Magic in KrynnSpace and moons of Krynn

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I finally got my hands on "KrynnSpace," but I found it neglected one of the more important questions:  What happens to the magic of a (color)-robed mage when he leaves the surface of Krynn and ventures into Wild Space?  Does the phase of the moons still affect the relative power level of the mage?

Also, is it the phase as observed from Krynn, or the phase as observed from the mage's position in the sphere?  What happens when the mage leaves the sphere?  Is the relative level still tied to the positions of the moons? 

Or do the moons cease to have influence once you leave the surface of Krynn?
I could be going crazy but if I recall correctly the phases of the moons definitely continue to effect you in wildspace (so long as you remain in the sphere) just like they would if you were on the surface of the planet.

I don't remember what happens when you leave the sphere but I think it was explained in a different book.

I finally got my hands on "KrynnSpace," but I found it neglected one of the more important questions:  What happens to the magic of a (color)-robed mage when he leaves the surface of Krynn and ventures into Wild Space?  Does the phase of the moons still affect the relative power level of the mage?

Also, is it the phase as observed from Krynn, or the phase as observed from the mage's position in the sphere?  What happens when the mage leaves the sphere?  Is the relative level still tied to the positions of the moons? 

I've never been able to find anything in the SJR7 Krynnspace accessory that expains this, but trying to work out the angles of the moons from every world in the sphre (and every section of the Planetary Display Map) would be a logistical nightmare.

And ruling that the moons of magic only had power over the planet Krynn, would really reduct the power of the three gods of magic.

I would be inclined to do the same thing as Argy, within the sphere, with one exception:

I think that there should be an additional benifit for Wizards of High Sorcery that actually visit their own moon (in the same way that clerics can gain benifits from being on holy ground - or unholy ground).

Outside of Krynnspace I would treat Wizards of High Sorcery in a similar way to clerics and "cut them off" from the Moons of Magic. I'm not sure I would hobble them to the same extent as a cleric, but perhaps they could be permanantly at Low Sanction.Undecided

One interesting thing about Spelljammer is the fact that there are rules in CGR1 for takign a deity into a new sphere. I would be inclined towards allowing Wizards of High Sorcery to do the same thing, but in their case, I would argue that they need to find a moon (or three moons) that are unclaimed by local gods and spend a year performing rituals that will allow Solinari, Lunitari or Nuitari (or all three) to claim the moons and gain the ability to influence magic within the new sphere.

Since the 2008 forum changes I have spent more time on The Piazza than on Wizards of the Coast's forums. The Piazza's Campaign Settings area has since grown to cover more than 30 different campaign settings and its rules area (called The Crunchy Bits) has grown to cover 10 different RPG systems, including clone systems like Pathfinder and C&C and a free to download retro-clone built at The Piazza called Dark Dungeons.

Beyond the Moons: The official Spelljammer website Spelljammer Forum: The Piazza's forum dedicated to Spelljammer Spelljammer Wiki: The encyclopedia of Spelljammer

I've never been able to find anything in the SJR7 Krynnspace accessory that expains this, but trying to work out the angles of the moons from every world in the sphre (and every section of the Planetary Display Map) would be a logistical nightmare.

And ruling that the moons of magic only had power over the planet Krynn, would really reduct the power of the three gods of magic.

I would be inclined to do the same thing as Argy, within the sphere, with one exception:

I think that there should be an additional benifit for Wizards of High Sorcery that actually visit their own moon (in the same way that clerics can gain benifits from being on holy ground - or unholy ground).

Outside of Krynnspace I would treat Wizards of High Sorcery in a similar way to clerics and "cut them off" from the Moons of Magic. I'm not sure I would hobble them to the same extent as a cleric, but perhaps they could be permanantly at Low Sanction.

One interesting thing about Spelljammer is the fact that there are rules in CGR1 for takign a deity into a new sphere. I would be inclined towards allowing Wizards of High Sorcery to do the same thing, but in their case, I would argue that they need to find a moon (or three moons) that are unclaimed by local gods and spend a year performing rituals that will allow Solinari, Lunitari or Nuitari (or all three) to claim the moons and gain the ability to influence magic within the new sphere.

It would have to be three moons. Krynn religion/magic/society ultimately is about balance. If a single moon were dedicated to Solinari, for example, something would have to balance the scales again, be it destruction of said moon or others in that sphere being likewise blessed.