"The Variant", Human (Sun) Warpriest/Adroit Explorer/Demigod

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Human (Sun) Warpriest/Adroit Explorer/Destined Scion

"You want a piece of me?!"

Build Credit: This is evidently a variant of something that Tech Priest hasn't put together yet, and is a build that I didn't quite submit, but alluded to a feat progression for in one of his threads.

Build Objective: BE A TOUGH GUY!!! (...and make the rest of your buddies Tough Guys, too)

Build Features

1. Tough as f**k! By level 8, you gain (Con mod) temp HP every time you hit with a Radiant attack.
2. Got Saves? F**k, yeah, you do! You grant saving throws at will, and have a Channel Divinity power, and an Encounter attack power, that also allow you to grant saves. Good news for you-- you can even grant YOU saves whenever you want. Note: Superior Will (feat) + 'Destined for Greatness' (12U) = you always have your wits about you.
3. Blind, 2 x per Enc, by L11. Ambitious Effort lets you use Searing Light twice per Enc, which is hotness.
4. Damage Resistance. You can have or grant it at will, and your AP feature gives you an even bigger dose of it. When you combine this with the constant stream of temp HP, you have one tough nut to crack. You may hit like a girl, but you take a punch like a grown woman*.
5. Action Points, yo! Adroit Explorer. Duh.
6. You're a real "Go-Getter"! Battlewise + Improved Initiative = You're always showin' up early!
7. Holy S#1t! Sacred Flame + Radiant Recovery = temps for you, and temps or a save for an ally!

*This was not a joke. It was a public service. You see, I put that comment there to demonstrate how not funny it is to make light of domestic abuse. The truth of the matter is that women who are being beaten in real life don't have fancy Clerics running around, granting them DR or temp hp, and bad marriages aren't (save ends). If you or someone you know is being beaten at home, do what 'Kick-Ass' did-- put on a scuba outfit, grab some sticks, and take a stand**!

**My lawyer demands that I clarify that this is not a suggestion that you become a super hero or a vigilante, or that you physically stand up from your chair. Injuries accrued while performing any of these acts are not the fault of the author.

Level 1 Snapshot

Frame: Human (Sun) Warpriest/Adroit Explorer/Destined Scion

Stats:
Strength: 13
Constitution: 16
Dexterity: 10
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 18
Charisma: 9

Defenses:
AC: 19
Fort: 15
Ref: 13
Will: 16

HP: 28
Surge Value: 7
Surges per Day: 10

Feats:
Bonus (Human): Superior Implement Training (Accurate Symbol)
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword)

Initiative Mod: +0

At-Wills:
Blessing of Battle. +7 vs AC, 1d10+4
Brand of The Sun. +7 vs AC, 1d10+4
Sacred Flame. +5 vs Reflex, 1d6+4

Encounter Powers:
Sun Burst. +7 vs AC, 1d10+4

Daily Powers:
Nimbus of Holy Shielding. +7 vs Will, 1d10+4

Healing Line-up:
2 x Healing Word

Items/Inventory:
Weapon: Bastard Sword
Implement: Accurate Holy Symbol
Armor: Scale Mail, Heavy Shield

Notes & Comments:
I love the term, "Level 1 build". No notes necessary here, because it's really the same as every other Warpriest in the world at this point.

Level 11 Snapshot

Stats:
Strength: 14
Constitution: 19
Dexterity: 11
Intelligence: 11
Wisdom: 21
Charisma: 10

Defenses:
AC: 29
Fort: 25
Ref: 22
Will: 26

HP: 81
Surge Value: 20
Surges per Day: 11

Feats:
Level 2: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade, Holy Symbol)
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 6: Deva Heritage
Level 8: Radiant Recovery
Level 10: Battlewise
Level 11: Improved Defenses

Initiative Mod: +10

At-Wills:
Blessing of Battle. +17 vs AC, 1d10+12
Brand of the Sun. +17 vs AC, 1d10+12
Sacred Flame. +13 vs Reflex, 1d6+7

Encounter Powers:
Sun Burst. +17 vs AC, 1d10+12
Resurgent Sun. +17 vs AC, 2d10+12
Searing Brand. +17 vs AC, 1d10+12. Note: this power can be used twice per encounter, via 'Ambitious Effort' (Adroit Explorer)

Daily Powers:
Nimbus of Holy Shielding. +17 vs Will, 1d10+12
Divine Castigation. +17 vs AC, 2d10+12
Blade Barrier

Utility Powers:
Resurgent Strength, 1/day.
Mighty Sprint, 1/enc.
Word of Vigor, 1/enc.

