The new Character Builder link is live; proceed with your complaints now =)

293 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.wizards.com/dnd/launch.aspx?x=dnd/dn...

Loads pretty quickly; I'm starting to play around with it now.
odd--old CB is still available for dowload/links take you to the old CB...
Shockingly enough, I got an error the first time I tried to use it, and had to reload.  I couldn't copy the error message in order to make a bug report.  Should have screenied it I guess.  Meh well.  Working now.

Or not.  Another error as soon as I try to make a Forgotten Realms character.  Error messge below:

Show
System.ServiceModel.FaultException: System.InvalidOperationException: Failed to initialize because CategoryName is missing.
   at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.InitializeImpl()
   at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter..ctor(String categoryName, String counterName, String instanceName, Boolean readOnly)
   at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter..ctor(String categoryName, String counterName, Boolean readOnly)
   at stupid(Object )
   at WotC.XAMLUtilities.LazyAttribute.CreateValue(Object owner) in e:\DDiApps\trunk\CharBuilderEssentials\DDiApps\CharBuilderEssentials\trunk\XAMLUtilities\Attributes\LazyAttribute.cs:line 52
   at WotC.XAMLUtilities.BaseEnsureValueAttribute.GetPropertyValue[T](Object owner, IDataSource dataSource, T& value) in e:\DDiApps\trunk\CharBuilderEssentials\DDiApps\CharBuilderEssentials\trunk\XAMLUtilities\Attributes\BaseEnsureValueAttribute.cs:line 43
   at WotC.XAMLUtilities.PropertyUpdatePropertyData.GetPropertyValue[TValueType](IDataSource dataSource, TValueType& value) in e:\DDiApps\trunk\CharBuilderEssentials\DDiApps\CharBuilderEssentials\trunk\XAMLUtilities\NotificationProperties\PropertyUpdatePropertyData.cs:line 289
   at WotC.WebServiceUtilities.Server.PerformanceCounterOperation.BeforeCall(String operationName, Object[] inputs) in e:\DDiApps\trunk\CharBuilderEssentials\DDiApps\CharBuilderEssentials\trunk\WebServiceUtilities.Server\PerformanceCounterBehavior.cs:line 346
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InspectInputsCore(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.EndCall(String action, Object[] outs, IAsyncResult result)
   at System.ServiceModel.ClientBase`1.ChannelBase`1.EndInvoke(String methodName, Object[] args, IAsyncResult result)
   at WotC.CharBuilder.DataModel.D20Workspace.D20WorkspaceServiceClient.D20WorkspaceServiceClientChannel.EndApply(IAsyncResult result)
   at WotC.CharBuilder.DataModel.D20Workspace.D20WorkspaceServiceClient.WotC.CharBuilder.DataModel.D20Workspace.ID20WorkspaceService.EndApply(IAsyncResult result)
   at WotC.XAMLUtilities.GeneralHelpers.<>c__DisplayClasse`2.b__d(IAsyncResult ar)
   at WotC.XAMLUtilities.GeneralHelpers.<>c__DisplayClass5`1.<>c__DisplayClass7.<>c__DisplayClass9.b__3()

So far, fail so epic.

Working again.  Scroll wheel doesn't work.  Gah.  Major gah, considering the lengths of the lists.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Freezes when I try to import a character.
Fails to load for me.  No error message.

What version of Silverlight do we need?  I have 3.?? installed.

It just takes a while I think.

That said, skills seem slow to calculate (atleast when tested on an imported level 30 character). Corection, everything related to math is slow, even just re-assigning your flex stat on an essentials dwarf knight.

It also cuts off the bottom of popup screens it seems, or some weird interaction with the scrollbar.

Also missing the nice summary feature of the old one.

It just takes a while I think.

That said, skills seem slow to calculate (atleast when tested on an imported level 30 character). Corection, everything related to math is slow, even just re-assigning your flex stat on an essentials dwarf knight.

It also cuts off the bottom of popup screens it seems, or some weird interaction with the scrollbar.

Also missing the nice summary feature of the old one.

Error message when I tried to import too. Undecided
Lol...my "Quick Essentials" thief had Crossbow Expertise AND Master at Arms, but bought a shortbow.

