Rules Q&A - Magic Rules FAQ

238 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you have questions to ask, please create a new thread by going here and clicking the New Thread button.

But no, they do not untap. Vorinclex only needs to be on the battlefield at the time the lands are tapped.
if you play for example wayfarer's bauble can you sacrifice it and search your libary for a basic land card the same turn that you cast it ?

if you play for example wayfarer's bauble can you sacrifice it and search your libary for a basic land card the same turn that you cast it ?

If you have questions to ask, please create a new thread by going here and clicking the New Thread button.

But yes, you can. Wayfarer's Bauble is not a creature, so the summoning sickness rule doesn't apply to it.

[<o>]
If I play Gifts Ungiven Can I only choose two cards?
If I play Gifts Ungiven Can I only choose two cards?

From the first post in this thread:
Please do not post questions of your own here!
You should only post in this thread if you want a question or topic to be added to the list. If you do, please post both question and answer, along with an explanation of why the given answer is the correct one.
Please make your own thread if you want to get a question answered. 
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
From Gift's Gathererpage:

You can choose less than four cards if you want, but your opponent will still put two of those cards into your graveyard.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
Just want to verify... if my opponent plays his Blind Zealot, and my creature is enchanted with Spirit Mantle, if my opponent sacrifices his Blind Zealot can my creature with Spirit Mantle still be targeted? Thanks in advance..
If you have questions to ask, please create a new thread by going here and clicking the New Thread button.
 if my opponent plays his Blind Zealot , and my creature is enchanted with Spirit Mantle , if my opponent sacrifices his Blind Zealot  can my creature with Spirit Mantle  still be targeted?

Your creature cannot be targetted, so your opponent will not even be able to put blind zealot's ability on the stack. The zealot cannot be sacrificed, and your creature can't be destroyed.
If you have questions to ask, please create a new thread by going here and clicking the New Thread button.
 if my opponent plays his Blind Zealot , and my creature is enchanted with Spirit Mantle , if my opponent sacrifices his Blind Zealot  can my creature with Spirit Mantle  still be targeted?

Your creature cannot be targetted, so your opponent will not even be able to put blind zealot's ability on the stack. The zealot cannot be sacrificed, and your creature can't be destroyed.

thats what I figured but it was up for debate as my opponent was say it was a triggered ability after he sacrificed his zealot. However, I knew better but for sake of argument gave him the move anyways. I still finished on top, just wanted clarify. thanks for the quick reply and will post in correct thread nt.
By the way, I linked to the wrong location initially. I've sinced fixed the link.
The Keyword FAQ has been updated to include both Miracle and Soulbond.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Aaaaand the Avacyn Restored and Planechase updates have been added to the Returning Player Rules Primer.

how do u put the card up on here to make it easy to c what symbols w it
The RPRP and Keyword FAQs have both been updated for Return to Ravnica.

Q. If I play Grave Betrayal and kill tokens is there any way possible for me to gain those tokens through Grave Betrayal?
This isn't the thread for questions unless you have an answer and think it should be added to the FAQ. If you just have a rules question, start a new thread.
All Generalizations are Bad
Can a player skip his/her post combat main phase  and his/her pre-combat main phase ?

here is a card I'm working on that needs these clarifications

7 headed hydra
Vigilance
during each main phase and each upkeep, 7 headed hydra does 1 point of damage to target creature
if 7 headed hydra attacks, it does 1 points to defending player
(7/5)
NO WAR

DOD replaces human label with terrorist Blood-Chin Fanatic

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

No Money NO Ticket NO card Covers

As the very first post in the thread says (and the post immediately above yours makes the exact same point, surely you read at least one of the two before posting?!?):
You should only post in this thread if you want a question or topic to be added to the list. If you do, please post both question and answer, along with an explanation of why the given answer is the correct one.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
I have 2 Answers/Questions to add which I have to keep reminding my friends.

Question:
Can I shuffle my library anytime I want?