Items/Inventory:
Weapon: Magic Bastard Sword +3
Implement: Magic Accurate Holy Symbol +2
Armor: (masterwork) Magic Scale +3
Neck: Amulet of Protection +2
Arms: Iron Armbands of Power

Notes & Comments:
By this point, you're a rock. Your defenses are strong accross the board, you have At-Will saves, temps, and damage resistance, and you have a lot of surges available. Once per Encounter, you are able to move 9 squares in one move action. You can use 'Searing Brand' twice per Encounter, which lets you pick on key bad guys. All in all, a pretty solid set-up.

Level 21 Snapshot

Stats:
Strength: 14
Constitution: 24
Dexterity: 12
Intelligence: 12
Wisdom: 26
Charisma: 11

Defenses:
AC: 38
Fort: 37
Ref: 31
Will: 38

HP: 136
Surge Value: 34
Surges per Day: 14

Feats:
Level 2: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blades, Holy Symbol)
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades)
Level 12: Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 21)
Level 14: Superior Will
Level 16: Heavy Armor Agility
Level 18: Shared Perserverance
Level 20: Resilient Focus
Level 21: Supreme Healer

Initiative Mod: +27

At-Wills:
Blessing of Battle, +28 vs AC, 2d10+20
Brand of the Sun, +28 vs AC, 2d10+20
Sacred Flame, +24 vs Reflex, 2d6+12

Encounter Powers:
Searing Brand, +28 vs AC, 1d10+20. Note: Usable 2/Enc.
Awakening Sun, +28 vs AC, 2d10+20.
Strength of the Sun, +28 vs AC, 3d10+20

Daily Powers:
Honestly, I didn't research these. Grab what you want. I may revise these later, after deciding on a direction (control, buffing, damage, etc)

Utility Powers:
Sun's Glow, At-Will
Soothing Light (Channel Divinity), 1/enc
Holy Cleansing, 1/day
Mighty Sprint, 1/enc.
Resurrection, 1/day
Word of Vigor, 1/enc.
Destined for Greatness, 1/enc.
Divine Armor, 1/day

Items/Inventory:
Weapon: Magic Bastard Sword +5
Implement: Magic Accurate Holy Symbol +4
Armor: Magic Nagascale +5
Neck: Amulet of Protection +4
Arms: Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier)

Notes & Comments:
By this point, you're really, really hard to kill, you hand out temp HP and/or Resist: all At-Will, you give away saves whenever you want, you AP every encounter, you save on an '8', etc. You're a tank-- not a Defender, but definitely a tank. DMs are wasting time if they try to burn you down.

Level 30, Final Build

Stats:
Strength: 15
Constitution: 26
Dexterity: 12
Intelligence: 12
Wisdom: 28
Charisma: 11

Defenses:
AC: 46
Fort: 48
Ref: 42
Will: 50

HP: 183
Surge Value: 45
Surges per Day: 15

Feats:
Level 2: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blades, Holy Symbol)
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades)
Level 12: Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 21)
Level 14: Superior Will
Level 16: Heavy Armor Agility
Level 18: Shared Perserverance
Level 20: Resilient Focus
Level 21: Supreme Healer
Level 22: Shielding Word
Level 24: Divine Mastery
Level 26: Epic Reflexes
Level 28: Epic Will
Level 30: Epic Fortitude

Initiative Mod: +33

At-Wills:
Blessing of Battle, +37 vs AC, 2d10+24
Brand of the Sun, +37 vs AC, 2d10+24
Sacred Flame, +34 vs Reflex, 2d6+15

Encounter Powers:
Searing Light, +37 vs AC, 1d10+24
Strength of the Sun, +37 vs AC, 3d10+24
Overwhelming Light, +37 vs AC, 3d10+24
Light of the First Dawn, +37 vs AC, 4d10+24
*Notes: You have automatic Combat Advantage with all of these attacks. You may also recycle one of them each Enc with Divine Mastery.

Daily Powers:
Weighing options...

