11/17/2010 BoaB: "Burn Notice"

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Nice article! Quest for the Pure Flame is a fun card to build around for sure, but... Mogg Fanatic is no longer legal in Extended after Scars of Mirrodin comes out (it was in Tenth Edition), so you might have to update the list to make up for this loss. Maybe Memnites?
I enjoyed the article. I appreciate the recent honesty that has been prevalent in the recent articles about how these decks work or don't. I really don't mind the copying of other peoples' ideas when you attribute them to the owner. BoaB decks in my mind are the most entertaining and exciting decks to play and the most difficult to build, and the down-to-earthiness of these articles reflect the real difficulty in making a BoaB deck that works.
It's hard to find innovation in the world of burn, but there's one fire mage that never fails to disappoint. Petr Brozek, a pro from the Czech Republic has done an excellent job riding lightning onto the gravy train.

It isn't not untrue that JVL doesn't fail to avoid misusing double negatives.
You heard him. The man never fails to disappoint. Why you would want somebody like that to help you with an article, though, that's beyond me. He clearly doesn't stop never failing to perform not inconsiderably unwell.
I enjoyed the article. I appreciate the recent honesty that has been prevalent in the recent articles about how these decks work or don't. I really don't mind the copying of other peoples' ideas when you attribute them to the owner. BoaB decks in my mind are the most entertaining and exciting decks to play and the most difficult to build, and the down-to-earthiness of these articles reflect the real difficulty in making a BoaB deck that works.

Which is why he frequently doesn't do so and just changes literally 10 cards (21 if you count swapping expensive lands for basics). Replace cards leaving the format with similar new cards? Genius.
Mogg fanatic can be replaced with figure of destiny. with fire&lightning deck it becomes cheaper.
While I like the deck (it´s a good variant of its predecessor) I fear it looses to much if you now also have to remove the fanactics.

The loss of the Keldon Marauders already puts a strain on the strategy with the Quest.  Hellspark is a very sub-par replacement which needs 4 mana and an additional turn to have the same impact as the Marauders. I don´t see a way to replace the fanatics - if you switch them for a playset of figures you can also cut the quest while at it, because there are not enough enabler´s left for it.

While I like the deck (it´s a good variant of its predecessor) I fear it looses to much if you now also have to remove the fanactics.

The loss of the Keldon Marauders already puts a strain on the strategy with the Quest.  Hellspark is a very sub-par replacement which needs 4 mana and an additional turn to have the same impact as the Marauders. I don´t see a way to replace the fanatics - if you switch them for a playset of figures you can also cut the quest while at it, because there are not enough enabler´s left for it.

The problem is that we can't play fanatics in extended. So I just offer a creature for 1 mana. Or maybe it can be Kiln fiend. But it is a 2 mana creature.

The problem is that we can't play fanatics in extended. So I just offer a creature for 1 mana. Or maybe it can be Kiln fiend. But it is a 2 mana creature.

I know and for any typical sligh deck I would say the figure is an excellent suggestion, but it simply doesn´t work very well with the quest Mr. Van Lunen wants to use. I fear there is no decent way to replace the fanatics.
I know and for any typical sligh deck I would say the figure is an excellent suggestion, but it simply doesn´t work very well with the quest Mr. Van Lunen wants to use. I fear there is no decent way to replace the fanatics.

Maybe Goblin Arsonist?  It won't get you a counter immediately, and it can't get you two counters in a turn the way Mogg Fanatic can, but it is almost guaranteed to get one counter on each attack, and can potentially score a 2-for-1.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

Nice article! Quest for the Pure Flame is a fun card to build around for sure, but... Mogg Fanatic is no longer legal in Extended after Scars of Mirrodin comes out (it was in Tenth Edition), so you might have to update the list to make up for this loss. Maybe Memnites?

strange how MTGO allowed him to play mog fanatic in an extended match, all the dekc she played against seem to be extended decks, so it can't be that he was playing classic or any other format.

Obviously it's not allowed and the presence of the car in the match reports asks questions about the article

I thought the same too when I read about Mogg Fanatic. Last printed in 10th Edition, it rotated. Maybe Jake can clear it up next week or here in the forums.

i think it was old extended format, before scars of mirrodin released. Because he says that doran deck used a treetop villages, they also don't allowed in extended.
I would personally say it was a pretty good article. The major factor in his playtest was not just the fact that Mogg Fanatic is no longer in Extended, but also that he didn't play a second or third game against each deck. Truth is that each deck may have had something to deal with the burn deck, but not playing the second or third round kinda' makes the representation of this deck's impact on Extended nearly invalid.

Great deck that I myself may use, but it should always be noted that doing a second and third round are needed to really understand it's impact.
I would personally say it was a pretty good article. The major factor in his playtest was not just the fact that Mogg Fanatic is no longer in Extended, but also that he didn't play a second or third game against each deck. Truth is that each deck may have had something to deal with the burn deck, but not playing the second or third round kinda' makes the representation of this deck's impact on Extended nearly invalid.

Great deck that I myself may use, but it should always be noted that doing a second and third round are needed to really understand it's impact.

True, it was a good article, and I agree some sideboard games would be nice to see. Leyline of Punishment would be nice, but Everlasting Torment would be better. The burn that cannot kill bigger guys could at least make them more manageable. Leyline costs zero if in your opening hand, but wither is just an excellent addition.

Maybe if enough people want it he can redo the deck for New Extended & include a sideboard with example games.

@Fess_: totally, totally missed the treetop village in the doran list, so this must have been "old extended".

Maybe if enough people want it he can redo the deck for New Extended & include a sideboard with example games.

Yes. It would be great.
Without Mogg fanatic, I guess Goblin Arsonist would be the closest substitute.  I wonder about Arc Trail, though: even though it's sorcery speed, it does deal two instances of damage.  Doesn't that add two counters as well, or am I missing something there?
Without Mogg fanatic, I guess Goblin Arsonist would be the closest substitute.  I wonder about Arc Trail, though: even though it's sorcery speed, it does deal two instances of damage.  Doesn't that add two counters as well, or am I missing something there?

Two targets.  You cannot target the opposing player twice with the same Arc Trail.  You must have two targets to announce the spell. 

Goblin Arsonist is very solid.  For extended, I like HellSpark Elemental a lot.