Rules Q&A - Magic Rules FAQ

238 posts / 0 new
Last post
Undead Warchief's second ability applies to all Zombies on the battlefield, including itself and other Undead Warchiefs.

Its first ability applies to all Zombies being cast, but only while the Warchief itself is on the battlefield. The first one you cast won't get the discount, but any subsequent ones will.

I strongly discourage answering rules questions that are asked in this thread. Instead, clarify the purpose of this thread and ask them to post a thread of their own, possibly by quoting the first few lines of the first post in the thread.

It seems somewhat harsh in a place where we pride ourselves on being helpful, but it just encourages more posting of questions here, likely outweighing whatever good it does.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Indestructible is an ability now.  The first page of the FAQ and the Indestructible FAQ entry need to be updated to reflect this. 

Also, the keyword FAQ is missing some of the newer keywords such as Fuse, Evolve, and Cipher.

The M14 changes have made a number of changes to both this and the Keyword FAQ necessary; since I'd be editing a ton of entries anyway to correct links and the like, I'm taking the opportunity to do a bit of a general overhaul. Once my master copy is fully updated, everything will be ported over to the FAQ proper.

My spare time is limited, however, so it's taking a while. In the meantime I'll simply post some notices in the relevant sections mentioning that some of the information in them is outdated.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

The M14 changes have made a number of changes to both this and the Keyword FAQ necessary; since I'd be editing a ton of entries anyway to correct links and the like, I'm taking the opportunity to do a bit of a general overhaul. Once my master copy is fully updated, everything will be ported over to the FAQ proper.

My spare time is limited, however, so it's taking a while. In the meantime I'll simply post some notices in the relevant sections mentioning that some of the information in them is outdated.

so pretty much, M14 changed the meta?
My spare time is limited, however, so it's taking a while.

Anything i can do to help?

Anything i can do to help?

Not really, unfortunately.

Or maybe...maybe there is.

Remember this? I'm going to take the new  format used in those updated wiki entries and use that in the FAQ thread. It's just a better format overall, and if both places use the same formatting then it becomes relatively simple to keep both updated. Which is only a benefit because the views for those wiki pages seem to have continued to increase over time. (...Well, more like explode. The Double Strike entry is now at 28,091 views.)

So if you'd like to help, dive into that wiki and create/update one of the un-updated or nonexistent keyword entries.

Don't bother including the CR entries, though. I'm just going to drop those until/unless they can be automated--if the keywords are properly explained, the quote isn't necessary, and updating the quotes every time they change even if there's no functional difference is a pain.

Quick Question:

I was running a reanimator deck and used a Rise from the Grave to take control of a Seraph of Dawn from my opponent's graveyard. After my opponent's done a removal play to wench away my control of his Seraph looking all hot wearing a Deviant Glee defensively versus his other flying type cards; I started to put the Dawn back into his graveyard but my opponent stopped me claiming that the Dawn is to be placed in my graveyard instead.

I was certain he was mistaken and pointed this out to him but he's insist he was correct and naturally this turned into a no-argument for I was the visitor and the table was his regular gaming place.

He was running a 100+ cards black/white lifelink creature deck (mostly angels and vampires) against my Green/Black Grisly Salvage's - Unburial Rites mechanics with scavenge and aggro-type creature cards deck which made for a good match-up that went downhill quickly from a good tug-of-war to an impossible to solved lifelink steady from my deck's which had only one set of lifelink creatures (4 - Daggerdrome Imp ) at the start of the game.

If he is correct about the ruling in which he stated that once a creature was placed under the control of an opponent without any specifics of the duration printed on the card then that control lasts until the the end of the game would mean to me that I've been playing my sometimes game-winning Rise from the Grave all wrong mechanically and strategetically every since the card been release. This ruling was a stunner then and now it left my MTG's universe with a slightly  little strange feeling lingering so my question to you guys here is:

Was my opponent's ruling correct?

