Dragon 393 - Class Acts: Hexblades, The Lady’s Gift

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.pngDragon 393
Class Acts: Hexblades, The Lady's Gift

by Robert J. Schwalb

This article introduces the Lady's sword of the White Well as a new fey pact weapon for those who would win the Lady of the White Well’s favor.

Talk about this Article here.

I've reached a dilemma:

On one hand, I could easily refluff the contents of this article to feature the Lady of the Lake and Excalibur.

On the other hand, the idea of a White Lady and her boons, and the fluff suits VERY well to being twisted to one of my setting's chief antagonists, the White Queen Gwenhidw (an Archfey who isn't bound by a well). 

Regardless, I love this article.  I thought that the Winter Court being the source of the Fey weapon was uncharacteristic of many of my Fey Pactees, and that hopefully this article will be followed up by ones for the Gloaming Fey and the Summer Court at the very least (though I could see the Court of Thorns getting one soon, due to it's tie to Nerath and the Nentir Vale).

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I don't have HoTFK on my hands at the time, but isn't the article missing a Level 13 feature, Superior Pact Weapon, to improve the at-will?

Apart from that, it's great stuff. It still surprises me how well the expansions for Essentials builds can work. 
My blog about 4e rules and news: Square Fireballs The Magic Item Reset: A standalone set of items for 4E

The Hexblade just keeps getting better and better, the fluff is good to, and it is easily converted to any home brew campaign.

To be or not to be.......Bill couldn't decide if he like the idea of being a Bard or possibly a Warlord or maybe a Spell singer........
a romantic hexblade...

perfect for a fey pact

thanks to the authore and kudos to him! 
IMAGE(http://badge.facebook.com/badge/1105914135.325.1281987627.png)
In HotFK, the hexblade gets nothing at 13th level. The superior pact blade upgrade was on for the star pact build for some reason.
In HotFK, the hexblade gets nothing at 13th level. The superior pact blade upgrade was on for the star pact build for some reason.

And probably will be removed for the compilation.

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I may resubscirbe for this and the star pact. But first, is the pact still dex based? Also roughly what does the at-will do, damage type? Finally is the pact sword still a light blade?
Linked here for official discussion.  Thanks, Max.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Yes, the Fey Pact is always Cha-Dex.
The at-will does Radiant and more Radiant.
The weapon is a Heavy Blade, because Excalibur was a Longsword, and it's obvious that this is an PoLandic version of the Lady of the Lake and Excalibur story.

Good flavor; decent, thematic crunch. Steve, MORE LIKE THIS.

I also like the fact that you can dove-tail existing Fairy Pact stuff into it. Sub-builds are a design space that needs more exploration.

You know someone's gonna write up some anime Epic Destiny where you end up marrying this chick and there are roses and slow songs and impractical hairstyles and everything.

Too bad there is no cooshee (Las-shee?) to tell everyone she's stuck in the well. Then again, I always saw Timmy as a Damien-like Infernal Pact guy.
D&DNext: HTFU Edition
What's Soul Step? I didn't see a power called that.

Level 16: Improved Fey Pact Boon
Benefit: When you use soul step, you become insubstantial until the end of your next turn. 
What's Soul Step? I didn't see a power called that.

Level 16: Improved Fey Pact Boon
Benefit: When you use soul step, you become insubstantial until the end of your next turn. 

It's the Fey Pact Boon.  It's in Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms.  This is merely a feature replacement article.  It doesn't work without the original book material.

