the Minecraft thread, or "how i learned to truly fear giant, hissing, green phallic objects"

371 posts / 0 new
Last post
so minecraft. the single player is free but the online portion isn't (10 francs / 13$ CAN)

it's a lego sandbox where you punch trees for wood, cows for leather, pigs for steak and chickens for feathers.

where you use your horadric cube to attach cobblestone to a stick and create a sword.

where you build yourself a dirt hovel so you can hide from leaping zombies, skeletal archers, spiders the size of horses, zombie pigmen, and the hissing horror itself: the creeper.

a game where you surround your fortress of solitude with a pit of lava, surrounded by a pit of water, surrounded by a pit of cacti, surrounded by a wall of fire.

and then you build a giant, floating, inverted ziggurat that reaches into the sky just so you can have a nice place to put your garden and not have to worry about having it explode on you.

welcome to minecraft and remember to reinforce your wallsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss~

here's a picture of my cruddy castle taken a while ago. it's missing the ludicrous defenses the current version has.
3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2
The extent of my knowledge of minecraft…
www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/9/17/
www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/9/20/

I am looking forward to trying it out.
Advice for DMs: When you are ad lib or improve DMing don't self-edit yourself. Some of the most fun you'll ever have is by just going with whatever crazy thing crosses your mind based on what your players are doing. Advice for Players: When your DM is ad libbing there are bound to be plot holes and inconsistencies that crop up. You'll all have a lot more fun if you just roll with it instead of nitpicking the details.
Previous Advice
Advice for DMs: Always dangle a lot of plot hooks in front of you players. Anything they do not bite you can bring back and bite them later. When considering a new house rule ask yourself the question "Will this make the game more fun?" Unless the answer is a resounding yes don't do it. Advice for Players: Always tell the DM not just what you want to do but also what you are hoping to accomplish. No matter how logical the result is it will never happen if it simply never occurred to the DM. "That's what my character would do" is not a valid excuse for being a disruptive ass at the table. Your right to have fun only extends to the point where it impedes the ability of others to do likewise.

Because I only screw around with the free version...

Show

A six-story castle I built in about 12 hours... It would have been much cooler with torches and such, but the free version only does so much...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Ah, Minecraft. More fun than a bucket of creeperssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
I HATE CREEPERS.
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO THEM
Resident Squeaker Quick! Get the Ritalin gun!- goldomark Also Known as: 1337133r0y, Fuzzy_Squeaker, ADHD
so my computer froze while playing minecraft

i reboot and i see my save is reading empty.

gulp.

so i reload and find...

it seems some chap has decided to fire a moon laser at my house.

you see the one, lone chest at the sea level floor? i lost 4 of those. full. of. stuff.

some inconsequential like sand and gravel. others... not so much. like my obsidian. and hellstone. and my 80 iron bars. or a few hundred red sand. and my 3 saddles.

and my dock. poor boat... it never even went for a single ride. i called it "Bateau".

i did rebuild my house and i the upcoming Oxyggurat was still safe. top layer is 75% complete. only need to do the last lip, build up the walls and add the roof. then it's onto detailing and i can finally refeal it.
3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2

....a moon laser?

Resident 1337 Speaker. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

....a moon laser?

/cough Death Star /cough

sun crusher is better ;)
Resident 1337 Speaker. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

....a moon laser?

