Virtual Table Announced

176 posts / 0 new
Last post
Questions? Comments?  Concerns?

Lay it all out

Here is the original announcement: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Makes me think of Fantasy Grounds (not that this is a bad thing).  I think it's a much more attainable goal than the whole 3D modelling fiasco that was attempted at launch.
IMAGE(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/SoulCatcher78/techdevil78.jpg)
Wow! i was sure this idea was totally dead.  Should be interesting to see how it develops. I'm glad they scrapped the "fancy graphics" and such of the original, and went to something a bit simpler in it's presentation, but likely much easier to use and add functionality to.
Just a quick note.  The title of this thread is wrong.  Its the Virtual Table.  Not the Virtual Table Top.  Brand would probably be upset if I didn't correct that.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

I've been cancelled for a while now but if it works WELL and they bring up the number of characters you can use in the new only online only CB this has a high probability of getting me to re-sub
I confess that I am absolutely astonished to see this. I had zero expectations they'd do it.

Anyway, I wish 'em luck with it. I'm done with DDI, but I hope they pull it off.
I'm not entirely certain what the point is now, especially if it doesn't integrate with the online Character Builder and (future) Monster Builder. I already have that, for free, on multiple platforms, and it has great depth and flexibility, should I decide I need it. Oh, and it works well, too. It's called Maptool + Skype.

No integration with other online tools = fail.
Q: Does the VT integrate with other web-based insider tools like the Character Builder or the upcoming web-based Monster Builder?
A: At this point the VT does not integrate with our web-based tools.

Yeah, I'm not going to tell you guys how to run your business, but that might be a feature you want to have at launch. Or do I have to create my character twice; once for the CB and once for the VT?
Hahaha, I knew it!
Oh Content, where art thou?
I'm not entirely certain what the point is now, especially if it doesn't integrate with the online Character Builder and (future) Monster Builder. I already have that, for free, on multiple platforms, and it has great depth and flexibility, should I decide I need it. Oh, and it works well, too. It's called Maptool + Skype.

Wow your right didn't read the FAQ till I read your post

Q: Does the VT integrate with other web-based insider tools like the Character Builder or the upcoming web-based Monster Builder?

It seems like such a no brainer that I just assumed you would be able to push a button and port a toon or a monster into the VT.    Wow, just wow. 
Q: What is the pricing going to be on the finished product?
A: We have not finalized any pricing decisions at this time.

Um...this implies it's not a part of the regular DDi subscription—or am I reading too much into it? They might be referring to pricing for people who aren't DDi subscribers, perhaps, since it'll be included with the DDi subscription normally...right?
To be perfectly honest I assume it doesn't work with the online CB (that doesn't have export yet) and not-yet-in-existence Online Monster Builder, right now, and would assume it would by the time it launched officially. keep in mind they're only announcing the CLOSED BETA.  I think it might be a little early to be jumping all over them for it not being a complete product yet.
In fairness, integrating their tools with a Java based app isn't that hard. I can do it with MapTool and raw text; I'm sure they can rig up a means to do it with all the data at hand, and only one Game System to cover.
Integration:
Keep in mind the critical words that the VRT doesn't integrate at this point.  (Yeah, yeah, "soon" hahaha .) It shows their hand a little (IMHO) that it's a feature they're working on.  As the tool is only now entering beta, it may well be a launch feature.  We don't know yet.

Pricing:
I would hope/assume this will be part of DDI - but DDI is still priced under what was originally stated to be it's planned cost (due in part to this feature being missing).

This might also mean we'll start to see ala carte pricing as many (myself included) have been asking for for some time now.  
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

I'd much rather have a working D&D VT out, and have them work on integration afterwards, then hold up release (even if only beta) of D&D VT to get integration working.
To be perfectly honest I assume it doesn't work with the online CB (that doesn't have export yet) and not-yet-in-existence Online Monster Builder, right now, and would assume it would by the time it launched officially. keep in mind they're only announcing the CLOSED BETA.  I think it might be a little early to be jumping all over them for it not being a complete product yet.

I agree dr. oct

Not really. It's not that egregious to keep two browser windows open at the same time.

Which you would be doing anyway with your solution.

Hmm. I'm going to have to make a VTT feature request thread, aren't I?
Oh Content, where art thou?
Like others have mentioned, it is a safe bet to figure that they are going to start with the basic table top interface, and then once the bugs for that have been worked out, they will start adding the integration of the various tools.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Hmm. I'm going to have to make a VTT feature request thread, aren't I?

I thought about doing so, but I haven't had the time to keep up my CB Request thread.

With it being a beta and all, it's definately not a task I want to take on.   
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

What has the Character Builder done to my optimism?

Whether this is going to happen or not, it's quite a smoke screen.

Celebrate our differences.

Interesting, but I'm not sure I'd ever use it.

If the sub-price goes up and there's no way of opting out of the VTT (which I don't expect there will be, anymore than you can opt out of anything else atm) that pretty much garuntees I'm not going to resub.

Now where's my Visualiser

Wow your right didn't read the FAQ till I read your post

It seems like such a no brainer that I just assumed you would be able to push a button and port a toon or a monster into the VT.    Wow, just wow. 