Who/What Am I?
"I might have been a hmmm... eh-eh well, y'kno but, instead" I'm a fighter... --
peacekeepermedc.gif -- ...not a lover. This signature concept is from "http://www.pathguy.com/index2.htm"
html_removed
What I Doing Here?
@MTG Forums. Contestant: A Contest Like No Other hosted by Fakeartist. An Angelic Aspect In The Wild, Wild World Of The Mata Hari's Agency. @DnD Forums. Digital Artist In Training: What Do YOU Think MY Character Looks Like's Thread - @4e Character Development forum. Player (Osborn) - Bounty Hunter (Fighter DnDNext): DnD presents The Walking Dead @Play By Post Forum. Player (Shana Zorus) - Professional Bodyguard/Adventurer (Hybrid Warden/Paladin 4e): The Unhallowed Gate @Play By Post Haven Forum (DM by ffShadow) Player (Krist Breeze) - Twiceborn War Mage/Imbuer (Hybrid Warlord/Wizard 4e): Castle Greyhawk - @Real Adventures (DM by Icanus) Player (Blyne Munro) - Happy-Go-Lucky Scout/Explorer (Warlock 4e) Domain of Shadows-Darkness Falls - Play By Post Haven (DM by WhisperMagellan) Player (Ansmril) - Vistani Blessed Psalmist (Bard/Shaman 4e) The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good - (And I'm The DM) DM - The Young Mercenaries/Ps'V-GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Unlikely Diplomats/Ps'V- GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good/Ps'V GoodShip Diplomacy. Referee - People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Oz League: The Ardent Lord w/People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Ps'V = The Players' Vault Forum Group In Which I'm The Owner Of.

Please create a new thread. The FAQ thread is not the correct place to ask questions.

In any event: cards can only go to their owner's graveyard. Your opponent owns the angel, so it goes to his graveyard.
400.3. If an object would go to any library, graveyard, or hand other than its owner's, it goes to its owner's corresponding zone.

Please create a new thread. The FAQ thread is not the correct place to ask questions.

In any event: cards can only go to their owner's graveyard. Your opponent owns the angel, so it goes to his graveyard.
400.3. If an object would go to any library, graveyard, or hand other than its owner's, it goes to its owner's corresponding zone.

Thank you, and in the future I will create a thread to ask questions. (I didn't know of this procedures)

Who/What Am I?
"I might have been a hmmm... eh-eh well, y'kno but, instead" I'm a fighter... --
peacekeepermedc.gif -- ...not a lover. This signature concept is from "http://www.pathguy.com/index2.htm"
html_removed
What I Doing Here?
@MTG Forums. Contestant: A Contest Like No Other hosted by Fakeartist. An Angelic Aspect In The Wild, Wild World Of The Mata Hari's Agency. @DnD Forums. Digital Artist In Training: What Do YOU Think MY Character Looks Like's Thread - @4e Character Development forum. Player (Osborn) - Bounty Hunter (Fighter DnDNext): DnD presents The Walking Dead @Play By Post Forum. Player (Shana Zorus) - Professional Bodyguard/Adventurer (Hybrid Warden/Paladin 4e): The Unhallowed Gate @Play By Post Haven Forum (DM by ffShadow) Player (Krist Breeze) - Twiceborn War Mage/Imbuer (Hybrid Warlord/Wizard 4e): Castle Greyhawk - @Real Adventures (DM by Icanus) Player (Blyne Munro) - Happy-Go-Lucky Scout/Explorer (Warlock 4e) Domain of Shadows-Darkness Falls - Play By Post Haven (DM by WhisperMagellan) Player (Ansmril) - Vistani Blessed Psalmist (Bard/Shaman 4e) The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good - (And I'm The DM) DM - The Young Mercenaries/Ps'V-GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Unlikely Diplomats/Ps'V- GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good/Ps'V GoodShip Diplomacy. Referee - People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Oz League: The Ardent Lord w/People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Ps'V = The Players' Vault Forum Group In Which I'm The Owner Of.

So when heritage druid activates his ability to tap three elves to gain mana if you end up tapping an arbor elf as one of those elves do you still get to use his ability to gain a mana when you tap him ? or does it cancel it and you dont get to use that mana since heritage druid is tapping him for his ability?

WalterTheShark wrote:

So when heritage druid activates his ability to tap three elves to gain mana if you end up tapping an arbor elf as one of those elves do you still get to use his ability to gain a mana when you tap him ?

Please create new threads for questions. You'll get answers in a matter of seconds instead of days.

As for your question, you can't tap the Arbor Elf to pay for both its own ability and the Heritage Druid's at the same time.

WalterTheShark wrote:

So when heritage druid activates his ability to tap three elves to gain mana if you end up tapping an arbor elf as one of those elves do you still get to use his ability to gain a mana when you tap him ? or does it cancel it and you dont get to use that mana since heritage druid is tapping him for his ability?

