No Gamma World Adventures in Dungeon

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just received a reply to my proposal for a Gamma World adventure to Dungeon Magazine. Unfortunately, they are not looking for any more Gamma World adventures at this time, so no Gamma World in Dungeon anytime soon. Frown (I suppose that could mean that they hated my pitch and were just trying to get rid of me nicely, but I don't think it was that bad.)

Kerry
It's because they've already done a bunch of DDi pieces on Gamma World the past two months, and a lot of people were pretty annoyed about it, apparently. Most people see GW as a semi-seperate game, and it's certainly not compatible with thier normal D&D 4E characters, so people don't want to see thier DDi content taken up by things they probably won't use.

While I'd like to see GW material in there, I can't say I really blame them for not wanting to be paying for things they won't be using.
Unfortunately, they are not looking for any more Gamma World adventures at this time, so no Gamma World in Dungeon anytime soon.

Bummer. As a subscriber, that's one of the few things I certainly could've used from Dungeon. Right now, pretty much the only thing I get for my $71.40 a year is the Character Builder (worth it imo, but a shame that such excellent opportunities are lost). Heck, just seeing something like your standees on the WotC site would make me think favorably of their content.

What GW content is in the DDI?  Depending on what it is I may subscribe.

Excerpts.

I am not sure if I would call advertising "content".  The only other thing I remember are the interviews with the designers.  Interesting, but not very helpful in a world design or running/playing the game sort of way.  It would be nice if they released some adventures in Dungeon or some Origins/Monsters in Dragon.  I think they have a success on their hands and need to stoke the fires.

Excerpts.

I always thought exerpts were free content, not requiring a subscription.  So I'm paying for those too?  I hate the idea of paying for that.  The new CB has made me keep my subscription but the content has not been all that appealing to me, Gamma World support would be fine by me.   The D.ark Sun support has been only content I find appealing lately.    I vote for GW support, one or two articles a quarter with an adventure two or three times a year would be fine.  After all it is the Dungeons & Dragons Gamma World Roleplaying Game.
How much is DDi? I wants my new Gamma World, but there's a limit to the hoops I will jump through for it. 

Excerpts.

I always thought exerpts were free content, not requiring a subscription.  So I'm paying for those too?  I hate the idea of paying for that.

No, actually. Many excerpts are free content - but thats usually tables or chapter listings and things like that, that are just advertising. But check out October's DDi calendar - there are several excerpts that are not free.

The problem with excerpts in DDi (as I think some people see it) is that since GW is essentially a standalone product from 4E, the average 4E player won't be able to put it to use. And that annoys people who would rather see excerpts from things they CAN use. Especialy since in order to actually use said excerpts, you have to buy the core set anyway, which means youd be getting the excerpts anyway.

I *personally* don't care, and would love to see GW content in DDi, because my group plays it and it wouldn't be a waste of our subscription. But I can certainly see how others would be unhappy about it, and I've seen a number of angry posts about the subject, so thats my theory on why they arent looking for more GW content for DDi right now.
We have sure come a long way from the days that the paper version of Dragon occasional had articles for game systems from other companies, not to mention a dedicated section (Ares) for things like Gamma World and Star Frontiers...

I find it conceptually strange that a non-paper publication has such a tight per month content restriction that snippets from soon to be published product have to be considered an instead of rather then an addition to.  Its not like there is a materials or page count limitation.  I guess they have limited editorial staff or author commission budget that dictate a maximum number of words that can be processed per month or something?  If so then it seems to be to low already, and dropping.

Of course if that was the only limitation, I wonder if they could just charge seperately to pay for another editor to handle the production of a niche virtual publication (it could even be called Ares) to cover rules and scenarios for GW, the Ravenloft board game, and any other hinted at non-Essentials stuff?  I'd consider subscribing to such a thing.
We have sure come a long way from the days that the paper version of Dragon occasional had articles for game systems from other companies, not to mention a dedicated section (Ares) for things like Gamma World and Star Frontiers...

I find it conceptually strange that a non-paper publication has such a tight per month content restriction that snippets from soon to be published product have to be considered an instead of rather then an addition to.  Its not like there is a materials or page count limitation.  I guess they have limited editorial staff or author commission budget that dictate a maximum number of words that can be processed per month or something?  If so then it seems to be to low already, and dropping.

Of course if that was the only limitation, I wonder if they could just charge seperately to pay for another editor to handle the production of a niche virtual publication (it could even be called Ares) to cover rules and scenarios for GW, the Ravenloft board game, and any other hinted at non-Essentials stuff?  I'd consider subscribing to such a thing.

Seconded, while I don't play DnD 4th edition, I would definitely consider spending a moderate sum for a niche publication like that, especially if it means more Gamma World content.

Its not that theres a page count or something; its twofold:
1. Publishing more articles costs more money because they have to pay the people writing them.
2. The people who get annoyed about it are paying for the service, and would rather see articles they can use in place of articles they cant.

And I agree actually, I might subscribe to such a thing too.
I believe that GW content ( and any other future RPG content ) belongs in Dragon and Dungeon.  I believe both GW and Ravenloft are found in the DnD product section and GW does use the 4e ruleset.  A third magazine would be nice, but the content should still be in the DDI subscription.  It is all DnD, like it has been in the past.  I hate to say it, but the other people can skip the articles and not read them.  That is what I used to do when the olde Dragon mags talked about games I didn't play.  Or I read them to learn about a new game or new techniques.
I am paying for the service also and would rather see an article on GW than on "Essentials: Hexblade Star Pact" when I don't play Essentials.  Not complaining about the two Essentials Hexblades articles, it is just an example of things I will not use in the magazine.
There should be official supporting material for GW online, period. If it's in Dungeon or Dragon, it should be in ADDITION to those materials, that way no one can complain. I'd prefer for it to be separate.
They pasted "D&D" all over the box, the book, and on the back of every card (instead of a helpful 'Alpha' and 'Omega,' too).  It's officially part of the D&D line.

And, it's not a new thing.  Gamma World and Metamorphosis Alpha articles often apeared in the pages of The Dragon, there was a D&D module with Gamma Worldish content, there were even D&D/Gamma-World conversion rules in the 1e DMG (Did you know blasters and torc grenades could knock down a Wall of Force?).

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

S3.....no other argument needs be said. 

The lack of GW content is exactly what has kept me away form Insider.