I CAN EXPORT FROM ONLINE CB

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
That's right. I successfully exported a character from the online CB.
I saved it to my system.
Loaded it up within the old CB offline.
Modified it.
And re-imported it.

I suppose I should ask....How did you do this?
I posted how to an export earlier it's logged in the Help thread.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... 

Probably counts as a breach of Terms of Use.

I'm assuming using the debug tab in vecna.wizards.com

Yes it's how I was able to enable inherent bonuses on a Dark Sun character as well.

Yes it's how I was able to enable inherent bonuses on a Dark Sun character as well.

Correct. This is what I also did.
Went to Debug tab and copied it off, saved it. Even opened it in CB offline.

Have you tried it with an essentials character? I've only been mucking about with an old  .dnd4e file I had that had inherent bonuses enabled, as I don't have access to the offline builder where I am.
I deleted and house made items from al my characters and imported them and the CB seems to be working fine now...
I have a couple questions so I'll post them here.
How do we save the character without having to leave or go back to the home page?
Can we cut and paste things that are missing such as mannerisms and personality traits from the old CB?
I tried it and right clicking only brings up silverlight.

How is it a breach?

You need an account to even login and get there. So not like WotC isn't making money. I need to have an active account.

It allows me to save my Dark Sun character and send it to my DM

He then logs into CB online with his account and imports it.

Where's the Breach??
Have you tried it with an essentials character? I've only been mucking about with an old  .dnd4e file I had that had inherent bonuses enabled, as I don't have access to the offline builder where I am.

You can export an essentials character and import it into the old CB, but the power choices will not be valid, so you'll end up having to re-do them. I'd expect many other choices to not be valid as well - I didn't do an exhaustive check.

I also exported a custom (not Essentials) character and tried to upload it to iPlay4e without success; something about the format of the export file seems sufficiently different that iplay4e can't parse it.

Yeah, I did a Dark Sun.

while CB offline gave no errors. When you look at Race it's a house rule.
and under location it said Dark Sun Theme
and the theme is house ruled
The powers also are house ruled

All these house ruled items have no text.
So unfortunately it won't add this information

but old stuff works fine.

You can export essentials characters without trouble, but the CBC has some trouble opening them.  Any edits to them should be done by hand in the .dnd4e file itself (notepad is your friend) and then reuploaded.  Useful for pyromancers for instance.
I deleted and house made items from al my characters and imported them and the CB seems to be working fine now...
How do we save the character without having to leave or go back to the home page?

The last tab "Managing your character" has a save button on the right, that is green if you have done any changes I think.

Can we cut and paste things that are missing such as mannerisms and personality traits from the old CB?

Ctcl+V and Ctrl+C seem to work in editable text fields but you cannot select any text in the actual program other than within editable fields.

How is it a breach?

You need an account to even login and get there. So not like WotC isn't making money. I need to have an active account.

Where's the Breach??

Section 8 part (g) 

Knew it would be, somewhere. 

The last tab "Managing your character" has a save button on the right, that is green if you have done any changes I think.

Ctcl+V and Ctrl+C seem to work in editable text fields but you cannot select any text in the actual program other than within editable fields.

Thanks for that..
One more question?
Is there a journal section like on the old builder that allows us to keep track of our adventures each week?
I see a session/campaign area, but no journal.

Section 8 part (g) 

You could still argue that you're using the site vecna.wizards.com as it was intended... it would be a stretch, but I'm not sure it's absolutely clear.  That being said, I fully expect them to get around to stopping that exploit once they have time to (hence the blank Mage file in my signature).
Has anyone had any luck uploading a Dark Sun character to iPlay4e?  I tried and it gave me an invalid character file error.  I'm guessing the theme RulesElement is making it choke.

Is there a journal section like on the old builder that allows us to keep track of our adventures each week?
I see a session/campaign area, but no journal.

I imagine that might still be in the code somewhere, but just not available to access via the crippled front end we have at the moment.

So no, not available at this time to my knowledge. 
Place bets on whether they'll lock this down first or actually add a little checkbox to the online CB to allow us to enable inherent bonuses :3

How do you add in all the code for inherents and FORGET the check box?