And apparently you can't buy weapons you're not proficient with.
My first complaint: I can't use it at all until I get home and can use my computer instead of my iPod
Ran into my first problem; I can't take a Hungry Longspear for Rakash. Only a Hungry Spear is available.

Seems we need 4.x , which I tragically cannot install at work.   I guess I'll have to wait till I get home to try this out.
just got an error and i cant cut and paste it

'failed to initialize bc category name is missing' then tells me to refresh and i cant

I encountered this once, and found that I was using a character that hadn't been opened/refreshed/saved in the classic CB for several updates.

I think the XML layout is probably just not what the new CB is looking for, which throws an error.

If you open and save that character in the last update of the CB, it should work - if it doesn't, well, let Customer Service know.  

WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

I think this uses Silverlight 4, though I can't speak with authority on the subject.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Its so slow. People said that the application version was slow.... well wait till you have tried this!
Also lack of ability to upload custom portraits is very disappointing, not to mention the restricted amount of characters you can have....

Oh yeah and getting errors:

CBcrash
I imported a low level character with no error, but it seems to have randomly dropped some feats and other selections.

It also lets me select alternate point buy values (24 rather than 22), but instead of marking it houserules (I know, I know... coming soon) it simply insists that that section isn't complete.
Point buy ability scores take at least one sec for each point i invest, not that great atm.
D&D Outsider since Nov 18th 2010, if you wonder about the little red dragon, this one is dedicated to the great VT community.
First character I try to import, crash.  Second character I try to import, crash.  XML problems all reporting issues with special characters in names or something to that effect, though I don't have any special characters in the characters name or the file name.  I suppose I'll submit a bug report.

I can't express how disappointed I am so I'll just stop before I say something I might regret later.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Its so slow. People said that the application version was slow.... well wait till you have tried this!
Also lack of ability to upload custom portraits is very disappointing, not to mention the restricted amount of characters you can have....

Oh yeah and getting errors:

same error but using darksun

This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below. Download this if you want a copy of the online cb on your hard drive. http://media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/CharacterBuilder/Client/155.231074/CharBuilder.xap export .dnd4e files from the online cb http://vecna.wizards.com/
Horrible layout on the character sheets.... what was wrong with the old ones? New essentials one isnt nice
Was this beta tested at ALL?!

In 5 minutes of use, I've come up against at least four errors requiring refresh and restart.  Make that 6 now.

And the shop seems hopelessly unintuitive.  There doesn't seem to be a way to see a panel with all the basic non-magical weapons with which the character is proficient.  At all.

Urge to end DDI sub... rising...  Compendium remains handy, so I might keep it regardless of whether the new builder is any good...  Depends how my job situation looks...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
There is no option to turn on inherent enhancement bonus for darksun chars?
Hey folks, just a reminder that the best way to report any bugs or technical problems is to use the Help Site.
Go to wizards.custhelp.com , log in using your forums account, then click the Email Us tab.

For topic, select Online Gaming, then D&D Insider, then Character Builder. In the body of the mail include as many details as possible.

Also, some issues relating to the web based Character Builder could be solved by making sure you have Silverlight installed. To check this, go to www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-sta...

You can also go here to troubleshoot Silverlight issues: www.microsoft.com/silverlight/faq/

Also, be sure to clear cookies and cache.

Hope that helps!
The X Soul feats for Revenants count as houseruled, and dont seem to be able to be selected (except by the example one who already has one).
Crashed towards the end of creating a warlock, while selecting a feat.

Very grateful that it recovered most of the character.
No issues whatsoever. Imported my two paladins....level 3 and level 30. The level 30 character took a few seconds longer. I experienced an error message while building a thief for Encounters. I relaunched the app in another window and it asked if I wanted to recover my thief. I did so, finished the build, and saved it with no problems.

I wonder if some of the problems people are having are due to their particular computers and browsers?

