Dungeon 185 - Editorial: Dramatic Structure

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Dungeon 185
Editorial: Dramatic Structure

by Steve Winter

The rules of drama apply whether you're staging a Greek tragedy or a D&D adventure.

Talk about this Editorial here.

AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

23,000 words?   That is BIG.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I'm a big fan of insisting that playing a game is very different from reading/watching/experiencing a story, and forcing story conventions onto a game can be a big mistake. In this case, though, I tend to agree - the standard drama structure works relatively well, though I think there can be plenty of games and adventures that operate just fine without following that formula.

I'm eager to hear about the big adventure here. Especially after last month's Lord of the White Field, Dungeon seems to be making some moves in the right direction. I'm also eager to see a Court of Stars article, as I do enjoy any of the articles on the 'big bads' of the setting (whether Court of Stars, Codex of Betrayal, Lords of Chaos, etc.)

I am, though, somewhat concerned that Bark at the Moon is the only adventure for the month. Even if a big one, that's a disappointment. Because, I'm sorry, encounter sites are not like one-act plays. I have yet to see a single encounter - or, honestly, most delves or side treks - that contains anything resembling a worthwhile story. I'll take a look at the Whispering Glade and see if you prove me wrong, but my expectations are pretty low.

And note - I'm a DM who rarely even uses full adventures. I tend to plunder bits and pieces and individual encounters for my own games, making me essentially the ideal DM for 'encounter site articles'. And yet, I'd honestly be happy if I never saw a single encounter, side trek, or delve in Dungeon again. At least not when they are taking the place of full adventures.

Because I can easily snag single encounters from a full adventure. But a DM who needs a complete adventure will have a much harder time weaving together a bunch of side-treks into a robust experience.

You guys should be getting out 2-3 adventures each issue. At least 2 solid, genuine adventures each month. Add other encounters and side treks if you have them, sure, but pretending they have any real merit as stories in their own right... well, I'll remain dubious until shown otherwise. They just don't have the room to offer anything substantial, and passing them off in place of proper encounters does no one any good.
I'm stunned (save ends). OK, I made my save and now I am very happy that Dungeon is about to publish a real adventure AGAIN. For two months in a row we're going to have a real adventure!

I just realised, if you combine the Oct, Nov and Dec issues of Dungeon into a single issue you will have a single issue. Meaning, you will have a publication approximately the same size as Paizo used to produce each month.

Agreeing with MrMyth, the simple fact is: this is disgraceful. Either publish a Dungeon magazine with content or call it Delve or Ampersand or something else.
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
On the flip side, they've been publishing the same amount of D&Di content, just more of it's been going to Dragon.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Sign In to post comments