Just a count: Who cancelled their Account within the last month?

168 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want WoTC to know about how many people have cancelled their accounts based on these recent problems.  I went and cancelled auto renewal as soon as I saw how buggy CB was, because I had no problems at all with the old CB, it was the main reason I even had an account because I was tired of the slow process of making chars the paper way.  Feel free to vent the same here but I wanted to know, who also feel the same way.

I'm sure WotC already has the numbers of who cancelled.

Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.

Never hurts to remind them... over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Seriously, i've never seen a company so blantantly ignore the backlash it's getting because of it's unprofessionalism and not make changes or at least acknowledge the stupid things that they did and start cleaning them up. WotC is a terrible company. They are so incompetent they could screw up a wet dream. The only reason i give them money is because i like D&D and not them. Thank god i don't buy any of their other products.
They are so incompetent they could screw up a wet dream...

Hah.
79189613 wrote:
Of course what you guys say matters! But there are some things - like the offline access option - that are not possible, sorry.
I canceled and got a prorated refund for the remainder of my subscription yesterday. Eventually that dragon icon should disappear.

Edit: hey, there it goes. Bye bye, icon!
I turned off autorenew back in October, and got refunds for September, October, and November.  My subscription ends Dec 2, so expect the dragon to go away around then unless WotC convinces me otherwise.
I canceled and got a refund for the past 3 months.
DDI Subscriber from Nov. 2008 to Nov. 2010 Yes, I was an annual subscriber before the original CB ever even came out. That's how excited I was. Note past tense. Check out my little DnD blog - http://ncdnd.blogspot.com/
I've cancelled my autorenew, I'm going to give the CB a month before I ask for the remainder of my subscription back. I figure if it doesn't fully support Dark Sun by then, I'm going back to paper and pencil.
I haven't yet but I will. I just want to check the more recent mags for any material I might want to keep before I go.

I'm planning to ask for a refund for September through to whenever I'm paid up to (January I think). I was willing to let the no-content months slide if the online builder was decent, but...

I will come back in a few months if they can clean this online builder up to at least the level that the old one was at.
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.
I haven't cancelled yet, but I've disabled auto-renew.

I intend to send an e-mail this weekend asking for a refund for this period of what I regard as unacceptable service delivery.  If they haven't gotten things sorted out in the next month, I'll be asking to have my subscription cancelled with a pro-rated refund for the remaining months.
I let my subscription lapse and emailed Wizards to explain why.  I will return if and when I see some evidence that their digital product strategy has begun to stress quality product over locking down data and tieing up the customer.

Honestly, all of the data/IP for the D&D systems in the books is already published.  Getting into a wad over one more publishing vector just because it's digital is dumb.  The data is already "out there" - the focus of a rational and competent business should be on maximising their income streams from it, not on "hurting" pirates (as if!) or locking in customer choices.
======= Balesir
I've disabled autorenew, it was coming up next month.

I'm sure the tools will be tolerable and produce results I can use eventually, but they don't now and I see no reason to pay for it.

It's a shame too, the 120+ pages of errata will get annoying without the compendium. But $15/month for that is silly.
DDI auto-renew cancelled 11/17 due to lack of usable software tools (aside from the compendium)
The reason why I kept my membership because of the CB updates and I always paid for it.
The old version was more user friendly and faster to access the data. Also, What was 3 pages to print is now 5 pages. I dislike the final results of the character sheet.

WOTC,  If don't have the choice to choose between which CB I can use and pay for. I must unfortunatly decline to subscribing and supporting your site.

Regards
D.L.
Look Ma no more dragon
Your Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription has recently ended. This could be because your billing information failed to process successfully as an Auto-Renew or because your Manual Renew subscription lapsed. Either way, we wanted to invite you back.
]
They are so incompetent they could screw up a wet dream...

Oh Heidi, and Grechen, come on over here, and bring...wait, who's that?  Betty White????  WTF is SHE doing here?!?  OMG get out!  Ahhhh!

T 
Yeah. I did just kill your BBEG with a vorpal frisbee. Problem?

They won't know until month after next.
Why?
I'm sure alot of people like me got a 1 month subscription just before they killed the old CB.
I downloaded the old CB and updated it on the 11th/12th (less than a week before they switched to the new CB) then I immediately turned off auto-renew.
The old CB is making me want several books after seeing what's in them. I've already bought one, and plan to buy the other two or three after Xmas, or get them as gifts.

