Classic Monster Conversions

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here are a few new critters for your campaigns. These are from the old "GW3: The Cleansing War of Garik Blackhand" (1983) module by Michael Price and Garry Spiegle.

Barxyn ("smokie")

Only you can prevent forest fires. Unless a barxyn devours you.

These large mutated bears have shaggy pelts of brown, green, and yellow fur, and hard bark-like carapaces protecting their heavy skulls and shoulders. Their purple, insectoid eyes emit beams of hard radiation, and they use their pyrokinetic powers to smoke out prey that attempts to hide. A barxyn can stand on its back legs and use tools, but prefers to attack with its razor-sharp claws and teeth.

GW stats for the barxyn

Gamma World Stats: Change the creature type to "large terrestrial beast."

Loo Pur ("gray shadow")

You swear you're alone in the darkened forest, but then a twigsnap here, a branch moves there, and suddenly you're surrounded by wolves on all sides and there's nowhere left to run.

A loo pur is a mutated wolf with chameleon-like fur and six legs. They leap from the shadows to strike with their powerful jaws after letting loose their demoralizing howls. The alpha of a loo pur pack is able to summon temporal phantoms from alternate timelines who surround and distract the pack's targets. Loo purs are highly intelligent but avoid using most Ancient technology due to their non-anthropomorphic shape and their vulnerability to electricity.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
One more monster for you, also from GW3:

Vath ("lee'gosi")

Unlike their smaller cousins, these two-headed bats like to hunt in the day as well as the night.

The bright red head of a vath delivers a deadly poison, while the ruddy brown head can drain blood. These predators dwell in dark caves but are not necessarily noctural, especially when new blood enters their territory when it's light out.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
(The puns in these old GW books are awesomely painful.)

I'm inspired to give this a shot myself: Here is my take on the always entertaining Bloodwasp from p27 of my favorite module: GW4 The Mind Masters.

- - - - -

Bloodwasp (Cunicula Haemophagia)

Brob you idiot, don't just stand there letting those bugs chew on you one at a time! Brob? Umm, why are you pointing the gun at me? I didn't mean it Brob! No! Argh!

Bloodwasps are venomous burrowing wasps about 4 inches long that rest in chewed out holes waiting for prey (anything with blood in it).  Their behavior is almost totally instinctual and dictated by powerful pheromones.  Do to this their tactics can be bewildering: The requirement to avoid the Warning Pheromone will make them split between fairly distant targets, which can set up crazy crossfires if these targets start getting confused and shooting their friends.  For individual opponents bloodwasps can end up essentially "standing in line" waiting for another insect to finish feeding and exit the area.  Of course once the Death Pheromone is released all bets are off and some members of the hive will seem to go out of their way to get killed and provoke this effect.

Bloodwasp for GW 7E

Can you tell me where you are getting the formating for the above entries?
Can you tell me where you are getting the formating for the above entries?

The "Dungeons & Dragons Adventure Tools: Monster Builder" you can get by having a DDI subscription...

Thank you!

And now for another denizen of GW4 The Mind Masters.

- - - - -

Steelskin (Service Unit, Organic, Models SS17A-SS24A)

Do not be alarmed human master: Your shaggy companion will be perfectly safe in the kennel after being laundered and spayed. Then you may resume telling this one humorous fictons about your pet being intelligent and the two of you coming from the same "tribe." And your door is only being being locked for your own protection while the animal is being processed.

Steelskins are sophisticated androids that almost perfectly resemble pure strain humans, aside from the covering of metallic-organic mesh woven into their skin. Usually found as networked subsidiaries of extremely advanced installations, their prime function is to serve any "humans" encountered, and they frequently have an astounding naivety about other intelligent beings and the shattered state of the world.

Steelskin for GW 7E

Happy Thanksgiving!  In honor of the holiday I searched through all the old materials looking for an appropriate creature.  I found it in the "Mutant Manual II" article in Dragon #108, page 55.