/cough Death Star /cough

Or Dracula.
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
As in the guy that bites people? Because of that's what you're talking about I don't understand
As in the guy that bites people? Because of that's what you're talking about I don't understand

That means you're not familiar with The Adventures of Dr McNinja comic, found here. Enjoy! :D
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png

That means you're not familiar with The Adventures of Dr McNinja comic, found here. Enjoy! :D

HA! that's neat.
so. minecraft keeps crashing my PC and suddenly i find myself reloading... to a spawn that is nowhere near Fort Awesome or the Oxyggurat.

you can imagine my frustration.

but like every child who's had his lego masterpiece destroyed by a parent requesting the dining table, i rebuilt.

heck, i was going for the "bigger, faster, stronger". i even had a proper monster trap and everything.

and then it crashed. 

and kicked me nowhere near Fort Dirthovel... and back to my original spawn. Fort Awesome was still up and under the shadow of the Oxyggurat. 

so i dug up the countryside with trenches using my newfound knowledge of digging moats/channels/waterways in hopes that some stupid monsters would drop into it and get carried away into my doom pit:

W_
      |___                               __
             |_________        | G |
                                    |      | G |
                                    |      | G |___
                                    |    W     | G |
                                    |___________ --

W is a water source
G is a glass block
-- is a half step

water goes down the slow slope. 3 blocks, down, 3 blocks, down, 3 blocks down and before the pit there is a stretch of 8 blocks (the limit of where water will spread but not overflow). monsters get pushed to the edge of the 8 blocks into the 4 block deep pit and the second water source at 2 blocks high will usually push them into the small space between the glass blocks and they will drown.

now, the bottom is 6 blocks wide: 3 for the drowning pit, 1 block the enemy path / to let items go through and 2 empty blocks to collect stuff. i added a half-step on the end to make escaping the pit easier. turns out it kinda saved my life.

see spiders are 2x2 blocks wide and long. just wide enough to fall into the pit. they also happen to be just 1 block tall... just small enough to inch through the item collection vent that creepers, zombies skeletons & cows can't pass through. so here i am on top of the bottom glass block, watching zombies, spiders, pigs, etc... fall down the chute to a watery grave... when i suddenly turn around to see:

SPIDER BREACH! I REPEAT SPIDER BRE... wait... the half-step sorta blocked the spider's entry. the ground is just uneven enough to allow it to pop out it's head or big 'ol spiderbutt yet still block it's way out. so i punched the horse-sized spider out.

i then added an access door+lever so i can manually kill the enemies who won't be good and drown. doing so i managed to get a gold record for my jukebox by punching a creeper near death, waiting for a skeleton to drop in, open the lever, the skeleton shoots the creeper, kills it, i close the hatch and punch out the skeleton from through the door. it plays a nice little tune.

the pit is at least 2 blocks deep, so monsters can't just jump out while they are caught in the current.

(...)

I humbly request a video.
(...)

I humbly request a video.

BAM! oxybe's pit trap.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoy-x-PPk6A

Do those things take damage from being submerged or is the door positioned in a way that lets you hit them without them hitting you? I see how it works for spiders clearly though.
And I thought the creepers exploded when dying, doesn't that damage glass? Or does it work on dirt exclusively?
towards the end of the movie you see 2 spiders: one stuck under the glass and one sortof behind it, occasionally glowing red.

that means it's been fully submerged long enough that it's actually drowning, just like what happens to your character. this works on all monsters, including the skeleton & zombie. the main thing keeping them there is the water pressure. you'll probably notice the "step" in the glass. that was deliberate to create a zone of drowning where water pressure pushes the enemy againsts the glass where he'll slowly drown.

now doors work in a funny way in minecraft. how you're positionned while facing a door will determine who can attack through it. what you want is your doors to open towards the inside of your house/cave/etc...

this way you can attack outside your house by standing in the entryway and attacking through the window. mobs wont hurt you. make sure the door opens INWARDS. if the door opens outwards, you won't be able to attack through it and monsters will be able to hurt you.

this means you'll be installing doors from the outside of your house looking in, rather then from the inside looking out

as for creepers, they only explode on their own volition so if you kill one manually or if it drowns, it simply dies and potentially drops gunpowder. if you really want to know, from experience i can assure you that an exploding creeper will destroy glass.

and your house.

also: the Oxyggurat! in all it's unfinished glory. the top part will be about 10 blocks high when finished and 56x56 blocks in size. i'll then add the decorative steps to give it the full "upsidedown ziggurat" look.

