Character Builder Character Sheets

157 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm back as planned with some quick information and images. This time around it's the character sheet options that will be available in next week's Character Builder. Currently we have two different character sheet formats you can view and print out for your characters. Now, I am a bit late with this today so we'll get one up and I'll try to get the other up tomorrow.

The two formats we have are called "Essentials" and "Character Builder." I personally love the "Character Builder" format so I'll start with that one.

Without further preamble, here's the first page:

This first page has all the basics stats you would need from a quick glance including skills, defenses, hit points, attacks and passive numbers. This fits the same basic format I used for a lot of my character sheet builds in previous versions of the builder so I'm pretty happy with it. I often put my feats on that first page too after moving some fields around, but I'm really happy with how they look in this format as well. On that note, here's the second page:

I really like the space devoted to feats here - I don't have to worry about missing some of the feat information or having all that text crowded together. Same thing with Racial and class features. I leveled up the character I was using for previous examples up to 11 to grab some more feats and a paragon path so we could see some more of this space used.

I also want to note that I chose a class feature that might have the most text in the game - Wild Magic. I was relatively certain that the character sheet wouldn't include all the charts and text found in the book, but I wanted to see what it did actually display. This is one of those cases where you'll want to print off a copy of the charts and keep it with your character as the charts don't ever change as you level.

And to the last page with character info and equipment:

I didn't fill out everything as fully as I could have, but you should get a good idea of the features and available space on the sheet. The equipment slots easily show what's equipped where and is a good way to verify if you've equipped something of it's just sitting around in your inventory, and I love all the space dedicated to character info. But enough about what I like, let me know what you think.

I'll be back tomorrow and I'll add the "Essentials" character sheet that you've probably seen a few times already and I'll try to answer any questions about the sheets that are brought up. And also for your viewing pleasure (and possibly finding some bugs/issues) here are some more powers:

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

Sorry I just can't get behind a character sheet that looks like a blue box with a question mark in it.
Try again.
Amy My blog http://mistimp.blogspot.com
Looks pretty good, thanks Trevor. I think it's much less overload with that good amount of white space throughout, and aesthetically pleasing in general.
I like this alot.  With all the space on the feats page is it possible to get the full rules text, or the option to chose the short text or the full text?  This could possibly save some time from having to look it up if there's a question during play.

I also like the big box for tracking HP.  I know this fills up on my sheet quickly, I usually have to erase it once during an encounter.
Good looking stuff i like that the spaces for Feats is more large and clear to read. 3 sheets is a bit much though. Definitly like the new Power Cards layout.

Thanks Trevor for the sneek peek Laughing

Oh one thing Trevor,  the Sorcerer Daily Devour Magic is labeled as a Sorcerer Utility 10 at the bottom and clearly this is an Attack Power.

EDITED To Strikethrough

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Good looking stuff i like that the spaces for Feats is more large and clear to read. 3 sheets is a bit much though. Definitly like the new Power Cards layout.

Thanks Trevor for the sneek peek

Oh one thing Trevor,  the Sorcerer Daily Devour Magic is labeled as a Sorcerer Utility 10 at the bottom and clearly this is an Attack Power.

Nope, it's a utility power (as are all lvl 10 powers).
Oh yeah it destroy the conjurations porrbably more a Utility. You're right, i stand corrected. (I saw there was an Attack roll)

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Looks great, thanks for the preview.
Two issues. With the cards not showing any math nor showing any information for the secondary attack you are left guessing on the attack and damage numbers for the secondary attack (and with this character I'd bet a fair number of people would get it wrong - heck I wouldn't be surprised if the character builder would get it wrong)

Second - the character is wielding two implements that he could cast through - but only one of them has calculations done for it in the power cards.

(also kind of sad that it appears that there is no way to show Ensorcelled Blade in place of the Melee Basic attack on the first page)
Liking the character sheet layout Trevor - great job.

Please, please, please keep up the high levels of communications - especially about other stuff in the pipeline like what is happpening with the upcoming tools, in future.

Where would a pet, familiar, rituals, go?

Would they get their own dedcated sections added automatically?

Also, i didn't see the Alignment Paragon Path or Epic Destiny anywhere. Nor is a place to see Additional Effects For Spending Actions Points which used to be right under AP.

