New CB: "It's GARBAGE!"

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
I apologize in advance to Wotc for saying it like this, but your new character builder is GARBAGE.  It is a complete and utter dissapointment to those of us that were waiting for a new functional CB that incorporated both Darksun and essentials material.

1.  The program is painfully slow and uses a web-app that it's publisher (microsoft) isn't even supporting any more.

2.  You can not import old characters without having the application crash (or at least I can't).

3.  I am finding it impossible to make it through the char-creation of a simple 18th level character (and archery ranger is about as simple a it gets) without having a "template" or "object" error message (on feats that have been in play since PHB1 without change no less!) which completely destroys the character and can sometimes gum-up the CB.

4.  Even routine selections such as point buy stat buys are either painfully slow or crash without notice.

5. (And this is the final staw that kills this program for me):  You don't permit ANY houserules to be used whatsoever.  Come on Wotc!  Houserules have been an integral part of DnD since there has been DnD.  This one lack makes your application useless for almost all of us that actually use houserules such as bonus feats or non-standard attribute modifiers for races, let alone custom gear and/or custom feats and powers.

To quote Master Armorer Wade in DAO: "It's GARBAGE!  GARBAGE I say!"

I am saddened and completely disillusioned about the (lack of) quality and testing of such an important product for so many of us.

-Polaris
I'm right there with you.  The fact that I am unable to adapt anything to my campaign is ridiculous.  I had that functionality a few months ago.  This was not ready to go live.  Period.

The crashes, the freezing, the sheer amount of frustration...

UNPROFESSIONAL ON EVERY LEVEL.
*signed*
I just went to try it and it says I have to install something.  I thought the whole point was that I wouldn't have to install it?
And even if you go through the pain to create a character with this crappy programm you only get an character sheet that's even more crappy
So far the new CB seems to be described in two words:

EPIC FAIL

As it is right now the App simply isn't useable.

-Polaris
This is the first day.  Maybe its just overloaded?
This is the first day.  Maybe its just overloaded?

No excuse.  Many of the fundamental problems have little to do with bandwith (such as an utter lack of regard for houserules).

-Polaris
Yeah, freezes up every time I don't "quick generate" a character.
+1
Yeah, there are many serious issues.

As for the importing, if you want to keep trying, see my suggestions in this thread:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758....

It didn't work for me at all until I got some tech support and removed all custom elements.  Now it works every time.

If you can not import/support houseruled/custom elements in a character builder program then it is worthless.  Almost every table I've ever run or played in has had at least a few house rules.

-Polaris
Does not work on my chrome.

works on compatibility mode on IE8, but there's no ok button after selecting setting and level.

You're not combating piracy, Wotc, you are annoying your customers... geez... 

works on compatibility mode on IE8, but there's no ok button after selecting setting and level.

Like I said on other thread, if no one can or wants to download their stuff, then there isn't any more piracy so I guess you can in fact say that Wotc is fighting piracy......

-Polaris
works fine for me, have created a 4th level theif, 5th level dragon sorcerer, and 8th level hybrid cleric invoker with no problems.
works fine for me, have created a 4th level theif, 5th level dragon sorcerer, and 8th level hybrid cleric invoker with no problems.

I can get it to work, but it's notoriously unreliable.  I have yet to make it through a single attempt to build a character (of any type) without at least one freeze and/or outright crash and apparently my experience is typical.

-Polaris
What the hell was so bad about updating a very good portable program that ran from our own computers? WHY This Bananno WotC? WHY? What did we ever do to you other than give you our hard earned money? Then you turn around take our money, slap our faces, and kick us in the groin. You are a horribly little troll wotc, horrible and evil. I can see now that the Lord of the Nineth Hell must be in charge of your company because only Asmodeus knows what the heck has possessed this CB and its developers... I want my money back! or go back to the original character builder, update it and make it work for you new stuff, or cancel my subscription.. I will not shell out money for a incomplete product or one that is in the testing phase....