Utility Powers:
Sun's Glow, At-Will
Soothing Light (Channel Divinity), 1/enc
Holy Cleansing, 1/day
Mighty Sprint, 1/enc.
Resurrection, 1/day
Word of Vigor, 1/enc.
Destined for Greatness, 1/enc.
Divine Armor, 1/day
Mass Cure Serious Wounds, 1/day
Epic Recovery, 1/day
Undeniable Victory, 1/day

Items/Inventory:
Weapon: Magic Bastard Sword +6
Implement: Magic Accurate Holy Symbol +6
Armor: Magic Elderscale Armor +6
Neck: Amulet of Protection +6
Arms: Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier)

Notes & Comments:
Things are even more crazy now. You save on a '6', you're getting to save against some attacks at the start of your turn, you have automatic CA any time you use your Enc powers, you get to recycle an attack every Enc, your Fort and Will are through the roof, etc.

This should be one of the hardest-- if not THE hardest-- Leaders in the game to bring down. While it's up, this build also does a lot to keep Team Hero on its feet.

Variants:
"Trailblazer", by lordduskblade
"Dr. No", by Ytterbium_Dragon
"Master of Puppets", by Dielzen
"Battery", by McDrowbane
"Lightswitch", by Nausicaa
"Achilles", by Langweile
"Illusion of Hope", by Mommy_was_an_Orc
"Killswitch", by douchebag
"Lazy, Lazy, Clever Commander", by trap_in_the_gender_sense
"Serenity", by yargon
"Wil Resurrected", by kilpatds
"Althea", by Ignis_Fatuus
...and everything, ever, by SongnSilence and Litigation.
Sponsors:
Sponsor listing

David Caruso.

Ike Turner

Randy Savage

It's been 15 minutes and you do not even have the level by level progression fleshed out yet? You're getting slow Auspex.

Not sure where that +10 init on level 11 comes from, but I am too lazy to do the math. Though I am happy you posted this, so that Tech Priest can have an easier time to really all by himself flesh out the build he already has in his head but doesn't know the starting ability scores for yet.

Anyway, you know its a good build, and how on earth do you get away with making fun of spousal abuse ?

It's been 15 minutes and you do not even have the level by level progression fleshed out yet? You're getting slow Auspex.

Not sure where that +10 init on level 11 comes from, but I am too lazy to do the math. Though I am happy you posted this, so that Tech Priest can have an easier time to really all by himself flesh out the build he already has in his head but doesn't know the starting ability scores for yet.

Anyway, you know its a good build, and how on earth do you get away with making fun of spousal abuse ?

+10 initiative comes from 1/2 level + Battlewise

as for the bit about spousal abu-

HEY, LOOK! ELVIS!
Never mind.

LMAO
Variants:
"Battery", by McDrowbane
"Achilles", by Langweile
"Serenity", by yargon

/cough

And photo from Mr. Stupid. =)
Variants:
"Battery", by McDrowbane
"Achilles", by Langweile
"Serenity", by yargon

/cough

And photo from Mr. Stupid. =)

Couldn't figure out where it had been used before. Makes sense that Mr Stupid used it-- I love that post.

/salute
Nice one! Laughing

I keep debating on if I should keep Dwarf or maybe grab Human instead for that extra attack...

**EDIT** My lvl 1's up, gonna do 11, 21, & 30 asap, but the baby's due Monday so we'll see how that goes.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..

Ahh, the hilarity.
OH **** I'M DYING OVER HERE.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
aawwww, shucks
Best of all about Half-Elf... you still qualify for Adroit Explorer.

Oh, also: Whatchu talkin bout, Willis?

Clearly you spent the proficiency for Superior Wit?

It's always nice to wield a +6 Subtle Superior Wit.  If you don't like that, I would suggest Staggering as a backup enchancement.

I can't believe you credited douchebag, but didn't credit, oh wait...

Hahahahahaha i wake up and i see this thing ROFL

Great build, tough as a damned anthill and pestering like a cloaked man.

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/14.jpg)

?????

The most bizarre similes! I'm as confused as a piece of coral!

?????

The most bizarre similes! I'm as confused as a piece of coral!

Coral gets confused easily since jellyfishes shine!

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/14.jpg)

[...] and pestering like a cloaked man.

Best of all about Half-Elf... you still qualify for Adroit Explorer.

Oh, also: Whatchu talkin bout, Willis?