By rushing an unfinished project in a desperate attempt to placate the furious masses.
79189613 wrote:
Of course what you guys say matters! But there are some things - like the offline access option - that are not possible, sorry.
At a glance, I'm amazed the old CB can read that file.  It's significantly different from the old .dnd4e XML files.  DnD4eCM won't read it, and the amount of changes to make it work are enough that I think I'll wait for an official export, to be sure what the new file type is gonna be, before I recode it.

Just a wild guess here, but perhaps because the actual character builder engine that does the calculation is really just the same one we have in the offline character builder*.

All they have done changed the User Interface so that Silverlight can act as a front end, and it can run over the web.

So all they have done is spent six months building a front end User Interface to a code engine that we have had all along. But in building that interface they forgot to add lots of the goodies we were use to having, like holding a Versatile weapon two-handed and the inherent bonus option. All that stuff is still there in the good old offline builder that is sat on their server (although somehow updated to Essentials and Dark Sun which they said was too tricky).

So if you import an old character the offline builder on their server recognises all the code for inherent bonuses and the other crippled features and supports them, but your crippled new web-based User Interface end does give you the facilities to actually switch them on or off.

I see you behind the curtain Wizard of Oz.

* If it isn't the same program at the very least it seems clear that they have imported a load of code from the old builder rather than start from scratch with a built for web application. On the plus side it might mean a lot of the fixes can be done quickly just by of linking that code up with the new front end, and adding a check-box here and there.
This brings another, more disturbing question: if, as it appears, this software is entirely capable of exporting files to your harddrive, why did they disable the feature?  (They knew we wanted this cability since they made the announcement)

Two reasons come to mind.

1.  They just don't want us to export files: perhaps they see it as a security threat: an exported character is a pirated character!  That or they like making us log in to access our characters: keeps our subsciptions from lapsing.

2.  They knew how pissed we would be, so removed the capability so they could add it later, hoping the addition of a desired feature would create goodwill "Look," we say "They really do care!  Look how fast they got exporting working!  They listen to us!"  Even though this was the plan all along.
This brings another, more disturbing question: if, as it appears, this software is entirely capable of exporting files to your harddrive, why did they disable the feature?

I don't think they have deliberately disabled it. They just never enabled it, as developers they wouldn't have a need to access an exported file, they can see the XML via the debug screen they had access to if they needed.

There are a load of things this builder seems to do that they haven't enabled.

Yeah, the "export" people are talking about here is actually taking debugging info and pasting it into a blank text file. It's not actually an export function.

That being said, it wouldn't take much to add a UI element that essentially does the same thing. My guess is that they honestly didn't think it was an important feature until people started clamoring about it.

How is it a breach?

Where's the Breach??

Section 8 part (g) 

You mean using the character builder to build a character?Cool
Mad Scientist
All that stuff is still there in the good old offline builder that is sat on their server (although somehow updated to Essentials and Dark Sun which they said was too tricky).

I've seen this mentioned before but wasn't able to find the direct quote from WotC about it.  If they said Themes was why DS content was never included in the old builder, they're lying; you can add themes into the old builder just by modifying the XML file the builder uses.  They actually have the info for the Escaped Slave theme in there.

If it was something about defiling or other new class features... well, it's possbile that was the truth.
Modifying the data structure and adding the ability to choose an appropriate theme from the UI/Rules Engine are two different things.

But you knew that right?

I mean, I can manually add Final Fantasy spells into the XML file. Does that mean the old CB supported Final Fantasy spells?
You can add themes into the XML and then select those themes in the builder.  Any need to modify the UI for themes was already done.
in for a penny in for a pound in terms of the ToS

media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/Characte...

fix it and make it work better =)
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below. Download this if you want a copy of the online cb on your hard drive. http://media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/CharacterBuilder/Client/155.231074/CharBuilder.xap export .dnd4e files from the online cb http://vecna.wizards.com/
also the dark sun theme excaped slave shows up in all its glory in the old cb path of powers and fluf/crunch
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below. Download this if you want a copy of the online cb on your hard drive. http://media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/CharacterBuilder/Client/155.231074/CharBuilder.xap export .dnd4e files from the online cb http://vecna.wizards.com/
If someone could tell me how to enable inherent enhancement bonuses on the new CB, I'd appreciate it. (Assuming that it's possible. It seems like it is from what I've read, but I may have misunderstood)
79189613 wrote:
Of course what you guys say matters! But there are some things - like the offline access option - that are not possible, sorry.
If someone could tell me how to enable inherent enhancement bonuses on the new CB, I'd appreciate it. (Assuming that it's possible. It seems like it is from what I've read, but I may have misunderstood)

Post #4 here.

