VT Beta Questions and Answers

209 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is to be used as a question/answer thread for those that are interested in the VT Beta. People participating in the beta are invited to answer what questions that they can. Screenshots are awesome, just try to make sure that they are of a reasonable size.

This IS NOT the place to complain about the VT, WotC's handling of DDI or other things of that nature. There are *numerous* threads for that available. Posts of that nature, as well as any other threaads that are considered obvious threadcrapping, will be reported for disruption.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Reserved
Whaddya know, also reserved.
Additional Reservation
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Some screenshots, then I must actually do some work so that I can play tonight.
- Are there other Formats than "Campaign"?
- Is the System just a way of telling the player sor is there a mechanic?
-  What Options doyou have when you create a new campaign?

Thanks for any answers, i'm way curious ^^ 
- Are there other Formats than "Campaign"?
- Is the System just a way of telling the player sor is there a mechanic?
-  What Options doyou have when you create a new campaign?

Thanks for any answers, i'm way curious ^^ 

It doesn't look like there is an immediate mechanical effect from selecting campaign isntead of one-shot.  This appears to be a way for players looking for games to determine some basic information about the game you are hsoting, so they can decide if they want to join or not.

See images posted by MudBunny above to see what options you have.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Not sure if these are the options you have as a DM or as a searchign player.
Some impressions from @WolfStar76 (from ihis twitter feed)

VRT Beta first impressions: While the lack of a current import tool is felt, the features are VERY nice. Built-in voice chat!

#DDI #VRT Each player can have a color assigned to them. Wish they'd just put in a color wheel, however instead of a handful of choices.

#DDI VRT I see Import for maps, adventures, PCs and Monsters so far. Just FYI.

#DDI VRT has lots of listings for "Import" options - don't know if they work yet, but fears they won't ever exist are unfounded.

Those are the options for a searching player.

Creating a campaigbn is a bit different and, due to work problems with Java, I canèt quite get at yet.

Follow @WolfStar76 on Twitter, or follow the #VRT and #DDI hashtags for a running commentary as he plays with the tool.

The options shown are available to both DMs and Players.
A DM gets to choose these options when creating a game, and players choose these optiosn when filtering the list of games available.

Ah that helps ^^
And I'm stalking you guys on Twitter for quite some time ;)

Very curious what you'll see and report!
Very good move from WoTC to let  you be able todo that!

- If any of you guys can open a game, are there predefined objects to place?
- Is there a line of sight ruling?
- If not are there other possibilities to 'hide' things from the players? 
#DDI #VRT Voice Chat appears to include an option for voice masking/changing. Will have to be in a table with someone else to test that.

Woa! o_O
What is the minimum display resolution? I have a net PC (1024 x 600) how will it look like on it? Is it possible to manage a second display, such as a monitor or projector?

Thanks  
WolfStar76
#DDI #VRT Can make multiple maps for a session, show/reveal tiles as you go. Line of sight measuring tool.
Why would you need room for 8 people? Aside from a person or 2 "watching", 6 people is the max Id DM. anything more than that it just gets ridiculously slow combat wise and not very fun either.
Let's not make this a mirror of Wolfstar76's twitter feed, K? ;)

So my questions revolve around how well the tool will lend itself to being used as a digital table for live RP sessions.  For instance, can a single player control multiple PC's?  How much of the UI can be hidden in favor of showing more of the map?
Why would you need room for 8 people? Aside from a person or 2 "watching", 6 people is the max Id DM. anything more than that it just gets ridiculously slow combat wise and not very fun either.

Some DMs can handle more players. Why would we want to stop them from running the game the way they want?

As a rule of thumb, more options are more gooder (yes, gooder).  Not everyone plays the same way, and the flexibility can't really hurt.

So my questions revolve around how well the tool will lend itself to being used as a digital table for live RP sessions.  For instance, can a single player control multiple PC's?  How much of the UI can be hidden in favor of showing more of the map?

I can't get anyone to join my session ATM, but it looks like it might be possible to offer multiple PC control.  If not, the DM can move tokens around for anything on the table.

You can close the entire right-hand sidebar (where the party listing, initiative bar, and etc sit) - or at least you can as the DM.

The program is also resize-able.  In fact, it starts pretty small, so resizing was the first thing I did. 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

My home group runs 8 players + DM through MapTools.  I'd rather have the options for too many players, than not enough.
On Essentials: Everyone deserves to play a class they enjoy. Hex Grid UserAndroid UserD&DMapTools
Dungeons & Dragons Compendium
Our House Rules
Index of 4e Errata
How much calculation happens?  Dice roll results?  Hitpoint loss/gain?  Condition tracking?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
How much calculation happens?  Dice roll results?  Hitpoint loss/gain?  Condition tracking?

