feet tall (the upper human limit. This height generator will get a greater diversity to replace the loss of halflings, dwarves and giant kin. 

Hodor? Old Nan said he may have a drop of Giant blood in him.
I don't think 4e, or really any edition, of D&D works for the setting of A Song of Ice and Fire. If I was you I'd look up a game called Riddle of Steel. The game is focused on brutal combat that uses manuevers based on real world fighting techniques, and the magic system would seem to fit more with the setting too.
Sign In to post comments