It's Big, It's Heavy, It's Wood

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Another of those crazy ideas knocking about in my head that I am still a long way off having the cards for. But nonetheless...

EDIT: Updating the decklist to the current incarnation, now that it's in circulation.

It's Big, It's Heavy, It's Wood v1.0
4 * Timber Protector
3 * Dauntless Dourbark
1 * Nemata, Grove Guardian
1 * Verdeloth the Ancient
4 * Treefolk Harbinger
3 * Psychotrope Thallid

4 * Nature's Lore
4 * Life and Limb
4 * Greener Pastures
1 * Gelatinous Genesis
3 * Rootgrapple
2 * Constant Mists
2 * Lignify

20 * Forest
4 * Sapseep Forest

The idea... saprolings/forests galore via Life and Limb and Greener Pastures.
Timber Protector makes it all indestructible.
Dauntless Dourbark profits.
Everything else hangs along for the ride.

Cards that are right on the borderline here:

• Treefolk Harbinger. Tutors for about 75% of the deck, but only sticks it on top of the library (the current land fetchers are putting them out into play).

• Beacon of Creation. A very tempting thought. Would have been an auto-include if it produced Saprolings rather than Insects!

~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Saproling Symbiosis and Parallel Evolution are win more cards. I would not play them myself.

I would play a bit of recursion and more tutoring like Primal Command.

You can easily support 4x Sapseep Forest
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
If you've a spare Gaea's Cradle lying about, Nemata loves it - especially as he, himself makes Cradle increasingly silly with each use.  Yes, its overextending and perhaps win-more, but oh, is it fun!

Lifegift provides a nice life shield in a deck like this; coupled with Sylvan Library and maybe Tornado or an artifact that trades life for cards, and you could be a happy gamer.

Fecundity and Psychotrope Thallid help recover quickly as saps go away.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I have a Fungus deck similar to this one. The key cards are...
Llanowar Druid
Psychotrope Thallid - although Fecundity would likely be just as good.
Biorhythm - for the kill.
a singleton Collective Unconscious (almost draw killed myself, drawing is not optional like Fecundity.)
and the obvious Fungus which of course don't fit your deck
Pallid Mycoderm/Utopia Mycon/Sporoloth Ancient/Sporesower Thallid, ...

I am also running White for...
Supply // Demand
Aura Shards

I have another ramp deck that features (8-Post at the time) 12-Post and 12 Forests, which might also be a good fit if you include 2x your legendary cards.
Well of Knowledge is used for draw
Scapeshift to find the posts.
Essence Warden - to keep my life high
Hurricane/Squall Line - for the kill.

I think the biggest thing your deck is missing is a lack of non-basic lands. The cycling cards should help.
Tranquil Thicket/Slippery Karst
Greener Pastures - is too slow. Saproling Burst or Overrun / Centaur Chieftain

Agree completely about Saproling Symbiosis/Parallel Evolution are win more cards.
You want cards that can help you come back from nothing.
Speaking of coming back from nothing. Massacre/Infest don't see play in your meta?

Budget EDH:EDH on $20 a Deck. Join the Group

I'd really push you to include Treefolk Harbinger.  Tutoring is just too powerful to ignore, especially when it comes cheap, with a body and with your tribe's creature type.

Haave you considered Howl of the Night Pack?  It might be more expensive and not reshuffle into your library afterwards, but it would provide you with better bodies and with all of your ramp the cost is almost a non-issue.

Also, have you considered Oran-Rief, the Vastwood?  It looks like it could really do some fun things for this deck.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Thanks for the replies, all.
Firstly, on Parallel Evolution / Saproling Symbiosis, I was soooo waiting for someone to come in here and just go "O hai just get Doubling Season lololol".
You're probably right that they're somewhat win-more. In this situation, they are purely an accelerant. The only advantage over normal situations is that it's going to give your mana a boost as well if Life and Limb is out. But there are certainly other fun things to throw in in their place!

Now, onto specifics...
@helphelpe: Absolutely right with the Sapseeps. I think Treefolk Harbinger probably needs to be the tutor of choice here, though. If anything, the only other thing I want in a tutor is to be able to find Life and Limb, but green's not too flash at fetching enchantments (at least not in mono-green).

@krichaiushii: I've got a singleton Cradle... no idea which deck it's in ATM, but I'm no doubt keeping it busy in some way. Dead right though - simply awesome with Nemata. I'm hoping that it'd be a similar story with Life and Limb out.
I think if I'm going to put lifegain in here, it probably needs to be Elvish Farmer - I've lost count of the number of games the Farmer has kept me in, and I'll even be able to sacrifice Forests to it here, Zuran Orb style.
Correct about the card advantage, too - I'm wondering if Carnage Altar is enough. Psychotrope might need to swap in for it.