Answer:
No. Shuffling your deck is only allowed when a card states you to do so or before the beginning of the game.

Question:
Can I look at the bottom cards of my deck or use the bottom cards of my deck for tokens as it is clearly highly not possible to reach the end of my deck?

Answer:
No. As you are looking at cards in your library which are supposed to be concealed and there are many ways you can reach the end of your deck.

A typical   trying to get somewhere in the Multiverse, allons-y?

DOCTOR WHO OOOOOOOOEEOOOOOOOO OOOOOOEEOOOOOOO (I'm weird, cant help it)

Famous Quotes:

144543765 wrote:
I was browsing through some cards in gatherer and I noticed something really odd - the transforming cards from Innistrad like Mayor of Avabruck have separate comments and ratings for each side. Isn't that totally stupid? It feels as senseless as having two different pages for each side of a split card or having different pages for Nimble Mongoose with and without threshold.

56965528 wrote:
*mutters under his breath* Squinty's Wife: "What was that!?!?" Umm, I said.... umm..... ahhh.... *another smack upside the head* Squinty's Wife: "Care to try again?" *shakes head vigerously* Squinty's Wife: "That's better." ~SE++ *whimpering*

Current deck goals:

NON-AGGRO, NON-MONO RED deck (Not getting very far with it though)

Standard mono red deck for FNM next Friday

It's up to Zammm whether to incorporate these, but neither one is a common question we get around here.

I only remember ever seeing the first question once, and it wasn't so much a player asking if that was allowed as a player who already knew it wasn't wondering what to do about someone else who stubbornly refused to accept that.

I have never seen anyone ask the second question in RQ&A. Anyone with even a basic level of familiarity with card games in general, let alone Magic, knows that even if it's not possible to reach the end of the deck, what card is there is still useful information, and thus illicitly attempting to get that information is cheating. This is especially true in a case like Magic where not everyone is playing with the same deck. This doesn't seem like something anyone in their right mind would be genuinely confused about, though that might not stop them from trying to exploit other players' naivety with it.

Thank you, though, for using this thread for its intended purpose. FAR too many people don't.
Very minor suggested addition, this isn't really that big a deal but it comes up enough to annoy me:

Q: I have a creature with doublestrike...
A: No, you don't. "Double Strike" is two words, not one.
As a returning player I was skimming through the official rule book (basic rules) and I think there is an error on page 7. It's this overview table, and should creatures not also have a "marker" on "can be attacked"?

No, that would be Yu-Gi-Oh!. Only planeswalkers and players can be attacked.
No. Creatures are not declared as "targets" for an attack. They take part in combat, after the defender says so, but they are not attacked themselves. 
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Ah, sorry I was a little bit sleepy that early in the morning. Now I get it. Planeswalker can be directly attacked like a player, and regular creatures only get damage if you are attacked and choose the creature to block the attack.
Q: When a card like Giant Adephage is on the field with a card with Evolve. When they both attack an Giant Adephage deals damage and you put the token on the field. Does Evolve kick in before that creature attacks?
Next time, please create a new thread by going to Rules Q&A and clicking the "New Thread" button.
Q: When a card like Giant Adephage is on the field with a card with Evolve. When they both attack an Giant Adephage deals damage and you put the token on the field. Does Evolve kick in before that creature attacks?

Barring first strike or doublestrike on the adephage, both of your creatures deal combat damage at the same time (in the combat damage step). Only after the damage is done does the copy of giant adephage get created, so your evolve creature will have already dealt damage by the time evolve triggers.
On page 3:

(Under the Summoning Sickness section)
Q: If a noncreature permanent turns into a creature, does it suffer summoning sickness?On

I think it would be a good thing to include an example of what happens when control of a permanent with summoning sickness changes in between turns. If I cast Serra Angel, my opponent Mind Controls it on his/her next turn, and I Disenchant the Mind Control on my following turn, Serra Angel will still have summoning sickness because no player has controlled it since the beginning of a turn.

