Roll a Twenty for My Friend Dave

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
A gaming partner and good friend of mine, David Dorton, passed away this morning. He was the kindest, most selfless person I've ever known. He was a wonderful and loving father, husband and friend. He has performed acts of charity for complete and total strangers that I probably wouldn't have the guts or honor to perform for family members. He was truly an inspirational man who judged his own happiness by the happiness of those around him.

A few months ago he was diagnosed with leukemia. His treatment was going well, and he was scheduled to receive what would hopefully be his last treatment tomorrow. The doctors told him that after this, his chances of being completely over the cancer and living out a completely normal life would be 80%. But his immune system was wrecked by the chemo, and he contracted pneumonia a few days ago. His kidneys failed last night, and today the doctors, despite their best effort, were unable to keep his tissue oxygenated fast enough. And so, he passed away at the age of 27.

After family and friends, Dave's biggest passion was Dungeons and Dragons. He truly loved the game. He was a power-gamer and a rules-lawyer and a monster slayer and an amateur thespian and everything between. He was neutral good and the closest thing to a real life paladin I've ever seen. Whenever he made characters--and he made a lot--he would always describe them in terms of just how easily those characters would destroy Orcus.

Well, the last time he played D&D was three days ago, which was the final session of our campaign that ended with E3 and a showdown with Orcus. Dave finally got to fight the Demon Prince, and he made good on all of his promises. We only had a four-man team, but you would have thought we were a legion. Dave's eladrin warlord led us to the most crushing victory of our entire campaign. Orcus just did not know who he was messing with when he stepped into the ring with this man who had spent the last two and a half years waiting for this fight.

D&D is something David shared with all of us here, but his real-life courage, honor and charity are things that we should all hope to achieve a fraction of in a lifetime much longer than the one in which he did so. As a tribute to this heroic man, I ask that the next time you roll a natural 20, you think about the people, like Dave, who despite being the best and brightest among us, were taken before their time. And if you aren't shy and don't have neighbors who would complain, shout out a battle cry for my friend who was a living, breathing goddamn D&D character.

I know this seems like an empty gesture, but you don't know how much something like this would have meant to him.

David Dorton: Fallen, but not forgotten.
so sorry to hear that gaz. rip david
My condolences to all his family and friends.

I'm glad to hear that Orcus got his comeuppance. 

A heroic battle.

Daniel. 
My condolences.  My current campaign has a lot of heroic good NPCs floating around.  I will name the next one I intriduce "Dorton" in your friend's memory.
Rest in Peace and sorry for your loss and for the loss of such a person in general.  Such people are rare and are truly unto themselves points of light in a world filled with mostly darkness, selfishness, and negativity. 
Keeps rolling to a 20 comes up
"Dorton" will be the patron of the group in my next campaign. He is sending the heroes on a quest to retrieve for him all of the pieces of the Rod of Seven Parts, a process that will span Heroic, Paragon, and Epic tiers, culminating in a battle with an Epic BBEG. In David's memory, that BBEG will now be Orcus.

Dorton will remain a trustworthy patron. No tricks or double-crosses.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Sorry for your loss and my most sincere condolences to all of David Dorton's family and relatives.
Some times even those with a short life manage to roll a twenty! Dorton may have to go on my good name for a paladin list. I have so many lists.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Rest in Peace, Dave.  The world is a better place because you graced it with your presence, albeit too briefly.
We must always remember the good and kind of this world as far too often only the despicable make footnotes in history. My gaming group will from here on out call a natural 20 a Dorton.
The horrible truth - "Their new marketing strategy (Evergreen Essentials) pretty much requires that anything new that sees print refer back almost exclusively to Essentials." Tony Vargas
Did he ever post on these boards?
Condolences.
I too will call one of my NPCs Dorton. - in rememberence of all DnDers who failed their final save ...
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
Condolences, man. Sounds like his last battle was epic.
Really sad to hear that. It's very hard to lose someone to circumstances such as this. You have my sympathy and prayers.

graymer
Sounds like a great guy.  Next natural 20 is for him...
My condolences.  My next natural 20(if not more) will be dedicated to him, and I shall insert a heroic NPC named Dorton as well.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
No one knows what comes next, but if there is a next, maybe with luck Gygax has a game going he can join in

You've done him a great honour remembering him though.
I don't play 4th edition D&D for Wizard's sake I play it for my sake.
My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your friend.
You have my condolences, Gazra. I can't even imagine what his friends and family must be going through.
Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I'll let the other guys in the group know there are now NPCs and PCs all over the country named Dorton. Dave would have loved that. Sincerely, thank you all.