Would you be able to tap one forest to cast two Giant Growths? Of course not. In this situation the arbor elf is already tapped so you cannot pay for its own ability anymore.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

I'm finding the "links" on the front page only take you to the top of the same post. What's the point?

I'm gonna rip your head off and make it my puppet!!

The thread was written three years ago under board software in which those links were the proper URLs to jump to specific posts in the thread.  Earlier this year they changed forum software here.  They migrated all the old posts and threads, but the new forum software references its posts-in-threads in an entirely different way, so the links from the original post don't work properly.  THey made the software recognize links to old threads, but not to specific posts in threads - so that's why those links just jump back to the top of thread.

Hi there,
I'm new here, hope this is the right place for my question!
I use 'Savra, Queen of Colgari' as my commander and was wondering if 'Eater of hope' is useless in my deck or not! Here's the problem: If I activate the second ability of Eater of hope, does I have to tell my target before I sacrifice two black creatures (and so my opponent has to sacrifice two creatures because of Savra)? And additionally: What goes first on the stack? The triggered ability of Savra or the activated ability of Eater of hope? If I have to tell my target and my opponent has to sacrifice first, he/she can just sacrifice the creature I intended to destroy with Eater of Hope! 
Thanks in advance!
Ogami_ittO

Ogami_ittO wrote:

Hi there,
I'm new here, hope this is the right place for my question!
I use 'Savra, Queen of Colgari' as my commander and was wondering if 'Eater of hope' is useless in my deck or not! Here's the problem: If I activate the second ability of Eater of hope, does I have to tell my target before I sacrifice two black creatures (and so my opponent has to sacrifice two creatures because of Savra)? And additionally: What goes first on the stack? The triggered ability of Savra or the activated ability of Eater of hope? If I have to tell my target and my opponent has to sacrifice first, he/she can just sacrifice the creature I intended to destroy with Eater of Hope! 
Thanks in advance!
Ogami_ittO

Post #1 by zammm of this thread in part...

zammm wrote:

Please do not post questions of your own here!
You should only post in this thread if you want a question or topic to be added to the list. If you do, please post both question and answer, along with an explanation of why the given answer is the correct one.
Please make your own thread if you want to get a question answered.

No.  This is not the correct spot for your question.

Rules Q&A would gain you the fastest response to a rules question.

If you have a question, please create a new thread there.  Please do not spam multiple places with your single question.

Had a quick rules question with the recent working on Deathtouch.

"Creatures dealt damage by this creature are destroyed. You can divide this creature's combat damage among any of the creatures blocking or blocked by it."

I know that, by default, a blocking creature can only block one creature unless its text says otherwise. Does the last bit infer that having deathtouch allows a creature to clock multiple creatures?

Writhani wrote:

Had a quick rules question with the recent working on Deathtouch.

"Creatures dealt damage by this creature are destroyed. You can divide this creature's combat damage among any of the creatures blocking or blocked by it."

I know that, by default, a blocking creature can only block one creature unless its text says otherwise. Does the last bit infer that having deathtouch allows a creature to clock multiple creatures?

Do not post rules questions in this thread.  Create a new thread, and then ask your quesiton.

To answer your question, no, just because a creature had deathtouch does not mean it can block more than one creature.  It means that if you can give a creature with deathtouch the ability to block more than one creature, or you give a creature that can block more than one creature deathtouch, you only need to assign one point of damage to each blocked creature to kill it.

Rules Advisor

I would like to know if the "Evil Eye of Urborg's" ability, If it becomes blocked destroy that creature that is blocking works the same as the Engulfing Slagwurms ability that states when it is blocked or blocking that creature is destroyed or is it an older version of the deathtouch ability because of the wording?

don't ask questions in here, make a new thread

proud member of the 2011 community team

Ok I have an Enchant Aura card that says, enchantment Creature (tap symbol):add 1 mana of any color.

I enchanted a Creature that says, Tap add 1 (swamp symbol). 

Do I get 2 mana if that creature is tapped? 

Basicaly can I enchant the creature and tap it to gain both the swamp and the additional mana from the Aura?

As stated above, this is not a thread for questions. Make your own thread below. 

