Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Decks for January, 2011

117 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of January, 2011.
Two Weeks of no news

Announcing...

...a base set

Dailymtg is operated by awful, awful people.
So we may have:

1. New art for the Lorwyn 'walkers.
2. New Core Set 'walkers.
3. A piece of promotional art.

Am I missing anything here? 
Good. Now we don't have to hear from anyone who still suffers from the delusion that Mirrodin Pure and New Phyrexia will actually be two different sets.

The Chandra art is nice.
It seems very courageous of Mark Rosewater to complain about GDS people's loglines every week when he knows an upcoming set has the logline "Gather your allies."
Mmm, dat Chandra, I'm excited for M12 already.
Does this mean the ally creature type is going to be reprinted in m12?
Looks like the phase gather your Allies may be an important theme for a specific creature type in the set.
They better release that Chandra as a wallpaper.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

It seems very courageous of Mark Rosewater to complain about GDS people's loglines every week when he knows an upcoming set has the logline "Gather your allies."

Actually, it and all the other recent set's loglines show that a logline is supposed to be very short, containing the essence only, and is active not passive. Something very few GDS loglines have been so far.

Even if you don't like it that way, that's not what the GDS is about. You can't just make what you think is good, you'll also has to make what wizards thinks is good.

Makes me wonder if M12 has heavy emphasis on the friendly/enemy color pairs.

As for the chandra art, first I was like NICE! Then I was like... why is her husband beating her... =(
(That order is not my fault, it's how the artist painted it)
I really hope at least a few of the Planeswalkers are switched out. These are getting old, and as I've said before, there's a few of them I just don't think represent their color properly for a Core Set.

It's really silly to keep the Lorwyn Walkers together since they don't actually have anything to do with each other. They didn't even have a connection to Lorwyn in the first place. It's a completely arbitrary tradition that really holds no value. If they can stop reprinting cards that have been in the Core Set since Alpha, they can start switching up the Planeswalkers.

P.S. Why is Rick Moranis dressed as Chandra?

As for the chandra art, first I was like NICE! Then I was like... why is her husband beating her... =(

Eh?

How does her husband come into it?
:-S
My gut reaction to "gather your allies" is "smacks strongly of multiplayer."
Totally digging the new Chandra art! Gonna need that as an iPhone wallpaper STAT!

Also, I hope this means we're getting new versions of at least some of the Lorwyn 'walkers even if it means some of them are seeing a third version.
I really hope at least a few of the Planeswalkers are switched out. These are getting old, and as I've said before, there's a few of them I just don't think represent their color properly for a Core Set.

Which ones? They all seem to have pretty much the core of their color down, or at least a part of it. And in M11 at least part of the set was tailored around their abilities, to make them even more representative of the core set colors.

Not that I disagree that they should get swapped, though. Reprinting JtMS would be hilarious, but all new walkers would be nice too.

That's clearly not Chandra Ablaze, so they're probably not just putting 2.0 versions of all the Lorwyns in. That does appear to be Planeswalker art, though, so we'll get Chandra in one form or another. My pessimistic side says: new art, same Lorwyn 5.
Shame on the graphics department for profaning the logo with that stretched-out '2012'.  This is junior-high level design work compared to the vast majority of Magic branding.

Eh?

How does her husband come into it?
:-S

Maybe it's just me =)
But the darkness around her front eye looks really really weird to me
Why can't two M## sets be legal post rotation??? I feel cheated out of my cards when I want to play with core set cards.
There's a mistake in today's Daily Deck List. Two cards are listed as "Unknown Card".
What happened to Chandra's face?

*shudder*

P.S. Why is Rick Moranis dressed as Chandra?

I agree, she looks like not-so-Lady Gaga, if the fan boys like it, fine. I like the Chandra Ablaze and Manga version,  more than this. Keep an eye on the marketing guys...   o_0
Re: "Gather Your Allies" - my first thought was about the Zendikar creature type, then about how Mark Rosewater had been telling GDS2 contestants not to use Magic keywords and terms in their loglines.

Re: Chandra artwork - at first glance, it's good Chandra art, but I felt something was off with her face.  Looking closer, I found several things that I felt were contributing to my feeling that it doesn't look right.  Her nose seems larger; her lips are shaped differently; that one eye of hers looks really odd with the darkness around it, too much eye makeup or a black eye as mentioned above; her hair is different or missing - we normally see strands of hair among the fire and over her ears; and I think she seems thinner in her face and body.

Re: Daily Deck - I would wager that the two "Unknown Cards" listed in this deck are not errors, but rather cards from this year's upcoming multiplayer product for Commander.
Why can't two M## sets be legal post rotation??? I feel cheated out of my cards when I want to play with core set cards.