It would be nice if the scroll wheel on my mouse worked in the app.
Wicked slow loading, but i suppose that could be due to high traffic. First attempt to build a character crashed at race.
Clicked custom..... nothing happened for 4mins..... reloaded page... not looking good
Home Campaign Mage can't take Winged Horde or Phantom Bolt at wills..
On Essentials: Everyone deserves to play a class they enjoy. Hex Grid UserAndroid UserD&DMapTools
Dungeons & Dragons Compendium
Our House Rules
Index of 4e Errata
thief can't buy daggers?
Hey folks, just a reminder that the best way to report any bugs or technical problems is to use the Help Site.
Go to wizards.custhelp.com , log in using your forums account, then click the Email Us tab.

For topic, select Online Gaming, then D&D Insider, then Character Builder. In the body of the mail include as many details as possible.

Also, some issues relating to the web based Character Builder could be solved by making sure you have Silverlight installed. To check this, go to www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-sta...

You can also go here to troubleshoot Silverlight issues: www.microsoft.com/silverlight/faq/

Also, be sure to clear cookies and cache.

Hope that helps!

I'm going to go ahead and hope, perhaps foolishly, that someone at WotC is paying attention to their official forums. I've run into 3 problems already and I am not taking the time out of my day to fill out a detailed email about each of them...
Dark Sun character suggestions on race:
Bullywug
Revenant
Wilden?

Did someone research any of this?! 
So, my first thoguht was, let's try and remake an existing character in the new CB.

it keeps crashing every time I try and add the bonuses for being above 4th level. That's not good, but it might be related to entering in custom scores for the attributes to begin with...
I'm going to go ahead and hope, perhaps foolishly, that someone at WotC is paying attention to their official forums. I've run into 3 problems already and I am not taking the time out of my day to fill out a detailed email about each of them...

Can't promise anything, but I bet if you keep an eye on the bottom of the thread, a few WotC_xxxx names will show up over the next hour or so.

Mudbunny and I will also be including this report (along with quotes) in the weekly report, so yes, this thread *will* be seen.

However, customer service tickets generate tracking numbers, and make problems far more manageable than just jotting down notes on a post someone made in the forums.

So, posting here is helpful, but not nearly so much as using Customer Service.  If you wanted to just file one report with several issues included, I think that would be a fine compromise.  Just take good notes.   

ok i figured out the to hit problem, it deletes your assigned ability bonuses (first ones you do). this cb needs some method of seeing number breakdowns, if you arent gonna put it on the sheet, put it on the builder somewhere so it is easy to troubleshoot wrong numbers, thanks
So far, fairly positive results.  I was finally able to put my level 3 dray warlord into Dark Sun.    One issue I had was trying to buy a weapon my character isn't proficient in.  I couldn't find where whip was listed in the marketplace.  It wasn't under simple or military one-handed weapons.  Not sure if this is a CB problem or user problem - given my lack of tech skills, my money's on the latter.

Other than that, with the standard caveat of "can't wait for houserules to be added", I liked it.  Looking forward to playing around with it some more later.  Really liked the keyword search feature - I could look at all the backgrounds that dragonborn were eligible for.  Nice. 
So, my first thoguht was, let's try and remake an existing character in the new CB.

it keeps crashing every time I try and add the bonuses for being above 4th level. That's not good, but it might be related to entering in custom scores for the attributes to begin with...

figured out the "problem" You have to go to the "roll dice" tab and enter the scores in, or it breaks it. that's just poor programming.

Was this beta tested at ALL?!

In 5 minutes of use, I've come up against at least four errors requiring refresh and restart.  Make that 6 now.

And the shop seems hopelessly unintuitive.  There doesn't seem to be a way to see a panel with all the basic non-magical weapons with which the character is proficient.  At all.

Urge to end DDI sub... rising...  Compendium remains handy, so I might keep it regardless of whether the new builder is any good...  Depends how my job situation looks...

Wizards not beta testing??? Where on Earth did you ever come up with something like that ?? (sarcasm)

Attempt 2 got to ability scores before s crashed. No custom pics = lame. God, i hope this gets better once traffic dies down. My first impression is that it's unusable as is.
I'm making characters on my Mac.

...I AM MAKING CHARACTERS ON MY MAC!! 
Attempt 2 got to ability scores before s crashed. No custom pics = lame. God, i hope this gets better once traffic dies down. My first impression is that it's unusable as is.

I'll be VERY surprised if this isn't added in the next couple updates. 

(note - that's my personal speculation, not a hint of any kind).