So far in my testing of a quickie NPC vs a Quickie PC - die rolls are reported, then the Player/DM has to adjudicate.  

"Ah, 17 hits my AC, I'll just click on the button here, and apply that (wait for dmg roll) 5 damage to my sheet".

Mechanical conditions only include bloodied (puts a blood drop on the token), and Marked By (with an option to choose who placed the mark).

You can then "write in" any additional conditions - though things like blind don't currently have a built-in penalty to them.  I hope this is just because it's a beta, however, and that we'll see the "stock" conditions get added in.  

[EDIT] Die rolls are assigned to your powers on your PC/NPC.  One click to roll the atk, another to roll dmg.  Just FYI.   

So far in my testing of a quickie NPC vs a Quickie PC - die rolls are reported, then the Player/DM has to adjudicate.  

"Ah, 17 hits my AC, I'll just click on the button here, and apply that (wait for dmg roll) 5 damage to my sheet".

Mechanical conditions only include bloodied (puts a blood drop on the token), and Marked By (with an option to choose who placed the mark).

You can then "write in" any additional conditions - though things like blind don't currently have a built-in penalty to them.  I hope this is just because it's a beta, however, and that we'll see the "stock" conditions get added in.  

[EDIT] Die rolls are assigned to your powers on your PC/NPC.  One click to roll the atk, another to roll dmg.  Just FYI.   

PCs have the ability to add powers to the tockens. I'm trying to figure out how to make those powers roll with modifiers right now.

PCs have the ability to add powers to the tokens. I'm trying to figure out how to make those powers roll with modifiers right now.

When you build a power on the character sheet, next to the image of the d20 - first box is descriptive in the chat bar when that is clicked.  2nd is the actual die roll, expressed "1d20 + 4" for example.

I don't know if/how to do on-the-fly modifiers, however, and if you're working on that, I'd love to hear what you come up with.  

I wonder if the "bonus" box at the bottom would work for assigned die rolls. . .

[EDIT]
It doesn't.  :/ 

more gooder

Ssssssssssss!

In other news, what do these import options include?

When the VTT was originally announced, there was talk of microtransactions for tokens and such. I'd prefer importing my own monsters/designing my own tokens, so more info in the area of importing is cool... 
more gooder

Ssssssssssss!

In other news, what do these import options include?

When the VTT was originally announced, there was talk of microtransactions for tokens and such. I'd prefer importing my own monsters/designing my own tokens, so more info in the area of importing is cool... 

Dunno, haven't pulled an import in just yet.  Only now found the actual option to export a character or NPC.  Will tinker with it.

Right now, the images for the tokens are fixed.  Being a beta, it's a fairly limited pool, in fact.

I'm hoping they eventually add all the monster (AND PC) artwork (since they all draw from the same pool right now).  Better still, I hope they allow the uploading of custom artwork. 

Some DMs can handle more players. Why would we want to stop them from running the game the way they want?

As a rule of thumb, more options are more gooder (yes, gooder).  Not everyone plays the same way, and the flexibility can't really hurt.

I can't get anyone to join my session ATM, but it looks like it might be possible to offer multiple PC control.  If not, the DM can move tokens around for anything on the table.

You can close the entire right-hand sidebar (where the party listing, initiative bar, and etc sit) - or at least you can as the DM.

The program is also resize-able.  In fact, it starts pretty small, so resizing was the first thing I did. 

My home group runs 8 players + DM through MapTools.  I'd rather have the options for too many players, than not enough.

I guess I should have said, I personally wouldnt have that many people, but Im glad to hear it would be used by people. Keep the updates coming.

Question - So with this "import" feature do you suspect that WoTC will offer up adventures/tokens in the native format that people can download or purchase for a small fee or something like that? or is this something that is just say, I create a campaign/adventure within the program, export it for later use and then import it when needed?

So are you seeing that since there is no CB file import functionality as of right now, that a persons PC or the NPC has to be created from scratch?

The current 'import' option is used to import saved character tokens.  You can also export a token that you've taken the time to set up with powers, defenses, hp, and other goodies.

'import' in this case is just the mechanism to load that token back onto the table.

without being able to use it, its kind of hard to ask questions for me. i guess my first question is how many people got accepted to test it, bc i didnt. second question,  you have to manually input characters and monsters?
The current 'import' option is used to import saved character tokens.  You can also export a token that you've taken the time to set up with powers, defenses, hp, and other goodies.

'import' in this case is just the mechanism to load that token back onto the table.