Yeah how dare they not release something yet with it not being done yet......wait what? It is not even in the closed beta yet! Calm down and eat a cookie.

It's called TokenTool. Wink
Interesting, but I'm not sure I'd ever use it.

If the sub-price goes up and there's no way of opting out of the VTT (which I don't expect there will be, anymore than you can opt out of anything else atm) that pretty much garuntees I'm not going to resub.

Don't take this the wrong way as I would not pay 1 penny for something I did not want, however what part of the world are you in were you can post to a website yet are getting all up in arms about less then 33 cents a day?
I can't really form an opinion about 'virtual table' base on a Alpha screen shot.  It could be the best thing ever, it could be the worst thing ever and it will probably end up somewhere in between. 
It's a cool thought and if they integrate the CB and the MB into it then it'll be a very nice tool to use for those folks who can't always get together. 

Ummmm it's in that thing above your shoulders- between your ears... ;)
Visualizer wont be in demand because it looks like the VTT is two dimensional. Which is fine by me.

Now all we need is a dungeon tile map builder thats able to import maps to the VTT, integrate a working MB with the VTT, and get the bugs in the character builder fixed. Then it's all good.
My gaming group plays entirely online every week using map tools. This announcement just about made me stand up and cheer. I know there are a lot of naysayers bout online anything, but I'll be the first to fully admit that I'd pay for this (keep paying since I'm still a subscriber) and I think it's freakin' awesome that it's on the table. 

Things I'd like to see -
Import my characters from the builder.
Import my monsters from the monster builder. 
Tracking initiative
Tracking conditions and expirations on them
Templates for spells/auras

(edit: added)
Save the state of the game and reload later

If you guys have not looked at maptools, check out the custom 4e framework built by Deviant Null (forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=...). This thing has some killer functionality and the the biggest problem is importing monster/character tokens (which someone built a tool to do, but it's still a little quirky). Still, this framework + maptools is THE best tool I've found for playing 4e online.

Did I mention I DM online EVERY week with my group...  (*hint, hint* *nudge, nudge*)

The Procurator. A web-based character sheet builder for any game. http://www.theprocurator.net

So if it doesn't integrate with any of the other tools, are you just pushing it out so you can send Cease and Desists to the maptools guys? V:
I really hope that there's some kind of group-use functionality, so I can use this to run games that my non-subscribing players can connect to. I'd actually be willing to pay a slightly larger "group subscription" fee for this functionality and an easy way to share my CB usage rights with my group (i.e., have a password that I can give out separate from my account password).

Please remember that this is a social game, Wizards!
...and that's the news from Lake 4th Edition, where the Gnomes are strong, the Half-Orcs are good-looking, and all the PCs are above average.
So if it doesn't integrate with any of the other tools, are you just pushing it out so you can send Cease and Desists to the maptools guys? V:

Well, seeing as how all they're "pushing out" is a BETA, that means there's still time for integration of that kind of functionality. 

I really hope that there's some kind of group-use functionality,

I second this one big time. I'd pay a bit more for this functionality as well since basically I'm the only person who has a DDI subscription since my players never DM. If they can't login the whole thing would be a wash.

The Procurator. A web-based character sheet builder for any game. http://www.theprocurator.net

What has the Character Builder done to my optimism?

Whether this is going to happen or not, it's quite a smoke screen.

I smell cynicism! I confess that I had the same "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" thought, though, which probably just means I need a break from this place.

In fairness, a Java-based VTT should be pretty straightforward, so I'm guessing it'll happen.
I'm excited to try this, but based on WotC track record (it seems silly to announce this just after the massive failed launch of the new CB) and how bare bones the screenshot looks - I just hope they don't go after Maptool.

I'm excited to try this, but based on WotC track record (it seems silly to announce this just after the massive failed launch of the new CB) and how bare bones the screenshot looks - I just hope they don't go after Maptool.

MapTool is likely safe; they don't endorse any particular use of their tool. Framework makers, though, may be C&D targets. It's paranoid, but that doesn't mean they aren't out to getcha.
II just hope they don't go after Maptool.

Maptool is a generic tool that isn't system specific. Some people have made frameworks, but none of the frameworks contain any actual data from WoTC. There isn't anything for them to "go after". Maptool will be fine.

I second this one big time. I'd pay a bit more for this functionality as well since basically I'm the only person who has a DDI subscription since my players never DM. If they can't login the whole thing would be a wash.

I think this is going to be one of the ways that Wizards looks to get everyone to stop using a friend's account and sign up for DDI. If you want to play WoW together at the same time, you can't do it on one account, and I suspect VT will be the same. Each of you will need to be logged into your own accounts in order to participate in the game session together.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that everyone who is using it should have to pay for the service.

MK
I've used Fantasygrounds on a regular basis for years now, so I'll be anxious to see how this compares.  If there is (eventually) a way to import characters and monsters directly from other parts of DDI, I'll be sold right there.  Most of what I have run recently are LFR modules, so I guess the other part would be having a map tool that can bring in dungeon tiles.

It's all just Beta stages right now, though, so I'll just sit back and hope that it ends up being people who use online tabletop tools that are doing  the beta testing.
Sign In to post comments