This month they have the old CB to thank for subs, next month they might have "oops forgot to turn off auto-renew", but month after next?
They'll know what hit them.
"Internet moderators have as much intelligence as the Sahara Desert has rain." - RubicantX ORC's are not known for high Int stats.
I didn't know this was coming so I re uped to update the downloaded version since my campaign started up again.  Got the updates to the mags then found out that they had taken away the only reason I would subscribe again.
At this rate in another 3 or 4 more updates/fixes they will have to start sending out pens and paper to the ddi sub with the header " 3d character builder" - joatamos
i shut off my auto renew and sent an email explaining why, how are you guys gettign refunds? i would love to get my money back for this last month as the ONLY reason i got a sub was for cb, and now i cant even use the thing because there is no ability to houserule.
i shut off my auto renew and sent an email explaining why, how are you guys gettign refunds? i would love to get my money back for this last month as the ONLY reason i got a sub was for cb, and now i cant even use the thing because there is no ability to houserule.

Just email customer service and ask. They have been incredibly responsive, in my experience, to these requests. I received a refund for the month of...August or September, whatever the delayed month was, and then when I requested immediate termination of the subscription and a prorated refund, they had it done within the day. I have to say that my experience with subscription account customer service has always been flawless and smooth. 

Just email customer service and ask. They have been incredibly responsive, in my experience, to these requests. I received a refund for the month of...August or September, whatever the delayed month was, and then when I requested immediate termination of the subscription and a prorated refund, they had it done within the day. I have to say that my experience with subscription account customer service has always been flawless and smooth. 

Yes, it seems they've gotten quite good at the refund process.  Practice makes perfect I suppose.
I cancelled my subscription and got a 3-month prorated refund.
If you look past the plot and the voice acting, Metroid: Other M was an okay game. Not a great game, but an adequate one. Not using the Metroid item collect jingle though? That, was a mistake.
So just cancelling the auto-renew isn't enough? I tried looking for a 'Cancel Subscription' button somewhere in my account info with no luck Frown
My subscription had already lapsed 2 months earlier, and I had been debating if it was worth renewing.  This latest slap to the face with a spiked gauntlet, just made my decision easy.  I sent them an email, informing them of the reason, and likely will not buy any more of the 4E books either.  In fact, the only thing that they have released in the last 4 months that I have had even the slightest interest in at ALL was the newest mini pack.

Sop to WOTC, if you are reading this, I say best of luck to you in the future.

I have had enough
I've cancelled auto-renew. One of the main reasons (hell, pretty close to the only reason) I had an account was for the character builder. I don't understand how we went from a strong product, to an incredibly weak bare-bones product, with no option to keep and use the old version up to date.
Am I the only one who isn't planning on cancelling? There are some parts of the new character generator that I like, such as being able to use any computer anywhere as long as there's net access and Silverlight, to call up the character.
Sadly I must admit I am rather dismayed by several things and I hope that they'll be fixing them VERY soon.
- give back my inherent bonuses!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially now that you have given us Dark Sun, that should be a high priority!
- enable players to house rule their character, so it suits their own campaigns - it is in the offline generator, so I don't understand why it isn't in the offline, similar to inherent bonuses
- allow us to use our own portraits - it really isn't fun playing one of the races where you only have one image to choose between and that image is clearly male, while your character is female (or vice versa)
WOTC doesnt allow polls here in the forums but you can find a similar thread on ENWorld with a poll attached to it

Poll Here
I canceled my auto-renew.

Besides being clunky and annoying, I don't have reliable access to internet at home, much less the FLGS.  I don't have good access to the internet ANYWHERE I play DnD: therefore, Web-Based tool is made of suck.

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

WOTC doesnt allow polls here in the forums but you can find a similar thread on ENWorld with a poll attached to it

Poll Here

51% have cancelled if  I read that right...

I think it's 37% - the bottom ones contain the "not planning to" group as well as a few that say they will be starting a subscription soon. 

With DDi I always stopped the autorenewal and just renewed every four or five months to get updates to the character generator.  I figured I was willing to spend $8 or $9 bucks every now and then to get bug patches and rules updates for my characters.

Now, though, I have no plans to resubscribe.  Even if the new character generator worked perfectly (which it doesn't) it's not worth paying $10 every month I want to level up my character or make a new one.  I'd just as soon stick with the old character generator or do it by hand in Word or Excel or, if my DM is subscribing, make the character on his account in the new generator. 

So I was giving Wizards maybe $30 a year because I used the old generator.  But ironically now that the new character generator requires a constant active subscription Wizards probably won't get any money from me at all since I'm not willing to pay for a full years subscription just to make characters and I don't care about anything else on DDi.