Basically, when you down an enemy, or an enemy is downed next to you, you can teleport your Dex mod.

generally, this article is great.

however, i do have several issues with white well invocation:

i) where is the aura 1 located?  i assume that it is centered on "you"; and

ii) as written, 9 times out of 20, this level 12 utility power provides no utility other than filling the aura with bright light (did i mention that this is a level 12 power?).

i recommend a rewrite of the power, as follows:

Effect: You activate an aura 1 that remains centered on you and that lasts until the end of the encounter or until you dismiss it as a minor action. The aura is filled with bright light. Whenever you take damage while the aura is active, you become insubstantial until the start of your next turn and you roll a d20. On a roll of 10 or higher, you can teleport up to 5 squares as an immediate reaction. On a roll of 1 or 2, you are dazed until the start of your next turn. Otherwise, nothing happens.
generally, this article is great.

however, i do have several issues with white well invocation:

i) where is the aura 1 located?  i assume that it is centered on "you"; and

ii) as written, 9 times out of 20, this level 12 utility power provides no utility other than filling the aura with bright light (did i mention that this is a level 12 power?).

i recommend a rewrite of the power, as follows:

Effect: You activate an aura 1 that remains centered on you and that lasts until the end of the encounter or until you dismiss it as a minor action. The aura is filled with bright light. Whenever you take damage while the aura is active, you become insubstantial until the start of your next turn and you roll a d20. On a roll of 10 or higher, you can teleport up to 5 squares as an immediate reaction. On a roll of 1 or 2, you are dazed until the start of your next turn. Otherwise, nothing happens.

Post these comments in the errata thread.

Im fine with the level 12 utility because it takes no action for the response. So if your attacked multiple times you have multiple chances to go insubstantial and teleport. Having the benefit trigger only 55% of the time is fine as it lasts the whole encounter. Encounter long insubstantial when attacked would be brokenly good.
The article says that the Pact Weapon is less accurate than typical Fey weapons (which explains the +2 prof vs. +3) yet the At-will attacks Reflex instead of AC... That more than makes up for any loss in accuracy. IIRC, this is the only melee At-Will for Hexblades that doesn't attack AC... Probly a typo.
Post these comments in the errata thread.

thanks.  i will.
I have to say, between what I've seen of this, the star pact, and the preview for the Infernal hexblade from the HotFK preview... The hexblade might be the most awesome alternate build I've seen in recent time. Plus, it has a nice story to it. I really like this article, keep it coming. ^^
You know someone's gonna write up some anime Epic Destiny where you end up marrying this chick and there are roses and slow songs and impractical hairstyles and everything.

Well, it wouldn't be TOO hard... I mean, there's already the Fey Leige epic destiny, so with some modifications to that it could be made to make it more Lady of the White Well appropriate. Hopefully without the silly hair and the slow motion with shiney technicolor backgrounds.
FANTASTIC article! One of the best they have had in awhile. Nice fluff except where Corellon gets pissy.

I am really loving the Hexblade - now I just want a Dark Pact Hexblade.
FANTASTIC article! One of the best they have had in awhile. Nice fluff except where Corellon gets pissy.

Why shouldn't Corellon get pissy?  He's just as Unaligned as Kord is.  He should act more like a Greek God than a perfect, nice patron of the arts.  Wild and amoral fey are his creations: he should be just as wild and amoral (though still ordering the universe with the other gods).

The Fey flavor is awesome. Truly magical warriors.

Mechanically, the Cha-Dex Feyblades are the favored class of ... the Drow race.

There are many Drow characters that take up this class.

What about those Drow who live in the Feywild? These are the ones who chose to never follow Lolth, who never descended into the Underdark. They are the many Noneladrin Fey, who are Cha-Dex, who roam the Feywild to this day. A number of Archfey come from this Cha-Dex family. What do the mechanics for pre-fallen or redeedmed Drow look like?

Why shouldn't Corellon get pissy?  He's just as Unaligned as Kord is.  He should act more like a Greek God than a perfect, nice patron of the arts.  Wild and amoral fey are his creations: he should be just as wild and amoral (though still ordering the universe with the other gods).

Because Chaotic Stupid as a deific alignment is an ancient trope that needed to die back in ancient Greece. I object to 'lolrandom' as a synonym for 'capricious'. There's nothing unaligned about getting pissed for no good reason and then taking it out on someone who wasn't even involved. It's stupid and counter to pretty much everything else written about 4E Corellon, who otherwise isn't generally depicted as stupid and often is depicted as leaning more on the good side of unaligned.

