12/07/2010 LI: "Feeling Blue?"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Well, another way of looking at the blue draft decks winning, is to open a Mimic Vat Smile. This insane card will win you games, no matter which color you are in.

But I agree, blue is often under drafted, and Sky-Eel schools just table, so get them pick 9 and higher. A 3/3 flyer with a card improvement is never a bad deal. Keep doing that, I will take them.

Often I find myself winning ROM drafts when having indeed top notch metalcraft or infect (i.e. the nuts deck at the table), or by drafting blue no theme, which is pretty often. Some early defense, counterspells and some good flyers is a good way to win. Only a fast white flyer deck can be annoying to play against, so be sure to take a good supportive cards for your blue deck (either removal (black/red), early flyers as well (white).
UG obviously doesn't seem to work so well, they are having similar themes (late game winning by good flyers, or big fatties). But for this archtype to be working, you need supportive cards (often in other colors) that let you survive the early game, or play with 4 to 5 mana myrs to ramp up fast.
"But, surprisingly, blue decks have won quite a few PTQs!"

"Surprisingly"? There's nothing surprising about a pro telling me that blue is the best colour. It doesn't matter what year it is or what set we're talking about: between design bias and player bias, pros will do everything they can to play blue and win with it regardless of how good it is.
Well, another way of looking at the blue draft decks winning, is to open a Mimic Vat . This insane card will win you games, no matter which color you are in.

Came here to say this

Although it probably wouldn't win you a draft single-cardedly, it's a little less convincing when the two examples contain one of the best cards in the format.
"But, surprisingly, blue decks have won quite a few PTQs!"

"Surprisingly"? There's nothing surprising about a pro telling me that blue is the best colour. It doesn't matter what year it is or what set we're talking about: between design bias and player bias, pros will do everything they can to play blue and win with it regardless of how good it is.

In draft, Blue is often one of the worst colors, which is why that statement is surprising. Perhaps noting which article you are reading might help.
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.

In draft, Blue is often one of the worst colors, which is why that statement is surprising. Perhaps noting which article you are reading might help.

Which draft format would you say blue is the worst color? "One of the worst" is a pretty weak statement when you consider there are only 5 colors to pick from.