Compiled List of Errors

194 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm going to make an attempt to compile the list of errors that people are reporting on the forums.

Wish me luck...

Errors: Actual error message shows up.

Link: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Error: Time-Out when logging In
Possible Solution: Servers are overloaded. Try refreshing your screen later.

Error: Infinite Recursion bug when creatinga  Mage

Error: Cannot Import Character
Possible Solution: Do not use any spaces or special characters in the file name.
Possible Solution: Do not import a character with house rule elements, or a hybrid character.
Possible Solution: Open Character in latest version of CB Classic, resave it, and try again.

Error: Unable to load the Character Builder.

Error: Service Failure - Template Not Found

Error: Session Timeout when loading Character Builder
Possible Solution: Log out and back in again.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Bugs: No error message, but something doesn't function right.

Bug: Cannot select level 8 Expert Mage

Bug: Shadar-Kai missing +2 bonus to death saves
Missing Feature: Ability to select custom portraits for character.

Bug: Retrained Feats are still listed on the character sheet.

Bug: HotFR is not implimented cleanly across the board.  Essentials Doesn't have it.  Custom does?

Bug: Essentials Character Sheet has 'trained' next to all skills, regardless if trained or not.

Bug: Extreme slowness. Waiting over 30 seconds to select Paragon Path
Possible Solution: Wait until fewer people are using it.

Bug: Imported Character has No Power Cards
Possible Solution: Remove any house-ruled elements from your character, and re-import.

Bug: Staff Expertise is applying its bonus to impliment powers, but not weapon powers.

Bug: Cannot access CB. Gets message to subscribe, even though you are an active subscriber.
Possible Solution: Log out and back in.

Bug: Psionic Dabble doesn't work properly.

Bug: Opening Character Sheet or selecting a theme scrolls to the bottom

Bug: Mindbite Scorn extra damage dice aren't shown on the power card.

Bug: Thief Weapon Talent feat added to damage but not attack.

Bug: Vecna always sends back the entire character sheet in a response to any user action.

Bug: Two-Weapon ranger unable to equip a one-handed weapon in off-hand.

Bug: Unable to select a Dark Sun Theme for an imported character

Bug: Unable to select at-will powers from non-essentials sources

Missing Feature: Some functionality or option is not present.

Missing Feature: Ability to copy/paste a character summary.

Missing Feature: Ability to select multiple backgrounds.

Missing Feature: Mouse Wheel does not function

Missing Feature: Cannot compare multiple weapons in the Marketplace.

Missing Feature: No LFR Campaign Setting

Missing Feature: No LFR Campaign Setting

Missing Feature: Missing various types of Chain armor.
Possible Solution: Masterwork bonuses may already be built in.

Missing Feature: No option to select Divine Classes in Dark Sun
Possible Solution: Use Home Camapign option, but then you lose themes.

Missing Feature: Ability to equip a versatile weapon 2-handed

Missing Feature: Indicator for Set Items, and possibly their bonuses

Missing Feature: Inherent Bonuses option

Missing Feature: Ability to Customize Character Sheet

Missing Feature: Dark Sun Non-Treasure Rewards not available.

Missing Feature: Unable to use Point Buy with a base score other than 22.
Possible Solution: Use Roll Dice tab to customize ability scores.

Missing Feature: No support for weapon impliments.

Missing Feature: No Essentails Style Assassin
Possible Solution: Wait until the issue that the Essassin is in gets included.

Missing Feature: No option for non-subscribers to Demo the new CB

Missing Feature: No House Rule Support

Missing Feature: No warforged available in Dark Sun.

Missing Feature: No ability to delete equipment? And Sell is not intuitive to find.

Missing Feature: Mage's cannot select at-will spells from books other than HotFL.

Missing Feature: Several rituals are missing.
Possible Solution: Check the level restrictions and other filtering options.

Missing Feature: Unable to select powers for hybrid characters in Dark Sun?
Possible Solution: Change Windows Region to USA.

Missing Feature: Character with no power cards, or calculations visible.

Missing Feature: Character Journal

Missing Feature: Ability to Sort/Organize/Filter characters

Missing Feature: Character Sheet Customization, rearrange fields and add/alter text.

Staff Expertise is applying its bonus to implement powers, but not weapon powers.
Character Builder - Known issues list

11/16/2010

TOP KNOWN ISSUES

• Only two character sheets are available.