i will then plant a forest on top of it, simply because i can. you enter it from inside the lava spout. there is a wall of water stopping the lava from kill you and actually requires a waterfall elevator to go into it until you reach the ladders.

i've been thinking about trying something a bit different.

rather then use channels and hope monsters fall in: why don't i create my own "spawn zone"?

nothing too fancy. a 32x32 funnel with lip, and using the knowledge on channels where water pushes towards a murder pit, similar to the one i have next to my house.

by adding a top this should create a "cave" where monsters spawn and immediately get dragged into the central 2x2 vortex/pitfall. 

i've been thinking about how to create an automatic killing zone. same as in the video i posted at a height of 2 blocks from the ground, water currents will push enemies in now i figured if i add a series of cacti it should forcibly kill those that get sucked in but don't drown it should look like this from a topdown view:

____
|      | 
|WW|
|      |
|    C|
|      |
|C    |
|      | 
|    C| 
|      | 
ITEMS

theory says should work. undead/creepers should get pushed into a drowning zone, spiders should either get drowned or murdered via cacti. smaller oozes, should i be so lucky to get one to spawn, should get dragged under and killed via cacti. 

at this point i just to create a channel to my other murder hole and pick up the spoils. or so i hope.

You can create your own spawn zones?
Or do you mean monsters always spawn in specific type of environment and by building a copy you can make monsters spawn there?

Do they spawn in caves? In the free version my first instinct was to bury myself and swear off sunlight forever
critters in survival spawn anywhere there isn't light and is outside your line of sight/effect. a well-lit mine will be monster free. an unlit mine is a survival horror scenario.

i've more then often simply stepped outside my house to go get some firewood to have the sound of "Tsk. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS~" ring in my ears. 

it gets worse when you're near the adminium layer and there is lava nearby. boom goes the dynamite, and a lava flow eats your stuff.

critters in survival spawn anywhere there isn't light and is outside your line of sight/effect. a well-lit mine will be monster free. an unlit mine is a survival horror scenario.

i've more then often simply stepped outside my house to go get some firewood to have the sound of "Tsk. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS~" ring in my ears. 

it gets worse when you're near the adminium layer and there is lava nearby. boom goes the dynamite, and a lava flow eats your stuff.

Awful. I've always wanted to have my own Underdark.
Then again it wouldn't be Underdark without everything trying to kill you.

Arrrgh! lava! Yell

I had an absolutely beautiful "Endless Staircase" going down at least fifty blocks from the surface, and I hit a lava flow that swamped my last level before I could block it off... I spent about two freakin hours chasing my tail trying to work through it, but the damned thing was ridiculously deep and I had to settle for a "Reasonably-Nice-But-Not-Nearly-Endless Staircase"...  Cry

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

you have my condolences lol
oh look. i seem to have a mountain in my house and the zombies have come out to play...

man when it isn't space lasers, it's rogue landscapers.

****!

oh look. i seem to have a mountain in my house and the zombies have come out to play...

man when it isn't space lasers, it's rogue landscapers.

****!

Like with transport, the worst part about public servers is the public.
this isn't a public server though. this is my single player game.

everytime the game crashes some sort of shenanigans happen. go look at post 5 where i show my house (the same section even) having been obliterated by some orbital death laster.

I am befuddled by Minecraft.

I tried to download and install the free version but it said I must play it online once first. I went online and spent and hour bashing through blocks covered in yellow, orange and black spots in a massive underground cave (presumably one of the titular mines). I then spent and hour building a small keep. There were no monsters, I seemed to have unlimited resources, and nothing appeared to result from me bashing blocks. After doing all this it still refuses to let me install unless I try the online version first, something I had assumed I'd just done but with which the game seemingly disagrees..