The other stupid is a sidebar in Divine Power where they have him and Sehanine aligned with Khala and Zehir in the whole 'lawl eternal night and winter' thing. Which is both counter to everything else and completely retarded since he's the god of Spring.

I wonder if Schwalb wrote that sidebar, too.

It's spelled Corellon Larethian, not Correlon, Correllon, Correlllon, Corellion, Correlian or any other way of getting it wrong. I'm a total grognard and I still play 4E.

Because Chaotic Stupid as a deific alignment is an ancient trope that needed to die back in ancient Greece. I object to 'lolrandom' as a synonym for 'capricious'. There's nothing unaligned about getting pissed for no good reason and then taking it out on someone who wasn't even involved. It's stupid and counter to pretty much everything else written about 4E Corellon, who otherwise isn't generally depicted as stupid and often is depicted as leaning more on the good side of unaligned.

The other stupid is a sidebar in Divine Power where they have him and Sehanine aligned with Khala and Zehir in the whole 'lawl eternal night and winter' thing. Which is both counter to everything else and completely retarded since he's the god of Spring.

I wonder if Schwalb wrote that sidebar, too.

And I'll repeat the argument:  Corellon.  Is.  FEY.  Portfolio notwithstanding, caprice is his very nature.  You want to apply your foolish mortal notions of logic and reason?  Fine, you'll just end up looking stupid.  Corellon is fey.  Your ideals do not apply.
Corellon is a God. He is not himself a fey being anymore than I am. Ridiculous ideas that all fey are just completely stupidly random for no reason at all other than that they're stupidly random do not apply to him. And again, lolrandom is not 'capricious', it's 'lolrandom' Chaotic Stupid. Cute personal attack, though. 
It's spelled Corellon Larethian, not Correlon, Correllon, Correlllon, Corellion, Correlian or any other way of getting it wrong. I'm a total grognard and I still play 4E.

Fey personify fate. They are mysterious and powerful, and far-sighted.

Fey seem 'capricious' to humans, only because the human attention span is too short to keep track of what the Fey are doing.

The Fey are the opposite of Chaotic Stupid. They have absolute - longterm - agendas. Humans, with silly things of little consequence, just keep on interrupting the Fey.

Corellon is a God.

And gods create things... maybe Corellon took part in creating what you refer to as "chaotic stupid," behavior?

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

*facepalm* Please tell me you didn't seriously just ask that question. Dear gods, is it so hard to comprehend that that particular part of the fluff is bloody stupid? The rest is a serviceable, if pedestrian, offering, but the 'lawl our gods are ****es' thing drags it down and needs to stop. Even Sehanine looks like a jerk here. It's just dumb. I'm a FR fan. I'm tired of 'lawl gods are stupid ****es who engage in a constant soap opera'. Is it too much to ask to want, just once, for there to be something involving the gods in which they *aren't* morons?

Since they wouldn't be gods then, yes.
So you propose that being incredibly stupid is a requirement for being a god? *facepalm* My brain, it hurts.
No, really, humanlike or even less moral than humanlike behaviour is something that Unaligned Gods SHOULD be doing, especially the Gods who CREATED the Fey IN THEIR OWN IMAGE. 

This is completely within Corellon's character – he isn't Good, he's Unaligned.  He's driven by his passions – he's the god of art and arcana.  He's as likely to kill someone over his anger or his lust as he is to save someone in his love or out of favour for their talents.  Corellon, the Unaligned God of the Fey, Art, Arcana, and Spring passion is NOT the same as Corellon Larethian, God of the Perfect and Good in Every Way Elves, of Forgotten Realms

When it comes to elven Gods, everything Nai Calus says should be completely ignored.

The article was pretty solid and Hexblade is interesting. Hexblades in general just need some more paragon path and feat support. It is good to see decent builds of these classes appearing in Dragon.
The Eladrin get their racial bonus to Intelligence. As their archetype, I doubt 'passion' is what motivates Corellon, except perhaps passion for intellectual (Int) or artistic (Cha) pursuits. Neither of these motivations are Chaotic Stupid.
The Eladrin get their racial bonus to Intelligence. As their archetype, I doubt 'passion' is what motivates Corellon, except perhaps passion for intellectual (Int) or artistic (Cha) pursuits. Neither of these motivations are Chaotic Stupid.

