Gamma Frontiers :)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

One possible take on playing Star Frontiers using the new Gamma World.  Create your PC pretty much the way you would for standard Gamma World with the following tweaks.  Skills were name changed just for aesthetics---they still do the same thing as in GW.

Select a race:

Humans: Treat as Engineered Human but with no other origin.  Have novice, utility and expert abilities at the appropriate level and gain Engineered Human Traits.  Human PCs select a profession instead of rolling at creation.   

Vrusk: +4 to Interaction/–4 to Stealth.  Treat as Cockroach/Hypercognitive.
You’re a bug person with great understanding of social interactions.  Your instinctive understanding of society lets you often project what a being or group of beings will do before they do it.

Dralasites: +4 to Insight/–2 to Speed.  Treat as Empath/Gravity Controller.
You’re a blobby being with elasticy skin.  You emit pheromones that can help and hinder and are in tune with your emotional surroundings.  Your alien race’s love of puns and bad jokes can literally be physically painful to those who aren’t used to it.

Yazirians: -4 to Constitution Score/+4 to Acrobatics.  Treat as Hawkoid/Yeti.
You’re a monkey being with a chip on your shoulder and wing-like membranes beneath your arms.  Your species enjoys picking fights but aren’t very hearty and hale.  Regardless, you’ll continue to pick fights

Mechanons: -4 Interaction/+4 Technology.  Treat as Android/Electrokinetic. 
You are a sentient robot from an inscrutable race of sentient robots.  Like woman, you are a mystery.

Osakar: +4 to Pan-Galactopedia/-4 Interaction.  Treat as Speedster/Plant.
You are a mobile plant-like alien polyglot walking about on big spidery legs.
People just don’t understand you.

Ifshnit: +8 to Interaction/-8 Acrobatics.  Treat as Seismic/Rat Swarm.
You are a dwarf-like humanoid from a race known for its financier prowess.
If there’s a deal to be made, you’re likely the one making it.

Humma:  -4 to Interaction/+4 Acrobatics.  Treat as Doppelganger/Felinoid.
You are a kangaroo-looking alien, born to cause trouble and tear ass around the universe.  You bounce around so quickly people think there are two of you. 

Roll for your Profession (Humans can choose a profession) :
1. Tech:  +4 bonus to Technology checks
2. Scientist:  +4 bonus to Science checks
3. Explorer: +4 to Nature checks
4. Military: +4 to Athletics checks
5. Medic: A successful Science check stabilizes dying characters and allows them to use a Second Wind (multiple uses of second wind are allowed in this case). 
6. Diplomat: +4 to Interaction checks
7. Scoundrel: +4 to Stealth
8. Philosopher: +4 to Insight
9. Student: +4 to Pan-Galactopedia
10.  Jack of All Trades: +1 to any check

Skills:
Acrobatics
Athletics
Pan-Galactopedia = Gamma World Conspiracy
Insight
Interaction
Technology
Nature
Perception
Science
Stealth

Advancement By Level (as Gamma World except):
1. Origin traits, novice power for each origin.
2. Critical hit benefit.
3. Origin utility power
4. Select a new profession and apply its bonus(es) immediately.
5. Origin expert power
6. Second critical hit benefit/Humans select a new profession
7. Second utility power/Humans get +10 HP this time instead of +5
8. Select a new profession and apply its bonus(es) immediately.
9. Second expert power/Human origin expert power is now twice per encounter
10.  Ignore any race-based negative modifiers for your character.  Humans add 10 to HP Total.

Starter Bestiary:
Sathar:  +10 to Interaction.  Treat as Mind Coercer/Mind Breaker.
You are a shadowy vermiform species known for ineffective frontal military strategies.  Still, Sathar infiltration and mind control spawn justified paranoia throughout the Frontier.  Why do you hate freedom so much?

Now, my weird protogame experience can be complete!

