The Quest For Ula's Tribal

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am a very naughty boy. I've had this deck cooking for a while, finally got the pieces in the mail yesterday, had an hour to throw an initial version together last night, and went to bed thinking "This is crap. It doesn't even deserve to be an initial version. Why didn't I throw this on the forum a week or two back?". So, yes, this will teach me for not consulting the forum's wise sages first before purchasing the actual cards!

At any rate, here's the brief. Quest for Ula's Temple. To fit my playgroup's tribal format.
For those who can't remember the format / can't be bothered, the deal is that I'm allowed a playset of anything of the chosen tribe (in this case four tribes, but they'll allow it), and singletons of anything else (including non-basic land).

The Quest For Ula's Tribal v0.1

A few problems with the initial build.
Obviously, I've thrown all the non-basics in to ensure that I can hardcast Wrexial whenever I feel like it. I was planning on throwing some black removal in too, and ran out of time/room. At the very least, Induce Despair belongs in here.
I was also going to throw in things that help us cope with fliers, such as Levitation - Stormtide is still going to let fliers through, and last I checked, Magic had not printed any flying Octopi.
Oh, and I've got a Sensei's Divining Top that really should have made it in here.
So, folks, what goes, and what comes in?
Thanks in advance!
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Have you considered Grozoth to help you get the Inktides out? I run a similar deck, but with early play creatures like the owls that let you scry to provide defense. Incredibly powerful when I get a first turn Ula and power it up quickly, not so great when I don't. It's fun though.
I did ponder Grozoth initially, kind of. Ish.
To be honest, I actually had all of the beef lying around already, apart from the Stormtides (which I wanted to try simply out of curiosity anyway). I don't have any Grozoths ATM, so I'd have to source them.
Mind you, that's not to discount them entirely. Really, the Benthic Behemoths are the last two creature slots - they're there simply because I have them, and they keep working with a Stormtide out. Grozoth may or may not be a better option here - dropping one and picking four Inkwells out of the library would be a whole bag of fun.
Likely to be a "let's give it a run, and see if it can be improved with Grozoths" thing.

Personally, I'd swap out a certain Serpent for a certain Leviathan, although that admittedly means splashing green.  Kederekt Leviathan might be a good card to add in here as an on-theme board-sweep.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

I'd focus a little more on getting the quest and powering up the quest, and less on the fatties. I have a Ula's deck and it only runs 8 fatties (4x Stormtide, 4x Inkwell)... One or two ends the game usually (especially inkwell since he's hard to remove), no need to have 5 on the battlefield ^^. Well, it might be harder for you since you can only run one ofs if it isn't of the tribe... but I'd still get those: Enlightened tutor, Idyllic Tutor, Sage of epityr, Sage Owl, Spire Owl, Augury Owl, Crystal ball, Dizzy spell (another tutor), Clockspinning, and "creature counterspells" like Spiketail hatchling, Spiketail Drakeling, Spellstutter sprite, ...

Just some ideas off the top of my head... I understand it's harder to build a good deck when you can't have 4 ofs of everything, but I'd really cut the fatties to 12 or less.

Edit: Just realised it's multiplayer... Well I guess 1-2 fatties don't end the games by themselves Something to consider anyway imo.
Personally, I'd swap out a certain Serpent for a certain Leviathan, although that admittedly means splashing green.  Kederekt Leviathan might be a good card to add in here as an on-theme board-sweep.

Oh snap. How'd I miss Simic Sky Swallower? Don't have him right now, but he solves our problems with fliers and is a beatstick in his own right. Well worth borking up manabases for.

One of my buddies was running Kederekt in his version, and kept flipping it with Ula's Temple when he wanted beatsticks rather than resets - while it's got a gorgeous ability, it's a bit problematic in an Ula's Temple deck.

Hmm, more good suggestions.

So, to get something with a little more protection and utility, maybe the following?

Removing Ur-Golem's Eye, Worn Powerstone, Explorer's Scope, Foresee.
+1 Levitation
+1 Crystal Ball
+1 Induce Despair
+1 Doom Blade

Clockspinning is very, very tempting also, but not sure what else to yoink for it. Really at a premium, given that I'm trying to leave in enough options to get counters on the Quest and have enough mana acceleration to be able to drop the fatties the hard way if I need to.
Elixir is still the only recursion method, and Discombobulate is still the only way to stop a pesky artifact or enchantment. Hmm...

4xDeep-Sea Kraken
not Clockspinning, Thrummingbird
Soothsaying, Scroll Rack
some tutors? Dizzy Spell (since it finds the temple/soothsaying), , Diabolic Vision, Demonic Tutor, Beseech the Queen, Diabolic Tutor, etc.

also, you should run Seal of Doom over Doom Blade (rattlesnake cards are better in MP than Spider cards, until you get near the end of the game).

Wonder over Levitation, or perhaps Phyrexian Splicer.

Budget EDH:EDH on $20 a Deck. Join the Group

Can you explain the "rattlesnake" and "spider" terminology?
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Can you explain the "rattlesnake" and "spider" terminology?

Check the end of the article.

Budget EDH:EDH on $20 a Deck. Join the Group

Except for the lack of islands I would think Soldevi Excavations might be of some help possibly?
Heck yes @ Soldevi Excavations, Scroll Rack and Soothsaying. I've realized I haven't got the Top in yet, either. So out with some of the one-shot scrying and the worst non-basic for these four. -1 Telling Time -1 Ponder -1 Preordain -1 Waterveil Cavern I think I've got a Seal of Doom, too - better check that one. ;) Deep-Sea Kraken is another sexy Kraken option I don't yet own... oh the critters I can source! Also, just discovered that if I eventually splash green for Simic Sky Swallower, I have a use for Invert the Skies. Hooray! Finally, I also have Predator, Flagship. Think that one's going in instead of Levitation.

Updating the decklist up top to accomodate the necessary raft of changes. ;)

Sign In to post comments