This is me mis-reading Dual Heritage.  It works in the new CB so I assumed that Dual Heritage allows you to take PPs that are elf or human specific.  A close reading of Dual Heritage shows that I'm wrong.  My mistake.
That's okay, it's an easy mistake to make. I just wanted to bring it up before you put the work into a full build.

Also, just noticed trap_in_a_gender_sense, and lawled all over the floor.
Hrhr, nice one ! Laughing

What's the Str 13/15 for ?

I'd personally make him a bit less Tank-y and more Defender-y. Was that a deliberate choice or did you just feel there was a lack of good options to do that ?
Hrhr, nice one !

What's the Str 13/15 for ?

I'd personally make him a bit less Tank-y and more Defender-y. Was that a deliberate choice or did you just feel there was a lack of good options to do that ?

Thanks

The Strength is just kind of floating. This wasn't really something I put a lot of work into. It was really intended to be a very basic sample build, rather than a high-octane CharOp masterpiece.

Re: tank vs Defender,

That part was intentional, actually. The basic idea with this is just to mitigate incoming damage to the entire party. While that is basically the whole point of a Defender, the Warpriest has the luxury of going about it a different way. In terms of Defender options, there are certainly quite a few-- Battle Awareness and the Warpriest Paragon Path spring immediately to mind.

Again, though... this is really more of a sample build than anything.
I just thought that you would gain a lot by switching Str to Dex 13->15

Str 15: +2 Athletics
Dex 15: +1 Init during Heroic, +2 Reflex, +1 AC (Heavy Armor Agility -> Scale Spec)

For one extra feat, you could also get all three Superior Fort & Ref & Will. SupRef in particular would make hitting with that first Searing Light much easier, so you could maintain that CA cycle into round #3 when you AP.
To bad you can't get HBO easily. While it doesn't hurt hit the mob harder in a direct manner of speaking, it makes the cost of provoking that OA even higher, because you'd give out another package of resist or another save.

The other options you mentioned are o/c solid as well. In case you MC Fighter you could also use Lashing Flail without loss of accuracy or damage.
I think it's really worth spelling out that stuff, because that's a neat package to build a great Sunpriest on, and then customise it the way you like.

Again, though... this is really more of a sample build than anything.

You don't say ! Surprised
Love this Auspex.  Just one quesiton how is the Warpriest wearing Scale armor?  Currently in the CB they can only wear Chain.
Compliments on a solid build as usual, A7. I built my own warpriest variant, which I'd appreciate you have a look at when you've got a moment.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
First - I really like this build. Great work!

I was also wondering how Bracers of Zeal would work with this character (assuming of course you didn't need Iron Armbands).

Bracers have an Encounter power: "Free Action. Trigger: You hit an enemy adjacent to you with a melee attack power", turn temp hit points into damage for that attack.

Radiant Recovery: "When you hit with an attack that has the radiant keyword", you gain temp hit points.

My question is which comes first?

Can you use this combo when you don't have temp hp to generate them and then instantly turn them into damage? Can you use them when you already have temp hp to transform them into damage and then gain them right back? Either option?

My initial thought is that you can decide when to use your Free Action to trigger the bracers, either before or after Radiant Recovery grants you the temp hp, but I could be wrong.

Am I missing how the scale armor proficiency is gained?

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

He would be better of losing heavy armor agility for scale.  He needs the bastard sword for the +3 to hit or else he is using a dagger or mace. (edit: it looks like the comment that line was directed to disappeared)

I am hoping to try out a very similar build this weekend, but using half elf with starfire womb and some items for constant near automatic save generation instead of constant temp hitpoints.  And going radiant servant with mainly close burst radiant daily powers.
Heavy Armor Agility does not get taken until 16th. I thought Warpriests had Military Weapons, I was wrong. I would prioritze Scale, in place of SIP at 1st, or Expertise at 2nd, and push feats until Focus.
Scratch That, Expertise lends more than accurate Symbol, take Symbol at 4th...
Delay Focus for Heavy Armor Agility. Feat Progresion would then look like:
Bonus (Human): Armor Proficiency Scale
Level 2:
Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade, Holy Symbol)
Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Accurate Symbol)

For slight loss of DPR, but then, it's not really a DPR build...
Maybe add Gritty Background for Longsword Prof?

@Gelatinous, yeah, my initial comment added nothing, so I deleted...
Nearly a year since last I posted here...