Garbage?..  that's a nice way of putting it.

Subjectively, I think the interface is horrific, but i do like some of the graphic content that was incorporated.

Objectively there are so many problems with this new builder it's unbelievable. Here is a few I have personally experienced.

like so many others, I have been unable to import any characters that have any house ruled info.
The app is slow.
I can't save a character file locally? I understand that "it isn't necessary" but when I make something, I prefer, at minimum, to at least have a copy for myself.
Poor support for content that has existed from day 1. as was already pointed out.
Silverlite?...  really?
the Item selection pages are just as awkward and backward as the new compendium format (updated from "pretty awesome and useful" to "wtf why is this taking so long, I know it's here why can't I find it".
I can't edit the Character Sheet anymore. maybe not a big deal for some, but I strongly dislike the base character sheet. so this is a big deal to me. besides it's just one more feature that the new improved version of the editor is lacking completely.

Doesn't work correctly in any browser I have except IE, which no self respecting individual uses.

Even then, the program still has issues resizing correctly some times. The first time I used the program I got frustrated because it took a minute to realize that the "continue" button was down the page and out of sight.

Also, none of the sroll bars will function with my mouse wheel. whats with that? Click to scroll, you have to be kidding me.

as everyone has pointed out...
No custom elements allowed?... seriously?  how do you play the game then?

on a different note. I was expecting that the new editor would blend essentials and 4e together in a way that the previous editor could not. perhaps this was never the goal, but i was disappointed to find that there was no blending.

Last thought on piracy.
they may have prevented some piracy, since as was stated, if no one wants the product then no one is going to pirate the product.

I for one will be continuing my subscription for two more months, and if i don't see some dramatic changes I’ll stop. Which is a shame, because i have been and insider since the beginning of 4e.
here’s the rub on that though..
having been an insider from the beginning, I only own a PH1 in actual hardback..
But quitting insider means going back to pen and paper. For that I will need the books.
If Wizard thinks that I’m going to go and buy all those books after being forced out of insider by a Garbage product.. they are mistaken.

I also think it is garbage. It is simply unusable for me because the character sheet it prints out is ugly and full of useless junk. Make the character sheet the way it used to be, and speed it up, and let me have more than 20 characters, and then I'd use it.
Let's add to garbage.

They've removed the ability to track what adventures my character has been in.

HAVE YOU WOTC IDIOTS HEARD OF LIVING FORGOTTEN REALMS?!?!?!?!?!

We need to track all that information for story rewards and the like.

We could do it in character builder, but you somehow forgot to put it in this new travesty?

With no updates to the working product, I'm hereby forced to use HL, at first it was a choice, but you guys can't even support your defacto standard D&D Campaign.

Totally useless Trash.
I also think it is garbage. It is simply unusable for me because the character sheet it prints out is ugly and full of useless junk. Make the character sheet the way it used to be, and speed it up, and let me have more than 20 characters, and then I'd use it.

Only 20 characters?  I haven't reached that yet, but that really sucks, I have over a hundred in the old builder.

This is disapointing. Looks like I will go back to buying books on the after market (that way wizard's only gets its cut once from the original purchaser).  I probably will cease buying new products and encourage my players to do the same. As for insider, I think I am going to have to cancel my subscription. No sense in wasting money on something that isn't going to add to my gaming experience.

I wonder if we could sue for false advertising... It is actually harder to build a character with this builder than it was with the old builder.
They also beleive they need to enforce what races you can select based on what campaign, for example when I make a new Dark Sun character, for some reason I can select Shardmind or Githyanki as the race, but NOT Warforged it only lists 38 races for a generic campaign but only 37 for a Dark Sun Character and the Warforged race is not selectable.  And you can't use themes without being in Dark Sun, and they are limiting what races you use based on the campaign. Options my butt they are enforcing their opinions so DMs can't run campaigns as they want if this tool is being used. So what gives?

I agree that this 'tool' is useless trash and calling it a tool is an insult to tools.