@capitan: Do you know how close I got to splashing white and going for the facesmashery win with Pallid Mycoderm?
If I had, Supply // Demand and Aura Shards were likely auto-includes (along with Sterling Grove to fetch the Life and Limbs and Greener Pastures).
I know Greener Pastures is a somewhat slower option, but that seems to be the phase my playgroup is going through right now (especially after the much-ballyhooed Turn 3 Biorhythm a month or two back). I'll have the time to set this stuff up, and it looks so inocuous that it's probably going under people's radars. Certainly once Life and Limb is out, it's going to be a guaranteed saproling a turn for me (and hence another forest, and hence even more likely to get the sappo the next turn, and...). It's just too cool, synergistic and unexpected for me not to try it! ;)
I've kept solely to forests simply to keep the synergy with Protector and Dourbark. Of course, Sapseep Forest fits well. 12-Post would be an interesting twist, though. I've got 12-Post in one deck already, and have the Cloudposts and Glimmerposts at least for another (so I could roll an 8-Post at the least).
And yeah, no Massacre or Infest at all. The only guy running things like this is me, and even then, I'm only running Volcanic Fallout. The only things I have to worry about here are true global sweeps like WoG and Mutilate. Really, my biggest fear in this deck is Ascendant Evincar or something similar, and I haven't seen him in a while either (plus my playgroup has just put all their Engineered Plagues back in their boxes due to our tribal format banning it) - format exploitation!!

@Cathaldus: Yeah, on second thoughts, I've probably got enough card draw here anyway that I don't care about the Harbinger sticking it on top of my library - I'll just pick it up with Carnage Altar or Rootgrapple (or Psychotrope if I throw it in). Tutoring is just too handy. Plus it would be the deck's first one-drop, which is a good thing to add.
I thought long and hard about Howl of the Night Pack. I have a playset stored away itching to be used. But it kind of falls into the same category as Beacon of Creation - if it'd made saprolings, I'd have been all over it like a rash, but the fact that they're Wolves makes it lineball. It's kind of filling the same slot as Gelatinous Genesis is right now. The Genesis is something I've just laid hands on, and my line of thinking is that if I even sink 20 mana into it, it's almost a game winner. So in other words, if I draw it, and have Life and Limb plus 20 sappos/forests in any combination, it's going to be hard to stop. And I could get to the magic 20 number fairly quickly with this deck.
Oran-Rief tickles my interest!

OK, let's give this a second crack after all the replies. Tough cuts... ouch...

It's Big, It's Heavy, It's Wood v0.2
4 * Timber Protector
3 * Dauntless Dourbark
4 * Treefolk Harbinger
3 * Psychotrope Thallid
1 * Nemata, Grove Guardian
1 * Verdeloth the Ancient

4 * Nature's Lore
4 * Life and Limb
4 * Greener Pastures
3 * Rootgrapple
2 * Constant Mists
2 * Lignify
1 * Gelatinous Genesis

20 * Forest
4 * Sapseep Forest

How did I miss Lignify the first time round? Too good to leave out if we're running Harbingers.

You make me want to revamp my own treefolk deck Tongue out

Treefolk Harbinger works a treat with Leaf-Crowned Elder, but i realise you've got focus on saproling generation too.  Also, i notice you're running a lot of treefolk - you could consider Bosk Banneret with them too Wink
Adopt one today!Adopt one today!Adopt one today!Adopt one today!Adopt one today!
Latest Build
OK, let's give this a second crack after all the replies. Tough cuts... ouch...

It's Big, It's Heavy, It's Wood v0.2

How did I miss Lignify the first time round? Too good to leave out if we're running Harbingers.

With the Timber Protector you don't have to worry about WoG. Wrath will successfully kill Timber Protector, but will fail to kill your Forest/Saprolings and your other treefolk (Mutilate would still be an issue).

As for the current state of the deck. It looks pretty good (although I don't like the Sapseep Forest and would prefer if you added more card draw (Tranquil Thicket. The Harbinger is amazing, since it finds your Rootgrapple for (Planeswalker/Artifact/Enchantment control), or Lignify for creature control as you stated. I would continue with that theme, and include a toolbox of creatures...
Deadwood Treefolk - For some graveyard recursion.
Woodfall Primus - Perhaps as a replacement for Rootgrapple (but this isn't vitally important).
Orchard Warden - For some lifegain (maybe, but once again this isn't that powerful).
Seedguide Ash/Everbark Shaman - For possible acceleration (or to filter out bad draws).
Reach of Branches/Weatherseed Treefolk - As a continual source of creature threats.
Wickerbough Elder - Although Rootgrapple might be better? (Planeswalker&CA vs. Creature threat).
... a couple other treefolk are ok, but aren't that strong for this deck.

I think the weakest cards in your deck are...
Greener Pastures
Gelatinous Genesis
Sapseep Forest

I still think you need some way of killing your opponents in a single attack (or more recurring threats).
Overrun
Beastmaster Ascension
Hurricane - (if you include more lifegain).

Budget EDH:EDH on $20 a Deck. Join the Group

Ever consider Chameleon Colossus?  It's efficient, pumpable to the point of obscene AND has extremely relavent protection.  It also plays well with tribal synergies.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

What about Kamahl, Fist of Krosa or Garruk Wildspeaker?  Both can give you repeatable Overrun effects.

I really think you should add Oran-Rief, the Vastwood.  With the number of creatures coming into play, it can really swing things your way in a hurry.
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
Finally, finally got all pieces for this deck, a few months on.
It was suited up a couple of times Friday night, and took out the five-player free-for-all that it took part in, smashing a quick-fire infect deck for the win.
Some notes from its first run:

This deck is also yet to have a completely gangbusters start (a couple of Nature's Lore, followed by Greener Pastures, Life and Limb and a Timber Protector or two - should be a start that most opponents won't be able to deal with). I'm waiting.