Let The Hammer Fall! Dwarf Warpriest/Fighter/Warpriest/Indomitable Champion.

33 posts / 0 new
Last post

Let The Hammer Fall!

As is common for me, I tend to have half-baked ideas for builds, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. As I was putting this one together, it seems liked the former. Given the recent trend of making Warpriest build variants, I thought I'd add my entry to the competition. Without further ado, I humbly submit it for your review:

Show
Maria level 30
Dwarf, Warpriest, Tactical Warpriest, Indomitable Champion
Domain: Earth
Epic Heroism: Epic Heroism (Constitution)
Epic Heroism: Epic Heroism (Wisdom)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Hammer)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Holy Symbol)
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 28, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 28, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 18, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 11.

AC: 48 Fort: 49 Reflex: 42 Will: 44
HP: 205 Surges: 16 Surge Value: 51

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +21, Insight +33, Heal +29, Endurance +31

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Arcana +15, Bluff +16, Dungeoneering +26, History +15, Intimidate +16, Nature +24, Perception +26, Religion +17, Stealth +16, Streetwise +16, Thievery +16, Athletics +17

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Devout Protector Expertise
Level 4: Improved Defenses
Level 6: Battlewise (retrained to Wary Fighter at Level 11)
Level 8: Battle Awareness
Level 10: Melee Training (Wisdom)
Level 11: Armor Proficiency: Scale
Level 12: Symbol of the Sonnlinor (retrained to Hammer Rhythm at Level 21) *This feat slot is actually open to choice, however the retrain is important to the idea of the build.
Level 14: Hindering Shield
Level 16: Stonefoot Reprisal
Level 18: Focused Superiority
Level 20: Hammering Iron
Level 21: Armor Proficiency: Plate
Level 22: Overwhelming Impact
Level 24: Knock-Back Swing
Level 26: Superior Initiative
Level 28: Epic Reflexes
Level 30: Epic Fortitude

POWERS
Warpriest At-Will 1: Earth's Endurance
Warpriest At-will 2: Weight of Earth
Warpriest Domain utility: Stone Speak
Warpriest Encounter 1: Earthen Hail
Warpriest Channel Divinity: Stone's Resolve
Warpriest daily 1: Moment of Glory
Guardian Encounter: Guardian's Counter
Warpriest Utility 2: Resurgent Strength
Warpriest Encounter 3: Granite Shield
Warpriest daily 5: Inspire Fervor
Warpriest utility 6: Stream of Life
Warpriest Encounter 7: Blessing of Dust
Warpriest daily 9: Blade Barrier
Warpriest utility 10: Battle Surge
Tactical Warpriest Encounter 11: Battle Cry
Tactical Warpriest Utility 12: Battle Favor
Warpriest Encounter 13: Earthen Vanguard (Replaces Earthen Hail)
Warpriest daily 15: Brilliant Censure (replaces Moment of Glory)
Warpriest utility 16: Astral Shield
Warpriest Encounter 17: Obsidian Shield (Replaces Granite Shield)
Warpriest daily 19: Moment of Peace (replaces Inspire Fervor)
Tactical Warpriest Daily 20: Battle Pyres
Warpriest utility 22: Adjure the Chosen
Warpriest Encounter 23: Earthen Chains (Replaces Blessing of Dust)
Warpriest daily 25: Hope Killer (replaces Blade Barrier)
Warpriest Encounter 27: Earthen Fortress (Replaces Earthen Vanguard)
Warpriest daily 29: Breath of the Stars (replaces Brilliant Censure)

ITEMS
Magic Godplate +6, Magic Craghammer +6, Heavy Shield, Amulet of Protection +6 Magic Holy Symbol +6

So, what's the trick here, you're probably asking? Well, I decided to play on the whole earth theme, with Dwarf providing a solid foundation for a whole mountain of unmoveability. It's not the most optimal Leader/Defender out there, but it exemplifies one concept, which started as one of my aforementioned half-baked ideas.

"I am here. You can not, and will not, get past me, or those in my care."

In heroic, it's a standard, run-of-the-mill earth warpriest, which is never a bad thing. It's once we get into paragon that things get interesting. Your OA gets competent, then pushes, then slows (And later dazes!), and starts to do 1.5x your wis mod in it's damage bonuses. But why all that for an OA? Simple! You're a Warpriest/Tactial Warpriest! (The best kind of Warpriest, really.) Hitting with one of your At-wills (Preferably Weight of Earth, cause oh yeah, it pushes too, so it gets to slow/daze while we're at it~) gives you the ability to mark, with an OA as punishment.

And you have another trick up your sleeve, too. Stonefoot Reprisal lets you make an OA if an adjacent enemy attempts to brush you aside with a push or slide (Which, being a dwarf, you'd reduce anyway). Hit with that OA and the forced movement is negated on you. Once you go somewhere, you stay there.

