Gelatinous, Temporal, and the Moon

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Preview of "Famine in Far-go" is up, and has the gelatinous and temporal origins:

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

And in December and Beyond, advance details on "Legion of Gold":

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

Before the Big Mistake, the Moon was a lifeless and boring place. In the current reality, the Moon has been partially terraformed and holds a thin atmosphere, akin to that of Gamma Terra at 35,000 feet. The orb is a desert of silver and white, littered with crystal alien ruins, wrecked domed bases, and forests of weird plants. It has a small frontier population—the descendants of colonists, astronauts, science station personnel, aliens, and various folks who found their way to the Moon over the years.

Thoughts on either articles?
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
For the record, I think the Temporal novice power is overpowered.
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
Oh, also, I'm interested in seeing what they're doing with vocations:

"Beyond the adventure, the expansion also includes eight new character origins (including demon, vampiric, and octopoid) and options for character vocations—in case your Gamma World hero would like a formal job title, such as soldier of fortune, mad scientist, or bounty hunter. And who doesn’t want to be a bounty hunter?"

Only 8 origins. That could make rolling somewhat awkward, I suppose.

(A d12 would be needed: 1-5 = core table, 6-10 = Far-go, 11-12 = Legion.)

I'm hoping that the vocations function somewhat like themes, given that they are the best core enhancement to the game since... uh... well, let's just say ever, because hyperbole is fun.  After all, they are doing a similar thing (vocations as themes) for D&D in that book I can't find in the catalog or recall the name of.

Wow, that's about as non-specific as I can get. 

Yeah the dazed part makes it the best weapon at-will ever.

Yeah the dazed part makes it the best weapon at-will ever.

Holy balls, yeah.  It's a weapon attack vs. Reflex that includes a 4-square teleport and a full round of dazed (more accurately, perma-daze).  Wow.  That is... that is outrageously good.
Holy balls, yeah.  It's a weapon attack vs. Reflex that includes a 4-square teleport and a full round of dazed (more accurately, perma-daze).  Wow.  That is... that is outrageously good.

I agree.  The power (as-is) is outrageous....truly, truly, truly outrageous.
We are stepping into the realm of Palladium..."Ooooh! That sounds like fun, let's chuck it in!" forgetting any balance. But then again, who said GW was balanced?
Oh, also, I'm interested in seeing what they're doing with vocations:

"Beyond the adventure, the expansion also includes eight new character origins (including demon, vampiric, and octopoid) and options for character vocations—in case your Gamma World hero would like a formal job title, such as soldier of fortune, mad scientist, or bounty hunter. And who doesn’t want to be a bounty hunter?"

Only 8 origins. That could make rolling somewhat awkward, I suppose.

(A d12 would be needed: 1-5 = core table, 6-10 = Far-go, 11-12 = Legion.)

Hey, that means subbing in some homebrew origins to fill in the gaps.
Octopoid? 

Tentacles Ahoy! Time for Pirates of Dark Water me mateys! 
We are stepping into the realm of Palladium..."Ooooh! That sounds like fun, let's chuck it in!" forgetting any balance. But then again, who said GW was balanced?

Not me, the first thietter thng I told my group when first rolling origins, "It's not fair, some origins are better than others"  After 4 game sessions, everyone in our group are aware GW is not fair or balanced.
I'm not so much concerned about it being fair or balanced so much as a single character reducing a sword beetle or eradicator mk 3 to a mewling kitten (and not the felinoid kind).

This at-will is an encounter changer.  Once it hits once (with its built-in +2/3 bonus), the player essentially has a +4/5 bonus to keep hitting it.  The resulting daze cannot be saved against, and when combined with a decent range teleport, he or she can effective neutralize a single enemy for the entire encounter with an at-will.

Omega tech is powerful and awesome and silly, as are many things in Gamma World, but this is an encounter breaker of epic proportions.  

Amusing, at least, though. 
Easiest fix: Make it an encounter power rather than an at-will.
Easiest fix: Make it an encounter power rather than an at-will.

Or remove the daze rider... honestly, that's the bit that makes it broken as an at-will (and arguably as an encounter as well).