Ok so we just went from a great product to something I wouldn't pay $5 a year to use, as of right now I am going to continue using the old CB until Wizards decides to trash  the new Garbage.  My subscription is not going to be renewed as of now.

I can't import my own unique images either, I was really hooked on the old one because i could use artwork from anywhere as a portrait of my character... this is the sucks.

also it crashes when you try to update your gold on a imported character..

if you pick a eladrin, do not make it female... it will crash the app.

and yes, building a character here is slow...

i will say that the builder based character sheet, not the essential one is good looking though, finally the feats can be read completely, as well as class features and paragon class features.
Well it worked for the first 3 characters i put in, then i got the white screen of death. at the third step of building a Mul ranger in Darksun, and i have no idea why it went like that either. no error message or anything just a white screen and refreshing did nothing.
CENTER]IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)[/CENTER]
It wouldn't be so bad if, say, they did not already have a working Character Builder.  Starting from scratch could have issues, issues a lot of QA and beta testing would be needed to resolve. 

But they already had one.  It worked great.  A lot of us paid for it, I'm halfway through a second anual DDI subscription.  And they intentionally let it stagnate. 

So now not only did they release this garbage, but I have to go back and hack the offline Builder to work with newer content that should have been added back in August (Dark Sun). 
Let's add to garbage.

They've removed the ability to track what adventures my character has been in.

HAVE YOU WOTC IDIOTS HEARD OF LIVING FORGOTTEN REALMS?!?!?!?!?!

We need to track all that information for story rewards and the like.

We could do it in character builder, but you somehow forgot to put it in this new travesty.

Totally useless Trash.

They are no longer supporting LFR as a living campaign. Therefore there is no need for a journal entry. In the last page of the CCG there is a Adventure Log sheet you can use.

James Playing D&D since the Red Box of '83.
I wish I could call this garbage, but I can't.

Why? Because I can't even Launch the stupid program!!! All I get when I push the Launch button is a mostly black screen. There are some character portraits all pretty like on the right. It looks like there should be something in the big black empty spot, but there is nothing there. The page load says Done, so it's not just loading.

Sigh.

Yeah, I just built a 1st level Invoker and it crashed during Feat Selection!!!???

Can't Houserule?

+1 Garbage. No more renewal of my annual subscription.

Edit:  And no Superior Implement in the marketplace?  WTF?!
I was much happier with the previous CB.  If there isn't significant improvement, my subscription is over.
I apologize in advance to Wotc for saying it like this, but your new character builder is GARBAGE.  It is a complete and utter dissapointment to those of us that were waiting for a new functional CB that incorporated both Darksun and essentials material.

1.  The program is painfully slow and uses a web-app that it's publisher (microsoft) isn't even supporting any more.

2.  You can not import old characters without having the application crash (or at least I can't).

3.  I am finding it impossible to make it through the char-creation of a simple 18th level character (and archery ranger is about as simple a it gets) without having a "template" or "object" error message (on feats that have been in play since PHB1 without change no less!) which completely destroys the character and can sometimes gum-up the CB.

4.  Even routine selections such as point buy stat buys are either painfully slow or crash without notice.

5. (And this is the final staw that kills this program for me):  You don't permit ANY houserules to be used whatsoever.  Come on Wotc!  Houserules have been an integral part of DnD since there has been DnD.  This one lack makes your application useless for almost all of us that actually use houserules such as bonus feats or non-standard attribute modifiers for races, let alone custom gear and/or custom feats and powers.

To quote Master Armorer Wade in DAO: "It's GARBAGE!  GARBAGE I say!"

I am saddened and completely disillusioned about the (lack of) quality and testing of such an important product for so many of us.