Great idea!
Great idea!  Definitely something to revisit next month with the 20 new origins in Famine in Far-Go.  Pre guessing based on upcoming list:

* Dralasites: Both Gelatinous and Shapeshifter sound promising.  Maybe even both depending how they interact.
* Yazirians: Simian might be less uber-thug then a Yeti.
* Ifshnit: Prescient might work for the financial advisor thing.  If Alien covers "little green men" sort of characters then it could also work.
* Osakar: Arachnoid sounds the most potential, replacing Speedster.
* Humma: From the existing origins I'd think Speedster before Doppelganger...

* S'sessu: Dragon magazine race that looked just like a Sathar but weren't crazy mind controller types, would probably be Hypercognitive (or Prescient if it turns out better) and erm...  Actually both Sathar and S'sessu I could almost see Rat Swarm to represent their wierd biology.  In Sathar case I'd think instead of Mind Breaker.
Great idea!  Definitely something to revisit next month with the 20 new origins in Famine in Far-Go.  Pre guessing based on upcoming list:

* Dralasites: Both Gelatinous and Shapeshifter sound promising.  Maybe even both depending how they interact.
* Yazirians: Simian might be less uber-thug then a Yeti.
* Ifshnit: Prescient might work for the financial advisor thing.  If Alien covers "little green men" sort of characters then it could also work.
* Osakar: Arachnoid sounds the most potential, replacing Speedster.
* Humma: From the existing origins I'd think Speedster before Doppelganger...

* S'sessu: Dragon magazine race that looked just like a Sathar but weren't crazy mind controller types, would probably be Hypercognitive (or Prescient if it turns out better) and erm...  Actually both Sathar and S'sessu I could almost see Rat Swarm to represent their wierd biology.  In Sathar case I'd think instead of Mind Breaker.

Will definitely give this another look once I've got Far-Go in hand.  Like you point out, there look to be some great expanded ideas like gelatinous----wonder what that does?

I had thought about adding the S'sessu and the Saurians but held off for now.  The reasons I went with doppelganger for the humma were to avoid duplication of ability (already had a speedster) and it's actually reskinning the duplication effect as their kangaroo hopping schtick in combat.  But any combination that feels right to you and your group works

Some card mechanics I would propose (since the normal random ones would be pretty off for Star Frontiers):
===================================

Player Decks
- - - - - - - - -
There is no minimim to player deck size or card duplication, since both decks represent gear aquired in play.  If the player has some awesome personal card he wants to use, the GM is encouraged to work some adventure opportunities in which it can be found into the campaign.

Alpha Cards
- - - - - - - - -
* Cutting edge bio tech and wierd semi-organic artifacts.  They can be traded, sold, or dropped like any piece of gear.
* They have to be aquired in play (mostly as treasure) and you start with none usually.
* You pick which one (or more if you qualify for multiple) you have readied from your collection during a rest.
* When actually used in battle an Alpha card has to be checked for being expended the same as Omegas normally do.  If expended it broken/dormant, but can be reactivated/repaired with a Nature check (DC 10 for common, DC 15 for uncommon, DC 20 for rare).

Omega Cards
- - - - - - - - - -
* Conventional science fiction technology.  Normal gear for these guys.
* They have to be aquired in play (as treasure or from stores), and you start with 2 uncommon and 4 common ones.
* You can ready all they you have, as long as their slots (and plain logic) don't contradict.
* Salvage works sort of "backwards": Any level character can freely use a card with salvage stats as a piece of equipment using those stats.  If they choose to use the normal stats (Full Power!) they risk burning it out (expending it) per the normal chances.  An expended item immediately becomes unsalvageable junk, however a hard skill check at its salvage level in difficulty can be used to repair it (check Technology for Area 52, Science for Ishtar, and the average of Tech & Science for Xi).

Alpha Flux
- - - - - - - -
Doesn't exist in the normal fashion.  Rolling a 1 (or whatever the current flux chance is) when using an Alpha or Omega card destroys it permanently (no salvage or repair).

Love that game!!!!! I miss it can you still buy it? Always liked Chill and Time Masters also....
Love that game!!!!! I miss it can you still buy it? Always liked Chill and Time Masters also....

