D&D Windows Phone 7 Apps

21 posts / 0 new
Last post

Well, inspired by the similar thread about D&D IPhone Apps, here's a thread about D&D Apps on Windows Phone 7.

Despite being quite a new platform, the developer tools are so advanced that we already have at least 3 dice apps that can roll d20s. Their common denominator is the "Metro" Look of Windows Phone 7: don't try cheap immitations of reality (unless you develop a real game), give the info needed in a clear and elegant way - no shadows, no gradients. Once you get used to that, you'll see that it's an advantage, making applications "fit" into the theme, and facilitating navigation (as the user sees familiar patterns).

----------------Dice Rollers -----------
I cannot be very objective in my list, I'll start with my application: Goblin Dice Roller (at 1,29$, or 1,29€ with VAT included).
Here, the focus is on ad-hoc rolls: you can roll very fast what you want for many different RPG systems, faster than with real dice. Some features:

* multiple die sizes (including all dice used for damage rolls)
* automatic rerolling options (rolling for example a second die whenever you roll a 20, handy for 3rd edition critical confirmations) 
* manual rerolling (double tapping a roll in order to reroll only that die, useful for the brutal property) 
* the possibility to send your results to a friend by text or email 
* the possibility to manually remove rolls from your results (useful mostly for Legend of the 5 Rings and 7thSea)
* persistent results even if you switch to another application and come back to Goblin Dice Roller (this is NOT the by-default behaviour of applications in Windows Phone 7, but it is heavily recommended)
* French and German translation

The application will  be updated often. Please tell me if you're interested in a possibility to flick the phone to roll the dice (instead of pressing the roll button). I haven't included it because it's always faster to press the roll button, and because the accelerometer is hard on your battery (so I keep it turned off).
I could also expand the auto-rerolling option to reroll not only highs, but lows as well (which would be handy for the brutal weapon property). In this case, rerolling would be replacing the original roll, not adding to it. For the moment, you can have that effect by double tapping the unwanted roll.

An application following a very different paradigm, that will appeal to people who want to simulate the real experience, is DiceBox RPG. It has a free trial mode (as most apps in this list), but you can also get a teaser at www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9dnvp6Q1BQ.
More info at www.boneheadsoftware.com.   

There's also the Dice Bag application (at 2$, or 2€ with VAT included).
The focus is different here: it's optimized for saving your frequent dice pools (like your initiative roll, your basic weapon damage etc). In that sense, it's handy for a DnD player who plays the same character for some time. I haven't tried it yet, but the principle seems nice.

Finally, there are two applications called Dice Roller. Only one of them can roll d20s and it is free.
It has the functionality of adding a bonus to one or all your dice, and can roll up to 15 dice.
Otherwise it's quite basic: no selective rerolling,  texting or other advanced features.

---------------Other----------------------
D&D Hit Points Tracker is a handy application for tracking hit points, ongoing damage, healing etc. Simple and efficient. Available for free for 1 character, but 1$ gives you the possibility to have up to 10 different characters.

You're welcome to add more entries in this thread! 

I also have a WP7 Dice Rolling app. It's called DiceRollerPro. I focused it on allowing the user to save frequent dice rolls and frequently used modifiers.

For example, if you are playing a wizard with an intelligence modifier of 4 you'll probably be adding 4 to most of your spell damage rolls. A 4E Fireball would be 3d6 + int(4) for instance. If your character gets a boost to his intelligence that gives him a modifier of 5 though, it would be annoying to go through all of your saved rolls to change every 4 to a 5. With my app you can just change the saved intelligence modifier from a 4 to a 5 and all the saved rolls that used your modifier will now add your new int modifier to the roll results.

My app also keeps a recent roll history, and tracks roll statistics.

DiceRollerPro is available for $1 on the Zune marketplace
I also have a WP7 Dice Rolling app. It's called DiceRollerPro. I focused it on allowing the user to save frequent dice rolls and frequently used modifiers.
DiceRollerPro is available for $1 on the Zune marketplace

Very interesting! It seems more developed than Dice Bag for less money (but I had some trouble with the interface. Example: create a roll of 3d4, change the sign to minus, write 4 in the bonus, then change the sign back to plus and try to save. I had an exception. Nothing difficult to fix, but it needs some polishing.
Thanks for the input!

I went back and forth about the use of the +/- button. In an earlier stage of the app tapping the +/- would've changed the modifier from -4 to +4 in your example. But I decided to allow the +/- button to control more then just the modifier, for example if you entered 3d4 + 4 into my app, but then decided you only wanted it to be 2d4 + 4, you could change the +/- button to the minus (-) sign, hit d4 again and it would subtract 1 dice.

But maybe thats too complicated and I should just go back to having the +/- sign just control the modifier. I'm hoping yo get some reviews on the Zune marketplace so I have some user feedback to work on changes for a future version.

But maybe thats too complicated and I should just go back to having the +/- sign just control the modifier.

Yes, unless you have a help page, we cannot know this behaviour.

Just a small note: Goblin Dice Roller now handles d8s and up to 20 rolls.

During my spare time, I did a small application for WP7.

