11/10/2010 BoaB: "Vampires for Halloween"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Take it from me. I have logged over 200 games with Bloodchief Ascension Decks. Straight aggro is not the way to go. The way to go is an aggro-combo deck that tops of with a game-ending Archive Trap. Yes, Bloodchief Ascension works that way. Yes, when you cast that archive trap, it will cause a 52-point life swing. Even if you're going up against a deck with enough lifegain to survive it, they're in single digits while you have aroud 40 life. When a spell that costs 0 half of your game 1s and is tutorable at instant speed for 1U will win the game for you, you include it.
Fight for the Cookie! click for a secret message!
Show
click (again) for a secret message!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ
Show
WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?
Creator of:
Show
Standard:
Show
Soul Stealer Angeltap Bloodchief Ascension Black Knights Infect Knights Mono-Green Control Turbo Bant The Solution
Extended:
Show
Tight Sight 2010 Dralnu Fog Extended Knights Kor Dad Bolas Ramp
Legacy:
Show
DragonForce Tight Sight 2011 Hulk-Tooth All-in-Black Wake
Wins I have Witnessed[sblock]
57070368 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
Even metallix is gone now.
I'm right here.
I really enjoyed this week's article.  It had all the components that many people want to see on BOAB (idea, budget deck, games, tweaks to deck build and finishes with a non-budget version for people who can either afford the other cards or have some of them via drafts etc).

I think disagreement on how the deck should be built is really interesting and certainly doesn't mean it is a bad article.
I enjoyed this article.

For next week:
My take on a standard burn deck would play Chandra's Spitfire and Kiln Fiend and if I played some more creatures I would definitely add Infiltration Lens.
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
I liked this article.  I have used Bloodchief Ascension in the past and I do agree that it isn't a particularly good centerpiece card, but a fairly good alternate win card.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I'm surprised that Skinrender wasn't featured in any of the lists from today, definitely a black staple. 

The first game played was underwhelming, it might as well have been a red deck wins match.

As for interesting red decks, I'm not sure there are any that people haven't already thought of.  I think if you could get Molten Psyche+Runeflare trap to work it would make an interesting decklist, not sure it can be done effectively though.  It would absolutely punish slow decks, but would whiff completely on aggro.  Just a suggestion.
Bloodchief Ascension is such a fun card (although not as fun as Sygg, River Cutthroat which it essentially replaced for me).  It was at its best when Blightning was still around (potentially 7 damage and 2 cards).  I also really loved playing it in Grixis/Sedraxis Spectre decks and got some good play out of Countersquall

The vampire engine deck seems very cool, although at one copy of Ascension I would hardly classify it as an Ascension deck anymore. 
I have been playing a B/r ascension deck for over a year and have recently been bring it to FNM and winning with it. Arc Trail is an all star!!
Also, it's much more fun with 4 copies of the ascension in the deck.
Grow old or die trying.
Would cards like blistergrub and howling banshee be useful for the budget version?  It would allow you to get counters on the board after the other player has defense in the way of your smaller creatures.  I understand that the point is to get an ascension down turn 1 and get the counters quickly, but that isn't always possible every game.  Burn is obviously nice to get the counters rolling, but you need a board presence as well against other aggro decks that can get bodies on the board quickly.