It gets even more fun in Epic, with Knock-Back Swing allowing you to push/daze and deal con mod dmg even if your OA misses! So good luck to any enemy attempting to move you, and may whatever force they prey to help them if they attempt to pass you to attack one of your charges.

In the spirit of Essentials and Simplicity, this build has been made with nothing more than the vanilla +6 items, and no Dragonmark, FR or DS specific material. Obviously, Rushing Cleats are a huge boon to this build, and items that increase your personal durability will help your off-defender nature.

It is worth noting that this build works perfectly well using a Mul as racial choice. Also open to choice is the Epic Destiny - Indomitable champion was chosen for being A) a large increase to personal durability and B) extremely setting-neutral.

Anyway, in summary, I hope you like this variant on building a Warpriest. I believe it makes a nice leader on it's own, but shines as perhaps the 5th party member, bringing a solid combination of healing, buffs, control and defending to the table. Any suggestions on improvements are more than welcome.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Reserved should I need it.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
A 2nd post, although I doubt I'll need this one. Post away.
Excellent variant
Can we please have a variant of this va-variant ?

And for variants sake, someone please stat out the non-variant !

Tongue out
Can we please have a variant of this va-variant ?

And for variants sake, someone please stat out the non-variant !

You will probably see the non variant in days if not hours :P

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/14.jpg)

Are you certain that this supposed non-variant is not a non-non-variant ?!
Are you certain that this supposed non-variant is not a non-non-variant ?!

I can't be certain since i won't be the poster, but the variancy of the variant is quite variable to allow a non variant build.

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

May you live in variable times...

@ Ruins:
May the Hammering Hammer always Hammer ... METAL !
Mandatory song link.

It is the dawning of the judgement day...
You fear the dead of night
There ain't no place to hide
This is your point of no return....

Now we are ready to strike again;
It's getting far too late, my friend
Let the hammer fall!

btw, some pic options

The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
for ankiyavon.

And thanks for the compliments, guys. Any comments on the build itself?
I struck out trying to dig up the Earth Warpriest bit in Dragon. I'll have to review that before I can really post many comments.

From what I'm seeing, it looks like it packs a very solid amount of melee control, big defenses, and obvious Leader functionality. That's generally a recipe for awesomesauce.
So I had one of those 'durrrrh' moments on my home from work and remembered that I don't actually NEED Symbol of the Sonnlinor, it's just nice to have. So fitting Hammer Rhythm into the build is easily accomplished, and I've updated the build to reflect this.

As a nice side effect, the build is now campaign independant, requiring no specific deity or other setting exclusive material.
Unless I'm missing something, you're 4 points short on the point buy.  Might as well bump up Dex or Con, no?
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
Typo from me not fully correcting an alteration - the original iteration of this build had lower con and higher str to qualify for Bludgeon Mastery, but I dropped it in favour of armour feats. Thanks for pointing it out, I've now corrected the ability scores and skills.
Nice work Fate, I hadn't really looked into the Earth Domain yet, but I've gotta say- good job!

I wish I could find a good way to build up the Sun WP that I was working on, but the actual way I want to play him doesn't seem to mesh well mechanically, so I'm gonna look into other options.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
RF,

Thanks for the link. Saw it was in D392 under 'Clerics of Earth', where I had been skimming the past few issues for 'Warpriest ___'.

Comments:

1. Feat progression looks good.

2. Defenses are very solid. AC and Fort are definite highlights, of course. Key point here is that the defenses don't wait until Epic tier to be addressed-- Improved Defenses is covered at L4, which is even earlier than I usually plug it in when I have space in Heroic.

3. You build up the OAs so strongly during Paragon that I don't anticipate a DM ever triggering one more than once or twice. Once they see what this thing does on an OA, they are going to be highly motivated to respect that mark. Of course, prior to L16, the L12 and L14 feats are largely 'wind'-- not much substance from them until the mark mechanic kicks in. Considering the value you get from the rest of your feats, and the value you get from those by forcing compliance once the mark kicks in, that's OK. As soon as you get your mark, you will be able to take control of an enemy with ease.

4. Once you have control of that bad guy, your At-Will choices are both strong spam-moves to use. This is a key point for me, since you devote so many resources (almost all Paragon tier feats, Paragon Path, etc) to forcing the target to comply. It would suck to get that working, only to realize that you didn't benefit from isolating a target. With Earth's Endurance and Weight of Earth, that's not a problem. Earth's Endurance is probably your go-to, since it lets you jack your AC up to extreme levels, and should mitigate a very healthy amount of potential incoming damage. Incidentally, the interaction between Earth's Endurance and Mark of Warding = sexy.