• Character sheets do not scale properly when shown on screen, but print correctly.

• In the Marketplace section, search is not executed across all categories; you must select a category before searching.

• Total weight does not reflect the weight of the currency carried.

• Importing custom characters from Character Builder Classic may cause crashes. To resolve this, remove all house ruled items and try to reimport again.

• Animal companions and familiars are not printed on the character sheets.

• When changing total XP to a negative value and trying to save, CBE will crash.

• Import of hybrid characters is not working as intended.

• The skill training feats are missing from the Essentials character creation.

CHARACTER SHEETS

• Character sheets are not user customizable.

• Power cards are not customizable.

• There are no multiple weapons power stats.

• Play data cards are not implemented.

• Character sheet is defaulting to Essentials even when the user chooses Character Builder.

• Psychic character power points are not working as intended; power points are not being listed.

• Creating a lower-level character after creating a higher-level character results in blank pages.

CLASSES

• Epic destiny choice cannot be postponed past level 21. If you meet the pre-requisites for the choice after level 21, you will be unable to select it.

• Any character can select a Vadalis Griffon as their beast companion instead of only Vadalis Griffonmasters.

• The Anointed Champion paragon path gives the Helm and Holy Symbol options starting at level 11 (they are not legal until 16).

• Arena weapons from the Arena Training fighter feature are sharing all bonuses instead of just feat attack and damage bonuses.

• Extended Arena Training does not let you pick two additional weapons as arena weapons.

• If you have more than one familiar, such as by Second Familiar, the constant benefits of all are applied instead of just one.

• Luck Blade feature of Luckbringer of Tymora does not enable using the selected weapon as an implement.

FEATS

• Trusted Spellcasting allows the selection of powers with no 'miss' line. Powers that have a 'miss' line but do not deal damage on a miss are not being allowed.

• Arcane Ritualist does not allow for the selection of a ritual, nor can the feat be taken more than once.

• A character that has a multiclass feat will correctly label additional multiclass feats as houseruled. However, if such a second feat is taken anyway, it will no longer show up as houseruled once taken.

• Mark of Scribing doesn't allow a language to be retrained.

• Remembered Knack allows any skill to be selected instead of the specified limits.

• Marked for Death ignores the prerequisite of being able to mark a foe.

ITEMS

• Rhythm Blade's bonuses apply even when wielded in the main hand.

• Spiked Shield is treated as a weapon and does not properly also function as a shield.

• Autobuilding characters will not select the bonus rituals some characters, such as wizards, are entitled to.

• Gem of Colloquy does not give an additional language.

• Armor of Resistance does not allow the type of resistance to be selected.

• Athasian Spellshard cannot be enchanted as a tome.

• Masterwork armor is not renamed for a Dark Sun character to the Dark Sun equivalent names.

• Properties and powers of a magic implement take effect incorrectly when the character is not proficient in the implement.

• Crest of Vigilance Eternal cannot be applied to a shield.

• The set bonus to initiative for Time Wizard's Tools is half the correct value.

• Daggers do not seem to be functioning for sorcerers as implements.

MISC

• Lost Kin background has all skills associated with it instead of only class skills.

• Editing the same character from two different locations can cause unexpected changes.

POWERS

• Characters with the same power from multiple sources, for example a wizard who takes magic missile and has a Master's Wand of Magic Missile, will have only one version of the power.

• The calculated stats for powers include only attack bonus and damage. The builder does not calculate critical hit information, secondary attacks such as for dual-wielding powers, healing, temporary hit points, summoned creatures, nor damage types.

• Synchronized strike and other ranger beast companion powers display hunter's quarry information which is not applicable to beast attacks.

UI

• Certain shared rules elements, such as Channel Divinity, display all possible child powers when viewing rather than just those for the appropriate class.

• Custom character portraits are not implemented.

• Exporting character to a local drive is not implemented.

• Secondary/additional backgrounds cannot be selected.

• Custom items creation/editing is not implemented.

• Campaign settings editor is not implemented.

• The name of the character gets too long when you save too many copies.

• Essentials characters may find some striking similarities in their default character portraits.

• Making multiple copies of the same character will cause the character's name to exceed the expected character name limit.

Mage's cannot select at-will spells from books other than HotFL.
Items: Battle Harness should be available in Hide, Leather varieties and Cloth, but only appears as a Cloth armor.
All of the below I placed as a customer support ticket. I would suggest that posters make it clear whether they have submitted their issues as a ticket. It needs to be done to be sure WotC gets them.