(The general rule of thumb is that summoning sickness ends "when a turn has passed", but when control of "sick" permanents change in between turns, a lot of newbies get confused and don't know if the permanent has lost summoning sickness or if it's still sick. This example clarifies how to handle such a situation and I think it would be a good addition.)

(Under the Triggered Abilities section)
 Q: Can I cast something with an enters-the-battlefield trigger if there are no targets for the ability?

A good example here could be Flametongue Kavu. If Flametongue Kavu enters the battlefield and is the only creature on the battlefield, its triggered ability forces its controller to have it deal 4 damage to itself upon entering the battlefield (most likely destroying it).

(I've seen a lot of people casting cards like Flametongue Kavu only to have it die to itself moments later because they forgot or didn't know that you have to target your own permanents if there are no other legal targets, so having a blunt example like this probably wouldn't hurt.)
Please add the Sanguine Bond & Exquisite Blood combo to the cards and combos section.  It's been cropping up quite a bit recently.
On page 3:

(Under the Summoning Sickness section)
Q: If a noncreature permanent turns into a creature, does it suffer summoning sickness?On

I think it would be a good thing to include an example of what happens when control of a permanent with summoning sickness changes in between turns. If I cast Serra Angel, my opponent Mind Controls it on his/her next turn, and I Disenchant the Mind Control on my following turn, Serra Angel will still have summoning sickness because no player has controlled it since the beginning of a turn.

(The general rule of thumb is that summoning sickness ends "when a turn has passed", but when control of "sick" permanents change in between turns, a lot of newbies get confused and don't know if the permanent has lost summoning sickness or if it's still sick. This example clarifies how to handle such a situation and I think it would be a good addition.)

I think a better example would involve the Serra Angel staying on the battlefield for a few turns before the Mind Control, and then the Mind Control staying on for a few turns before the Disenchant.  At that moment, your Serra Angel will "have summoning sickness" because you haven't controlled it continuously since the start of your turn.  It doesn't matter how long the creature may have been on the battlefield under your opponent's control; if you haven't controlled it since the beginning of your most recent turn, it will have summoning sickness.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

I think a better example would involve the Serra Angel staying on the battlefield for a few turns before the Mind Control, and then the Mind Control staying on for a few turns before the Disenchant.  At that moment, your Serra Angel will "have summoning sickness" because you haven't controlled it continuously since the start of your turn.  It doesn't matter how long the creature may have been on the battlefield under your opponent's control; if you haven't controlled it since the beginning of your most recent turn, it will have summoning sickness.

Really? Well then I've learned something new today Good to know, and yeah, I agree, your example is probably better.
I suspect this is going to be a frequent question.  Can you add it?
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Hello,

I have a question about insults and abusive behavior during a sanctioned event.

If during an MTG match a person insults his opponent - this could lead to him being disqualified?

What happens if after the disqualification from the event he continues to proceed with his original intentions?

Post #1 by zammm of this thread in part...
Rules Q&A Magic Rules FAQ

can a normal creature directly target a plainswalker and declare it has to block that creature or do you declare wheather to take the damage or send it to a creature or the plainswalker
does the plainswalker have to take the damage pretty much or can you declare a blocker
Kindly read either the first post in this thread, or the post immediately before yours...
If i have a undead warchief.

the ability of this card work to himself or if another undead warchief enter the battlefield, do it work on the first one ???

Thanks to answer !!
[c][/c]
Undead Warchief's second ability applies to all Zombies on the battlefield, including itself and other Undead Warchiefs.

Its first ability applies to all Zombies being cast, but only while the Warchief itself is on the battlefield. The first one you cast won't get the discount, but any subsequent ones will.
Same thing with death baron...?
[c][/c]
Same thing with death baron...?

Please start a new thread for your questions.  This thread is only for the FAQ and is not for general questions.

Sign In to post comments