Also, current Conditions & Effect seem duplicated in the middle of the Sheet and to the right.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Looking good so far. Just one question, will you still be able to change the layout to landscape? My group finds it saves a lot of table space which means more room for the battle mat and snacks Smile

To be or not to be.......Bill couldn't decide if he like the idea of being a Bard or possibly a Warlord or maybe a Spell singer........
like i said in the duplicate thread, i know you want honesty, so ill tell you my honest opinion. i hate this character sheet. please have a character sheet that shows all of the number breakdowns like on the old cb. i cannot see myself playing with this sheet ever, i am actually kind of angry about it
But enough about what I like, let me know what you think.

Looks sharp.  Very readable and well put together.  However, the basic attacks section appears as though it could sprawl on forever unless its just tied to the weapons currently armed.  Sprawling over pages like that would break the nice layout you have posted.  If it is limited to in-use/readied weapons only, I could see it being problematic because it will require an internet connection to swap them out in game.  Thus, no quick lookup of the information on the sheet as laid out.  I'm guessing we will be using the power cards for multiple weapon situations.

Any hints on what to expect?
Over all, I like it, from a player point of view. Easier to read, as things are not crowded together.

Somethings I question, like current effects and conditions, having to write and erease takes it's toll on a character sheet.

I'd personally like to see more color in it, other then the portrait. I think it would be great if in time you could add your own custome design elements, and your own art for a portrait.

Out of curiosity...will that sheet be available as a blank PDF at any time? I like it, and it would be nice to have to tuck in the box for those "do it by hand moments."

I understand if not - it may not have even entered the thought process - but it's a nice-looking sheet.
I really don't like the amount of space taken up by the basic attacks.  My current character has 6 basic attacks that I choose to have displayed, and there's simply not room here for that.  I would hope that there's an option to choose which attacks are displayed, at least.  Admittedly, the current CB doesn't really have enough room when you have a long name (e.g. Death Shroud Ki Focused Greatsword), but at least you can see the to-hit and damage for everything without spilling over onto another page.

Other than that, I'm mostly indifferent.  I'm guessing that all the white space on the second page is where paragon path/ epic destiny info would go, and more space for those is a plus. 

I'll add a +1 to the vote for irrelevant info to be removed from power cards (that may have been on a different thread).  If I'm level 10, I don't need to see what the power does at level 21.
I notice that on page 1 and page 3, there is a solid line underneath each gradient.  However, that doesn't happen on Page 2.  I think that the solid line should be added on Page 2.

I think this sheet will find some decent appeal, but in order for the Char Builder itself to find a wider audience, we will need to see a sheet that is more compact, with more details and less white-space.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Transferring comments from the Duplicate Thread.

Hmmm.... pretty good.  I am a player who figures everything you need for your character can be placed on one page and the power cards.  So it seems like a LOT of space to me.  My players will be thrilled by the whole page for feats etc though (they always complain that their feats and class features get 'cut off' the old sheet).

That being said I would certainly use any other sheet design if it means not using three pages.  The third sheet seems a bit superflous.

Something like this sheet that is a slighty more advanced version of the Essentials sheet is perfect in my opinion. ;)
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Thank you for sharing this! I'm gonna poke over the power cards when I get to work.

I noticed on the card page that the name of the armor is cut off. This appears to be due to the inclusion of the masterwork name, which means all masterwork armors will have their name cut off.

Personally I don't care because you can see what armor is equipped by looking at the item slot list, but I suspect that this will drive some people crazy.

Interesting deicision to exclude a box with your ability modifier on the actual sheet.
Sure there is a Check Value section with your half level added in, but a great number of powers and effects require you to add your Mod only...

Additionally it seems as though any character that has more than one weapon of any type (melee or ranged) is going to have a very difficult time with this sheet and power card layout.  The font at the top of the power cards for example is simply too big (looking at devour magic, if there was a damage value for it we wouldn't be able to see the calculated total at the top of the card because the text is too long).

If you equip two different melee weapons, does the first page give you two boxes for melee basic attack?

