Is the story material for the first 9 sessions available online?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm going to DM the next session for my group to give the guy who's been doing it a break. I would like to read through the story materials for the 1st 9 sessons to help me prepare (I don't care about the materials pertaining to actually running the encounters). I don't know if the store where I play still has all the past sessions materials, so I was wondering does anyone know if they're published somewhere so I can read through them?
- Rico
Your options:

1) Does the store have copies?  Occasionally there are more copies of the adventure available than actually get used and these should be for use for other DMs.  In fact, the kits come with two copies, so if you've only had a single table there should be a second copy.

Most stores will have a box or drawer where they keep this stuff (along with Game Day packages, etc.).  Ask the owner.

2) If, for whatever reason, the store does not have copies, try and borrow from the first DM.  If the only copy is with the current DM you need it in order to take over.

NOTE:  If you do not have a copy of the adventure that may also mean you do not have a copy of the encounter map currently in use?  This is important - so you really need to ask around for a copy of the full adventure.

These are not online anywhere as far as I know.
 Yeah what Shaadow said they havent released season one or two material online and are not expected to release any encounters material online since its the DM reward.
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Your options:

1) Does the store have copies?  Occasionally there are more copies of the adventure available than actually get used and these should be for use for other DMs.  In fact, the kits come with two copies, so if you've only had a single table there should be a second copy.

Most stores will have a box or drawer where they keep this stuff (along with Game Day packages, etc.).  Ask the owner.

2) If, for whatever reason, the store does not have copies, try and borrow from the first DM.  If the only copy is with the current DM you need it in order to take over.

NOTE:  If you do not have a copy of the adventure that may also mean you do not have a copy of the encounter map currently in use?  This is important - so you really need to ask around for a copy of the full adventure.

These are not online anywhere as far as I know.

Well, as I stated, I don't know if the store where I play still has the materials from the previous sessions. I did ask if I could take home the materials for the session I'm going to run, and was told that per WOTC (or whoever gives the packets to the store) the materials have to stay in the store because they've had problems with people taking them home and not returning them.  So, the DM doesn't have the material. He gets it when he comes in on game day. 

They did say I'm welcome to come in any time beforehand and read through it, but it has to stay in the store. Right now I'm planning to do that over the weekend, and I'll ask them if they still have the previous sessions so I can read through them too. I was just hoping that I might be able to get my hands on them so I can read them from the comfort of my own home, rather than having to spend a bunch of time sitting at a table in the store.
- Rico

So, the DM doesn't have the material. He gets it when he comes in on game day. 

Wow!  What a contrast to the store I DM at.  I usually get the unopened packets when they come in and manage the material for the owners.  Any DMs get a full copy of the adventure to take home, study, and keep.  Not that the owners don't care - rather that they accept my willingness to manage the program for them and trust me to do so.  I wouldn't volunteer to DM at a store that acts the way you describe.

I do understand the "logic" behind this, gamers are sometimes a bit unreliable after all, but it's a shame if they don't trust folks enough to let go a bit, at least to trust those who step up to DM the DDE program.  Bigger shame if it is because that trust was betrayed in the past.

Check your PM for additional thoughts.

So, the DM doesn't have the material. He gets it when he comes in on game day. 

Wow!  What a contrast to the store I DM at.  I usually get the unopened packets when they come in and manage the material for the owners.  Any DMs get a full copy of the adventure to take home, study, and keep.  Not that the owners don't care - rather that they accept my willingness to manage the program for them and trust me to do so.  I wouldn't volunteer to DM at a store that acts the way you describe.

I do understand the "logic" behind this, gamers are sometimes a bit unreliable after all, but it's a shame if they don't trust folks enough to let go a bit, at least to trust those who step up to DM the DDE program.  Bigger shame if it is because that trust was betrayed in the past.

Check your PM for additional thoughts.

They  know me pretty well there, and if the directive hadn't come down from on high, I'm sure they'd let me take the stuff home. I like the store in general, so I'll just work around it.
- Rico
 Gimper I can tell you from personal experience that WoTC does not say the material has to be kept in store. My encounter Coordinator is Chris Tulach WoTC employee and head of the encounters (all organized play actually) and he gives all DMs at our store the unopened materials for us to keep in advance. Actually I didnt DM chapters one and two but he still got me copies of all three chapters when I started so I could catch up with the "metaplot".

If your store isnt giving DMs the material to keep thats not WoTC policy.

