New Gamma World Creature Review

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for new GAMMA WORLD creature submission and review. To start the ball rolling, I have the two dabbers below that I created for my group of dabber mercenaries the party will face on Wednesday...

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2010

Dabber Walking WoundedLevel 2 Minion Artillery
Small terrestrial humanoidXP 31

HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 16, Fortitude 13, Reflex 14, Will 13
Speed 6
Initiative +4
Perception +6
Low-light vision

STANDARD ACTIONS
 Short Sword (physical, weapon) * At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +7 vs. AC
Hit: 7 6 physical damage.
 Carbine (physical, weapon) * At-Will
Attack: Ranged 20 (one creature); +9 vs. AC
Hit: 9 7 physical damage.
TRIGGERED ACTIONS
 Telekinetic Reflex Burst (force) * Encounter
Trigger: The dabber drops to 0 hit points due to an attack from an adjacent enemy.
Attack (No Action): Close burst 1 (creatures in burst); +5 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 7 5 force damage, and the dabber knocks the target prone.
Skills Athletics +5, Stealth +9

Str 8 (+0)Dex 17 (+4)Wis 11 (+1)
Con 14 (+3)Int 14 (+3)Cha 14 (+3)

Equipment short sword, carbine

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2010

Dabber SergeantLevel 3 Controller (Leader)
Small terrestrial humanoidXP 150

HP 44; Bloodied 22
AC 17, Fortitude 14, Reflex 15, Will 16
Speed 6
Initiative +3
Perception +7
Low-light vision

STANDARD ACTIONS
 Short Sword (physical, weapon) * At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +8 vs. AC
Hit: 1d8 + 4 1d8 + 6 physical damage.
 Automatic Pistol (physical, weapon) * At-Will
Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); +8 vs. AC
Hit: 1d8 + 5 1d8 + 6 physical damage.
 Telekinetic Wave (force) * Recharge
Attack: Close blast 5 (creatures in blast); +5 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + 4 2d6 + 4 force damage, and the target is pushed 1 square and knocked prone.
Bark Orders * Encounter
Effect: Close burst 5 (up to 3 dabbers in burst); the dabber may attack with short sword or carbine as a free action.
TRIGGERED ACTIONS
Telekinetic Shield (force) * Encounter
Trigger: The sergeant is first bloodied.
Effect (Free Action): The sergreant gains a +5 bonus to AC and Reflex defense until the end of his next turn.
Skills Athletics +5, Stealth +8

Str 8 (+0)Dex 14 (+3)Wis 12 (+2)
Con 12 (+2)Int 14 (+3)Cha 17 (+4)

Equipment short sword, automatic pistol

Feel free to let me know what you think about them. I'm somewhat worried about my creature math so it would be nice to have an extra set of eyes look them over.

Have a great week!
Kerry

Hey Kerry,

Always nice to see more monsters out there. Thanks for posting.

As for your math; there is often some variability in damage numbers, so for all I know you may already know this, but you should be using the updated damage tables for monsters by level. This can be found in the Essentials books or in the Combined Errata for 4E or in the errata for the DMG. For example, a 3rd level monster would do a 1d8+6 to a single target. Your Dabber Sergeant does 1d8+4 or 1d8+5, but you may have done that on purpose. Similarly, an attack vs. multiple targets would normally do 1d6+5 with a 50-100% bonus for being an encounter power; your Dabber's encounter power is within this range, but should have a +6 attack bonus vs Fort rather than a +5. The Minion is much tougher than a standard minion of his level. Minions usually do 1/2 average damage on a hit; they should be doing 5-6 not 7-9.

But, as I say, there's often variation among monsters and you may have made them this way on purpose. Which is fine. Remember that there's no harm in simply raising a monster's level if you want him to do more damage or whatever. Especially with minions, whose hit points never change, simply raising the Walking Wounded's level might get him where you want him to be without changing his damage. And the PCs would get a bit more XP for them, which will get no complaints.

You can find various GW monsters I have made up in my GW folder on Google Docs. The Army of the Steam Queen is largely steampunk in theme while Prime Nation is made up of machine-gun wielding gorillas, Flying Monkeys, and Psychic Baboons. Fun stuff. 

Oh, did you use Monster Builder? It looks very nice. If you have a template or something of your own, I would love to steal it. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
RAD WIDOW

Thankfully, nature has seen fit to provide its own warning markings on this mutated black widow: three green triangles that meet at a point.