Star Frontiers has been off the grid since Zebulon's Guide to Frontier Space in 1985. D20 Future (a D20 Modern supplement) statted up the core races (dralasites, vrusk, yazirians) in 2004 and had a mini-setting that reflected a certain style of old campaign.

Maybe if GW does well though WotC/Hasbro will consider dragging out some of their other old properties. Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, and Gangbusters would all be funny to encounter again. Actually now that I think about it the latter two could be a great match for the kind of free-willing short-campaign don't-get-to-attached-to-the-characters principles the GW material is pushing now. Roll up a random hoodlum, stage a robbery, a couple of survivors escape with bags with big dollars signs on them in the end...
Serpine,  Cool ideas.  I was basically just going to either ignore cards or use them simply as reference cards for special tech the PCs had purchased, invented, found along the way or were assigned by an employer. 

Your ideas about sometimes unreliable tech brings up something the Star Frontiers on-line community used to play with: Oni-Senada.  OS is a shady fan-made mega-corporation known throughout the Frontier.  OS stuff is shoddy but it's low-cost so it still gets sold quite a bit.  Henchmen and PCs working for cheapskates notoriously get supplied with Oni-Senada gear.  Smile

Here's a link from the SF Community:
www.majestic-worlds.com/fnn/corporate/on...

Echoing Serpine's comments, Star Frontiers has been quasi-resurrected for Alternity (Dragon magazine article) and for d20 Modern's Future supplement.  Otherwise, it's been a no-go for bringing back in full force since the 1980s.

Since you mentioend Chill and Time Master, I'm wondering if you might be thinking of Star Ace.  Star Ace was Pacesetter's answer to Star Frontiers; they published Chill and Time Master, so that's why I brought them up.

Echoing Serpine's comments, Star Frontiers has been quasi-resurrected for Alternity (Dragon magazine article) and for d20 Modern's Future supplement.  Otherwise, it's been a no-go for bringing back in full force since the 1980s.

Since you mentioend Chill and Time Master, I'm wondering if you might be thinking of Star Ace.  Star Ace was Pacesetter's answer to Star Frontiers; they published Chill and Time Master, so that's why I brought them up.

You are correct....Space Ace was what I was thinking of.... the Pacestter games form the 80's. (dating my self now) But I also like Star Frontiers, Boot Hill and Gang Busters. All would make great settings and expansions....since we have the whole space/time twist thing going on just about anything can happen

Csteinhoff, I'd forgot to compliment you on your cool avatar

I also agree with both you and Serpine that it would be awesome to see retreads of the older games, revamped for 4e D&D.  Gamma World is like an RPG phoenix, though.  It comes out for awhile in a new form, goes dormant, then revives in yet another form later on.  Hopefully, the other game settings will get a chance to do the same this time.

Will definitely give this another look once I've got Far-Go in hand.

Looking them over myself now that the second book is handy this is what I would go with:

Dralasites - Gelatinous/Plastic: The new origins are just perfect.  Gelatinous gives blobness (transparency and absorption).  Plastic gives squeezing through stuff, flattening, and stretchy limbs.

Vrusk - Cockroach/Hypercognitive: Your original choices are still the best options for smart bugs.  Arachnoid is all about poison and webs so it was a big miss potential wise.

Yazirians - Simian/Hawkoid: Simian gives rage, athletics, leaping, and speed without making them huge (the original race had physical penalties).  Hawkoid still obviously gives the gliding.

Ifshnit - Empath/Prescient: Physically unimposing (more halfling then dwarf), calm, excellent hagglers that everybody just likes instantly.  This combo seems to cover it with good team skills, no big physical power, but a good ability to judge what people are up to (something helpful for a short race).

Humma - Felinoid/Yeti: Simian was really tempting, but Yeti (freed up from Yazirians) gives them physical mass (they used to have the best Str/Sta of the organics.

Mechanons - AI/Android: The new brain option seriously ups the pure robot feel.  Metal within, metal without.