- - - - -

Lukaluka (Gobbler)

In some villages an informal rite of passage involves the older children of the tribe tricking the younger ones into attempting to kick a gobbler. Hilarity frequently ensues.

Descended from pre-mistake turkeys, the lukalukas are fast moving but cowardly and extremely stupid. Except for their blindness inducing gas (which they will often use at first provocation rather then at an ideal time) and preferred diet of infected grains and plants they would not be notable at all as anything but a food source.

Lukaluka for GW 7E
OK, I'm just going through the 1st ed Creature list in alpha order...

Arks are mutated, intelligent canines who stand tall (almost 3 meters fully erect) on well-developed hind legs.  Arks use simple weapons made of organic materials, such as wicker shields and large barely-crafted wooden clubs, and attack in packs, avoiding facing any enemy one-on-one if at all possible.  They consider human hands a great delicacy.

Ark Savage Level 3 Skirmisher
Medium natural humanoid  XP 150
HP 44; Bloodied 22
AC 17; Fortitude 12; Reflex 15; Will 12
Speed 7
Initiative +6
Perception +7
Low-Light Vision
Traits
Pack Attack
The Ark Savage deals an extra 5 damage on melee attacks against an enemy that has two or more of the Ark's allies adjacent to it.
Standard Actions
Club (Standard, melee basic, weapon) • At-Will
Attack: +9 vs. AC
Hit: 1d8 + 5 damage, or 1d8+8 while bloodied.
Triggered Actions
Quick Bite • At-Will
Free Action  Melee 1
Trigger: The Ark misses with a melee weapon attack and had combat advantage for that attack.
Attack (Immediate Interrupt): 1 (The target missed by the melee weapon attack.); +7 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d4 + 3 damage, or 1d4+6 damage while bloodied.
Skills Intimidate +7, Athletics +9, Endurance +9, Nature +7
Str 17 (+4) Dex 17 (+4) Wis 12 (+2)
Con 12 (+2) Int 8 (+0) Cha 5 (–2)
Alignment chaotic evil     Languages Abyssal, Common
Equipment heavy shield, morningstar

Ark Alpha Level 3 Elite Brute (Leader)
Medium natural humanoid  XP 300
HP 114; Bloodied 57
AC 15; Fortitude 12; Reflex 15; Will 12
Speed 7
Saving Throws +2; Action Points 1
Initiative +5
Perception +7
Low-Light Vision
Traits
Pack Attack
The Ark Alpha deals an extra 5 damage on melee attacks against an enemy that has one or more of the Ark's allies adjacent to it.  The Ark Alpha, itself, counts as two alies for purposes of its own allies Pack Attack trait.
Standard Actions
Club (melee basic, weapon) • At-Will
Attack: +7 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + 5 damage, or 1d10+8 while bloodied.
Alpha Strike • Recharge 3 4 5 6
Standard Melee 1
Attack: +7 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + 5 damage, d10+8 if the Ark Alpha is bloodied.
Effect: An ally of the Ark Alpha adjacent to the target can make a melee basic attack against the target as a free action.
Triggered Actions
Grasping Bite • At-Will
Trigger: The Ark Alpha is pushed or knocked prone by an adjacent enemy.
Attack (Immediate Interrupt): 1 (The triggering enemy.); +8 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d4 + 5 damage, or 1d4+8 damage while bloodied.  And, the target is pulled 1 adjacent to the Ark for each square it pushes the Ark (the two remain adjacent throughout) and knocked prone if it knocked the Ark prone.
Skills Intimidate +12, Athletics +10, Endurance +10, Nature +7
Str 18 (+5) Dex 18 (+5) Wis 12 (+2)
Con 17 (+4) Int 8 (+0) Cha 14 (+3)
Alignment chaotic evil     Languages Abyssal, Common
Equipment heavy shield, morningstar

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

For some additional creatures,  see www.keyourcars.com/gammaworld-4e-bestiar...

Also one comment about the Bloodwasp entry -  Minions typically have fixed damage.

--------
Scott Stewarler