[CRL] Anyone else find the game kinda boring?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I bought the game for my 12 year old son for his birthday and we've played it many times in the month that he's had it.  Maybe I'm not understanding the rules or it could be the fact that there is only the two of us playing but I don't find it that entertaining.  We have died and we have won so there is equal instances of both but I find the tactics to be more basic then the D&D 4E that I'm used to playing.  I guess I could houserule tactics like flanking and combat advantage and make it more like D&D but to be honest I'd prefer playing Risk or even Balderdash with the fam.  Anyone else?
Austino's LFR CHARACTERS Ander Darkfoot - 12 - Halfling - Rogue/Daggermaster Miget Lii - 12 - Dragonborn - Paladin/Champion of Order Belfire Ogrecrush - 13 - Dwarf - Weaponmaster/Dreadnaught Dragonheart - 5 - Dragonborn - Sorcerer Shadowflame - 4 - Drow - Assassin Big Daddy - 3 - Goliath - Barbarian Utua - 4 - Shardmind - Artificer Terminator - 1 - Warforged - Barbarian Bladyis - 4 - Elven - Ranger
I don't know how the Ravenloft board game differs from actual D&D, but my suggestion would then be to use the minis and the setting to run an actual Castle Ravenloft adventure.

That, or play Risk or Balderdash. 

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

True, I could write an adventure for Ravenloft that I'm sure my son and his friends would appreciate.  As for playing Risk or Balderdash, I kind of feel on the hook for buying CR so I do want to get some use out of it.  But I will still play Risk and Balderdash, don't worry.
Austino's LFR CHARACTERS Ander Darkfoot - 12 - Halfling - Rogue/Daggermaster Miget Lii - 12 - Dragonborn - Paladin/Champion of Order Belfire Ogrecrush - 13 - Dwarf - Weaponmaster/Dreadnaught Dragonheart - 5 - Dragonborn - Sorcerer Shadowflame - 4 - Drow - Assassin Big Daddy - 3 - Goliath - Barbarian Utua - 4 - Shardmind - Artificer Terminator - 1 - Warforged - Barbarian Bladyis - 4 - Elven - Ranger
Ya, I have found the game to be a bit on the dull side. Ive played with 5 people, so its not just the fact that you're only playing with two.

I think the main issue is that you end up doing the same move over and over and over. And it doesnt really matter what square you are in, so like you said, things like flanking, combat advantage, etc are not there to spice things up.

As for Risk and Balderdash, there are many many games that have come out in the past couple years that put traditional board games to shame that might be a better choice. Pretty much any game store will have a good supply of them.
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that.
Ya, I have found the game to be a bit on the dull side. Ive played with 5 people, so its not just the fact that you're only playing with two.

I think the main issue is that you end up doing the same move over and over and over. And it doesnt really matter what square you are in, so like you said, things like flanking, combat advantage, etc are not there to spice things up.

As for Risk and Balderdash, there are many many games that have come out in the past couple years that put traditional board games to shame that might be a better choice. Pretty much any game store will have a good supply of them.

In my opinion movement does matter, you can pull of some nice tricks with tile movement and it is rather important on where you place the enemies when they move on your tile.
...you can pull of some nice tricks with tile movement and it is rather important on where you place the enemies when they move on your tile.

Hey there FloLeBlanc!

I'd like some explanation on your last sentence...how can placing a Monster on a square instead of another can be that important?

I'm asking because, correct me if i'm wrong, Monsters move by tiles and not squares so automatically if a said Monster is on the same tile as a Hero it moves adjacent to the Hero attacks that him or her... 

Hi Rhezuss,

for example:

Imagine we have Monster A and Monster B, both with 1 hitpoint.
Monster A is on the same tile as the fighter - Monster B is 2 tiles away from the fighter and moves 1 tile.
You want to put that Monster (B) to a space adjacent to the tile the fighter is on.

X X X     B  X X
X F X     X  X X
A X X     X  X X

Now it's the fighters turn. He laughs about the clumsy movement of Monster B, moves to the top right corner of his current tile and uses "Cleave" to attack monster B. (Cleave states "Attack one adjacent Monster" - mind that the monster does not have to be on the same tile)

Furthermore cleave states: "If you hit, choose another Monster on your tile and move adjacent to it. That monster takes 1 damage."

Well it is our lucky day - because monster A IS on the same tile as the fighter, he moves back adjacent to it and kills it without even roling to hit.

Continuing the cleave example: If monster B would already move on the fighters tile and attack him, you would try to put the monster on a space where the fighter can use the special ability of cleave to be positioned on an unexplored edge with the special ability. (for example: move one space towards monster A, cleave it - use the ability to get back to the top of monster B, to "gain" some movement (attack - move) or even explore an unexplored edge on the position he was put)
I actually really love the boardgame... but that is just me.
Sign In to post comments