Rian_King: I don't think he ever posted, but I know he browsed CharOp quite a bit. He was especially fond of lordduskblade and his guides.
He is now playing at the table of Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax.  I'm sure Orcus and Demogorgon are having a terrible time.
Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I'll let the other guys in the group know there are now NPCs and PCs all over the country named Dorton. Dave would have loved that. Sincerely, thank you all.

Rian_King: I don't think he ever posted, but I know he browsed CharOp quite a bit. He was especially fond of lordduskblade and his guides.

Make that all over the continent. In Canada here, I will be naming the aincient legendary hero NPC that was the light and hope of the game world as Dorton. In-game the character was the exemplary example of good, and although he is now gone from the world, his legend still lives on. Some believe he has ascended to become a Demi-God.
My little brother is in remission from leukemia, so I can relate to what his family and friends have gone through. There's a sponsored fund raiser every year in Boston in his name to raise money to cure this horrible disease. The fundraiser is called Dylan's Hope (it's actually a charity basketball game).

Give everyone my best.

Make that all over the continent. In Canada here, I will be naming the aincient legendary hero NPC that was the light and hope of the game world as Dorton. In-game the character was the exemplary example of good, and although he is now gone from the world, his legend still lives on. Some believe he has ascended to become a Demi-God.

Depending on how you look at it, consider it across the world.  I'll be putting Dorton into a game I run online, and though I'm in California, I know I have at least one player in Europe.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
Gaz sorry for the loss  here goes the crit... 

My condoleances to the friends and family and to his adventuring party. May the Warlord rest in peace.

Can you post his Eladrin here as a last hommage so to immortalize it  ?

Plague 
Gaz sorry for the loss  here goes the crit... 

My condoleances to the friends and family and to his adventuring party. May the Warlord rest in peace.

Can you post his Eladrin here as a last hommage so to immortalize it  ?

Plague 

Yeah, I'll get his CB file on Thursday and put it up here. Thanks for the words and the idea.

Samrin: I hope your little brother has a long and happy life.

Feeroper and Pashalik_Mons: I wanted to say world, but didn't know where everyone who posted is from. But I'll be sure to tell them, Dortons are still fighting the good fight all over the world. You guys are awesome!
Gazra -

I'm running a Dark Sun game tomorrow as a dual-DM experiment.  We've been talking about storyline stuff, and I needed to name a new benefactor NPC... so Dorton it is!

My condolences to his family, and to you as well.  My mother is fighting a battle against something similar and the chemo has wrecked her; I know this situation is absolutely terrible but know that this community will rally for support.

Dorton will be a lasting patron, foe of Yarnath the Skull (who weirdly enough bridges into the Acererak role FAR too easily), and champion campaigner of faith and trust.

edit: because I fail at spelling

Alan Patrick

Associate Community Manager, D&D Adventurers League

http://dndadventurersleague.org

My condolences.  My current campaign has a lot of heroic good NPCs floating around.  I will name the next one I intriduce "Dorton" in your friend's memory.

This is awesome.

Essentials zigged, when I wanted to continue zagging. Roll dice, not cars.
"Dorton" will be the patron of the group in my next campaign. He is sending the heroes on a quest to retrieve for him all of the pieces of the Rod of Seven Parts, a process that will span Heroic, Paragon, and Epic tiers, culminating in a battle with an Epic BBEG. In David's memory, that BBEG will now be Orcus.

Dorton will remain a trustworthy patron. No tricks or double-crosses.

As is this.

Gazra, although I never met your friend, I and the rest of us here shared a kinship with him.  He will be missed.

Thank you for honoring your friend, Gazra, so that we all can honor your friend.

May he roll crits in Heaven.  RIP Dave Dorton.
Essentials zigged, when I wanted to continue zagging. Roll dice, not cars.
The next time I create a noble and valiant paladin NPC in one of my campaigns, I will name him Dorton in honor of your friend.
My condolences to all who knew him.
Consider a Dorton added to my paragon game run out of a house in Kent, England.

Condolences to his family and friends!

OP: Just reading about your lost friend Dorton was inspiring, and I am further inspired by remarks and honourary namings other posters are going to implement in their own games. I'm so glad he got his final fight in with Orcus. Thanks for sharing with us, I wish you and his family all the best in this very difficult time. Next critical's for Dorton.... For Dorton!

My Condolences. Dorton will be a fine name for a future NPC in one of my games, in honor of your friend.
-I got ran over my a squirrel the other day. -I'm going to steal my own idea. -My fruits of labor are not fruits... *sniff* they're vegetables. *sobs*
My Condolences.
I've forwarded this thread to my gaming friends, to my parents, and to my mother-in-law who doesn't play D&D but has survived cancer.
I felt they all should know about David Dorton as well.

For Dorton!
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"
Warning: I waffle a lot.