Maybe we could see a ranger or tempest fighter screenshot? ;)

Trevor,

Will there be any ability to modify each field like the current CB has?  Or to rearrange them as we see fit?

frothsof, you already transferred your own, so I didn't include it here.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Nice character sheet but it brings up a question.  You have more space for feats, which is fine, but on the sheet in the old CB you often didn't need that much space because a whole lot of feats had no explanatory text whatsoever in the CB, the only thing that showed was the name of the feat.  Has that been fixed in this version?  Because I'd like to use that extra space.
I'm withholding judgement until I've actually used the new CB, but From this Charascter sheet, I do have one question--

WIll there be enough information on the sheet that you could manually update the sheet IRL int he event you level up, or are unable to maintain a subscription(sometimes life makes paying for subscriptions difficult, and I have to drop out for a couple of months. I have many of the books, so I would have the information to update a character, but would the character sheet provide the necessary math?)

The armor name is cut off on both the power card and the item slot -- there is no way to figure out what the enhancement bonus is without reverse calculating it from the total AC.

I would really like to have the attribute bonuses without half-level added; in fact, I'd rather have that than the other way around, if there's only room for one. I refer to the base attribute bonus way, way more often than I make an ability check.

I'm a big fan of showing the calculations. I think it's good to have a basic default character sheet without that info; I would also like the option of having one with that info.

I would really like to have the attribute bonuses without half-level added; in fact, I'd rather have that than the other way around, if there's only room for one. I refer to the base attribute bonus way, way more often than I make an ability check.

This. I've never met a gamer who couldn't figure out what half his level was, and how to add it into checks. On the other hand, I've noticed that players coming from 2E/AD&D have a hard time figuring out what the attribute bonuses are.

I'm a big fan of showing the calculations. I think it's good to have a basic default character sheet without that info; I would also like the option of having one with that info.

QFT

I'd be cool with a mouseover like effect, so I can see the calcs online if needed, but just have the numbers for the PDF.

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

Personally, I like the original character sheet that shows all the calculations better (I just like to know). I dislike the new"equipment" section. The paper doll just doesn't provide a substantial benefit for the amount of space taken. Well, actually I dislike the overall size of most the sections (the current HP box is ridiculously too big). Why are there two "Current condition" sections? I hope the original character sheet is added back as an option.
-Sartredes
Are there any pictures of the Essentials sheet that is also supposidly included?  I am assuming the one shown is NOT the Essentials version (hoping it is not perhaps).

NVM, I missed the line about being back tomorrow.  I'm a tard.

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

Also, i didn't see the Alignment Paragon Path or Epic Destiny anywhere.

Yeah I noticed that too (well I noticed the lack of PP and ED, but not Alignment).  That seems like a huge shortcoming.

Nor is a place to see Additional Effects For Spending Actions Points which used to be right under AP.

Wasn't that always just on the AP power card?  I actually prefer that since the card doubles as an AP "counter" as well, but the AP power card appears to be missing as well (any word on that?).

Also, current Conditions & Effect seem duplicated in the middle of the Sheet and to the right.

Good catch.  I guess I'm just quoting this too to reiterate all your findings.

I also think that the Effect text for Action Points and Second Wind really should be removed, or at least an option for it to be removed.  That's just a huge waste of space for anyone who has played more than 1 encounter.

Very nice.  Thank you for the extra info leading up to the release.  It's appreciated. 

I really like the huge space for feats and class powers.  Having just the name and a (very) shortened description on the classic sheet often led to our group perusing books in-session to remember exactly how the more complicated feats worked. 

Nitpicks and curiosities -
The background section names the background, but doesn't show a benefit.  Did you just not pick a mechanical benefit or is that not shown on the sheet?  If the latter, I'd like to see that changed so the mechanical benefit selected shows up there. 

When a holy symbol is used as an implement, it does not need to be held.  Should it have its own slot similar to Ki Focus? 

Ritutals - is there a section for these that's hidden because this character doesn't use them?  If not, where do they appear? 

Thanks again,
-Scot
I like the layout.  Can we please supress/get rid of the grey background swirlies, images, and backgrounds?  Inkjet cartridges are not cheap.  At least it's an improvement over the solid black on the old CB format.
Nice sheet...but... Why have the character name AND portrait repeated on the 3 first pages !?! This is a lost of working space !

Does this posting here of images from the character sheets and power cards (which has resulted in the discovery of numerous bugs and graphical gaffs) constitute the whole of the WOTC beta testing for this product?

What kind of testing has this product been through (if any)?

Do any of the testers (if any) play D&D? How could they not have noticed things like the defense for a power not being printed or the bonus for a weapon getting cut off?