Osakar - Giant/?Mythic or Wheeled?: No winning with these guys yet: Legion of Gold is adding Tentacled apparently which I'm thinking is an early lock-in for them.  They are up to 3 meters and have Str/Sta in the original rules (thus Giant), but other stuff doesn't work.  They aren't noted for speed, brain power, or wierd special effects.  They outwardly resemble plants but that would give them all sort of wierd abilities.  Shapeshifter's novice power is all wrong, as is .  Mythic might be funny since they are often religious...  By biggest temptation until LoG is actually Wheeled focusing on the speed and flailing aspects it could represent.

S'sessu - Mind Breaker/Reanimated:
Sathar - Mind Coercer/Reanimated:
We don't have anything really snakelike yet, but nothing says creepy and very alien more then pseudo-undead.  They just won't die like normal folk, and they can eat your brain when its done controlling...  Prescient or Hypercognitive would probable work better for S'sessu then Mind Breaker but I wanted to not reuse one of the ones from above and it provides an interesting direct contrast with their more manipulative cousins.
Maybe if GW does well though WotC/Hasbro will consider dragging out some of their other old properties. Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, and Gangbusters would all be funny to encounter again. Actually now that I think about it the latter two could be a great match for the kind of free-willing short-campaign don't-get-to-attached-to-the-characters principles the GW material is pushing now. Roll up a random hoodlum, stage a robbery, a couple of survivors escape with bags with big dollars signs on them in the end...

Agreed, 100%!

SF, BH, and GB are all great examples of games which should be revived, and your rationale is excellent. When I played these in the 80's (70's in the case of BH) I ran them as alternative campaigns when my players were tired of fantasy, and no one ever really expected them to be really long-term duration. They would be excellent stand-alone boxed set games! I might also add Top Secret to the list, because an espionage game of this kind would fit in quite well.

Make all of the games/rules somewhat compatible so you could have cross-over adventures. Now that would be a blast!

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

Will definitely give this another look once I've got Far-Go in hand.

Looking them over myself now that the second book is handy this is what I would go with:

Dralasites - Gelatinous/Plastic: The new origins are just perfect.  Gelatinous gives blobness (transparency and absorption).  Plastic gives squeezing through stuff, flattening, and stretchy limbs.

Vrusk - Cockroach/Hypercognitive: Your original choices are still the best options for smart bugs.  Arachnoid is all about poison and webs so it was a big miss potential wise.

Yazirians - Simian/Hawkoid: Simian gives rage, athletics, leaping, and speed without making them huge (the original race had physical penalties).  Hawkoid still obviously gives the gliding.

Ifshnit - Empath/Prescient: Physically unimposing (more halfling then dwarf), calm, excellent hagglers that everybody just likes instantly.  This combo seems to cover it with good team skills, no big physical power, but a good ability to judge what people are up to (something helpful for a short race).

Humma - Felinoid/Yeti: Simian was really tempting, but Yeti (freed up from Yazirians) gives them physical mass (they used to have the best Str/Sta of the organics.

Mechanons - AI/Android: The new brain option seriously ups the pure robot feel.  Metal within, metal without.

Osakar - Giant/?Mythic or Wheeled?: No winning with these guys yet: Legion of Gold is adding Tentacled apparently which I'm thinking is an early lock-in for them.  They are up to 3 meters and have Str/Sta in the original rules (thus Giant), but other stuff doesn't work.  They aren't noted for speed, brain power, or wierd special effects.  They outwardly resemble plants but that would give them all sort of wierd abilities.  Shapeshifter's novice power is all wrong, as is .  Mythic might be funny since they are often religious...  By biggest temptation until LoG is actually Wheeled focusing on the speed and flailing aspects it could represent.

S'sessu - Mind Breaker/Reanimated:
Sathar - Mind Coercer/Reanimated:
We don't have anything really snakelike yet, but nothing says creepy and very alien more then pseudo-undead.  They just won't die like normal folk, and they can eat your brain when its done controlling...  Prescient or Hypercognitive would probable work better for S'sessu then Mind Breaker but I wanted to not reuse one of the ones from above and it provides an interesting direct contrast with their more manipulative cousins.

Can't argue with any of your choices.  I esp. like what you've done for Dralasites   The plastic trait matches 'em perfect.