• Class summary header and text spacing: When I click on the class, the text needs a space after the header. Example: "Power Source:Arcane", instead of "Power Source: Arcane". Same is true of other screens like the description for a race.

• Darkspiral Aura lists an attack bonus, when there is no attack roll. 

• When switching from Class to Details screen, the details window on the right did not update when I clicked on the already highlighted option. I had to click on a different option and then click again on the option that had been highlighted.

• As noted in the power cards thread, powers like Decree of Khirad do not list damage bonuses even though damage can be inflicted and applies various elements that need to be calculated (for this power, the damage is if you or the target miss). Powers like Plague of Frogs do not show calculations for secondary damage.

• When selecting on a power, the font is very small. Same for selecting feat options, etc.

• Searching for feats did not seem to work for me. When I type search text, I see no options even if there is a match.

• Retraining is under Manage Your Character, but it is no longer possible to see a list of all current feats in the main powers screen. The powers screen needs to show what has been retrained and provide a current list of powers in a way that the user can click on the retrained options and review them.

• In Inventory, the category "Magic" seems strange to me. 

• When viewing the character sheet, the scroll bar behaves erratically. When I am viewing the first page the part of the scroll bar that indicates the current page position is about 5/6ths of the way down instead of being up at the top.

• When making a PC for the Living Forgotten Realms Organized Play campaign and selecting "Forgotten Realms" as a build filter, I can select options that are not supported by the campaign (or that are core to the setting) such as Dragonmark feats.

• The same is true for the Dark Sun campaign. I can choose Dragonmark feats and Forgotten Realms races and classes (Drow Swordmage), even those racial options are not supported by defalt in the sourcebook and the combination was not allowed in Dark Sun Encounters (and may not be supported in the upcoming Ashes of Athas Organized Play Campaign). 

• If I select a class and a feat (Artificer and then the Mark of Healing feat) and then go and change my class, I get a crash after double-clicking the class.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

"Link: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Missing Feature: Unable to select powers for hybrid characters in Dark Sun?"

Solution : Change your windows' region to usa

There is no slot to equip a holy symbol, forcing it to take up a hand.
It seems like Knight's Greater Combat Readiness isn't properly overwriting normal Combat Readiness. The level 10 Knight I made shows a +7 initiative bonus (half level = 5, CR = 2, or 7 total) when it should be +9 (half level = 5, GCR = 4, 9 total).
The builder doesn't seem to apply free rituals, and I don't see an option for selecting the free starting rituals.

Implements don't seem to apply their bonuses. Eg. Tome of Binding doesn't add the PC's CON mod to the damage for Summoning powers.

Importing a Human PC de-selects all Human options. Eg. Racial ability bonus, racial feat, racial power, racial skill.
There is no slot to equip a holy symbol, forcing it to take up a hand.

Hahahahahaha, he's right. How embarrassing.
When selecting a background I wound up with the flavor text from a Scales of War option listed on every Dark Sun background I checked. Not sure if this was because Scales has flavor text and Dark sun doesn't, or if it was just replacing the Dark Sun flavor text with a previous one I had looked at.
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.
Few that I noticed:
- "experience to next level" listed on character builder sheetis wrong (2250 for level 1 character, 2750 for level 2 character)
- Warforged can't be picked if you select Dark Sun setting (considering I can pick Kalashtar in Dark Sun, and I can pick Mul and Thri-kreen in non DS-setting this is probably a bug)
- Sometimes CB forgets the name of the character. It's not lost from actual saved character sheet, but CB shows up blank in that field (complete with the step being not checked as done), and won't save anythign you put there. The only solution is to reload whole CB.
My current dashed-off list of issues, in case you're missing any:

Signfiicant problems:

Scroll wheel non-functional

Constant error fails

No way to see a panel of all mundane weapons, proficient or not. This is valuable in picking feats. If you can;t see the weapons you're NOT proficient with, how do you know which feat to take?

TINY font size in marketplace inventory.

NO LFR CAMPAIGN SETTING.  Or campaign setting options at all, for that matter - no ability to disable certain content for selection.