So, I was doing some work throwing together a Dwarven templar variation of the Variant (I found the lack of Dwarven Templar builds, disturbing....) and stumbled upon something, not sure if it has been done before, so here's my question...

Is there some obvious (or more obscure) reason why Warpriest's Challenge (level 16 Tactical Warpriest feature), Keep them Close (Epic level Gladiator feat), and Overwhelming Impact should not interact to create a mark that Dazes, UEoE, or the Warpriest marks someone else?

Dwarven Templar Variation of "The Variant"

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 21
Shield Dwarf, Cleric (Templar), Tactical Warpriest, Indomitable Champion
Build: Shielding Cleric
Cleric Option: Battle Cleric's Lore
Epic Heroism Option: Wisdom
Epic Heroism Option: Constitution
Missing Master (Missing Master Benefit)
Theme: Gladiator

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 24, DEX 10, INT 12, WIS 28, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 8, INT 10, WIS 18, CHA 10

AC: 39 Fort: 35 Ref: 31 Will: 39
HP: 136 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 34

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +24, Heal +24, Insight +27, Perception +27, Religion +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Arcana +11, Athletics +11, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +21, History +11, Intimidate +11, Nature +19, Stealth +10, Streetwise +11, Thievery +10

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Gladiator Feature: Disrupting Advance
Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience
Cleric Feature: Divine Fortune
Cleric Feature: Turn Undead
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Feat Utility: Astral Splendor
Cleric Attack 1: Brand of the Sun
Cleric Attack 1: Sonnlinor's Hammer
Cleric Utility 2: Sacrificial Aegis
Cleric Attack 5: Inspire Fervor
Cleric Utility 6: Stream of Life
Cleric Attack 7: Wrathful Lightning
Cleric Utility 10: Word of Vigor
Cleric Utility 10: Battle Surge
Tactical Warpriest Attack 11: Battle Cry
Tactical Warpriest Utility 12: Battle Favor
Cleric Attack 13: Remorse
Cleric Attack 15: Sacred Armistice
Cleric Attack 17: Sever the Source
Cleric Attack 19: Moment of Peace
Tactical Warpriest Attack 20: Battle Pyres

FEATS
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 2: Wrathful Warrior
Level 2: Wary Fighter
Level 4: Devout Protector Expertise
Level 10: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 12: Superior Will
Level 14: Focused Mind
Level 16: Hindering Shield
Level 18: Hammering Iron
Level 21: Keep Them Close
Level 21: Overwhelming Impact

ITEMS
Ritual Book
Summoned Nagascale Armor +5 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Holy Symbol
Crusader's Mordenkrad +4
Healer's Brooch +4 x1
Boots of Quickness (paragon tier) x1
Crusader's Craghammer +4 x1
Light Shield x1
Symbol of Scorned Fate +1 x1
Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier) x1
Strikebacks x1
Crownring of Tchazzar x1
Alliance Band x1
Foe Binder Ring x1
Cord of Divine Favor x1
Bag of Holding
Ebony Fly
Stone of Light
Farslayer Craghammer +3
Siberys Shard of Radiance (paragon tier)
====== End ======

Note, I'm not final on Powers, and feats for 16 and 18 could easily change if a 2 hander becomes preferable.
Edit: Lots of things could change, really...
That is an interesting interaction I'd never considered before. Thinking about things like Mark of Storm and other feats/features that add onto attack powers, it'd certainly be consistent to say they work together.

That'd be pretty crazy on a Fighter. Keep Them Close+Overwhelming Impact and all your attacks now Daze. Not really new, there are combos where you already do that (Hindering Shield+Slide+OI), but this one takes fewer resources.

The big difference with the fighter, is that the mark is triggered off of the attack (no hit required, though the daze might be triggered if the attack hit)... Tactical Warpriest's Mark is triggered on "the hit", making it interact with Overwhelming Impact.

The big difference with the fighter, is that the mark is triggered off of the attack (no hit required, though the daze might be triggered if the attack hit)... Tactical Warpriest's Mark is triggered on "the hit", making it interact with Overwhelming Impact.

Well, yeah, you'd still have to hit for the daze to trigger, but still. But yeah, I'd say it works exactly like you said. Kind of wish I could do something to make Wardens benefit from it. Still irked they don't have a UD build.