Dungeon 184 - Eye on Dark Sun: Silt Elementals

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

Dungeon 184
Eye on Dark Sun: Silt Elementals

by Rodney Thompson

Silt covers Athas like a blanket and gives rise to ferocious, deadly silt elementals.

Talk about this Article here.

AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

The 'difficult terrain' text made me laugh.  I know the article isn't out yet, but I've set up the thread now anyways. 
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

The 'difficult terrain' text made me laugh.  I know the article isn't out yet, but I've set up the thread now anyways. 

Not meaning to be snarky or anything, but should silt elementals even be affected by difficult terrain?

Not meaning to be snarky or anything, but should silt elementals even be affected by difficult terrain?

If it's hard, craggy rock, I don't think the Silt Elemental would be able to melt into it.  Trees would also probably get in the way.  Deep sand or mud?  Not so much.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

it made it through the difficult terrain and is up now.
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below. Download this if you want a copy of the online cb on your hard drive. http://media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/CharacterBuilder/Client/155.231074/CharBuilder.xap export .dnd4e files from the online cb http://vecna.wizards.com/
Nice article! I like the core traits and the various powers as the creatures expand in level.

For the item, 5 + slow + attack for 1d10 + 2d6 every round? That's tasty! It would be a very cool reward and could have some nice RP elements with the idea of silt summoners usually being evil.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Why is the summon an item power, not a ritual?
Because of how dark sun handles its items, actual magic items are supposed to be rarer. Instead, as a reward, you get other less tangible rewards, like here, as a reward for some help, the spellcaster would teach you this spell instead of giving you a level x magic item. Also, I think this is meant to be an in-combat use spell, where rituals are typically out-of-combat.
These guys are very solid monsters, but their damage makes them really tough in any kind of group, say 2-3 at low levels. Definitely want to only use one and at maximum 2 vs. low level PCs. Their auto-damage silt stride and ease of getting CA (Due to their ability to shift through PCs they feel like) make them difficult to handle. I do approve of Rodney Thompsons monsters in general though. They have plenty of teeth.