WTF am I doing wrong?
Advice for DMs: When you are ad lib or improve DMing don't self-edit yourself. Some of the most fun you'll ever have is by just going with whatever crazy thing crosses your mind based on what your players are doing. Advice for Players: When your DM is ad libbing there are bound to be plot holes and inconsistencies that crop up. You'll all have a lot more fun if you just roll with it instead of nitpicking the details.
Previous Advice
Advice for DMs: Always dangle a lot of plot hooks in front of you players. Anything they do not bite you can bring back and bite them later. When considering a new house rule ask yourself the question "Will this make the game more fun?" Unless the answer is a resounding yes don't do it. Advice for Players: Always tell the DM not just what you want to do but also what you are hoping to accomplish. No matter how logical the result is it will never happen if it simply never occurred to the DM. "That's what my character would do" is not a valid excuse for being a disruptive ass at the table. Your right to have fun only extends to the point where it impedes the ability of others to do likewise.
I am befuddled by Minecraft.

I tried to download and install the free version but it said I must play it online once first. I went online and spent and hour bashing through blocks covered in yellow, orange and black spots in a massive underground cave (presumably one of the titular mines). I then spent and hour building a small keep. There were no monsters, I seemed to have unlimited resources, and nothing appeared to result from me bashing blocks. After doing all this it still refuses to let me install unless I try the online version first, something I had assumed I'd just done but with which the game seemingly disagrees..

WTF am I doing wrong?

That was the "creative mode" or something, in the free version. It has no monsters and you have unlimited blocks, but you can't actually craft things.
There's also a "survival mode" which I believe has monsters at all times and you collect things normally, but again, no crafting for you. And it doesn't save.
That was the "creative mode" or something, in the free version. It has no monsters and you have unlimited blocks, but you can't actually craft things.
There's also a "survival mode" which I believe has monsters at all times and you collect things normally, but again, no crafting for you. And it doesn't save.

Okay, but how do I get it to recognize I've "played the game online" so I can install it? I find the lack of documentation disturbring.
Previous Advice
it does sound like you're playing the creative/survival mode, you're playing strait from the browser, right?

the only way to play the alpha single/multi player version is to buy an account and download the .exe from http://www.minecraft.net/download.jsp. when you login, it installs whatever's needed, updates automatically and you can go from there.

the game does have a serious lack of documentation and i often find myself going to the minecraft wiki http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page for most of my needs.

So I bit the bullet and bought Minecraft a couple days ago. It is strangely compelling. If ever there was an argument for gameplay over graphics this is it.

Any pointers for a noob? Any hints one where to find the best ore types?

So far I've found a promising cavern/mine complex, built a small building for defense, and set up a workbench, forge, and a couple chests. I spend my days mining and hunting, my nights building. I've managed to fashion a moat by funneling available water sources but there must be a better way.

Anyone interested in forming an OTTer multiplayer world? Even if we're mostly just off doing our own thing I kinda like the idea of it being a shared world. Besides, it makes it so much easier to show off if the others can see it in person. ;)

And this is just nuts…

And this is kinda awesome…

Previous Advice

Though considering I got 44h in two weeks in Mount&Blade when I'm supposed to be working on projects, I'm the one to talk ;)
hehe. welcome to hell, population: you and more creepers you care to think of.

pointers?

always carry a stack of dirt & sand with you when exploring. dirt is easy to find & dig out of, so emergency shelters can be erected and taken down quickly. dirt is also nice to have on hand when exploring the lower levels (near bedrock/adminium) since you can find yourself opening a magma vein accidentally. dirt patches that quickly and can serve as a visual reminder of what's there, since stone is most common on those levels

sand is great for exploring since you can lob it at a wall and it will fall down, rather then defy gravity and stick to walls like dirt/cobblestone. it makes reaching slightly lower areas you want to explore less of a hassle overall. main reason i recommend sand over gravel is that gravel will sometimes leave some flint rather then a block when you dig it. if you've got a small amount of skill and don't care about spoils, you can use sand+gravity to bury monsters if you stand above them by quickly dropping 2 blocks.