The MAJOR bug which occurred for me every time I tried to make a quick essentials mage, which led the builder to crash, and repeatedly crash when refreshed, offering either reloading a blank level 0 character (at which point it hangs with an error message), or discard it, at which point selecting any option past the main menu causes the same crash.  Can be rectified by loading a saved character, or importing a character, but I guess new subscribers are SoL if it happens on their first time through.

General interface annoyances:

Slow loading after ANY click.

Having to bring up a popup for ANY selection

No option to buy multiple items at a time, particularly important for alchemical and ritual components, ammunition etc.

Cannot sort by cost in shop.

Doesn't include full class descriptions.

It's a popup. It should load in the page the link is on, or in a new tab. Popups are so 2007.

Ranger fighting styles ALL listed followed by the choice bolded on essentials sheet.

I know there are more. I'll put them in if I come across them - but there's a good thread for such errors in the CharOps board.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Missing most of the feats from the Dragon 391 article, Winning Races: Dwarves - Favored of the All-Father

i.e. Knock Back is available but Resolute Stamina is not.

Missing Feature: Some functionality or option is not present.

Missing Feature: No Essentails Style Assassin

It's not in there because they only included Dragon Magazines up to 390. The Executioner Assassin is from Dragon Magazine 391.

Can we remove this from the list of errors?

Missing most of the feats from the Dragon 391 article, Winning Races: Dwarves - Favored of the All-Father

They might be in the process of updating to Dragon Magazine 391, but it is not listed as completely included.
I have not reported this to Customer Service.  I mentioned it on another thread, but don't see it linked to here:

On the character sheet, it displays feats that you have re-trained out of as well as the new ones.  So for example if you retrain "toughness" to be "superior will", your character sheet will show you as having both toughness and superior will.  
Not really an error or a bug, however...

After a couple of years using the old CB, I still close the window to get rid of the character sheet display!
I've submitted the following two items as bugs.

1) Crescent Moon (level 7 Paladin power from Dragon 386) still is calculating to-hit using the wrong weapon.  It's a slightly strange power in that it's ranged, but is meant to be usable with all weapon types (including melee).

2) When creating a PDF of the character sheet using the virtual printer installed by the CutePDF software, the spool file is enormous.  898MB (yes, just shy of a gigabyte) of enormous for a six page character sheet.  This will lead to all sorts of issues related to slow processing and problems for those who are running low on disk space on their main Windows drive.
Tibis Refugee of many worlds
No carriage returns allowed in campaign notes/companioesn & allies!  Makes it tough to type out a 'tall' list, or seperate multiple items/notes.
Dragonshards are non-functional. You can purchase them but cannot add them to a weapon or get their bonuses to show up.

2) When creating a PDF of the character sheet using the virtual printer installed by the CutePDF software, the spool file is enormous.  898MB (yes, just shy of a gigabyte) of enormous for a six page character sheet.  This will lead to all sorts of issues related to slow processing and problems for those who are running low on disk space on their main Windows drive.

This might just be you. I just tested with cutepdf and didn't have this problem. Albeit, cutepdf does have a history of overlarge file sizes but not typically that large (no 6 page pdf should need a gig size spool file).
I can second the experience point calculations being off.  At level 19 with 122k xp, my character sheet says that my next level is at 175k xp.
Novice Power won't let me select a multiclass power at all.
I can second the experience point calculations being off.  At level 19 with 122k xp, my character sheet says that my next level is at 175k xp.

This was actually noticed on one of the character sheet preview pictures and pointed out.  Good to know that a simple fix like that couldn't even be implemented.
Anyone care to guess why my auto build changeling assassin was equipped with a ki-focus greatsword?

And yeah, the 'next XP for level' bug is just ludicours not to have been fixed.

Also, why are the pages in the character sheet 'different sizes' when previewing?

As a side note, I have in fact fired people for developing test plans that allowed these sorts of bugs to get through testing!  There's zero evidence of beta testing, let alone decent quality control here.  Some of these bugs are just amateur.  Sure, the overall CB is reasonably stable (for me, I know thats not everyone's experience right now), and the recover character feature is good.  But I've personally encountered dozens of bugs (many of which are already reported by others) without even really trying to break anything.
Another one: unless I'm very much mistaken, there's no option anyway to pick whether or not a character is spellscarred.  Any feats with spellscars as prerequisites appear at all times, despite not HAVING a spell scar, or any way to decide whether or not to do so.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I can not seem to select a non-essentials paragon path for my Essentials Enchanter mage. I don't see the option anywhere to pick the paragon path I want and it just defaults to the one on essentials.
Languages: No space on either character sheet choice for them. No option to choose a language during character creation for those races that have a choice (edit: goliaths got a choice, humans didn't for example).