DustyPhoenix. 
Thank you, DP.
79189613 wrote:

hax don't count

Just a wild guess here, but perhaps because the actual character builder engine that does the calculation is really just the same one we have in the offline character builder*.

All they have done changed the User Interface so that Silverlight can act as a front end, and it can run over the web.

So all they have done is spent six months building a front end User Interface to a code engine that we have had all along. But in building that interface they forgot to add lots of the goodies we were use to having, like holding a Versatile weapon two-handed and the inherent bonus option. All that stuff is still there in the good old offline builder that is sat on their server (although somehow updated to Essentials and Dark Sun which they said was too tricky).

So if you import an old character the offline builder on their server recognises all the code for inherent bonuses and the other crippled features and supports them, but your crippled new web-based User Interface end does give you the facilities to actually switch them on or off.

I see you behind the curtain Wizard of Oz.

* If it isn't the same program at the very least it seems clear that they have imported a load of code from the old builder rather than start from scratch with a built for web application. On the plus side it might mean a lot of the fixes can be done quickly just by of linking that code up with the new front end, and adding a check-box here and there.

DING DING DING!

That is precisly what a few of us think.  All the talk about not being able to add essentials into the old CB is most likely that - talk.    

If you ever get a chance, you can take a look at it yourself by comparing the calls that the 2 make and checking out how the old CB works.  It may be more, but right now, I think we got a new UI with all the other CB stuff on the server backend.
WOTC Podcast: "The web is a shortcut" "Piracy was a big thing"
I'm not sure about Essentials, but Dark Sun being unable to be added into the old CB is provably false. The Dark Sun themes were dummied out in the October update. If you have CBLoader you can turn them back on. They work, though as I understand it only some of the themes were actually included before it was cut.
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.

By rushing an unfinished project in a desperate attempt to placate the furious masses.

Nonsense. The "furious masses" didn't want this new version of the CB. They wanted WOTC to update the old one to support Dark Sun and Essentials. In fact, the "furious masses" were only informed of this new product two weeks ago when the launch date was announced (but it had to be in the works for at least a couple of months). And the "furious masses" warned WOTC that many of these issues (like crashes and server lag times) were going to happen, and they pleaded with them to update the old CB first, then launch this when it was fully functional.

So how did they placate anyone?
- Rico
I'm not sure about Essentials, but Dark Sun being unable to be added into the old CB is provably false. The Dark Sun themes were dummied out in the October update. If you have CBLoader you can turn them back on. They work, though as I understand it only some of the themes were actually included before it was cut.

So they removed what they had already done.  Nice - probably the same meeting that had the delete the RPGA content.

Anyways - the more I find out and read, the less I believe the reasons they stated.   
WOTC Podcast: "The web is a shortcut" "Piracy was a big thing"

You can also see that if you export a character with the fighter talent of Arena Training, the old CB has all of the details for that particular talent.

It lists it as a house rule, but the old CB does have all of the text explaining what benefits you have for the talent if you selected it.

So they removed what they had already done.  Nice - probably the same meeting that had the delete the RPGA content.

Anyways - the more I find out and read, the less I believe the reasons they stated.   

Indeed after closer examination the new CB is nothing but the old with a Silverlight interface.

So, basically, all the yadda yadda about essentials being difficult to integrate into the old one is a half-truth. Maybe it was difficult, but at the end, they did it. And I doubt the old interface was the biggest problem...

So they just hid the calculations to make it more difficult to track down the errors and hacks (like +4 -2 bonus/penalty for wearing a shield) and hide the fact that this thing is nothing but a new interface for the old thing.

The only problem is, that the interface of the old CB was by far the better part. So they kept the crap, and reinvented what was basically not bad at all.

It was obvious that the reason for doing this was an attempt to make pirating their stuff more difficult. I can understand that, but I doubt that what they did would help them or anybody.

Btw I like the new interface - IMO it is much more intuitive than the old one. But it is sad that the new thing lacks so much functionality the old one had.

Ceterum censeo scrinium puniceum esse delendam