Up until recently you didn't even have three months to play with two core sets at once. One always used to replace the previous one.

You might look into Extended, which was reduced to four years' worth of cards specifically for situations like yours. There you can play M10, M11, M12 together for another year.
"gather your allies"

at first i thought they might reprint the allies from zendikar (yuck!).
they would never do that though :==)

Multiplayer focus seems like a legit theory though. maybe wotc market research has shown that players like to play FFA and team games. (which seems quite true to me from my personal experience).
But cards that are designed specifically for multiplayer still seem rather lame. unless it's done in a nice subtle way.

edit:
Up until recently you didn't even have three months to play with two core sets at once. One always used to replace the previous one.

yea but then they also only released a new coreset every 2 years and they all had pretty much the same cards.
my new deck: Bears with Weapons

I bet you mint condition complete sets of Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, and Revised, that:

"Gather" is a reference to ":the Gathering"

1. Both in the world of the card game (an epic fantasy setting with mighty armies and duels between wizards)
2. AND in the real world (a place where college students spend hundreds of dollars on childrens card games)

3. The ally creature type MIGHT be in this-- the creature type 'lords' MUST be once again revisited- old ones or new ones, SOMEONE is going to be giving +1/+1 to someone else.

4. finally, with that art: I think we're finally going to see a set that doesn't just 'include' Planeswalker cards, as very tasty bonus content; no, Magic 2012 is going to be SPECIFICALLY FOCUSED on the Planeswalkers.  Expect, among other things, this change to be made:

some of the 'signature spells' in M11 for the walkers were non-creature or creature centered.  After 2012, expect the Lorwyn Walkers to each have both a signature non-creature spell and a signature creature summon (a creature for Jace and a spell for Garruk)

expect some non-Lorwyn Walkers to get 'signature moves' as well

finally, of all the 'Walker 2.0's, Jace is by far the biggest smash hit.  Even if The Mindscultpor is deemed too powerful to see reprint, or if that would feel like a betrayal of the secondary market, I am HOPING, but not guaranteeing, that a signature move for The Mindsculptor will actually reference his new title.  For example: 'Mindsculpt' Mythic Rare- Exile target library.  Or something like that. 'Genius of the Mindsculptor' anyone?

New art for the Lorwyn Walkers, even if it's just 'signature move art', will of course be seen

And finally, here's my boldest prediction:

There will be MORE THAN 5 PLANESWALKERS IN THE SET! Maybe 6, or 7 only, but The Lorwyn Five have to stay, and we need some of the old Alara and Zendikar buddies to be reprinted.  Maybe the Lorwyn Five will be all 2.0s (that would mean NEW GARRUK AND LILIANA), maybe it will be a mix (Old Ajani, New Jace, Old Liliana, New Chandra, Old Garruk)

but either way, for a set with a major emphasis on Magic's biggest superstars, Wizards will want some splashy new/newish stuff to be showcased along with their Fantasic Five

Final summary of actual card possibilities:

-About 10 or 12 Signature spells- not necessarily evenly distributed anymore (Jace has been shown favoritism in the past)
-About 6-8 Walkers, some maybe new, at least half old, hopefully ALL with at LEAST new art.
(2.0 counts as 'new' since they havent been in a Core Set yet)
-classic '5 colors/5 creature types/5 lords' pattern will be continued in the Core Set.
-creature type 'ally' is not likely to be in the set, simply because while I believe it WILL return, I think the Core Set is not the place to do it. (did we ever see Slivers in the Core Set?)

of all the Planewalkers that are least likely to be reprinted but most in need of it:
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker.

it doesn't make sense to 2.0 him- he's already big and bad enough.
counting 2.0's, all the Alara Walkers are technically in standard except him
(Tezz art spoiled for Besieged if you hadn't seen it yet)

Based ONLY on the tagline, thats what I can guess at-- things like Duals and Color-Hate will probably be in once again, but the tagline doesn't specially suggest them.

I always underestimate the ability of people to speculate based on absolutely no information. And I'm always wrong.
Which ones? They all seem to have pretty much the core of their color down, or at least a part of it. And in M11 at least part of the set was tailored around their abilities, to make them even more representative of the core set colors.

Okay, I admit, it's mostly personal preference. The abilities are all right, but the characters themselves bother me.

I've never really liked Liliana. I can't say exactly why. The fact that her name is just an anagram of Villainess I find extremely silly though. Since the recent influx of vampire cards have given me a reason to like Black (not because they're vampires, but because I like the cheap cards and lifelink and stuff), I'd nominate Sorin Markov, but I don't think his abilities and cost fit right for an iconic Core Planeswalker.