-Polaris

I wanted to like it, because I liked the old CB so much, but I have tried several times to use it and have not had a half way good experience yet. I have tried to import some of my LFR characters, I have tried to create a custom Dark Sun character, I have tried to create a essentials character, I have tried to run the thing in firefox on Ubunta Linux (didn't work at all, but if it had, it would have made the web based version totally worthwhile). All have been very unsatisfactory. However, I do notice that if I use IE instead of firefox, it all works much better. I'm not surprised, since silverlight is a MS API. I guess that is both the blessing and curse of being based in Seattle.

Its sad that they couldn't just have kept the old character builder. That was one spiffy little program.

I for one am nothing but amazed that it is so buggy at launch. This clearly hasn't been tested.

I can't even create new characters without it crashing all the time. Select assassin, crash. Select ranger, try to pick a background, crash. It's not even beta, it's an alpha release.

I can understand why people are so upset. I expected new things to be added and more advanced functionality would take time. But for all the fanfare and convincing users of the benefits of the new CB. It would at least expect it to actually perform the basic functions of being to build an actual character.

What went wrong?
I think what went wrong was that they decided that getting a new CB out ASAP was the overriding goal, and nothing was more important than that (this is alluded to in the comments that they thought it was a better thing to deliver the new essentials and dark sun comment than have some of the missing features available - or at least, the quote was something to that effect).

It appears they may have been mistaken. 
im glad i pdl'd the old cb when i heard about this

Please quit spreading this FUD.  MS is still supporting it.  Is their main commercial app focus still on it?  No.  But enterprise application support (and just support in general), yes.  So your statement is false.

Works on Chrome for me... so it's not incompatible with Chrome... do you have any extensions loaded?  One of those might be causing your problems...
Add to the issues that you cant even build a legal pyromancer since it doesnt support the use of at-wills not in the heroes book. total waste of my time and money. thanks wotc, this is just as bad as giving us that little CD-ROM in the back of the 3.0 PHB that provided a vaporware program!
All of the games I am currently affiliated with (either as player or DM) use houserules to some extent.  As such, this new version of the character builder is literally unusable for any of the players affiliated with any of those games.

Looks like its time to revive the lost art of making D&D characters with a pencil, scratch paper, and books.  And by "books", I mean "the compendium".  Which also got a recent "upgrade" that has caused it to become objectivly worse than it formerly was (and worse looking, to boot).

What the hell happened?

All of the games I am currently affiliated with (either as player or DM) use houserules to some extent.  As such, this new version of the character builder is literally unusable for any of the players affiliated with any of those games.

Looks like its time to revive the lost art of making D&D characters with a pencil, scratch paper, and books.  And by "books", I mean "the compendium".  Which also got a recent "upgrade" that has caused it to become objectivly worse than it formerly was (and worse looking, to boot).

What the hell happened?

Monies happened
The ONE feature I loved about Character builder offline, was the selection of feats.  The original gave a brief description of the feat, what it required on the same line.  NOW i have know what each and every feat is or individually click the feats, you cant even use the down arrow...way to go wotc... i am cancelling my insider account and keeping my offline version, it may not have dark sun or essentials but i think i will manage.  Yell
Well, I was cautiously optimistic about the new CB, but this really has me thinking about cancelling my subscription and demanding my money back.
In this form, it is unusable for our game - no PDF export, PDF printing doesn't work right, no export for iplay4e and the character sheet is huge! We always tried to fit all important data (without power cards) on 1 page, now it's 3?
And the bugs, oh all the bugs... none of the characters in my game could be imported - and we use no houserules at all!
Not to mentions it's painfully slow.
"Rule 6: If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it. Rule 34: If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun Rule 37: There is no overkill. There is only 'Open Fire!' and 'Time To Reload!'" - from 'The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective Pirates'

Please quit spreading this FUD.  MS is still supporting it.  Is their main commercial app focus still on it?  No.  But enterprise application support (and just support in general), yes.  So your statement is false.

Aye.  Taking a visit to silverlight.net would do well to educate a lot of people.

Everything that is wrong with the character builder has nothing to do with Silverlight.

Celebrate our differences.

Sign In to post comments