One possible take on playing Star Frontiers using the new Gamma World. Create your PC pretty much the way you would for standard Gamma World with the following tweaks. Skills were name changed just for aesthetics---they still do the same thing as in GW.
Select a race:
Humans: Treat as Engineered Human but with no other origin. Have novice, utility and expert abilities at the appropriate level and gain Engineered Human Traits. Human PCs select a profession instead of rolling at creation.
Vrusk: +4 to Interaction/–4 to Stealth. Treat as Cockroach/Hypercognitive.
You’re a bug person with great understanding of social interactions. Your instinctive understanding of society lets you often project what a being or group of beings will do before they do it.
Dralasites: +4 to Insight/–2 to Speed. Treat as Empath/Gravity Controller.
You’re a blobby being with elasticy skin. You emit pheromones that can help and hinder and are in tune with your emotional surroundings. Your alien race’s love of puns and bad jokes can literally be physically painful to those who aren’t used to it.
Yazirians: -4 to Constitution Score/+4 to Acrobatics. Treat as Hawkoid/Yeti.
You’re a monkey being with a chip on your shoulder and wing-like membranes beneath your arms. Your species enjoys picking fights but aren’t very hearty and hale. Regardless, you’ll continue to pick fights
Mechanons: -4 Interaction/+4 Technology. Treat as Android/Electrokinetic.
You are a sentient robot from an inscrutable race of sentient robots. Like woman, you are a mystery.
Osakar: +4 to Pan-Galactopedia/-4 Interaction. Treat as Speedster/Plant.
You are a mobile plant-like alien polyglot walking about on big spidery legs.
People just don’t understand you.
Ifshnit: +8 to Interaction/-8 Acrobatics. Treat as Seismic/Rat Swarm.
You are a dwarf-like humanoid from a race known for its financier prowess.
If there’s a deal to be made, you’re likely the one making it.
Humma: -4 to Interaction/+4 Acrobatics. Treat as Doppelganger/Felinoid.
You are a kangaroo-looking alien, born to cause trouble and tear ass around the universe. You bounce around so quickly people think there are two of you.
Roll for your Profession (Humans can choose a profession) :
1. Tech: +4 bonus to Technology checks
2. Scientist: +4 bonus to Science checks
3. Explorer: +4 to Nature checks
4. Military: +4 to Athletics checks
5. Medic: A successful Science check stabilizes dying characters and allows them to use a Second Wind (multiple uses of second wind are allowed in this case).
6. Diplomat: +4 to Interaction checks
7. Scoundrel: +4 to Stealth
8. Philosopher: +4 to Insight
9. Student: +4 to Pan-Galactopedia
10. Jack of All Trades: +1 to any check
Pan-Galactopedia = Gamma World Conspiracy
Advancement By Level (as Gamma World except):
1. Origin traits, novice power for each origin.
2. Critical hit benefit.
3. Origin utility power
4. Select a new profession and apply its bonus(es) immediately.
5. Origin expert power
6. Second critical hit benefit/Humans select a new profession
7. Second utility power/Humans get +10 HP this time instead of +5
8. Select a new profession and apply its bonus(es) immediately.
9. Second expert power/Human origin expert power is now twice per encounter
10. Ignore any race-based negative modifiers for your character. Humans add 10 to HP Total.
Sathar: +10 to Interaction. Treat as Mind Coercer/Mind Breaker.
You are a shadowy vermiform species known for ineffective frontal military strategies. Still, Sathar infiltration and mind control spawn justified paranoia throughout the Frontier. Why do you hate freedom so much?