Thanks for the clarification. That is what I was thinking for this Beta testing. but I would hope that WoTC moves in that direction for when they release it or shortly there after. 

its just the mods and such that get to test it?
I liked the picture of the Campaign Manager, pleasantly supprised to see the support for running games of previous editions, although since by the sounds of things it doesn't do much built in maths at the moment, I guess that's more of a game identifier than actually loading rulesets as such.

Questions

1) How does a game get to appear in the campaign manager?
2) Does it only appear if it is currently an open session (like a lobby for active first person shooter servers) or if you have a regular Monday night game can you check Mondays and book a seat in advance (more like a calendar or diary)?
3) Can you make games private so it doesn't appear in the campaign manager?
I'm by no means a mod - heck, I'm just a guy that sometimes writes stuff (granted, usually stuff nobody really asked for).

But hey.

I figured I'd toss some reactions and thoughts into a beta-tester's blog here on the WotC blogspace, see what develops.  Feel free to hit the link and add some questions/ thoughts, I'd love to address them as time allows

community.wizards.com/warfteiner/blog/20...

Alan Patrick

Associate Community Manager, D&D Adventurers League

http://dndadventurersleague.org

without being able to use it, its kind of hard to ask questions for me. i guess my first question is how many people got accepted to test it, bc i didnt. second question,  you have to manually input characters and monsters?

Looks like there's currently over 200 people in the beta group.  A mix of insiders and outsiders.

I liked the picture of the Campaign Manager, pleasantly supprised to see the support for running games of previous editions, although since by the sounds of things it doesn't do much built in maths at the moment, I guess that's more of a game identifier than actually loading rulesets as such.

Questions

1) How does a game get to appear in the campaign manager?
2) Does it only appear if it is currently an open session (like a lobby for active first person shooter servers) or if you have a regular Monday night game can you check Mondays and book a seat in advance (more like a calendar or diary)?
3) Can you make games private so it doesn't appear in the campaign manager?

1. if you create a game with open slots, anyone can join in.  if you invite someone to a game, they will see it listed in their 'current campaign' list, until they decline it.  Once you join a public game, or accept an invite, it stays listed in your 'current campaign' list until you leave it.
2. the 'Open Campaign's tab acts like a lobby of sorts.  If you have a regular monday campaign that you have joined, that will appear in your 'current campaigns' tab.
3. If you want a private game, simply select '0' open seats, and send invites to the people who you want in.  Then they will see the invite in their 'current campaigns' tab, where they can accept or decline the invitation.

What is the minimum display resolution? I have a net PC (1024 x 600) how will it look like on it? Is it possible to manage a second display, such as a monitor or projector?

Thanks  

You can stretch the game table window across multiple monitors.
You can zoom in and out on the battle grid.
You can zoom in and out on text size of the chat window.

You can completely hide the left-hand column, which displays the player list.
You can completely hide the toolbar along the top.
You can stretch/shrink the chat window along the bottom.
You can partially hide the right-hand column, but a tool-bar style interface will remain.

All of this sounds great and it's finally made me join the 21st Century by signing up to Twitter. Not sure if that's a good thing yet but here's hopin'.......

As to questions, not sure if this can be answered with the Beta version but an Import - Adventures option was mentioned further up this thread. Is this going to allow the import of full adventures from Dungeon or other published sources as if so, this is precisely what I hoped would be done with the VT?

If this heralds full integration with all digital content produced by WotC then they have my utmost loyalty back and can have my money forevermore!!!

For the moment, you have to manually input characters and monsters.  However, after you've created a character, you can save it to your local hard drive, and then reload it for your next game.

All of this sounds great and it's finally made me join the 21st Century by signing up to Twitter. Not sure if that's a good thing yet but here's hopin'.......

As to questions, not sure if this can be answered with the Beta version but an Import - Adventures option was mentioned further up this thread. Is this going to allow the import of full adventures from Dungeon or other published sources as if so, this is precisely what I hoped would be done with the VT?

If this heralds full integration with all digital content produced by WotC then they have my utmost loyalty back and can have my money forevermore!!!

That almost certainly won't be available at launch.
Integration with other tools is something they want to do, but have decided to put off for now in order to get a working product out the door. speed + simplicity is the order of the day.

Very few calculations happen automatically.
Dice Roll Results can happen automatically.
Hitpoint loss/gain does not happen automatically.
Condition Tracking does not happen automatically,

While I'd love to see plug 'n play capability for Dragon, Dungeon and CB content I'd prefer to see a fully-working mainframe first.

Given that, I feel that patience will have been earned.

Now, that said... the current character creation and adventure creation schemes are *really* barebones.  I'm sure we'll see more in a few days.

Alan Patrick

Associate Community Manager, D&D Adventurers League

http://dndadventurersleague.org