High Int has nothing to do with motivation or passion. Wisdom is more akin to being wise not to act out in fits of emotion. Having the high intelligence means you know how to screw other people even better.  Look at the traditional view of the fey in any mythology, wild, emotionally charged, and prone to mood swings. The god of the fey should be no different

That said, love the new build and the self promoting synergy it has.
High Int has nothing to do with motivation or passion. Wisdom is more akin to being wise not to act out in fits of emotion.

Animals can have surprisingly high 'Wisdom', and they act out of fits of emotion. They lack reason and rationality.

Eladrin have exceptionally high Intelligence (logic, rationality, problem solving, memory). Eladrin also have exceptionally high Charisma (mystique, force of presence, subtle and aggressive influence, charm, appeal, intimidation). Heh, for one thing. Eladrin love to debate! They are good at it. Their debating skills flourish during both their arcane research-and-developement and their courtly intreagues.

Here are some important Eladrin character concepts:

• The scientist:
in arcane research towers that function as academies, in a culture that pressures members to preform well in their arcane studies. The artist: wielding magic as their medium of expression in revelries. The courtier: the Eladrin Fey courts coordinate their networks of arcane research towers. Thus political influence and intreague in the courts translate directly into access to magical power.

These three motivations enjoy official support.
In contrast to Eladrin, Elves are explicitly passionate.
Intelligence is not oppositional to passion and intensity. 

Look at Vegeta.  He's extremely intelligent, perhaps the most intelligent character on that show.  But for much of the middle of the show (the Androids and Cell era), he's dominated by rage and anger, by his passions and his drive to be the best.  That doesn't mean he's lost his intelligence.  Note that he doesn't increase his muscle mass to slowing speed like his son does, becuase he knows what will happen. 

Int is NOT antithetical to amoral passions and rage.  Corellon is not Chaotic Stupid; he's extremely intelligent, but also take to extreme states of passion and anger.  He's an undeniable god. 

Int is NOT antithetical to amoral passions and rage.  Corellon is not Chaotic Stupid; he's extremely intelligent, but also take to extreme states of passion and anger.  He's an undeniable god. 

I can live with that. What matters is why the character is passionate. I mean, cmon, Corellon is Fey! Hes like Swedes gone wild! He doesnt care who sleeps with who.

I cant see Corellon caring who his sister-consort sleeps with. Now, if Lolths trick somehow screwed up some cosmic magic ritual that Corellon was working on. That might annoy him.
I don't necessarily equate possessiveness with lawfulness.  Fey can be VERY controlling, just as demons can be very possessive and controlling.  The more chaotic the system, the more rage and anger keeps people in line. 

They're wild, and difficult to understand.  I can definitely see Corellon being VERY possessive of Sehanine.  He's the sort of guy to have a huge harem of women: Sehanine, Lolth, various immortal and fey beings, etc.  And get jealous beyond reason when any one of them is adulterous to him.

Surely Sehaine and Lolth have many of their own consorts who they sleep with.

I cant see Corellon caring about who his sister-consort has 'revelries' with.

If anything, it was Lolth who demanded to dominate Corellon to make him part of her harem! That would suit her flavor.

The Eladrin care more about magic, less about sexual politics. Eladrin dont have a gender-divided society, and the gender status makes less sense.

With regard to the Lady of the White Well: her quest probably has less to do with finding the 'perfect husband', and more to do with her own warlockry, in search of a perfect channeler for her arcane magic. An arcane soulmate. In the mean time, nothing stops her from dallying with every suitor (male or female!) who happens to dip into her 'well'.

That said, I do think the article is right to draw on medieval romances for inspiration. I appreciate tweaking it it for a modern audience and an Eladrin context.