All that being said I do understand the reasons behind the change so I'm not angry with WotC. It's simply that the new generator isn't worth paying that much to use.  In my case a better solution would be to either offer a cheaper DDi subscription that only costs $2 a month, say, and only offers the character generator, and also offer the full price subscription includes everything else. If WotC did that I'd probably pony up for it the character generator only sub.

So yeah, I'm out of DDi for a while. Nothing personal, WotC, it's just too expensive now.

well it is personal for me. To hell with wizards i've cancelled my auto renew. at least i always got my moneys worth by letting other people use my account.

Poll Here

I'm surprised that only about 14% actually tried the character builder and decided to cancel from that.

Also, I think the poll is a bit off. It doesn't have an option for "I'll try it for another month and decide," that's lumped into the "continuing to subscribe" option. Also, it only polls the subset of D&D players who post on enworld, which probably skews towards hardcore players. So the actual numbers of dissatasfied customers to DDI might be higher.
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.
Quoted from my letter to WotC:

"Please cancel the Auto-Renew for my subscription. I am unhappy with the clearly "Beta" Web-based Character Builder, and was purely subscribing to DDI for updates to the well-made, and no longer supported, Offline Character Builder. Thank you for the previous services that you have provided in the past. I am sorry that our relationship has needed be terminated in this fashion.

Addendum: I have sent this twice, and clicked the "Deactivate Auto-Renew" button on the Order history, page, but am in doubt as to whether the message has been received, considering the poor quality of the DDI "Account Tools" pages."
Well I cancelled my auto renew I have teh old CB and all the patch files once my sub runs out unless something is done with the new CB that is truely amazing I will treat WoTC just like I did the USPS and not give them another cent.

Im not a believer in supporting companys who shot themsleves in the feet.
And as I am currently running a super heros game and a space based game in a far off mellenium I wont miss it. 

There's currently 42,773 ddi subscribers. Lets see if the number really moves that much over the next couple of months.
Don't believe everything you think Ranger.jpg
There's currently 42,773 ddi subscribers. Lets see if the number really moves that much over the next couple of months.

It's gone up about 200 since they announced the web-based builder (Mac users?), and 100 or so of that since the 16th. That is only those that also have a forum account. So the actual number is higher. I wonder how many have logged for a month to get the last chance to get the offline builder legally? I also wonder how many of those are like me where they have cancelled their auto-renew, and won't actually disappear for a good few months yet.

Mine expires in May, but I will probably ask for a refund in the next couple of months if nothing has improved. 
I think that some of the rise is people logging into the community site for the first time just to complain.  There were a lot of <10 post posters.

But still, my guess is that in 3 months there will still be 42000 users.  Maybe more, if some parents think a years sub would be a nice christmas gift.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Poll Here

I'm surprised that only about 14% actually tried the character builder and decided to cancel from that.

Also, I think the poll is a bit off. It doesn't have an option for "I'll try it for another month and decide," that's lumped into the "continuing to subscribe" option. Also, it only polls the subset of D&D players who post on enworld, which probably skews towards hardcore players. So the actual numbers of dissatasfied customers to DDI might be higher.

The two important figures in that poll are (at time of posting):

I have an account and will continue to subscribe. 44.58% 

Which I think doesn't include people that have cancelled their auto renew, since they don't intend to continue to subscribe.

And

I was not subscribed, but will be starting a subscription or have started one recently. 1.25%
I was occasionally subscribing to update my CB and will be getting a full subscription now. (barely worth mentioning with 1 respondent) 0.42%

So of people that have tried it...

They have kept 44.58% with the recent changes. They have gained 1.67% with the recent changes and they have lost 43.75% of all the people that have ever tried the D&DI (some due to recent changes, some for other reasons), some of which will probably only show up when the current subscription expires. 10% of people couldn't care less about the D&DI by the looks of things.

Was the move against piracy (which is all this really was), worth losing nearly half your current subscribers? Only time will tell.

I think that some of the rise is people logging into the community site for the first time just to complain.

I hadn't even considered existing users creating community accounts to complain that would certainly explain the sudden rise since it wasn't publicised particularly well.

I just cancelled my subscription because of the joke of the new CB.

if they get the old CB back and update it monthly as it was I will go back
to subscribe but untill then I will not buy a thing from them.

will be intresting to see on how long I still have the DDi symbol
I cancelled my autorenew (ends in a week) and the rest of my group cancelled their subs as well.  See my post here.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...