when placing doors, place them outside while you're looking in. this will align the door with the outside of your building, allowing you to swing your fist/sword/bucket of milk/salmon at whatever is outside while blocking it's line of effect.

secure your spawn. build a nice area around it, keep a chest with a spare armor/sword/pick/bow/arrow/etc... whatever. if you die, you want to be able to quickly get your stuff back if possible.

i recommend always carrying 3 buckets: one lava (you can deploy it to create a defensive wall of magma while running away from monsters. can also be used as an emergency light), one water (2 uses : A-when exploring, you can turn lava into walkable terrain B-you can drop it on top of a cliff to create a waterslide/elevator up and down the shaft this works better then sand for large cliffs). third bucket i use to move lava and water found in the dungeon around.

any source of "fire" (lava, burning hellstone) should be kept at least 3-4 blocks away from any wood. trust me from experience.

never mine strait down. always mine one block away from you. this way you'll know if you've hit an underground cave without having to fall in to find out. conversely, never mine strait up as if you hit gravel or sand, it will fall and attempt to suffocate you.

redstone torches don't provide good light. i tried to use them to create ambiance in a throne room once. i returned to find my lordly seat besieged by spiders and skeletons.

i wouldn't mind one bit playing with the lot of ya' but i won't be able to host the server. MC crashes my computer a bit too often when i'm playing online

What oxybe said. And this:

Dig all the way down to the Adminium layer, which oxybe mentions above. It's essentially the bottom layer of the gameworld. About 16 layers above that is where you find diamond. You'll find a lot of iron, coal, and redstone there, too. Make sure you have a few steel picks handy so as not to waste diamond blocks. Once you develop a nice mining system, things take a turn for the awesome.

Also, keep your valuable isht in chests (two adjacent chests = one large chest), and keep as little as possible on your person (food, tools, weapons, dirt blocks, & sand). It makes getting 187ed by jerkass creepers less annoying.
Thanks for the advice. Seems I've already picked up a lot of the basics already.

Funny, I instantly saw the necessity of protecting my spawn point and built a small stone structure (over the pit that was so considerately excavated for me by a Creeper) but it never occurred to me to do the obvious and put an emergency chest in it. D'oh!
Previous Advice
also more on dirt: like i said in my talk about how sand follows gravity: dirt doesn't. you can usually place blocks 3-4 squares away from you (depending on how much you like inching off the edges). using dirt's gravity-defying powers you can create makeshift bridges to ledges you can't jump to and don't want to dig around to reach.

walls: wall should be made to surround your house. while i normally use walls of stone/cobble 1 thick, the smart thing to do is go : stone/cobble - sand/gravel - stone/cobble. why? well let's say you're patrolling outside your 1-block thick wall and you're snuck up behind by a creeper. BOOM. you now have a wall with a hole in it that any monster can walk in.

if you have a stone-gravel-stone wall, the gravel will fall directly into the hole made by the creeper. this is a good "backup" safety wall until you can fix it.

gold is purely visual and is as useful as wood when it comes to tools and the armor is about as good a leather. IE: a few hits and you're done. this isn't an JRPG where your golden armor is awesome. gold is good, however, to make a watch (4 gold bars in the cardinal points, red dust in the middle). this will give you a live update of what time it is outside. it also looks nice.

on food:

mushroom stew gives you the most bang (5 hearts), but is hard to get. mushrooms (in my experience) can't be harvested. the only way to find mushrooms is by exploring either the surface world or mines. mushrooms hate light, so unless they're under a tree/cave entrance/deep underground/etc... away from direct light, they will "explode" from the ground and eventually die.

i'm testing a few things out trying to harvest them underground, but it's not going good.