These radioactive spiders hunt throughout the ruins of Ancient cities. Their webs glow with sickly green radiation, and they use smaller strands to draw their prey to their doom. Their venom is both poisonous and radioactive.

Rad Widow stats

Gamma World stats: Change the monster's type from "natural beast" to "terrestrial beast" and ignore the Alignment/Languages line.

R

ad Widow    Level 3 Controller
Medium natural beast (spider)    XP 150
HP 43; Bloodied 22
AC 17; Fortitude 15; Reflex 15; Will 14
Speed 6, climb 6 (spider climb)
Immune radiation; Resist 5 poison; Vulnerability 5 fire
Initiative +3
Perception +6
Tremorsense 5
Traits
Web Walk
The spider ignores difficult terrain composed of webs.
Standard Actions
m Bite (radiation, poison) • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +8 vs. AC
Hit: 1d6 + 4 damage, and the target takes ongoing 5 poison and radiation damage (save ends).
C Web Casting (radiation) • At-Will
Attack: Close burst 3 (creatures in the burst); +7 vs. Reflex
Hit: The target is restrained (save ends).
Effect: Squares in the burst are difficult terrain until the end of the encounter. Any creature beginning its turn within the burst area take 10 radiation damage.
Move Actions
Scuttle Away • At-Will
Effect: The spider shifts 3 squares.
Minor Actions
R Nuclear Fishin' • At-Will
Attack: Ranged 5 (one creature); +7 vs. Fortitude
Hit: The spider pulls the target up to 3 squares.
Skills Athletics +8, Stealth +8
Str 14 (+3)    Dex 14 (+3)    Wis 11 (+1)
Con 11 (+1)    Int 1 (–4)    Cha 8 (+0)
Alignment unaligned     Languages —

© 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved. This formatted statistics block has been generated using the D&D Adventure Tools.
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
Nuclear Fishin'

I love that power name!
Kerry
As for your math; there is often some variability in damage numbers, so for all I know you may already know this, but you should be using the updated damage tables for monsters by level. This can be found in the Essentials books or in the Combined Errata for 4E or in the errata for the DMG. For example, a 3rd level monster would do a 1d8+6 to a single target. Your Dabber Sergeant does 1d8+4 or 1d8+5, but you may have done that on purpose. Similarly, an attack vs. multiple targets would normally do 1d6+5 with a 50-100% bonus for being an encounter power; your Dabber's encounter power is within this range, but should have a +6 attack bonus vs Fort rather than a +5.

I thought the new Essentials stuff might have changed some of the rules. I based the damage/powers on notes from the DMG, but obviously I need to check the new errata. Thanks! By the way, I checked my Essentials Rules Compendium for the monster creation rules but couldn't find any... where are they defined in the Essentials books?

The Minion is much tougher than a standard minion of his level. Minions usually do 1/2 average damage on a hit; they should be doing 5-6 not 7-9.

So you don't average the damage and then add the modifier? For example, the short sword for a dabber causes 1d8 + 4 physical damage so I simply added 4 + 4 to calculate the 8 points. If I understand you correctly, the minion short sword should cause 12/2 or 6 physical damage. What about the carbine? 15/2 or 7 physical damage?

Oh, did you use Monster Builder? It looks very nice. If you have a template or something of your own, I would love to steal it. 

I'm a software developer so I actually hand-edited the HTML to generate the table. The attack symbols are available under the Insert Icon button. I can't actually paste the HTML code below; it keeps being interpreted. Frown
I found the new errata and updated my monster block Laughing Thanks for the input!
Kerry
I suspect we'll be getting stats for most or all of the Cryptic Alliances to use as opponents in the next expansion, but until then, if you need a snooty knight of genetic purity and a few henchmen, here you go:

Knight Errant of Genetic Purity stats

Footman of Genetic Purity stats

Gamma World stats: Change creature types to "terrestrial humanoid." Change Arcana skill to Mechanics skill, Diplomacy skill to Interaction skill, and History skill to Conspiracy skill.
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.

Here's an idea I had for some Gamma World Monsters.  Wastewasps are humanoid wasps who create large hive zepplins, and scour the lands as raiders and pirates.

EDIT-Thanks ExcalibursZone

Also, I noticed the Queen doesn't have darkvision, as she should.