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

ok i'm new to this game so this may seem like a dumb question but i've looked everywhere and cant find the answer. the card is Swarmborn Giant and it says "whenever Your're dealt combat damage sacrifice Swarmborn Giant" i think it means whenever I the player am dealt damage am i wrong? my brother argues that any damage dealt at all kills it that doesnt make sense to me as it also has monstrous ty in advance really enjoying the game so far

Nayrue wrote:

ok i'm new to this game so this may seem like a dumb question but i've looked everywhere and cant find the answer. the card is Swarmborn Giant and it says "whenever Your're dealt combat damage sacrifice Swarmborn Giant" i think it means whenever I the player am dealt damage am i wrong? my brother argues that any damage dealt at all kills it that doesnt make sense to me as it also has monstrous ty in advance really enjoying the game so far

Please in future create a new forum thread rather than posting in the FAQ thread.

109.5. The words “you” and “your” on an object refer to the object’s controller, its would-be controller (if a player is attempting to play, cast, or activate it), or its owner (if it has no controller). For a static ability, this is the current controller of the object it’s on. For an activated ability, this is the player who activated the ability. For a triggered ability, this is the controller of the object when the ability triggered, unless it’s a delayed triggered ability. To determine the controller of a delayed triggered ability, see rules 603.7d–f.

Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy...

Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.

Will not buy Duel 2015 until 2HG reinstated.

Grei wrote:

Orc_Welfin wrote:
 I've removed content from this thread. 

Nice to know removing content is a company wide policy.

This is so confusing, I just want to ask a question....

Am I only allowed 4 copies of a card in my deck, or can I have more but only play 4?

This is so confusing, I just want to ask a question....

Am I only allowed 4 copies of a card in my deck, or can I have more but only play 4?

Don't ask questions in here. Create a new thread.

So if I play a two golem foundries and cast an artifact spell do both cards get a counter on them?

Don't ask questions in here. Create a new thread.

It seems like the keywords added within the last year or so have not been added to the keyword thread.

Including:

Cipher

Evolve

Extort

Fuse

Bestow

Tribute

Dethrone

Outlast

Prowess

Bolster (upcoming)

Dash (upcoming)

Sadly, zammm, who maintained this FAQ, has abandoned this message board, aside from occasional posts in RT&T.

NO WAR

The Love Song Of J. Alfred Prufrock. T.S. Eliot. Read by Anthony Hopkins

Got blocked out of twitter I'm told I must provide

a mobile phone number for a text confirmation before my suspension is lifted I do not own a mobile phone

got to a help window and sent this message

my phone number is 858 483 3822 where I will confirm my identity

Hi all,

I have just started playing again, I want to know which sets i can use to make my decks from???

bensaun wrote:

Hi all,

I have just started playing again, I want to know which sets i can use to make my decks from???

First, this is an FAQ, and one that's not updated anymore. Not a place you want, or even should, ask questions. Make new threads for your questions.

Second, there's a whole subforum for new and returning players placed right under the Rules froum on the main forum page. That would have been the most appropriate place to go.

Third, on to your question. Legality of cards only really matters when you play in tournaments or in a group adhering to a specific format. Generally, in Casual play it's "anything goes", the age of the cards does not matter. The game is designed so that every card can be played together with any others, old and new. In format specific environments, the format dictates which sets and cards are legal or not. The most prominent formats are Standard and Modern.

Standard right now allows every card from every set of the last two blocks and the core sets following them. Which amounts to Theros, Born of the Gods, Journey into Nyx, M15, Khans of Tarkir, and Fate Reforged. Dragons of Tarkir and M16 will just be added to the Standard card pool. It used to be, that the first set of a new block kicked out the older of the two legal blocks in its entirety and the core set after it (so 4 sets left the format at once, while only one was added)  Do note, however, that that rotation procedure is about to change. M16 will be the last core set ever. With the release of the set after it, the entire Theros block and M15 will leave the format. From then on, every 6 month with the release of the first set of a 2-set block, the oldest two sets (one 2-set block) will leave. Obviously, that means, that the first time this happens, only Khans of Tarkir and Fate Reforged will leave, while Dragons of Tarkir and M16 will stay. One block later, Dragons of Tarkir will leave together with M16, making the transition to the new rotation cycle complete.

Modern consists of all sets from 8th edition and later. No sets leave Modern, but the format does have a banned list, so not every card in those sets is legal.

Therea are other formats like the Vintage, Legacy, Commander, Block Constructed, etc. that have different deckbuilding rules and banned/restricted lists.

Note, that any older printings or printings from special products (like Duel Decks) of format legal cards are also legal in that format.

Sign In to post comments