Fixed card sets, please!

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi WotC!

I like Gamma World.
I like the new (card-based) mechanics for Alpha-Mutations and Omega-Tech.


What i don't like:
Randomly distributed cards in booster expansions.


What i'd like to see (and yes, BUY):
Fixed card sets with (non-random) cards, same style as LCGs are distributed.


Who's with me on that?
No argument here ... not that anyone from WotC is going to see (or even listen) this post.

Mind you ... they could always prove me wrong ...

Fixed cards could also be printed for existing or new areas. I for 1 would buy them.
GMT +10 (Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ....)
+1 from me as well.

I'm not into the collectable aspect of the game. That is the single most glaring flaw in how the new game's philosophy doesn't match that of my gaming group. My group has no interest in buying game products, and they leave that to their DM (me). So, there isn't a reason for our group to have a collectable card market, since we all share this stuff. It just costs me more money because I have to buy a bunch of duplicate cards I don't want in order to get a set of cards that I do want.

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

I agree 100%! In fact, this would be the only way that they could get me to buy cards. I'm not into RPG's because I like CCGs; and I'm not into Gamma World to buy booster packs. I don't play Magic for a reason, so leave the CCG component out of my RPGs.

I do like the idea of the cards as mutations and items, but I will not be spending money on booster packs and neither will my players. If they were smart they'd just offer the set at a price and be done with it.
Yes, complete decks - whether a complete 'atom' set or two sets, one Alpha, one Omega (with different backs!) - would be a big improvement.   The 'fun' of collecting cards is lost on a lot of us.

 

 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Indeed, not that there's anything wrong with Magic: The Gathering or the other WotC products, RPGs are not meant to be turned into a "spend $3,000.00" in an attempt to collect all the rares. If I see foil versions of the cards show up, I might go a bit ballistic.

The idea of using cards for powers was an awesome move, but it should have been handled more like Dominion, Ascension, The Game of Thrones, or Thunderstone. Nowhere in anyone's right mind is the M:TG method of card distribution any fun for an RPG gamer.

Though there are exceptions to that rule, my wife would probably knock the crap out of me if I bought the number of packs required to get 1 of every card, let alone 5 commons, 3 uncommons, and 1 rares for each of the cards...
Rather than tiny little boosters, i'd prefer to get boxed card sets, for sure.

Each set should come with a theme, too :D


If they really wanted to split it up, maybe they could do each 'set' as... say.. 100 cards, and then offer them as packs of 25. 
Yes, add my name to the list of people asking for fixed card sets. I'm not a big fan of CCGs - although that might be because the one that I got interested in... nobody plays and it isn't made anymore.
 
i will sign this petition gladly.
we all know why it is the way it is though, right? the assumption being those who buy these cards would buy more of them if they were randomized and making some cards rarer than others than if these cards were sold outright. they do the same thing with their minis.

i don't begrudge them for this, afterall we are talking about a pretty specialized good marketed to a pretty narrow demographic. any sort of petition or grumblings on a forum won't change anything if ultimately this is a marketing model that works. a petition in and of itself is ineffectual if consumers are still going to be buying the product.

that being said, i'd prefer the option to buy the whole set of cards lock, stock, and barrel too. unfortunately i probably fall into the minority that wouldn't buy the cards any other way than outright. there's always the possibility that once they get the impression they've milked the collectable market they'll release a complete set. hard to say if there'll be the same enthusiasm for the game at that point though.
I could get behind this on the condition that they don't pull the booster packs as a "redundant product" or some bullshit. Granted I just got GW, but it seems like the boosters fit the random nature and all that. I actually kinda wanna try a GW duels where players draft their deck. Plus I've been a CCG junkie for like a decade now

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
If I see foil versions of the cards show up, I might go a bit ballistic.


Actually, I'd prefer this to the current model. At least if the rares were only foil versions of the uncommon cards (for example), it'd be easier to collect a set of cards to play the game. Then the foil cards could keep the collectable element for those that want it (and WotC's coffers) and the rest of us could collect a set of usable cards for a reasonable price.

that being said, i'd prefer the option to buy the whole set of cards lock, stock, and barrel too. unfortunately i probably fall into the minority that wouldn't buy the cards any other way than outright. there's always the possibility that once they get the impression they've milked the collectable market they'll release a complete set. hard to say if there'll be the same enthusiasm for the game at that point though.

I have not and will not ever buy boosters.  I will buy a complete set if it's ever offered.  We're not the only ones.  That's untapped market.  That's money they're losing.  That doesn't even count the money they're losing from all the folks that won't touch the game this time around for hatred of CCGs.

And, yes, if they put enough delay between the booster release and the complete deck release, vanishingly few folks will actually 'wait for the decks.'  Some may even buy both.



 

 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

that being said, i'd prefer the option to buy the whole set of cards lock, stock, and barrel too. unfortunately i probably fall into the minority that wouldn't buy the cards any other way than outright. there's always the possibility that once they get the impression they've milked the collectable market they'll release a complete set. hard to say if there'll be the same enthusiasm for the game at that point though.

I have not and will not ever buy boosters.  I will buy a complete set if it's ever offered.  We're not the only ones.  That's untapped market.  That's money they're losing.  That doesn't even count the money they're losing from all the folks that won't touch the game this time around for hatred of CCGs.

And, yes, if they put enough delay between the booster release and the complete deck release, vanishingly few folks will actually 'wait for the decks.'  Some may even buy both.



Give it time. Considering that WotC seems to have deceided that the game is done after three boxed sets... I would imagine that you'll be able to find complete card sets on ebay pretty cheap eventually. Either that, or dirt cheep booster boxes like you see for other small-market CCGs.
There is "kind" of a solution to collecting a bunch of booster packs. Theese guys:
store02.prostores.com/servlet/auggiesgam...
sell individual cards and have complete sets on ebay as well. (admittedly VERY expensive for the 120 card set... I'm not buying it) But .25 a card for commons isn't a bad alternative to ending up with a bunch of duplicates from booster packs.
Thinking about it, there are no additional booster sets planned, are there? When the game first released, I was under the impression for some reason that each box set was going to have it's own set of cards, but given the rapid release of the three boxes...

Then again, at first, I had thought each box was going to cover a ten level bracket.
Sign In to post comments