5. Base speed 5 for life? Personally, I'm paranoid-- I'd like to see a mobility option or 2 worked in to help cope with large maps, or difficult terrain. Mighty Sprint is an easy grab, and you can use a Background to make it a Class Skill.

6. I think you've done about as much as can be done with a Warpriest here. You have made strong choices with every opportunity to make one. Any significant gripes would really be more directed at Warpriests or Earth Domain than they would at the build choices.

All in all, it's going to be pretty cookie-cutter through L16 (as a great many builds are), and then become a strong single-target Defender very abruptly. It's playable 1-30, and is really as optimized as it can get at most levels (pancakes a little from 12-15 while those 2 feat slots are ghosts).

The only things I'd really change would be including some mobility options to help you get where you want to be, and... I really wish some of the Warpriest Enc powers were more impactful. Some of them are obviously fine, but others (2[W]+prone at L7? meh) want more bite to them.
Well, some of them are nice. The level 3 and 17 options are very powerful (Expecially Obsidian Shield is 1337).

Others are... well... Earth warpriest is the weakest option available... if not for that absurd level 10 feature and the constant weapon VS nad targeting, it would be garbage imho.

Others are... well... Earth warpriest is the weakest option available... if not for that absurd level 10 feature and the constant weapon VS nad targeting, it would be garbage imho.

How do you figure?  Their healing word weakens the next attack and slides their ally Con modifier squares. While their powers may be slightly behind, their features are much better than the other two builds.

How do you figure?  Their healing word weakens the next attack and slides their ally Con modifier squares. While their powers may be slightly behind, their features are much better than the other two builds.

The powers aren't slighly behind, but extremely behind. Just take a look to the at wills. Admittedly features are great, but sun features are nice too.

Anyway, probably i was too harsh, the weakening on HW is nice to have. I've just rated them and as usually i'm biased. The fact that i'm playing with one earth warpriest and is doing really well has to be taken on account.

-Mobility is something of an issue, and one that I can look into - not having geared out the build makes it a little easier to do, I'm sure there's something easy to patch it up a bit with.

-Mark of Warding is awesome with this build, and it's on my mental list of 'things to take if I get expertise for free'. I built it to be as campaign-free as possible, should someone actually want to rock up to their table with this build in a home game. Some of the other feats are a little waffle-y til Warpriest PP's L16 comes online for real triggering, I agree, but they work brilliantly once it does.

-This build can also work with the Storm Domain, as Mark of Storm allows sliding on it's at-wills, but I prefer the Earth domain as both attacks support the idea better and having a native push doesn't require the additional feat, plus the Stone's Resolve CD power really helps either your own durability when defending, or to make whichever monster you're locking down realise it's REALLY not worth attacking that Wizard.

-I've possibly overdone it a little on the OA boosting, depending on the DM involved. When I get back from work I'll extend the write up a little with tips on altering the build to fit different campaigns and DM styles a bit more.

I'm glad you liked it Auspex.
Wouldn't Battlewise be better than Improved Initiative? You can substitue your WIS mod for DEX, so it would get even better at higher levels.
I hadn't thought about it at the time, but Battlewise is even with Imp Initiative at +4 until 8th lvl, where the wis mod becomes +5, however, it would still get retrained into Wary Fighter at lvl 11, which offers the same thing along with a +2 feat bonus to Insight and Perception, both good skills keying off the build's main stat. I have been meaning to adjust the feat order slightly, and since Battlewise is slightly better, I will change it to that.
I've now made that adjustment to the feat order, and changed up paragon feat order slightly based on my own slight dissatisfaction with it, and Auspex7's suggestions. Weapon Focus: Hammer was in fact dead weight, as DWT gives the same benefit at that point. So instead I pushed the OA centric feats up, freeing up the lvl 12 feat slot to feed to the retrain.

I used Symbol of the Sonnlinor to allow the use of a hammer as a weapliment throughout paragon, but the feat slot is largely free to choice, although retraining it to Hammer Rhythm is in keeping with the build's idea.

However - Hammer Rhythm is in fact an optional part of the build. Should you find your accuracy is never lacking, or that you have sufficient punishment and control without it, feel free to use the level 12 slot on something else - perhaps keep Sonnlinor for the utility of it.
Build updated to reflect new Cleric errata.
soo...the Hammer Fell?
Right on the NADs.
No longer able to lift Mjolnir.
And re-updated to reflect (rightful) reversion of idiotic errata.
Small update, Sept 16: Have changed the lvl 25 daily to Hope Killer and added my choice in themes.
Updated, Jan 23: Changed theme to Guardian, Expertise to the amazing Devout Protector, and finally added a pic to the OP.
I like Guardian too, I think it's great and flavorful theme.
Sign In to post comments