It allows you to roll multiple dice easily.
Just choose the number of faces and the number of dice and roll !

It's called Alea Jacta Est. It's free. And you can find it on the Zune Marketplace.

social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&i...

Any feedback would be greatly apreciated.  
During my spare time, I did a small application for WP7.

It allows you to roll multiple dice easily.
Just choose the number of faces and the number of dice and roll !

It's called Alea Jacta Est. It's free. And you can find it on the Zune Marketplace.

social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&i...

Any feedback would be greatly apreciated.  

I envy the name! It's very basic indeed, but easy to use. I suppose every one of us has his usage patterns.
I've created a widows phone 7 app.
It's puprpose to help tracking the HP of your character instead of using a pen and paper.
It is orginally called: "D&D Hit Points Tracker".
I also wrote a Similar app for Star wars SAGA called "Star Wars SAGA HP Tracker".

In both cases the trail version supports 1 character. The full version supports up to 10 characters.

Nice concept Levyavi. Handy! I will add the app to the list above.
I played with the trial version. Just some feedback:
1) The Use Surge button has a message with a small typo.
2) Could you default most controlls to empty instead of 0? Or otherwise, auto select the whole text when we enter the textbox, so we don't have to delete the existing value.
3) Could you provide a default calculation for bloodied value and healing surge value? (I don't know, though, how that goes with the GSL).  
Thanks tec-goblin.
I will implement some (or all) of your suggestions in the next update.
Hi,

I thought you might like to know about our new dice app called "DiceBox RPG". It's a 3D dice roller app for the Windows Phone 7 and it has a free trial mode.

Check out the video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9dnvp6Q1BQ.

More info at www.boneheadsoftware.com.
Thinking about picking up a windows phone, and this thread makes me pretty happy.   Just one quick question...  Is there a compendium App out yet?
. Now<--------------Very Soon--------Soon--------------->End of Time
Hey, I am back. @Teki. I don't think there's a compendium App, and I fear that with WotC's track record on IT development, they might promise one next year and we might have it in 3 years...

As for Dicebox, definitely something I waited to happen: an app that doesn't follow the metro UI style, but appeals to people who want to simulate the real experience (despite it being slightly slower). I will put it immediately in the reference list!

Hey guys!

I've just finished work on my D&D app and it has been submitted to the marketplace. Awaiting validation as we speak!

It's called DND Companion. The app is supposed to contain everything a player would need:

Dice Roller

Complete and entire 3.5th Spellbook

Simple Character Generator.

In future updates I hope to add an entire monster compendium too. Additional features already in development include a far more in-depth character manager - including inventory and statistics. You can find more about this on my website (www.tishlub.co.uk) when I finally add a page for the app.

I could really do with your support and feedback
New free initiative tracker in the WP7 app store

www.windowsphoneapplist.com/initiative_t...

Everything I post is an opinion, any perceptions you have to the contrary are not my problem. The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog Initiative Tracker for WP7 RPG Dice Calculator for WP7
New RPG Dice calculator application from FlyingDogHouse, it uses a calculator style interface to create, roll and save dice for your game.

Basically you enter a formula like this [3d6]+3+[2d10]-1 and it will roll it out for you.

www.windowsphoneapplist.com/rpg_dice_cal...

Oh and to insure it is as random as possible the app uses the cryptographic random functions from Microsoft.

thanks and happy gaming! 
Everything I post is an opinion, any perceptions you have to the contrary are not my problem. The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog Initiative Tracker for WP7 RPG Dice Calculator for WP7
Hey all "SpellsApp"

I just want to add a new tool "www.windowsphone.com/s?appId=d677707d-5f..."

its a tool to keep track of your characters... it has a nice basic trial, so you can all test the product before buying... But to get a fully featured character sheet tool you need to by the full vertion ...

It alsow have a dice roler, and inventory list for keeping track of all your items...

Product id: d677707d-5f39-4b00-b3a9-75866d3382af

App Name: SpellsApp

Hi again.
I just wanted to note that i resently made a "Big brother" vertion of the app for windows 8... Esencialy it's a porting of the Wp SpellsApp, and is has aolmst the same features af the phone vertion... 

The realy cool thing is that both the phone version "SpellsApp" and the WinRT / Win8 version "SpellsApp" both have SkyDrive syncronization features Meaning that you can easely share the same characters on multiple devices :-)

The link for the Windows 8 / RT version is:
 apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-US/app/spe...

Ps. I'm looking for feedback an has created a topic for feedback :-) 
Pss. Requests from users missing features are alsow WERRY welcome! 

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Currently I'm only getting feedback from "Dark herresy" players, so i would mutch apreciate hearing from DnD fans as well....

Hi,

I'd like to add my Windows 8 / RT app into the mix.

It is called "Dice Master" and it has just been published. I'd really appreciate any feedback and suggestion for improvement are welcome :-)

There is a free trial that will NEVER expire. Here is the link:

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/dice-master/5964a0d2-793f-418e-b634-7661bb2502cb

Dice Master (Troll) is now out for Windows Phone. Here is the link:

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=9269ad5d-1a77-4315-bca2-7fa509b6820f

Sign In to post comments