Garruk bothers me. Rarely do you see his beastman archetype in Green. You see beasts a lot, but no big huge men like him. I might prefer someone more like Nissa Revane, but I don't like that she has an ability that wants you to have another card. Elves are a lot more iconically Green than generic big guy, even if he is all about the big creatures and stuff.

Chandra and Jace don't bother me, though I'd be fine to see their Lorwyn versions switched out for something.

My number one issue, however, is and has always been with Ajani Goldmane. While cat people show up in white a notable few times, they do not even come close to representing the color to me. As soon as Elspeth was introduced, I was hoping she would replace him. While humans may not have appeared in every set (Lorwyn, hmmm, I wonder if that has anything to do with it), knights in shining armor are practically the symbol of White.

Meanwhile, Ajani had his first canonical appearance as Red-White. Elspeth is the perfect image of white so far, at least on her cards (haven't kept up on the stories), and I still feel should have replaced Ajani as the Core White Planeswalker as soon as she was introduced.

It's the White Planeswalker that really makes me feel like they've kept with the tradition for tradition's sake. It's not like they can't just invent new versions of the Planeswalkers (or new ones entirely) anymore.

It'd be awesome to see a Red Dragon Planeswalker or a Blue Sphinx Planeswalker or something.
I find it amusing that if I align myself with the forces of good, I receive the card that appeals more to my baser instincts.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

I find the fact that there will be two prerelease cards unfair because I want both of them. I hope that the stores in my (sort of) local area run the prereleases different days of the weekend.
I always underestimate the ability of people to speculate based on absolutely no information. And I'm always wrong.

Doesn't the word "underestimate" already say that you are "wrong". (making your second sentence redundant)

btw the promo Hero of Bladehold has terrible art. Her boobs are pretty much on her shoulders.
I am definitely going Phyrexian for the Prerelease.  Glissa, the Traitor definitely seems the stronger of the two prerelease cards.  I hope that Glissa is an indication that green and black will have a much stronger focus on artifacts in this set.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
The Mirrodin aligned card is way too skinny. It looks like she has been starving for days.
The Phyrexian Glissa bugs me. She is a bit too different from the art spoiled before in the site that we thought would be her. Can still be her, though.

Thopter Assembly is an awesome card, I love it. But the art is quite confusing.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Is it wrong that I want to declare myself Phyrexian at the prerelease just so I can have a new EDH general?
Is it wrong that I want to declare myself Phyrexian at the prerelease just so I can have a new EDH general?

Don't feel too bad, I'm doing that too. Although I have declared myself phyrexian but I have been in need of a multicolored general for a while now.

And The art that was spoiled a few weeks ago is the art for this card it just this is the prerelease art.

If you think that's a bad motivation, imagine why somebody might come prepared to fight for the sake of Hero of Bladehold.

Which, by the way, has the worst art in Magic in the past fifteen years or so. 
I would probably choose the Mirran card simply because it fits perfectly in one of my decks, although I admit that in the abstract, Glissa looks cooler....
Two core sets in Standart? I hope they cut some reprints, I would hate to see the same card in M11 and M12 (but I won't be suprised....). Maybe, like someone said, they will reprint some different planeswalkers (a man can dream, right?)
btw the promo Hero of Bladehold has terrible art. Her boobs are pretty much on her shoulders.

Yeah, that card's pretty gross.

I hate it, too, because it's my kind of card. The cards I want to play always seem to get saddled with the handful of art pieces I really just don't like.
I recalled the observation in today's Card of the Day when I read about the Mocks that died during Scars of Mirrodin's development. Mocks would have been totally fair according to the Law of Land/Artifact Equivalence.

Other recent examples of the law in action:
[*] Dryad Arbor / Copper Myr[*] Exotic Orchard / Fellwar Stone[*] Shimmering Grotto / Prismatic Lens

I would probably choose the Mirran card simply because it fits perfectly in one of my decks, although I admit that in the abstract, Glissa looks cooler....
Two core sets in Standart? I hope they cut some reprints, I would hate to see the same card in M11 and M12 (but I won't be suprised....). Maybe, like someone said, they will reprint some different planeswalkers (a man can dream, right?)

M10 and M11 have a lot of the same cards and shared time in Standard for a three month period, so expect some carryover from M11 to M12 as well.

I agree that it would make sense for them to swap out at least a couple of planeswalkers for the purposes of variety.
Regarding the cake, my "Groom's Cake" at my wedding was made by a friend who is in the pastry making business.  But I asked her to make a cake of a Dinosaur fighting a Robot.  Not only did she make a city-scape for them to battle battle in, but the entire thing was edible!  The Dinosaur and Robot were made from rice-krispie treats!
But nobody cut it, and it was stale by the time I got back from my honeymoon.  So no one ever got to taste it's greatness! 
omg you should have just cut it and eaten it.
it's what cakes are made for.
Sign In to post comments