11/30/2010 LI: "All the News that's Fit to Imprint"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I actually don't see much use for Semblance Anvil in constructed either.  I made a deck that tried to get the anvil out in order to make my stuff pretty much free.  After a few rounds with it though, I never found a time when it would be worth it to put it out.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I would like to say that I did win a draft recently off of semblance Anvil. I did have a steel hellkite, Darksteel Juggernaut (foiled) and a kuldotha forgemaster (very underatted) also leading the charge but semblance anvil lead to a few turn 4 hellkites or a juggernaut after missing a land drop. That being said I'd take myr reservoir over it any day of the week 
I picked up a semblance anvil in my last draft and had the opportunity to imprint a leaden myr to make both creatures and artifacts cheaper.  This let me cast my 3 skinrenders for BB each, as well as numerous other discounts.  Unfortunately, I was only able to assemble that combo in one game of one match, so I just don't think it's a great limited strategy.
I don't mean to troll, but I don't feel like we have had a really usualful limited article in a while.  I read them, and I generally like Steve Sadin, but I have to admit just watching walk throughs on say, Channelfireball have been a lot more interesting then Sadin's articles of late.  I have been reading LI for a long time but a lot of times now I just skim... doesn't feel like new content for some time.  Maybe more walk throughs would be nice?  Again, I hold Steve in the highest of respects, but I just don't feel the articles have been... well... interesting
I don't mean to troll, but I don't feel like we have had a really usualful limited article in a while.  I read them, and I generally like Steve Sadin, but I have to admit just watching walk throughs on say, Channelfireball have been a lot more interesting then Sadin's articles of late.  I have been reading LI for a long time but a lot of times now I just skim... doesn't feel like new content for some time.  Maybe more walk throughs would be nice?  Again, I hold Steve in the highest of respects, but I just don't feel the articles have been... well... interesting

Well an imprint theme week isn't exactly conducive to a fantastic limited article.

The fact that either Steve or Wizards (I'm guessing wizards) has decided that the target audience for LI is people who draft once every 2 months at FNM doesn't really lead to limited articles that are nearly as instructive as something like a Ochoa or LSV draft walkthrough would be for those of us who already know things like "sometimes in limited you don't want to pay kicker."

The fact that either Steve or Wizards (I'm guessing wizards) has decided that the target audience for LI is people who draft once every 2 months at FNM doesn't really lead to limited articles that are nearly as instructive as something like a Ochoa or LSV draft walkthrough would be for those of us who already know things like "sometimes in limited you don't want to pay kicker."

I don't think WotC catering to less experienced players is necessarily a bad thing.  There aren't really any sites out there that caters to beginning players, teaching them the basics of limited.  I learned to play limited by reading pick order articles and their discussion on why some cards are better than others.  But of course, no one writes those articles anymore coz everybody knows that stuff already.  It's all draft walkthrough and match reports nowadays, which I think isn't much good for those who don't already have a basic grasp of limited.

I don't think WotC catering to less experienced players is necessarily a bad thing.  There aren't really any sites out there that caters to beginning players.  I learned to play limited by reading pick order articles and their discussion on why some cards are better than others.  But of course, no one writes those articles anymore coz everybody knows that stuff already.  It's all draft walkthrough and match reports nowadays, which I think isn't much good for those who don't have a basic grasp of limited down already.

I'm not so much complaining about it (although my post may come across that way), as I am observing that the "Steve Sadin articles are boring and he should do draft walkthroughs" complaint that appears in every one of these threads is directly related to his column being targeted at new drafters. This is definitely an important niche, and there really isn't anything objectionable to focusing the articles on this site towards the casual-fnm demographic, its not like there's any shortage of tournament reports and draft walkthroughs on the web. But if you aim at having LI be a series for new players, there's naturally going to be a point where people who draft a lot "outgrow it", which was more the point I was trying to get across with my post.

I do have a bit of a problem with Steve doing theme weeks. Nobody really needs a "these are some rares with imprint that do nothing, here are 2 that are good." Especially when the theme is a mechanic that only shows up at uncommon/rare and doesn't really impact limited at all, it doesn't seem worth writing about. I understand following the theme for the kind of marginal value mechanics we get in every set (kicker, cycling, level-up, etc.) since these usually have card evaluation implications that aren't obvious to people who haven't drafted much, but I'm not really sure what you can say about something like imprint other then its on some cards.
Maybe a better question would be should everyone one of them be targeted at new players?  Seems like a mix might be better.  It feels like the same kind of analysis each week (even in a theme week like this - which I agree, probably shouldn't be a LI article anyway), and even a new player would get tired of it.  Maybe I'm just hoping he will deversify his type of articles more
When compared with cards like Golem Artisan, Saberclaw Golem, or Molder Beast—which are admittedly, pretty good things to do with five mana in this format—Clone Shell looks pretty weak.

I would be pretty happy if I were able to imprint something like a Saberclaw Golem onto my Clone Shell. I could immediately chump block to get my 4/2 that I can give first strike to.

To the author or the editor: this article uses the word "pretty" way too often.
When compared with cards like Golem Artisan, Saberclaw Golem, or Molder Beast—which are admittedly, pretty good things to do with five mana in this format—Clone Shell looks pretty weak.

I would be pretty happy if I were able to imprint something like a Saberclaw Golem onto my Clone Shell. I could immediately chump block to get my 4/2 that I can give first strike to.

To the author or the editor: this article uses the word "pretty" way too often.