This might just be you. I just tested with cutepdf and didn't have this problem. Albeit, cutepdf does have a history of overlarge file sizes but not typically that large (no 6 page pdf should need a gig size spool file).

What OS are you on?  I've got Win 7 32 bit on this machine.  It may be an entertaining intersect of Silverlight / WPF / Windows / Printer driver.

Edit: To make it clear, the resulting PDF was bout 6MB in size; it's the spool file that was processed that's enormous.  Also, printing to a HP LaserJet led to a similarly large spool file.  It's almost as if it's spooling an uncompressed bitmap of each page.
Tibis Refugee of many worlds
I'm going to make an attempt to compile the list of errors that people are reporting on the forums.

Error: Cannot Import Character
Possible Solution: Do not use any spaces or special characters in the file name.
Possible Solution: Do not import a character with house rule elements, or a hybrid character.
Possible Solution: Open Character in latest version of CB Classic, resave it, and try again.
Possible Solution: Remove any journal entries

AL,

I eliminated the Journal entries as an issue, it was PC has not been saved under the latest version of Classic CB.

Bryan Blumklotz

Note that half of the feats in that article were shitcanned by the staff between the article's initial appearance and the final compilation, so I think that's more that half of those feats were either terrible or overpowered and were removed from existence - it's not a CB issue. 
When equipping a +3 mighty ki focus on my monk, I do not get the enhancement bonus to my attack or damage rolls.  I do get the +1 to attacks vs. Ref. though (strange).
Forgot what they called this in the CB, but the check box that applied the mathematical adjustments to AC and NADs for non- or low-magic campaigns seems to be missing or unimplemented. That one is important to those of us playing Dark Sun.
Myopia: lack of foresight or discernment; obtuseness.
Off-hand weapons are not listed on any power cards; especially relevant for powers requiring you to attack with them.
Tested the builder during lunch.  Noted the following performance problems:

(This is not a filespace/memory issue, nor is it an available CPU problem.)

When attempting to print, froze up and required a force close of Firefox.
Noted that the memory footprint varied from 250Mb when just loaded to half a gig before I force closed.  If this is actually the memory required to run the program...
When viewing anything with a side scroll bar, sometimes it would "stick" to where I couldn't get it to stop scrolling when I moved my mouse.  When that was working correctly, scrolling sometimes lagged 2-5 seconds behind mouse movement.
Randomly would take long between button presses for a response, but I assume this is just (sometimes not very acceptable) server lag.
Some feats did not have summaries on the character sheet. 
If needed, I'll happily supply more system details or testing information.  I don't think this program is at a point where I'd pay for it yet, but I'd like to see it reach that point.

This is not a filespace/memory issue, nor is it available CPU.
Vanished Lands - 3.5 Post-Apoc Low-Tech Low-Magic game .

What OS are you on?  I've got Win 7 32 bit on this machine.  It may be an entertaining intersect of Silverlight / WPF / Windows / Printer driver.

Edit: To make it clear, the resulting PDF was bout 6MB in size; it's the spool file that was processed that's enormous.  Also, printing to a HP LaserJet led to a similarly large spool file.  It's almost as if it's spooling an uncompressed bitmap of each page.

Win 7 64.

I have three different pdf writers, none were having this problem. Cute PDF used to have problems with spool size (what version are you using?) and for that plus its lack of customisation options I don't often use it myself, but my spooled file was nowhere near a gig.

Likewise printing went without a problem. An uncompressed bitmap of these page sizes still shouldn't be anywhere near a gig given I can get 6 uncompressed 300dpi A0 bitmaps for less than a gig.

Edit: The prog itself is, however, using 180mbs via firefox (albeit firefox sucks at memory handling) which is..excessive.
Staff implement doesn't appear to be functioning as a quarterstaff when equipped
I'm on new Macbook pro. When using Chrome the CB would freeze on me after selecting a power or piece of equipment, after restarting it would load up where i left, off but now when i hit create new custom character it pops up an error (can't copy and paste it but it says "ERROR: Template not found." On Safari it works fine, but it does need time to think after i select a power, worse when picking equipment, but it doesn't freeze.