Not sure why the 2nd and 3rd are coming though so small...  Making them bigger (or trying to size them to original) makes them too blurry...

First off, like the idea you have for these critters

Second, try posting each picture in it's own spoiler tag. Just type (spoiler) insert your image and then type (/spoiler). Replace ( with left-bracket and ) with right-bracket.

That might force the forums to behave. They like to auto-size images.
I started adding support for Gamma World to my monster builder. I put DoctorComics Winged Monkey into the system. It is the old MM1 format at the moment with only minor changes for Gamma World. It appears to be adding Perception back to the skills line. There are a couple of different formats: View in browser, View bbcode, and View Html. That last one is designed to allow you to easily post here.

About the Winged Monkey, shouldn't the pistol shot's slowed effect have some end.

Winged MonkeyLevel 3  Lurker
Tiny extraterrestrial animate XP 150

Initiative +9Senses Perception +7

HP 28; Bloodied 14
AC 17; Fortitude 14, Reflex 16, Will 15
Speed 6, fly 6
Basic Ranged; Pistol Shot (standard; at-will)
Attack: (ranged 10) +8 vs AC

Hit: 1d8+6 damage and the target is slowed
Basic Melee; Big Teeth (standard; at-will)
Attack: (melee 1) +8 vs AC

Hit: 1d8+6 damage
Ranged; Gut Shot (standard; recharge 5)
Attack: (ranged 10) +6 vs Fort

Hit: 1d8+6 damage and ongoing 5 damage (save ends)
Melee; Seize (standard; at-will)
Attack: (melee 1) +6 vs Ref

Hit: The target is immobilized until the Winged Monkey is no longer adjacent to it. The target can escape from this effect with a successful Athletics check (DC 14) or Acrobatics check (DC 16). This escape attempt requires a move action and, if successful, the target may shift one square as part of the move action.
Carry Off (move; at-will)
Requirement: A single Winged Monkey can use this power on a small or smaller target and the Winged Monkey must have that target immobilized with Seize. If two or more Winged Monkeys are adjacent to a medium size target and the target is Seized by one of them, they can both use Carry Off on that target. Winged Monkeys cannot use Carry Off on a large or larger foe.

Effect: The Winged Monkey flies its speed and carries the target with it.
Skills Perception +7, Stealth +10

Str 12 (+2)Dex 19 (+5)Wis 16 (+4)
Con 16 (+4)Int 13 (+2)Cha 12 (+2)

Equipment Clothing, pistol, message case

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

RAD WIDOW

Did you consider adding an alpha flux effect to the bite? The radioactive spider could cause super-powers! Laughing

Kerry

dulsi: Right you are. Thanks for catching that. Make it "slowed till the end of its next turn."

Kerry: Glad you found the updates. So far, monster creation rules have not been included in the Essentials at all. I presumed they would be in the DM's Book, but they weren't, then presumed they MUST be in the Monster Vault, but they weren't. So I guess my DM's Guide still has a purpose. But Essentials does have the damage tables which you have also found in the rule updates.

Thanks for giving us updated versions!
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List

Here's a merchant / caravan master NPC if you need one:

Formerly known as Larry the Lounge Lizard, Lawrence Lampropholis is a skinny Sleeth merchant whose luck turned around when he stumbled onto a piece of functioning Omega Technology – a slick spandex suit studded with laser emitters.

The powerful suit makes it so that Larry can hold his own in a fight, especially coupled with his natural mutant ability of psionic invisibility.

The only problem is that the laser suit fires in a burst radius around him, which means that Larry's lost a few caravan shipments by blowing them up himself while successfully vaporizing bandits.

For this reason, Larry's now willing to work with adventuring types as convoy guards for his long trips between Two Suns and Los Wages. He has a sizable cache of Ancient junk which he'll use as payment, offering some in advance and the rest upon successful arrival at the caravan's destination.

Download Laser Suit Larry

After a D&D Gamma World session recently, one of my players suggested that I should write up some monsters with a Southwest flavor. Here are four for you to enjoy: the taran-cholla, a mix between a giant tarantula and a jumping cholla; the meep (velocitus incalculii), a high-speed flightless bird; the snoburr, another flightless bird often used as an organic air conditioner; and the healer monster, a radioactive giant gila monster that generates a healing field.

Download Mutant Menaces of the Southwest here!