I love the layout, by the way, but the poor programming that shows up in the images that were chosen (!) seems to indicate a lack of care or perhaps skill in the creation of this app.

Will all these known bugs/problems be fixed before the the 16th?

There are numerous easy to answer questions that have been asked over and over (Mounts included? Can we have custom portraits, etc. etc And glaringly, where are rituals?) but WOTC has not taken 5 minutes to answer. This is no change from the way things have always been but I did want to note this.

It would be idiotic to think that all bugs will be fixed by release. THere are literally thousands of powers to make sure work perfectly. Beta testing is not necessarily going to find all of these, given that there are billions of permutations.

If most of them work well, and there are only isolated problems, which when found are fixed promptly, it's a success. If, however, we find that every other power is bugged, and it's a month or more before these things are fixed(with everything being hosted by them, it shouldn't take a month to fix minor bugs), then there is a problem. thing is, we can't know until it is actually released, so complaining about it now is unneccesary and superfluous.

There are numerous easy to answer questions that have been asked over and over (Mounts included? Can we have custom portraits, etc. etc And glaringly, where are rituals?) but WOTC has not taken 5 minutes to answer. This is no change from the way things have always been but I did want to note this.

you should go back to trevor's post and READ the few sentences just before the power cards, and wait a little.

Trevor is viewing the thread right now by the way.
Yes, I did read that. Which is why I asked my questions above. Is this what passes for beta testing? Let me make the point more clear: I don't think these guys have done any testing.

It would be idiotic to suggest that all bugs will be fixed by release. It would also be disingenuous to suggest that I said that. I was asking about the KNOWN bugs that have cropped up just since WOTC tossed us some crumbs to look at.
Small niggling point about the power cards, you may want to move the attack vs def all on 1 line. It looks kinda of silly always running into the second line which looks to have enough room to support everything on 1 line.
very sad about this sheet
Nice sheet...but... Why have the character name AND portrait repeated on the 3 first pages !?! This is a lost of working space !

... good point.  Not to mention it's a waste of ink and page room, and therefore paper.  Unnecessary repetition FTL, especially when it adds to printing costs.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I think this sheet will find some decent appeal, but in order for the Char Builder itself to find a wider audience, we will need to see a sheet that is more compact, with more details and less white-space.

I agree with thos post.

I agree with this post, too.

I super-agree with this post.  This is one of the most important and frequently referenced pieces of information on the character sheet.
for players that need it, add the possibility to do a score sheet with all calculations. since you have to have them in the first place to print them, this should not be hard to do.

i actually like my character sheets to be neat, clean, compact, and have some other way readily available to confirm the math, which the old, and thus very likely the new, CB sucked at repeatedly.
Here be dragons: IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cydyvkj/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/c54g6ac/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/csw6fhj/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cbxbgmp/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cz7v5bd/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/ccg9eld/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/c8szhnn/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cp68b5u/.gif)
56767308 wrote:
Sadly, I don't think this has anything to do with wanting Next to be a great game. It has to do with wanting Next to determine who won the Edition War. [...] For those of us who just want D&D Next to be a good game, this is getting to be a real drag.
57870548 wrote:
I think I figured it out. This program is a character builder, not a character builder. It teaches patience, empathy, and tolerance. All most excellent character traits.

This first page has all the basics stats you would need from a quick glance including skills, defenses, hit points, attacks and passive numbers. This fits the same basic format I used for a lot of my character sheet builds in previous versions of the builder so I'm pretty happy with it.

So, no way to say this but be blunt (cause I really do appreciate the time and effort put into sharing and answering questions, but)...
What part of "quick glance" includes wasting space on the rules text for APs and Second Wind?  Do you know anyone who is likely to re-read that every time they're getting ready to spend one?

My biggest complaint about this version of the sheet is: Simplification for simplification's sake.
It's not easier or better or more intuitive to only list Ability + 1/2 Level in the attribute section.  It's simplifying things because that was the buzzword of the day.

Second is poor use of the space in general.  There's an overabundance of whitespace in some places - current HP and conditions, feats and class features.  And silly use of it elsewhere - the item-slot picture (which, to be honest, isn't very good-looking anyway), the aforementioned rules text.

Guess I'll be hand-writing all my characters until a real sheet comes along...
-VIC
Looking for work in IT or Logistics? Willing to relocate to western Michigan? Send me a PM.