My second ever game playing D&D (as well as second time ever DMing) is coming up this friday.  In the previous game, the players had to fight off zombie creatures in a mostly deserted market square.  While they fought, the few villagers around the square ran in fear, all save one, who stood and fought even though he was technically staring death in the face (he was a minion for god's sake).  Well, he dropped an enemy minion, managed to survive the battle.  The battle was won and all was good; the characters went and talked to the lord of the land and he wanted their help safeguarding his land.  At this point, my brother asks, "what about that villager, the one who helped us?"

Crap. 

He was chosen at random.  I rolled a 6 sider, and it came up 5, so 6 of five villagers ran away.  It was pure mechanics at work. I had no clue, so I just said that he would be honored and given a place within the guard. 

Later, after everyone left, I decided to give him a role as a recurring NPC, To show them how their works inspired this guy to be everything he could and really aim high.  The plan is to have him go from simple village minion no-name to guard to elite guard to (eventually) fighter or warlord-type material.  This one guy was going to follow them up through the entire campaign, but I had one big problem: I had no name for him.

Now, his name is Dorton. Laughing
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
You guys really are awesome.
In honor of your friend I made an NPC for my game and I named him Dorton. Here he is.

Dorton, level 30
Human, Paladin, Hospitaler, Radiant One
Build: Protecting Paladin
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 13, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 22, Cha 28.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 18.

AC: 47 Fort: 34 Reflex: 40 Will: 42
HP: 217 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 54

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +31, Religion +20, Endurance +17, Heal +26, Insight +26

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Arcana +15, Bluff +24, Dungeoneering +21, History +15, Intimidate +26, Nature +21, Perception +21, Stealth +12, Streetwise +24, Thievery +12, Athletics +12

FEATS
Human: Action Surge
Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 2: Toughness
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 6: Healing Hands
Level 8: Mark of Scribing
Level 10: Lightning Reflexes
Level 11: Armored by Faith
Level 12: Divine Channeler (Invoker)
Level 14: Foulborn Heritage
Level 16: Foreign Memories
Level 18: Ritual Caster
Level 20: Battle Hardened
Level 21: Human Perseverance
Level 22: Roll with It
Level 24: Action Recovery
Level 26: Just Sacrifice
Level 28: Fearsome Host
Level 30: Poison's Partner

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Ardent Strike
Divine Channeler (Invoker): Maledictor's Doom
Lay on Hands: Lay on Hands
Paladin at-will 1: Enfeebling Strike
Paladin at-will 1: Bolstering Strike
Paladin encounter 1: Shielding Smite
Paladin daily 1: Radiant Delirium
Paladin utility 2: Astral Speech
Paladin encounter 3: Righteous Smite
Paladin daily 5: Hallowed Circle
Paladin utility 6: Wrath of the Gods
Paladin encounter 7: Beckon Foe
Paladin daily 9: Crown of Glory
Paladin utility 10: Cleansing Spirit
Paladin encounter 13: Castigating Strike (replaces Shielding Smite)
Paladin daily 15: Wayfinder's Charge (replaces Radiant Delirium)
Paladin utility 16: Indomitable Ally
Paladin encounter 17: Fortifying Smite (replaces Castigating Strike)
Paladin daily 19: Smite the Soul (replaces Wayfinder's Charge)
Paladin utility 22: Fateful Cleansing
Paladin encounter 23: Resurgent Wrath (replaces Fortifying Smite)
Paladin daily 25: Harsh Verdict (replaces Smite the Soul)
Paladin encounter 27: Charge of the Dead (replaces Resurgent Wrath)
Paladin daily 29: Powerful Faith (replaces Harsh Verdict)

ITEMS
Vitality Drinking Longsword +6, Assassinbane Godplate Armor +6, Amulet of Elusive Prey +6, Adventurer's Kit, Heavy Shield
RITUALS
Raise Land, Amanuensis, Arcane Mark, Banish Vermin, Brew Potion, Detect Secret Doors

Evan, a member of our gaming group, made this for Dave. It's now hanging over where Dave used to sit at our table. This is the warlord he played, his character tokens and his dice (he hated d4s). And yes, he's wearing a tutu in the picture, lol. That's how we remember our goofy friend with the giant heart.

BIGGER PICTURE

The guys read this thread and they were overjoyed at your responses. Dave's wife also read it and it made her very happy. We all want to thank each and every one of you for making us feel better in the aftermath of this tragedy. Paul, who was the closest to Dave among us, printed out all of your responses and is going to have them framed as well.
My condolences for your loss. Though I never knew him, I wish I had. Would've loved to run a game with somebody like him...

The original core books said that this was our game too. It doesn't feel like that anymore.

Sign In to post comments