bacon, in game as in real life, is full of delicious HP (4 hearts) and will give you the most bang for your buck. i recommend making a "pasture" when you have a proper house and filling it with torches. torches spaced at least 3 squares between will allow for animals to spawn even at night. this makes farming pigs for meat (and cows for leather, sheep for wool & chickens for feathers) a LOT easier and almost on demand. it's pretty easy to make too since you just need to roast it over some wooden planks. keep 2-3 strips of delicious back bacon on hand when adventuring.

when at "home", i recommend using bread to heal (2.5 hearts). when you use the hoe on the ground, it will create a patch of treaded ground and sometimes a group of seeds will pop out. these seeds can be planed in arable land (treaded ground next to a patch of water) and will eventually spawn wheat. harvesting this wheat will give you wheat (duh) and 1-2 seeds. this pretty much means that wheat is the easiest means of getting cheap food since it's a resource that actually gives more then you put in.

3 wheat in a horizontal line will give you 1 bread. 4 bread will fully heal you. the main reason you don't carry lots of bread? 3 back bacons will heal only 1/2 hart less then 5 loaves of bread. lesson learned: protein is good for you.

fish is probably the worst. it can be caught in any pool of water but heals like a loaf of bread and still requires wood to cook like pork. if you're away from pigs/your farm, fishing is a good "last resort" if you're stuck somewhere and need health but it should be treated exactly like that: your absolute last resort.  

the last food is the golden apple. it heals all your hearts but is ridiculous to get: apples are only found (randomly) in chests, in dungeons. you then craft it by surrounding the apple with 8 gold block (blocks, not bricks. you need 9 bricks for 1 block). that's 72 gold bars needed plus a VERY rare item. it's really more of a bragging piece then anything else, but if you're really in a pinch, it's well... golden.

you know, the emergency chest only came to me later when i was online in multiplayer. the spawn point is vertiable town with lots of "emergency chests" for any poor minecrafters who die or newbies who need a start.

it's one of those things you just never think of but should be obvious. 

My thoughts on Minecraft can be summed up in one word: Minecrack.

Seriously, I'm eschewing both the new WoW expansion and a stack of unfinished (and even some unopened) 360 and PS3 games in favour of this beast. When I've got free time to play this is the game (toy? experience?) that has me ithcing to play it.

Also, found this online and thought it amusing:

Previous Advice
So, who is gonna setup the OTTer MineCrack server? I'm so down with that! [Everyone is playing Beta, right?]
Sir Casm, Lord of the Oblivious
Well, I'm gonna set up a server tonight, for OTTer Useage. You are all invited. I have a spare computer not doinging anything, so it will be left up for the next couple weeks I'm thinking.

Anyone who wants to come play, let me know and I'll PM you the IP Adress.

[I don't want to just put the IP adress up. If someone burns down my forest, I want to know that it was an otter arsonist and not some random lurker. The Troll you know, and all that.)

Edit: Beta server.
well, i honestly wouldn't be against playing with you folks.

i'm quite curious as to what you can come up with. for extra security, i have a recommendation: on the server we're currently playing in we have a "whitelist" which is effectively a VIP server mod; yer name's not on the list, yer not logging in even if you know the IP

i have a few "machines" i can build to help newbies with some resources including the fantabulous auto-cobbler (a never ending source of cobblestone for the builder who doesn't want to look further then his backyard!), the mob masher mk.3 (most people like this: free arrows, feathers, sulphur & string) & the automated cacti patch (cacti are a YMMV but they are a GREAT wall if you don't mind about being unable to reclaim mats. i remember building many a starter house with a cacti wall around it).

i would recommend a few things:
-an inn near the spawn where the users can store backup stuff in case they die
-communal tree farm
-communal wheat farm
-a wall around the spawn area

but yeah: the ox is in if you want him.

Built us a nice little sand castle at spawn point. Has a forge, a chest, and a work bench. Nice big lights on the towers. And easy access to a couple of unexplored natural cave systems from inside the fort itself.