Gimper I can tell you from personal experience that WoTC does not say the material has to be kept in store. My encounter Coordinator is Chris Tulach WoTC employee and head of the encounters (all organized play actually) and he gives all DMs at our store the unopened materials for us to keep in advance. Actually I didnt DM chapters one and two but he still got me copies of all three chapters when I started so I could catch up with the "metaplot".

If your store isnt giving DMs the material to keep thats not WoTC policy.

OK. Maybe it's the store owner. I don't know. There are two guys who work the counter. I know both of them pretty well. The one who is there on Wednesdays told me that he's not allowed to let the materials leave the store (maybe they'll make an exception for the sesssions already played). I'll make it work somehow.

Thanks.
- Rico
Update: I went to the store on Friday, and I confirmed with the other guy who works at the store that their WOTC rep is the one who told them that the materials have to remain in the store.  So this is not some rule that they are making up for their store.

So, I sat at a table and read through the material and made some notes.
- Rico
Update: I went to the store on Friday, and I confirmed with the other guy who works at the store that their WOTC rep is the one who told them that the materials have to remain in the store.  So this is not some rule that they are making up for their store.

I am not sure why the Store told you this, I am assuming as an excuse for what they did.  A WPN Rep will not have told them this.  The Adventure and Map, as well as a Pack of Condition Cards are the 'Reward' for the DM who runs the event.  Again, a WPN Rep knows this, so does the person at the store who received the Event Materials as it is Clearly Stated EVERYWHERE

However, WotC normally only ships a couple copies of the Adventure, most stores will only Receive 2 Copies, if they are lucky they might get 4.  If you are starting to DM this far into the current season, the additional copies have probably already been given out or taken home (Staff, DMs, TO, Owner etc) and there might be only 1 Copy left, which most stores keep as a 'Store Copy'.

Things might be different if you let them know ahead of time that you would like to DM the next Season of Encounters (Probably Starting late February, early March) and would appreciate a copy of the adventure for that season 'if' WotC sends multiple copies

Scott
Advanced Level TO
Out of curiosity, is it possible to request any aditional copies during the season?  I've been kind of tag-teaming with another DM this season and as a result we have split resources of the adventure materials.  I'm sure the both of us would like to have our own copy for our libraries
https://twitter.com/#!/Nullzone42

I bet it is the crazy eBay prices on Encounters materials that is influencing the store to not let anyone take them "home."

I understand Wizards' desire to keep Encounters exclusive to retail stores but if they released them as a downloadable PDF 2 or 3 weeks later it would not only lower the eBay prices, which would reduce the incentive of people selling Encounters for profit instead of running it for the public as intended, but allow more people to run Encounters in non-retail locations -- specifically SCHOOLS.

I am not sure why the Store told you this, I am assuming as an excuse for what they did.  A WPN Rep will not have told them this.  The Adventure and Map, as well as a Pack of Condition Cards are the 'Reward' for the DM who runs the event.  Again, a WPN Rep knows this, so does the person at the store who received the Event Materials as it is Clearly Stated EVERYWHERE

However, WotC normally only ships a couple copies of the Adventure, most stores will only Receive 2 Copies, if they are lucky they might get 4.  If you are starting to DM this far into the current season, the additional copies have probably already been given out or taken home (Staff, DMs, TO, Owner etc) and there might be only 1 Copy left, which most stores keep as a 'Store Copy'.

Things might be different if you let them know ahead of time that you would like to DM the next Season of Encounters (Probably Starting late February, early March) and would appreciate a copy of the adventure for that season 'if' WotC sends multiple copies

Scott

The group I'm playing with is the only group playing there. I have no reason to doubt them. Maybe their rep incorrectly told them that.
- Rico
Out of curiosity, is it possible to request any aditional copies during the season?  I've been kind of tag-teaming with another DM this season and as a result we have split resources of the adventure materials.  I'm sure the both of us would like to have our own copy for our libraries

I contacted my WPN rep about this previosly.  If there are copies left through WotC at the end of the season (They are still mailing out to stores who sign up now), they might be able on a case to case basis to send out a copy or two. 
Advanced Level TO
  Gimper Occam's razor seems to apply here.

1. Your store organizers say "WoTC" says we can't give you the materials, the rep says we must keep them in the store."

2. No other Dm's report this being the case at thier flgs.

therefor simplest answer is probobly that your store organizers are either incorrect in thier belief or fibbing to you about it.

Sorry, but I have to go with Kedrith et all. I have run at two different stores during the three seasons, and have always been given the material for the next chapter ASAP when it comes in.

MF
As I said previously, this is Chapter 4, the store is probably just out of extra copies and has 1 left.
Advanced Level TO
Sign In to post comments